What parts for XPEL - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parts for XPEL

Old 11-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #21
JDMUSCLE
CF Senior Member

Don't forget to do the door cups... the get beat up by your fingers every time you try to open the doors.
JDMUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:53 AM   #22
AllFlash
CF Senior Member

I did XPel on the entire car including roof. I was lucky that I did the roof as a truck through up a decent sized rock that would have damaged the front of the top, but mandated replacement of the XPel only. I have 40000km (25000m) on my car and there is not a single mark anywhere, this surprising as i hunt enthusiast roads and run the car hard. The Xpel eliminates any need for waxing or detailing other than an occasional spray and eliminates any trace of swirl marks. It is also self healing so any dings disappear. Good luck!

AllFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:15 AM   #23
10-7 OD
CF Senior Member

I had the following covered on my '16 Z07:
  • Front bumper
  • Front brake ducts (partially)
  • Front fenders
  • Hood
  • Hood radiator air vent slats
  • Headlights
  • Front splitter
  • Front splitter end plates
  • Side rocker sills beneath doors
  • Mirror housings (partially)
  • Side skirts
  • Rear brake ducts
  • Rear fenders
  • Door handle cups
10-7 OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #24
jordanC6Z06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllFlash View Post
I did XPel on the entire car including roof. I was lucky that I did the roof as a truck through up a decent sized rock that would have damaged the front of the top, but mandated replacement of the XPel only. I have 40000km (25000m) on my car and there is not a single mark anywhere, this surprising as i hunt enthusiast roads and run the car hard. The Xpel eliminates any need for waxing or detailing other than an occasional spray and eliminates any trace of swirl marks. It is also self healing so any dings disappear. Good luck!

what was the bill for the entire car?
jordanC6Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #25
tail_lights
CF Senior Member

Besides the obvious front sections I would recommend the rear fender as some have mentioned. I have recently installed the skirts and after some canyon carving there is definitely still road debris hitting from the brake ducts to the gas cap area. I like that my headlights are done as well.
tail_lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #26
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Thanked 1,312 Times in 923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16/C7Z View Post
Bill xpel? Thought Xpel is self healing?
Not so you could tell.

Here are some pictures of the damage that will not heal itself away. The car is a Z07 with side skirts and the extra wide ACS Mud Guards.

Left rear rocker panel and brake duct area:

Right side is similar.

Front fascia:

The installer checked with Xpel and these spots are not covered by the 10 year warranty.

As for how much of the front do you need to do here is all that is needed. Just the front of the hood and the front of the front fender and the front fascia.

When clean you can just barely see the line going across the fenders and the hood. I have 17 track days on the car and have only had minor rubber smearing on the hood past this point. No chips. On the street you have a good chance of getting by without any covering on the front since there is so little thrown up in the air to hit at high speeds. On track the tires throw chunks of hot rubber with asphalt stones embedded in them that you run into at 150 mph.

Mentioning the rubber being thrown brings one other thing to mind. The stuff is a lot harder to get off Xpel than it is to get off paint. Bug and tar cleaner seems to work much better on paint than it does on a vinyl.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-05-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Bill Dearborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #27
AZCGZ16

Does anyone have first hand experience with a good XPEL installer in the Phoenix Az area?
AZCGZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #28
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCGZ16 View Post
Does anyone have first hand experience with a good XPEL installer in the Phoenix Az area?
Others may chime in later, but to find an XPEL installer, you can visit: XPEL Arizona

Keep in mind these are what we typically see across the country and it can vary with these factors:
- Where you live
- Demand for paint protection film
- Size of your vehicle

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24 up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 - $8,000.

When you do find an installer:

- Be sure to ask for wrapped edges where possible (meaning that the film will wrap over the edge of the panel)
- Visit their shop and look at some of their installations they've completed, as certain installers may do things differently
- Exam the installation to see if the visible seams are close the edge of the body panel
- You can ask them if they've wrapped your vehicle before, some installers may have wrapped a few, some may have wrapped a hundred...it's best to find an installer you feel comfortable leaving your pride and joy with.
XPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #29
Jet Stream Blue Z06
CF Senior Member

I had Expel put on everything except the rear deck lid and the top and I am glad that I did. I scrapped my side skirt on a curb yesterday and I thought I was going to have to get it repainted (see below)

Luckily, most of the damage was to the Expel. I removed the Expel and I was able to fix most of the damage with some polishing compound. I need a little touch up paint for the edge and I need to get it covered in Expel again. I couldn't believe it.

What a great product.

Phil
Jet Stream Blue Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #30
LittlemanZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-7 OD View Post
I had the following covered on my '16 Z07:
  • Front bumper
  • Front brake ducts (partially)
  • Front fenders
  • Hood
  • Hood radiator air vent slats
  • Headlights
  • Front splitter
  • Front splitter end plates
  • Side rocker sills beneath doors
  • Mirror housings (partially)
  • Side skirts
  • Rear brake ducts
  • Rear fenders
  • Door handle cups
I'm assuming you guys are not having your cars disassembled to have "all" the edges wrapped in Expel. So specifically, which of these parts in the above list (or any panel) "should" have wrapped edges for that seamless look?
Also, do any of you mind posting close up pics of a wrapped and unwrapped edge. TIA

Last edited by LittlemanZ06; 11-22-2016 at 04:34 PM.
LittlemanZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #31
funz06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlemanZ06 View Post
I'm assuming you guys are not having your cars disassembled to have "all" the edges wrapped in Expel. So specifically, which of these parts in the above list (or any panel) "should" have wrapped edges for that seamless look?
Also, do any of you mind posting close up pics of a wrapped and unwrapped edge. TIA
Sorry---I don't know how to post pictures anymore since they changed things awhile back, but I can tell you that a good installer will try to wrap all the edges they can. The problem is that these corvettes don't have much of an under lip onto which they can wrap. My guy wrapped where he could, and went as close to the edge when he couldn't------if I look REAL hard I can see the edge line. Notably, I have told people the car is wrapped and more than a few have stood there arguing with me telling me I was kidding etc., because they could not tell----I had to point out the edges to them.
funz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #32
AllFlash
CF Senior Member

The price is SIGNIFICANTLY higher when wrapping edges etc. You are either going to pay the standard for pre-cut or through the teeth as they cut each piece individually, remove the mirrors etc. Don't bother yourself...pre-cut is amazing and the norm... Take careof it and nobody will even know it is there 2 years after you get it on... Complete coverage including splitter, rail, spats, headlights..pretty much everything but the windows here 25k miles... no doctoring or Photoshop (flaw removal) whatsoever...

Last edited by AllFlash; 11-22-2016 at 05:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AllFlash For This Useful Post:
Borntorun04/17 (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #33
Borntorun04/17
CF Senior Member

AllFlash your car looks fantastic I wish that color was still available.

Now back to Xpel
1 Does it look better or less noticeable on light or dark colors. ( meaning edge lines )
2 Will it yellow over time ?
3 You don't wax or use sealer if you have Xpel on car ? IF yes what is the purpose if film covers paint ?
I never used and covering like Xpel before so all this is new to me. Always wax or sealed car.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 11-22-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Borntorun04/17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #34
16/C7Z
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntorun04 View Post

Now back to Xpel
1 Does it look better or less noticeable on light or dark colors. ( meaning edge lines ) depends on lighting. in pure direct hard sunlight I think darker colors less noticeable. but it's viewing angles and sunlight imho.
don't know?
3 You don't wax or use sealer if you have Xpel on car ? IF yes what is the purpose if film covers paint ? car should be prepped before application (clay ed compound polished) then maintain like everything else. wax as much as you like. some people use ceramic coatings under and over the top of it. I didn't. I used Zaino on my car after install then follow up with Meguiars spray wax. such easy maintenance.
I never used and covering like Xpel before so all this is new to me. Always wax or sealed car.
answered in bold
16/C7Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 16/C7Z For This Useful Post:
Borntorun04/17 (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #35
funz06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntorun04 View Post

Now back to Xpel
1 Does it look better or less noticeable on light or dark colors. ( meaning edge lines )
3 You don't wax or use sealer if you have Xpel on car ? IF yes what is the purpose if film covers paint ?
I agree with you regarding Allflash's car------I think it is the best looking one I have seen on the Forum.

Regarding your questions above:

1. Sorry--I don't know.
2. Xpel has a 10 year warranty against yellowing. I have read that a few years back some of these films did yellow---supposedly things have improved. My Xpel has been on 2 years and it looks brand new.
3. I do not use any wax or polishes------for me, that would defeat the main purpose I spent so much money on the Xpel. Fact---I HATE to wash, wax, polish, detail the car....always have. Rather spend the time driving the car. So, since this is my last corvette I decided to treat myself and got it covered (prior car had partial coverage; and the car before that had NO coverage because I thought it look bad with the line going across the hood-------I either got wiser or lazier with age). Now, there is minimal effort to keep the car looking good. Washed it only twice this past year (a few weeks into the season, and once before I put it away for the winter)----and I drove in the rain 2-3 times; had it on a working winery where it got covered in farm dirt, etc. The dirt came off with just a quick hosing, and the water spots came off with a quick touch with a micro fiber towel. I do put the Xpel sealant on it twice a year (forget what it is called-----your installer should have it). Goes on easy and wipes off 20 seconds later just as easy. It is recommended to help the Xpel stay looking good, etc.
funz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funz06 For This Useful Post:
Borntorun04/17 (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #36
Borntorun04/17
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funz06 View Post
I agree with you regarding Allflash's car------I think it is the best looking one I have seen on the Forum.

Regarding your questions above:

1. Sorry--I don't know.
2. Xpel has a 10 year warranty against yellowing. I have read that a few years back some of these films did yellow---supposedly things have improved. My Xpel has been on 2 years and it looks brand new.
3. I do not use any wax or polishes------for me, that would defeat the main purpose I spent so much money on the Xpel. Fact---I HATE to wash, wax, polish, detail the car....always have. Rather spend the time driving the car. So, since this is my last corvette I decided to treat myself and got it covered (prior car had partial coverage; and the car before that had NO coverage because I thought it look bad with the line going across the hood-------I either got wiser or lazier with age). Now, there is minimal effort to keep the car looking good. Washed it only twice this past year (a few weeks into the season, and once before I put it away for the winter)----and I drove in the rain 2-3 times; had it on a working winery where it got covered in farm dirt, etc. The dirt came off with just a quick hosing, and the water spots came off with a quick touch with a micro fiber towel. I do put the Xpel sealant on it twice a year (forget what it is called-----your installer should have it). Goes on easy and wipes off 20 seconds later just as easy. It is recommended to help the Xpel stay looking good, etc.
Thanks good to know after a few years still looks great
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllFlash View Post
The price is SIGNIFICANTLY higher when wrapping edges etc. You are either going to pay the standard for pre-cut or through the teeth as they cut each piece individually, remove the mirrors etc. Don't bother yourself...pre-cut is amazing and the norm... Take careof it and nobody will even know it is there 2 years after you get it on... Complete coverage including splitter, rail, spats, headlights..pretty much everything but the windows here 25k miles... no doctoring or Photoshop (flaw removal) whatsoever...

AllFlash Do you wax or use coating over your Xpel on your car.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #37
AllFlash
CF Senior Member

I cannot answer whether it is more visible with different colors but to say I havent noticed any difference. As for wax, I have never waxed the car, although I did put two coats of cQuartz Finest on after the first year. I only used Blackfire Crystal Seal before my trip around the US and Canada the first year and Blackfire Polymer Spray occasionally.....havent waxed it yet and would not. The beauty of XPel lies in the fact that it is self healing and any dings you may see or swirl marks will disappear with water and sun. It is amazing.

The importance of Blackfire or XPel products is that, unlike other similar products and waxes, they are clear and do not leave a discoloration over time where there are seams or edges. There will be seams from the mirror to top edge on both doors and edges in such places as around logos, headlights, front grill and so on. These will go unnoticed with a good installer.

Oh and thanks for the comps gang. I can honestly say that, completely covered in XPel, my car looks better two years later than the day it arrived. People only ever notice the PPF when I point it out and then it becomes a topic of a graat conversation, many not believing that it is completely covered. Also, it is part of my triple thread against stone dings on the sides by the rear wheel.... oem splash guards, side boards and XPel = 100% effectiveness.

Oh also...XPel is active in many forums and will jump in to assist if you use a qualified XPel installer...

Last edited by AllFlash; 11-22-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #38
Borntorun04/17
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16/C7Z View Post
answered in bold
Thanks for info , Glad I can still wax / coat car after Xpel I enjoy detailing car and giving it a little extra WOW.I understand what your saying about prepping car before Xpel ,But not sure how it helps when film is over paint ? Maybe helps keep film clear? Might be the same as waxing over sealant just gives it a deeper look? Thanks again Dave
Old 11-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #39
AllFlash
CF Senior Member

Umm I want to interject to provide a viewpoint as it may be misunderstood the way I read it... You dont need to prepare a new car in any way before XPel. Your installer will advise and some may advise paint correction which can get expensive. I am cheap. I had Xpel installed with nothing done whatsoever to the new paint. Afterwords, if you like waxing, you can wax....but never use a buffer on the XPel I was told as the buffer can wreak havoc on any PPF. I stay. Lear of waxes because same is accomplished with the Polymer Spray and there is no build up over time.

Last edited by AllFlash; 11-22-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #40
Larry M
CF Senior Member

If you're putting on a new car, run your hand over the paint. If it doesn't feel 100% smooth, at a minimum I would have the car clayed to remove those contaminates

Don't understand why you would want them trapped under the PFF
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • What parts for XPEL
  •