C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:59 AM
LA_Z06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Guys,

Not to belabor the point but simply asking a dealer to "check" your alignment will typically be an exercise in futility!!! I can't state this strongly enough.

GM allows a WIDE range of "acceptable" settings and does not require symmetry. Look up above at Post #180 of the acceptable alignment specifications for our cars provided by Bill. A dealer can check and say "you're good to go buddy" with the settings below as they are within range:

Left front caster: +8.0
Rear front caster: -8.0

Left rear caster: +0.8
Right rear caste: -0.8

Left front camber: 0.0
Right front camber: -1.5

Left rear camber: -0.5
Right rear camber: -1.7

Etc, etc, etc....

This wide range of acceptable settings is why they come set all out of wack from the factory.

These guys are not used to aligning performance cars. They're used to aligning pickups, Cruz's, Malibu's, etc. As long as the alignment heads indicate green (i.e., the settings are within the WIDE range of acceptable settings) they're generally not going to mess with it. Hell, I've had a number of dealer techs chuckle at me and state the rear caster is not adjustable.

I urge you to talk to the man who's going to "check" your alignment and question him to determine if he's knowledgeable. Also, you MUST provide him in writing the EXACT settings you want on the car. You must be convinced he understands the importance of setting the rear caster where you want as NO alignment machine provides this reading on the printout sheet. You have to trust him or be there to observe the setting for yourself. Of course, you must tell him you want a copy of the final settings on the alignment printout sheet.

Not meaning to preach to you all or talk down but this is really important stuff. It's such a big deal I had no problem paying out of my pocket to get my new 2017 "properly" aligned to the EXACT Levitas/TPC Racing specs provided in this thread at my 500 mile oil change. I'm lucky enough to have a tech who is a fellow racer and takes great pride in his work. He gets it right, unlike the majority.

Rick

Great post.

Anyone with a Z06 should do themselves a favor and get a really good alignment and corner balance at a good shop if you have the option to do so. Or seek out a good Chevy dealer that knows what they're doing (like Abel Chevrolet, etc.).

Most cars DO NOT come from the factory with the perfect/correct alignment settings.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Silver05
I'm not an expert but that video didn't look too fast for the turn (except for the resulting crash). At second # 18 in the video it looks like oil or fluid on the road. Nobody will convince me (based on that video) that driver technique was the culprit. I think that video is definitely a snap oversteer situation (and upsetting to watch). If the road was indeed clean, the car 100% seems to me to be the cause - not the driver. If that road had oil at second # 18, any car would have had that spin. I do think some percentage of the C7Z has major issues with freaky behavior. BTW, I am sketched enough that I ordered 19" rear wheels and Nittos all around today to try to make my car less likely to have the evil monkey! I am hoping that softer compound, non-runflat and larger sidewall will slow down things back there.
Don't count on the Nittos to do anything but wear well. They are a crap performance tire. They don't have as much grip as the GY EMTs that came on the C6Z and lose what they have over a 20 minute track session. They aren't in the same ball park when compared to the Michelins. They aren't even in the same country. They aren't going to save your butt when it comes to snap oversteer.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-09-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:12 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Don't count on the Nittos to do anything but wear well. They are a crap performance tire. They don't have as much grip as the GY EMTs that came on the C6Z and lose what they have over a 20 minute track session. They aren't in the same ball park when compared to the Michelins. They aren't even in the same country. They aren't going to save your butt when it comes to snap oversteer.

Bill

Bill
Bill is 100% correct. They are a **** tire from a performance perspective. I tried a set on my C6Z and gave them away after less than a thousand miles. The MPSS ZP that come on the car are an amazing tire.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:48 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Is this spinning and sliding occurring with traction control and active handling engaged or only with all of the nannies off?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:38 PM
reely
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again for the video post. You can't be any more clear than that. It is a real eye opener and has me ready to check out the alignment.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:14 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

This thread was started to discuss the C7Z tendency to rotate violently to the right under hard straight line acceleration. I'm one guilty of diverting the discussion to the cars tendency to snap oversteer during road course usage and when aggressively driving the "twisties".

To add to the original conversation I asked Mike Levitas to discuss improvements realized in straight line power down applications with a DSC Sport Controller.

Mike Levitas who owns TPC Racing is an accomplished racer and race shop owner. His credentials include winning the Daytona 24 Hours and numerous IMSA titles. He's also a long time Corvette nut and drag racing fan. The controller website is: www.dscsport.com.

Mike's a friend of mine and expressed some time back he was frustrated with difficulty putting power down with the C7Z. Additionally, he saw room for improvement from the magnetorheological shocks on road courses. Mike's chassis, suspension and setup knowledge from an engineering standpoint is world class.

I asked Mike to contribute his thoughts to the other thread. He was hesitant as he didn't want to seen as joining the discussion to promote sales of his controller. I convinced him his contribution would be welcomed.

I thought you folks would appreciate the post Mike contributed to the other thread specific to how the DSC Controller improves the ability to put power down in straight line applications:

Mike Levitas here. I thought I would chime in and try to give a few cool details about the DSC Sport controller. There are many features of the controller. One of note is the massive improvement in grip that translates in huge improvements in 60 ft times as well any speed roll-on.

My C7 Z06 M7 was so bad stock it would blow the rear tires off in 3rd gear. Now my car barely squeaks the tire.

How this is achieved is uncomplicated. The controller has an acceleration table that is used in throttle rate of change. There is a sensitivity feature so you can time the rate of change of the throttle to the compressor bypass valve in the blower.

This triggers a table that allows tuning of the magnetic dampers so you can soften low speed rear compression to soften the blow to the tire and increase low speed front rebound to slow down weight transfer so the tires are not overloaded. The result is the car flattens out with nice transfer so you don't blow off the tires.

That being said, please understand setup is critical. You must adhere to my setup on the rear uprights. Caster is king in controlling the toe curve. I'm not sure what GM was thinking with their suggested alignment setup but the car works way better with 0.75 degrees positive rear caster. Also, try to keep eccentric in the center.

I like 1.2 camber for most street cars leaving in all control arm washers. The rear toe loves to be out -0.5mm with this caster.

The secret sauce is the DSC controller so now the shocks can go way softer than stock so you don't blow off the tire. Road racing and drag racing are a lot the same in approach. I've spent time analyzing 100s of cars. Launching a good car just leaves no drama and no big weight transfer. The car just drops and leaves same as a good car off the corner and never even turns a tire.

There is so much power in the DSC controller your imagination is your only limit or lack there of. Please remember there is still the velocity tables that allow tuning of grip to the tires.

Last edited by rikhek; 12-09-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

What does "stepping out to the right" mean? The front goes to the right like the video of the Red Vette or the rear steps out to the right like the phrase would normally mean?

Mine tends to go straight with (so far) an easily controllable slight drift of the rear to the lowest part of the road.

Last edited by pkincy; 12-09-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:54 AM
dead of night
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Are the above settings optimal for the Stingray, Z51, and GS too?
Old 12-10-2016, 08:35 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Is this spinning and sliding occurring with traction control and active handling engaged or only with all of the nannies off?
The car in the video had everything off. Please note my post is not meant to be a criticism of rikhek.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Bill is 100% correct. They are a **** tire from a performance perspective. I tried a set on my C6Z and gave them away after less than a thousand miles. The MPSS ZP that come on the car are an amazing tire.
The rear tires that came on the car suck. I am doing NT05R (drag radial) to try to get some traction in a straight line. I am not planning on track day events that have turns.
The following users liked this post:
Dfwz06 (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I've played around with this on empty street.

You cab can make it happen if you are in 2nd gear and stab the throttle while rolling.

It it will happen a couple of times and then once the tires are warm, the car will track straight.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Spacewalker
I've played around with this on empty street.

You cab can make it happen if you are in 2nd gear and stab the throttle while rolling.

It it will happen a couple of times and then once the tires are warm, the car will track straight.
Do you know what your wheel alignment settings are?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:15 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dead of night
Are the above settings optimal for the Stingray, Z51, and GS too?
Yes, the settings are for any C7 variant.
dead of night (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

The only cure I've found, is drag radials. The stock tires may be good for circuit tracks, but SUCK for straight line acceleration.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:56 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Extremely n00b question but I don't know much about suspension geometry. I'm about to put my winter tires/wheels on. Will getting the proper alignment with that setup carry over to when I put my stock summer set back on or should I just wait till the spring for the alignment?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 12-10-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:24 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phantasms
Extremely n00b question but I don't know much about suspension geometry. I'm about to put my winter tires/wheels on. Will getting the proper alignment with that setup carry over to when I put my stock summer set back on or should I just wait till the spring for the alignment?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
Same alignment regardless of tires.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:04 PM
dead of night
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So what do I do, hand the salesman a piece of paper with the caster alignments written down and tell him,

"I'll buy the car when you can show me a printout proving these alignments have been made on the car."

What will happen when I do this? I'm concerned the dealership will consider me a pain in the neck and kick me off the lot.

Is this a reasonable way for a prospective buyer to conduct himself? I'd like the deal to go smoothly, but then again I don't want to hit a tree and lose a leg because of a poor alignment.

Last edited by dead of night; 12-10-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF

Old 12-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

So what do I do, hand the salesman a piece of paper with the caster alignments written down and tell him,

"I'll buy the car when you can show me a printout proving these alignments have been made on the car."

What will happen when I do this? I'm concerned the dealership will consider me a pain in the neck and kick me off the lot.

Is this a reasonable way for a prospective buyer to conduct himself? I'd like the deal to go smoothly, but then again I don't want to hit a tree and lose a leg.
First, ask them if they have the gauge and a technician that knows how to use it, then ask them to put it on a rack and verify that they do or do not have the correct alignment settings. If they do and you purchase the car mark the settings on the nuts with a paint pen. Customers Rule!
dead of night (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 12:18 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Same alignment regardless of tires.
Many thanks! I'lol get it done ASAP. It should be interesting as the dealer just did an alignment so I'll get to see what they set it to when at speed shop. I'm glad I asked as I assume different size tires would effect it. The more you know...

Best,
Gene
Old 12-10-2016, 02:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Is this a reasonable way for a prospective buyer to conduct himself? I'd like the deal to go smoothly, but then again I don't want to hit a tree and lose a leg because of a poor alignment.
They can't provide a printout of rear caster as commercially available alignment machines do not have a way of measuring it. Measuring rear caster requires special tools (a gauge and an adapter to mount the gauge to the rear knuckles). The mechanic then uses those two tools to adjust rear caster while observing the camber readings on the alignment machine. Changing caster after camber is set will change the camber so it requires some time to balance the two out. Once that is done then toe can be set.

Bill
Dellrose (08-10-2017)

Quick Reply: Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF