C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tow points on Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:55 PM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Tow points on Z06?

I'm about to do my first HPDE with the new Z and won't have enough time to install a tow hook. I don't want to curse myself by asking this, but are there any good tow points on the car? Basically, if it needed towed off the track, is there anywhere good to hook to it? Thanks!
Old 10-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Not really. However, although the crew may be disappointed if you don't have a hook they can work around it. If you need a tow they will probably do like the crew at the Glen did when I blew the engine on my C6Z. They used a tow truck that inserted arms between the rear wheels, then installed mating arms on the outside of the rear wheels so they were both clamped and supported by the arms. The truck then lifted the rear far enough off the ground to let the rear tires clear the ground by a couple of inches. They checked to make sure the front splitter wouldn't touch the ground, locked the steering wheel in a straight ahead position and then slowly towed the car back to the garages and dropped it off outside my garage bay. Very professionally done.

The crew at VIR did an excellent job getting the same car off the track when the left front wheel broke off in T1. They had a hell of a time getting the front of the car in the air because of its position with the rotor dug down into the ground and the front cradle resting on the ground but took their time and got the car in the air far enough they could put a sling under the front to get it back to my parking space.

A tow hook would have been easier at the Glen but it wouldn't have helped a bit at VIR.

Bill
Old 10-25-2016, 02:39 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by PSU_Vette
I'm about to do my first HPDE with the new Z and won't have enough time to install a tow hook. I don't want to curse myself by asking this, but are there any good tow points on the car? Basically, if it needed towed off the track, is there anywhere good to hook to it? Thanks!
They just thread in to already existing holes.........one behind the front grill and one in the rear. Install in 30 seconds.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...and-sport.aspx
Old 10-25-2016, 05:15 PM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks Fellas! Sounds like it will be well worth purchasing the one that just screws in as a "just in case" measure.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:25 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Get some decent ones, instead of the bare/basic Chebie one!!

Here's a link to forum vendor ZL1addons site:

https://zl1addons.com

I've got theirs for the front and rear.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

And they also have a black ring for a stealthier look. Love mine. I only got the longer one for the front. It will move to the back if needed although if I was going to track the car I would always have both installed. In my experience most clubs want to keep things moving and the tow truck drivers spend little time deciding how to put you on a hook. Having a cage and tow hooks makes it ez and quick for them.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:57 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I got the ZL1 hooks. Started with the steel which were great quality. Exchanged for titanium so I can leave them on without worrying about rust. Titanium came with a new collar system to make them more theft proof. You have to use a wrench to get them off.

Last edited by spearfish25; 10-26-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:41 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

You can also get the stock GM tow hook from your dealer. Trunk Monkey parts also sells them. Fits right in the depression in the foam piece over the battery when not in use. I paid about $75 for one from my dealer with discount, about what Trunk Monkey charges.--Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 10-26-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tow points on Z06?

Quick Reply: Tow points on Z06?