C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

My 2017 Z is being held at the factory for rework. How can I find out what's up??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 02:54 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by vntgmbk
Still working on it. I am sure this happens alot but fortunately/unfortunately for me, we were there to see it.
Pleased to see that GM appears to be genuinely concerned with our satisfaction as a customer so far based on the couple of GM people I have spoken to up to this point and don't appear to be ignoring this situation by any means.
i hope you share your experience with us. very curious to see end result and IF THEY disclosed the issue.

I know for myself, knowing this i would want to know what the issue was/is before i signed the papers. so many out there, you could buy one on a lot or order another one. the dealer will give you deposit back just order another one from them talk to dealer principal or owner (if small).

or make sure to let them know that whatever deposit was will be peanuts compared to the word of mouth of a negative experience (especially on the forums) will bring them in future. part of the deal (I'M SURE wasn't to have your new Z06 torn about and put back together.

hey, after you bought it and drove away that's one thing.. but not before that's BS (since you KNOW IT HAPPENED)

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-28-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:47 PM
vntgmbk
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
i hope you share your experience with us. very curious to see end result and IF THEY disclosed the issue.

I know for myself, knowing this i would want to know what the issue was/is before i signed the papers. so many out there, you could buy one on a lot or order another one. the dealer will give you deposit back just order another one from them talk to dealer principal or owner (if small).

or make sure to let them know that whatever deposit was will be peanuts compared to the word of mouth of a negative experience (especially on the forums) will bring them in future. part of the deal (I'M SURE wasn't to have your new Z06 torn about and put back together.

hey, after you bought it and drove away that's one thing.. but not before that's BS (since you KNOW IT HAPPENED)
Well I was encouraged that I seemed to be getting answers from the factory. My dealer told me their rep contacted the factory and told me that wasn't my car we saw in rework ( even though it was the exact car I ordered and only one like it we saw on the day my car was built). A QC Engineer at the factory confirmed that our car WAS in rework and told me he knows they worked on a paint issue on the hood but said he would get back to me as to what else was done after he checked into it. A GM rep then contacted me through this post and simply repeated what the engineer had said but left out the part about checking into what else was done and getting back to me and said my car would be shipped soon.Now even though I was promised a call back from the engineer, I never received one or heard from anyone at GM again. It's still an open issue as far as I am concerned until I get something from GM with exactly what was wrong and done!
Old 10-28-2016, 07:26 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Well I was encouraged that I seemed to be getting answers from the factory. My dealer told me their rep contacted the factory and told me that wasn't my car we saw in rework ( even though it was the exact car I ordered and only one like it we saw on the day my car was built). A QC Engineer at the factory confirmed that our car WAS in rework and told me he knows they worked on a paint issue on the hood but said he would get back to me as to what else was done after he checked into it. A GM rep then contacted me through this post and simply repeated what the engineer had said but left out the part about checking into what else was done and getting back to me and said my car would be shipped soon.Now even though I was promised a call back from the engineer, I never received one or heard from anyone at GM again. It's still an open issue as far as I am concerned until I get something from GM with exactly what was wrong and done!

You may need to follow up on this. As far as time spent goes, that time can be spent now or later but it will be spent.

good luck getting resolved.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Looks like you are getting the run around. Before you know it the car will be at your dealer and you still won't know what was done. I hope you have a plan for that situation.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:04 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Looks like you are getting the run around. Before you know it the car will be at your dealer and you still won't know what was done. I hope you have a plan for that situation.
He isn't getting any run-around. I emailed one of my Corvette contacts about this issue and that's why the OP is getting the info he is. Folks not involved should stop stirring up trouble.
The following 4 users liked this post by jvp:
DanTex (10-28-2016), jagamajajaran (10-29-2016), RonC7 (10-30-2016), tail_lights (11-03-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 09:10 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
He isn't getting any run-around. I emailed one of my Corvette contacts about this issue and that's why the OP is getting the info he is. Folks not involved should stop stirring up trouble.
GM has no need to tell the OP what is really going on with his car. I doubt he will be told much even by your contacts since GM has ownership of the car until it arrives at the dealer and he pays for it. I think most of us would refuse the car since we have no way to authenticate what was wrong with it. It may be minor and it may be major but the OP should not take the chance.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:47 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by jvp

are the men in black going to hunt us down? it's a public car enthusiast's forum. what do you expect us to do? the op asked for opinions and we give them jeez lighten up buddy.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-28-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:20 PM
vntgmbk
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
JVP, I sincerely appreciated you giving your GM contact my order number which generated a cust service rep contacting me. He gave me the same info I already had which I obtained by making a couple of calls per the advice of some other nice forum member. After the rep pm'd me, told me my car was in rework for a paint problem with the hood and said my car would ship shortly, I can only assume that the engineer that was hunting down the rest of the info for me was told to stop talking to me as I never heard back from him and he had promised to get me the full story and history of my car and it's repairs. I am a hardworking guy who is spending a ton of money on a car so I am sure you understand as others seem to on this forum that I am just trying to get the complete and honest history on my car as I feel after what I saw, I deserve it. Thank you for all you do as I know you help people whenever possible as you tried to for me and I really appreciated your effort. Based on the proven incorrect info I got from my dealer who said they got it from their GM reps contact at the factory, I am skeptical that I am being told the whole story at this point and that GM and my dealer just expect me to accept the car due to the fact that it has a warranty. Please believe me when I say that this has been a VERY unfortunate and stressful situation to be in and I just want proof of the history of my car at this point. I only created this post to see if people on here could offer me info/suggestions as to how to possibly resolve this which some did including yourself which I thank everyone for their help. I find this forum and its members extremely helpful and educating at times. Thanks Guys!

Last edited by vntgmbk; 10-28-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

you're welcome. and don't accept that car. work with dealer on a new one. you will never get it out of your mind.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-28-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:08 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

It's yet another situation where honesty and forthcoming information would help everything. 'The dry sump oil reservoir had a leak. We just had to swap it out.' You'd be totally fine with it. But make the whole situation nebulous and it breeds skepticism.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:12 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
From your perspective: "Stirring up trouble"
From Member perspective: Helping another member.
A run around. Probably not, but OP also could have got the same exact info from:

Last edited by DLC7; 10-29-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:48 AM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

So all the worry is based on the comment of a tour guide that can't talk to people on the floor building the car. I assume he doesn't know any more than you about the car but has to fill in the dead air with some "expert" chit chat. For all we know there are 10 cars built that day that look like the car you ordered and the car you saw had a missing oil fill cap. Check out the car before you buy it, drive it and enjoy it.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:47 AM
vntgmbk
Instructor

Originally Posted by carnutsx2
So all the worry is based on the comment of a tour guide that can't talk to people on the floor building the car. I assume he doesn't know any more than you about the car but has to fill in the dead air with some "expert" chit chat. For all we know there are 10 cars built that day that look like the car you ordered and the car you saw had a missing oil fill cap. Check out the car before you buy it, drive it and enjoy it.
No all the worry is that we saw a car with the same build specs being somewhat taken apart in the rework area. The guide had nothing to do with it except for telling me what they do in that area and that is rework cars with problems. I confirmed my car was completed THAT SAME morning before we took the tour which would make sense that our car was the car we saw in rework. It was the ONLY car we saw anywhere with those build specs that day. GM has confirmed my car was in rework as well as an engineer at the plant. In all due respect Please don't post a reply in a way that insinuates we are over reacting as that is not the case at all. I am sure if it were your $85k you would have a different opinion or possibly you have the financial means not to care. I didn't create this post to expect sympathy but to see if I could get help getting the full story from GM from other members which thankfully I have somewhat. Sorry if this reply to your post appears rude or sarcastic as it is not meant to be. It just appears your are indicating this situation isn't worthy of concern which I respectfully disagree.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:05 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

I think we should all appreciate that NOBODY wants a new car that has been torn apart and put back together to fix problems. It does not matter if it happens at the factory or at the dealer. The OP has been trying to get information about what happened but there is no incentive for GM to be forthright about this. GM owns all the information about that car while in production but does not have to disclose it to the customer. Lets say they did some major part swapping and still can't find the problem. The factory is going to ship the car to the dealer anyway just because they want the unit sold and he has a warranty. This is highly unfair to the OP since he now gets a car that spends time at the dealer while they try their hand at tinkering with the situation. I have heard of bad wiring harnesses in cars that are a nightmare to diagnose and even more so to replace. These cars then end up as buy backs and the original owner buys something else. While there is one person here who continually acts like a GM mouthpiece I think most of us here want to help the OP with his purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by b4i4getit:
23/C8Z (10-29-2016), JoesC5 (10-30-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 12:14 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

My take is this:

GM can disclose what they want but they were happy to take a customer's money and allow for a buyers tour experience. If during that experience the buyer actually sees a production issue with his car, that's GM's problem to address. If they want to ignore it or be dodgy, I'd understand a buyer cancelling the order. I would. It's kind of like paying the new price for a refurbished item.
The following 3 users liked this post by spearfish25:
23/C8Z (10-29-2016), b4i4getit (10-29-2016), sunsalem (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

No all the worry is that we saw a car with the same build specs being somewhat taken apart in the rework area. The guide had nothing to do with it except for telling me what they do in that area and that is rework cars with problems. I confirmed my car was completed THAT SAME morning before we took the tour which would make sense that our car was the car we saw in rework. It was the ONLY car we saw anywhere with those build specs that day. GM has confirmed my car was in rework as well as an engineer at the plant. In all due respect Please don't post a reply in a way that insinuates we are over reacting as that is not the case at all. I am sure if it were your $85k you would have a different opinion or possibly you have the financial means not to care. I didn't create this post to expect sympathy but to see if I could get help getting the full story from GM from other members which thankfully I have somewhat. Sorry if this reply to your post appears rude or sarcastic as it is not meant to be. It just appears your are indicating this situation isn't worthy of concern which I respectfully disagree.
I hope you're able to see documented proof of what the issue was. As said by a couple folks, it may have been something relatively minor that was easily fixed.

However, I'll tell a couple quick stories to illustrate why I would refuse the car if GM doesn't provide the proof or if you determine that it was electrical.

Local friends bought a C7 (not Z06) that from the beginning would go into limp mode for unknown reasons. This happened several times while they were on trips, at times when they were far from home. They took it numerous times to at least 2 different dealers to get it fixed. They almost certainly met the criteria to utilize the lemon law but since they are older and he has significant health issues I don't think they wanted to grind through the process. The car continued to have the problem until the last month or so when they gave up and traded it in on a new Grand Sport. Now it'll be somebody else's nightmare.

Other local friends bought one of the discounted new '16 Z06s this summer. They traveled 3-4 states away to buy it and as the dealer was prepping the car for them it went dead. There they were, in another state, unable to take delivery. It took the dealer 2 or 3 days to find and fix the electrical short. In the meantime they were stuck there waiting and not knowing what the outcome would be- the dealership, and maybe ultimately GM, covered costs for lodging and food. They had planned to make a fun scenic trip on the way home but had to cancel that and just hustle home once the car was ready. He told me that they still worry that the car will strand them somewhere.

Take those stories for what they're worth to you. There are no exaggerations- in fact, the details in the first one are minimal. There are likely times I never even heard about when the car left them on the side of the road. He did tell me that the last time it went in for a repair attempt, the service manager started to tell him what they were going to do and my friend told him he "could burn the F'in thing for all he cared"- his words.

Good luck to you OP. I hope whatever happens that you end up happy and satisfied.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 01:33 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Still working on it. I am sure this happens alot but fortunately/unfortunately for me, we were there to see it.
Pleased to see that GM appears to be genuinely concerned with our satisfaction as a customer so far based on the couple of GM people I have spoken to up to this point and don't appear to be ignoring this situation by any means.
Yeah, they're real concerned until you take delivery. Then it's between you and the dealership. Cancel the order.
The following 2 users liked this post by justplainjim:
23/C8Z (10-29-2016), JoesC5 (10-30-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To My 2017 Z is being held at the factory for rework. How can I find out what's up??

Old 10-29-2016, 02:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

JVP, I sincerely appreciated you giving your GM contact my order number which generated a cust service rep contacting me. He gave me the same info I already had which I obtained by making a couple of calls per the advice of some other nice forum member. After the rep pm'd me, told me my car was in rework for a paint problem with the hood and said my car would ship shortly, I can only assume that the engineer that was hunting down the rest of the info for me was told to stop talking to me as I never heard back from him and he had promised to get me the full story and history of my car and it's repairs. I am a hardworking guy who is spending a ton of money on a car so I am sure you understand as others seem to on this forum that I am just trying to get the complete and honest history on my car as I feel after what I saw, I deserve it. Thank you for all you do as I know you help people whenever possible as you tried to for me and I really appreciated your effort. Based on the proven incorrect info I got from my dealer who said they got it from their GM reps contact at the factory, I am skeptical that I am being told the whole story at this point and that GM and my dealer just expect me to accept the car due to the fact that it has a warranty. Please believe me when I say that this has been a VERY unfortunate and stressful situation to be in and I just want proof of the history of my car at this point. I only created this post to see if people on here could offer me info/suggestions as to how to possibly resolve this which some did including yourself which I thank everyone for their help. I find this forum and its members extremely helpful and educating at times. Thanks Guys!
I can agree w. most of what you said above. But, based on what you were told by seemingly 3 different sources just before (the engineer, your dealer and the cust. svce. rep), I'm just wondering, per the advice of others, how will you ever know if you are "told what the real reasons are for your car being taken apart?" You have 2 answers to the simple question of was it, or was it not your car in rework. That one, at least you have verified---it was. But as to other things, or things that may not be mentioned, how will you verify those? I think the answer is you can't.

Not that it will help you necessarily (since this, or something else could happen again), but refusing this car and ordering another car is one way to go. It's not the only way, but it is a choice you still have until the moment you accept this particular car when it comes to the dealer. Once you accept it, then it's done. From there on, you have to wrestle using "the system" to get it fixed, should it need it, or another car. Good luck. jmo
Old 10-30-2016, 09:26 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

A factory produces products. Sometimes the production line produces a product not to their liking. In many cases that is left to the eventual purchaser of the product to discover. Apparently GM's quality control caught a glitch as it is designed to do and then that glitch was fixed. I would be ecstatic that they have such quality control and it was caught at the factory and fixed. I would much rather have a repair at a factory than at an independent Dealer. However if it truly bothers you where you obsess about it, I would recommend you not buy a car at all. Why, because we all will likely be forced to take our car to a dealer for some repair, likely under warranty. If fixing a mechanical object ruins your day or your week or your month, then not having one is likely a much better scenario for your health and peace of mind.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:52 AM
bdwb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cancel the order - and start over if you don't have an answer in 48 hours. I would be direct with your dealer on this. Trust me if they care - the information will come forward

Quick Reply: My 2017 Z is being held at the factory for rework. How can I find out what's up??