C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:52 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I know in touring mode the diff is open and not in limited slip. Learned them at at the corvette driving school. Not sure why the car would go right with the right rear getting the power I would think it would snap left.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:42 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by omar510
In my opinion it's because in 1st gear you have no traction all due to torque multiplication. 2nd and 3rd the gear tires start to gain traction due to less torque multiplication. This coupled with the fact that the tires can now spin up to 93 mph in 2nd and 124 mph in 3rd so whatever instantaneous traction the tires do catch thrust the car harder and further. With one tire gripping it makes the car yaw to either side.
You may be on to something there....
Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Normal torque reaction from engine rotation.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
Normal torque reaction from engine rotation.
I agree. My C6 Z06 fishtails in first gear, but does it with the rear end swinging to the right(counter clockwise). Stability control keeps it from swinging too far out. When I let off the gas to shift into 2nd gear it violently straightens itself to running straight, only to start fishtailing in 2nd gear(but not as bad) all the way to 90 MPH.

I never turn off the nanny's. Too easy to lose control of the car on the street.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-30-2016 at 10:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
360Lemans (11-02-2016), Dfwz06 (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 06:09 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RussC243
Saw lots of videos/threads of people wrecking their new z06's so I am being careful. After my 500 mile oil change I got on it about 10 times today in 1, 2 and 3rd. Never rung it out as I will hold off on that untill about 2k miles.

In 1st the wheels break loose and the car just slides along straight as expected. In 2nd and 3rd, it violently jerks to the right. I let off it right way and the car jerks straight again.

My old supercharged c4 broke loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and I could floor it as much as I wanted and it continued to track straight while the wheels were slipping. It would get squirrelly at the top of 3rd at 100 mph but I could just correct with steering and stay on it. Done it a million times with the c4.

The c7 is asking to wrap itself around a tree. I am in touring mode it that matters

This is not right!!

Edit: I was on an empty private road.
I used a large parking lot on a early Sunday morning to play with mine.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:24 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bigdog9586
I used a large parking lot on a early Sunday morning to play with mine.
Good idea.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:06 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

It's due to being in the Northern Hemisphere. If you were below the equator, in the Southern Hemisphere it would go to the left. Same principle as the direction the water rotates in a toilet when you flush it.

Last edited by rikhek; 11-01-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:41 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
It's due to being in the Northern Hemisphere. If you were below the equator, in the Southern Hemisphere it would go to the left. Same principle as the direction the water rotates in a toilet when you flush it.
Science.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Makes total sense!! Thanks for the physics and geography lesson wrapped in one.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:57 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Edwardz
Makes total sense!! Thanks for the physics and geography lesson wrapped in one.
It's what I do...
Old 11-01-2016, 09:41 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

^

My money is still on the E-diff. I've had an 800+ HP C5 that I ran all season tires on and never had a problem controlling it and that thing saw WOT every weekend. My C6Z was right at 500 to the rear tire and was easy (and fun) to do a controlled spin with. Although I do notice a hesitation on the throttle as well, when getting on it AND when getting off of it. Those fractions of a second could make all the difference.

Last edited by tail_lights; 11-01-2016 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pelotonracer2 (12-06-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I am a victim of what was talked about here. I bought a brand new 2016 Z06, 520 miles first gear, stepped on gas lost control violently to the right, ended up in a water canal. I've had numerous high horsepower cars, from a 630 rwhp Z06 to a 1200 hp transam. I've never felt so outta control in a car. Needless to say I felt stupid, totaled by brand new car and run the scenario in my head each and everyday. I did lower the car on stock bolts but other than that it was completely stock. I thought I was just loosing my skills but after reading this I'm glad I'm not the only one. I want to get another one but I have such a bad taste in my mouth from what happened, I don't know if I will. Just figured I'd put my 2 cents in from my experience. Thank You
tail_lights (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 02:25 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by 515003
Well I am a victim of what was talked about here. I bought a brand new 2016 Z06, 520 miles first gear, stepped on gas lost control violently to the right, ended up in a water canal. I've had numerous high horsepower cars, from a 630 rwhp Z06 to a 1200 hp transam. I've never felt so outta control in a car. Needless to say I felt stupid, totaled by brand new car and run the scenario in my head each and everyday. I did lower the car on stock bolts but other than that it was completely stock. I thought I was just loosing my skills but after reading this I'm glad I'm not the only one. I want to get another one but I have such a bad taste in my mouth from what happened, I don't know if I will. Just figured I'd put my 2 cents in from my experience. Thank You
You're right...you're not the only one.

Exactly what the deal is is hard to tell (alignment, electronic diff, etc.), we don't seem to have a conclusive answer.
It isn't any wonder so many mag reviews say to leave ALL of the nannies on.

FWIW, I have experienced this "loss of control" as well.
It happened so out of the blue and without good cause, I am way more careful than I want to be.
Gentleness only, there is no flooring it (or the canal awaits).
Old 11-02-2016, 07:09 AM
RussC243
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry about your car.

There are many of us with previous cars with as much HP/torque as the C7 Z06 and know how the car should break loose. I am no expert driver but this should be addressed by GM.

I don't have a giant parking lot and the ability to try many different alignment settings to see if there is a correlation. Perhaps someone will chime in with empirical data showing how to affect the issue.

I don't think there are any e-dif settings under user control.. are there? Perhaps GM could change the firmware related to the e-dif or specifically target the issue and get the nannies to prevent the issue.... even at the expense of loosing power when conditions don't warrant a correction. Perhaps the weather mode does this.. I will try.

I am as loyal a chevy guy as they come but this issue is hard to get over

GM should step up. I appreciate the SC changes and the additional radiator in my M7 but the possibility of totaling my car or worse is far more important to me than going into limp mode.

Last edited by RussC243; 11-02-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:21 AM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I'll bet it's driver induced, and if you make sure the car is pointed exactly straight, and light em up, it WILL and SHOULD stay straight. I'm away from my car til the 20th. Somebody try it and report back.
BTW- you guys reporting this problem, what mode? all nannies on?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:03 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

I personally know three Corvette owners that have spun out, and one totaled his C7. They all blame the car, (I don't know what happened something broke) (corvette just spun out I was barley on the gas) The one who totaled his was just half mile from his house!! Can you say COLD tires, in all three incidents it was cold tires but the owners will never admit it for some reason?? Not bashing forum members on this thread at all, I don't know their situation so will not comment. I'm just expressing my experience. Even professional drivers like Alex Zanardi
have had incidents with cold tires.

Especially Corvette owners with Cup 2 should be very carful. I don't use the DIC displaying tire heat (for some reason its always green) I have the tire pressure gage set, once the pressure goes up two psi I know it's about time to rock.
RoketRdr (12-19-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 09:19 AM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 245 Posts

Every car I have ever driven has kicked the rear end out to the right when the tires break loose, it's normal and happens in every car every time. Blame it on engine torque direction or blame it on being in the northern hemisphere but don't blame the car.
RoketRdr (12-19-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF

Old 11-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not blaming the car at all, in every car I drive the first thing I do is turn the traction off, did it with this one and away it went. I actually like to have the car a little squirly, makes it a fun drive. The car spun so hard and so fast, even if I anticipated it and knew exactly what it was going to do, I couldn't have corrected it, that's the part I don't like. Like I said I'm just glad I'm not the only one cause I was beating myself up about it.

I dont know know too much about the technology in the rear but it's not that damn good if it does keep it from doing what it did. Either way bad *** car just not predictable and that's what I don't like.
tail_lights (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:49 PM
RussC243
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
I'll bet it's driver induced, and if you make sure the car is pointed exactly straight, and light em up, it WILL and SHOULD stay straight. I'm away from my car til the 20th. Somebody try it and report back.
BTW- you guys reporting this problem, what mode? all nannies on?
In touring mode all nannies on here
Old 11-02-2016, 01:56 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
I personally know three Corvette owners that have spun out, and one totaled his C7. They all blame the car, (I don't know what happened something broke) (corvette just spun out I was barley on the gas) The one who totaled his was just half mile from his house!! Can you say COLD tires, in all three incidents it was cold tires but the owners will never admit it for some reason?? Not bashing forum members on this thread at all, I don't know their situation so will not comment. I'm just expressing my experience. Even professional drivers like Alex Zanardi
have had incidents with cold tires.
You are absolutely right about cold tires.
My 2012 CTS-V Coupe drove that point home to me.
Always ALWAYS ALWAYS warm the tires up first.

I have the tire pressure gage set, once the pressure goes up two psi I know it's about time to rock.
That's a great trick...I never thought to do that.

Not blaming the car at all, in every car I drive the first thing I do is turn the traction off, did it with this one and away it went. I actually like to have the car a little squirly, makes it a fun drive. The car spun so hard and so fast, even if I anticipated it and knew exactly what it was going to do, I couldn't have corrected it, that's the part I don't like. Like I said I'm just glad I'm not the only one cause I was beating myself up about it.

I dont know know too much about the technology in the rear but it's not that damn good if it does keep it from doing what it did. Either way bad *** car just not predictable and that's what I don't like.

Quick Reply: Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF