C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What parts for XPEL

Old 10-18-2016, 09:28 PM
Root-Doc
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What parts for XPEL

What kit or parts of the car are you guys getting the XPEL applied?
Old 10-18-2016, 11:15 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,753 Likes on 3,174 Posts

i had the front bumper, half hood/fenders, headlights, mirrors and area in front of rear wheel above ducts done. I am also considering Clearplex for the windshield.

I also installed the long oreilly style mud flaps, bought off of amazon same brand/model as the oreilly ones discussed throughout this forum. working great so far. but they're low and wide lol

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-18-2016 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Borntorun04/17 (11-22-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Brake Ducts and rear fenders where GM left the stock short.

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 10-19-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:47 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Root-Doc,

Murphy's Law-----no matter how much of the car you get done, the nick from the road debris will be an inch above it and on the uncovered surface.

IMHO, it is more important to 1st get the proper mud flaps-----hopefully, the mud guards will prevent most of the debris from even hitting the car and Xpel. I have had good luck with the Apsis guards for some 30,000 miles on three Z06's. Notably, over the summer other Forum members have started using a very inexpensive guard (O'Reilly's or something like that) with reported great success. The cost of these latter guards certainly makes them worth ordering and checking out to see how they look.

As for the Xpel coverage------I treated myself since this will be my last corvette, and I got the entire car covered except for the rear. I think the basic package typically covers the front bumper, the headlights, and either half the hood, or the entire hood----I vote for the entire hood as they can do it in one piece now and you don't have the line across the middle of the hood; back of the mirrors, all along the the sides below the doors (including the side skirts) and around the rear vents, including the rear vents.

Then do you want to to do the pillars on either side of the windshield------just like our windshields are prone to get hit, so are these pillars? If you do that, do you do the roof? If you do that, why not the entire sides? Again, whatever you don't do will get hit------and if you do the entire car like I did, you will get hit hard enough someplace so that the 'self healing' doesn't work------how do I know-----I have a pencil eraser size ding in my lower right side.

It does make keeping it clean a breeze------no more waxing or polishing. Can just hose the car off most of the time and it looks great----use a micro cloth to clear up the water spots. I do put on the recommended Xpel product that helps preserve and protect it 2-3 times a year------VERY easy to put on and take off.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:51 AM
JMGaston
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Suntech, not Expell, but got the complete front end (bumper, front splitter (Z07 stage 3), hood, fenders, headlights and mirrors), plus the door handle scoops, rocker panels, side skirts, and rear quarter pannels (3/4 of the front part, complete rear part). The tech removed the factory 3M from the rocker/rear quarters.

Last edited by JMGaston; 10-19-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:12 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

+1. The more the better.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:38 AM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are interested in pics of an actual install, my installer uploaded pictures on facebook. See Custom Wheels Boutique's (Fredericksburg, VA) page and Sept 14 post. The film he used was Llumar.

Also, since those pics, I added mud flaps and will be adding side skirts tomorrow because as most have stated the ppf is not enough.

Last edited by ForbiddenRooster; 10-19-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Root-Doc
I've gotten everything covered with Xpel except for the doors, the rear hatch, and the roof panel. (Including headlights, all aero bits, mirrors, and scoops.) I'm actually going to also have the doors and rear hatch done.

The reason is that with those wide tires, pebbles get kicked up everywhere, not just on the rear brake duct area.

Last edited by Speednet; 10-19-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Root-Doc
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
I've gotten everything covered with Xpel except for the doors, the rear hatch, and the roof panel. (Including headlights, all aero bits, mirrors, and scoops.) I'm actually going to also have the doors and rear hatch done.

The reason is that with those wide tires, pebbles get kicked up everywhere, not just on the rear brake duct area.
Sounds good. Thank you guys for the input
Old 10-19-2016, 03:36 PM
VooDooRob
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Did XPEL on entire car except roof, upper 1/2 of doors and top trunk area. Our Z06 has the factory CF side skirts and we also installed GM rear splashguards with ACS front splashguards that are a slightly wider and just long enough to protect the leading edge of the side skirts. Seems to get the job done as its set up now.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:55 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Root-Doc
Most C7 corvette's get at a minimum front bumper, headlights, mirrors and rocker panels.

What we recommend for ultimate coverage is the full front end (whole hood, front bumper, headlights, mirrors) and the rocker panels. The factory piece of film does not provide enough coverage.

If you're looking at getting XPEL installed, find an installer nearest you, XPEL Install Locator
The following 2 users liked this post by XPEL:
Borntorun04/17 (11-22-2016), SyberSaint (10-25-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 08:09 AM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default expell

Had my 16 Z done covering the bumper, mirrors and complete lower side panels all the way down the entire length of the car including rear ducts. Never chipped so far.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

I had the front fascia and splitter covered, half the hood/fender (to the rear of the hood duct) the lower door up to the ridge that runs along the door, the mirrors, the rear quarters, rocker panels and brake ducts. The only thing I might add is I am getting a fair amount of tire rubber thrown off the front tires that hits the door about 2/3 of the way back. This is with ACS guards and side skirts.

The area around the brake ducts is getting damaged from small stones/tire rubber that gets thrown off the front tires. The driver's side Expel has some pretty good digs in it just ahead of the brake duct and under the brake duct.

Have taken some pretty good hits on the front from bugs and tire rubber thrown off from other cars. You hit a bug at mid 100s speeds and it does a job. There are several areas on the front fascia where the product is scratched or dulled from impacts.

Bill
Old 10-22-2016, 10:29 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,753 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Bill xpel? Thought Xpel is self healing?
Old 10-22-2016, 10:37 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Where the rock chips are on 13,xxx '16: backs of mirrors, none on hood, front below hood line, a few behind doors under where the factory protection is, behind rear wheels on flat area below rear vent.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:26 PM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Haven't received my car yet but have an Xpel installer lined up when I receive it. I had a long conversation with him. He told me the areas he recommends on a Z06 at minimum is the front bumper, mirrors and part in front of the rear wheels. He removes the GM installed pieces in the rear and recovers from bottom to the top, areas that are in front of the rear wheels. After that it is just more protection and what you can afford.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:28 PM
AAPP_Brett
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

At the very least on all z06 models.....

Full hood
Full Fenders
Front Bumper
Headlights
Front splitter (if you have it)
mirrors
Rocker Panels (includes removing factor OEM pieces and reinstall rockers as a single piece in their entirety)
directly above the rocker panel (where the gas cap is, and symmetrical on passenger side)
and the rear impact area behind the tires

With the combination of body shape and sticky tires, the areas listed above are not only prone to chipping by flying debris on the road, but also suffer impacts from your own tires kicking rocks up.

Do your due diligence to find a quality installer not just price shopping. Edges should be wrapped wherever possible to create an install that is incredibly discreet while offering the best protection...youll never see.

Im happy to answer any questions anyone may have be it product or installation information.

All American Paint Protection
Brett

Get notified of new replies

To What parts for XPEL

Old 10-23-2016, 12:33 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Top Tip

Have them wrap over the door sills, and the brake duct intake.

I had an agricultural experience at the track, and the only places that got damage was right where the sill and the rocker meet, and the leading edge of the body panel of the brake duct.

Otherwise the paint was unharmed by hitting the gravel trap at 80mph.

Obviously Xpel will need to be reapplied but it did the job where it was installed.

Last edited by RS4EVA; 10-23-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

For street driving I would prioritize coverage this way. First priority are the lower sides of the car and the brake ducts/rear quarter. You just don't get hit with that much stuff from other cars on the street to make that your first priority. If you do more than inch your way to cruise ins the constant spray of debris off your front tires will kill the sides and the ducts/rear quarters.

Bill
Old 11-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Greenbayjohn
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What parts for expel

Hi all, I had expel ultimate Installed this way...full hood, full front bra, a pliers, mirrors, door sills(important), full front fenders to doors, lower door panel all the way to brake ducts, rear area behind rear tires following body panel seams, and finally I did gas cap and Indentation where door openers are. Then two coats of ceramic pro C Quartz application over expel and rest of car body. Already saved me on nose. Also installed Apsis wheel spats and splash guards that work great. It's all about the installer and took 3 days in the cleanest garage work area I've ever seen. Have a great Installer in north New Jersey if needed. John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What parts for XPEL