C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Aftermarket remote start for M7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:41 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Aftermarket remote start for M7?

Has anyone had one installed? If so, what make/model? I've talked to a number of shops and most won't do it because of "liability" (which is the dumbest **** I've ever heard) but the one that said they'd do it said they researched it a bit and said it was bad for the C7 as the clutch needs to be depressed to supply hydraulic fluid during start up or some crap like that. Anyone have any info on it?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Doesn't matter whether or not a car has a mechanical or hydraulic clutch. Federal Rules require the clutch to be disengaged before the starter is engaged. You can no longer use the starter to move the car by putting it in gear letting the clutch out and then bumping the starter. They don't want a car to accidentally start moving or to have its engine start while it is in gear. This rule has been in place for several decades.

Bill

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-01-2018 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HessViper (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 07:42 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

^^^ Yes I know that. Hence I said most places won't do it. I've had remote start on manuals before, as well as cars where I didn't have to push the clutch to start it, as have many of my friends. It USED to be really simple to disable the clutch sensor to do so. I digress. The question is if anyone is using a remote start or not and if they know anything about the physical limitations of it on the M7. I sure don't obey the speed limit. Why would I care if it's not legal to start my car without the clutch engaged. What cop would even check that??

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-01-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

It would be neat to have this feature so you can hear it crackle better at cold start. A8’s have it but default to stealth mode on restart as I understand
Old 12-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

It really just boils down to disabling the clutch start switch. Looks like I'm not the only one trying to figure this out, though this thread is super old https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-function.html
Old 12-01-2018, 03:33 PM
HessViper
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe build a relay that has the clutch depressed signal initiate for the remote start situation (and only if the car is detected to be in neutral if you want to get fancy... or parking break must be engaged, etc, so that it does not drive off upon starting)

Either way, I think a relay would have to be built for the clutch sensor, because if your clutch pedal is ALWAYS sensed to be depressed, I'm sure it would mess up your rev matching etc during driving operation.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by HessViper
Maybe build a relay that has the clutch depressed signal initiate for the remote start situation (and only if the car is detected to be in neutral if you want to get fancy... or parking break must be engaged, etc, so that it does not drive off upon starting)

Either way, I think a relay would have to be built for the clutch sensor, because if your clutch pedal is ALWAYS sensed to be depressed, I'm sure it would mess up your rev matching etc during driving operation.
I have no idea how to do that, but I could probably find a youtube video or something. There are 2 sensors so it would just be the bottom sensor that would have to be bypassed. The top sensor is the one that affects cruise control and rev matching and things like that, so as long as I'm not messing with that one, it shouldn't be a big deal. And honestly, even if I don't get remote start, I would LOVE to get bypass the clutch start. Every car I've had before this one I've bypassed it so it's a pain in the *** to have it. Plus when I hit the start button sometimes I'll let off the clutch too early and it stops trying to crank. So annoying. Hate nanny crap.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:37 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

So NO ONE has added remote start to their C7??
Old 12-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
So NO ONE has added remote start to their C7??
no one has done this. Seems like a PiA to do.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

no one has done this. Seems like a PiA to do.
It shouldn't be terribly difficult, but I guess that's not a mod a lot of people care about. Maybe it's more a ricer thing. I definitely got hooked on that back circa 2000 when I was station in Cali and was in an import car crew and everyone I knew did the clutch start bypass.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I don't think it's a ricer thing. There is a lot of risk in doing this if you leave the car in gear. A long while back I put a remote starter in my Integra manual transmission. 90s era...

I inadvertently pressed start while the fob was in my pocket digging for something else and the car lurched forward a few feet before stalling out. Thank God it didn't smash the car in front of it. I guess having 120 lbs of torque had Its advantages.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:45 PM
1 HOT 07
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
It would be neat to have this feature so you can hear it crackle better at cold start. A8’s have it but default to stealth mode on restart as I understand
I have a '16 A8 Z06/Z07 that is set to track mode exhaust and it cracks at remote startup and runs really loud....I LOVE IT!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:24 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Not just a bypass relay for the clutch... You'll also need a relay to temporarily power an extra keyfob that will need to be hardwired and stay in the car at all times. (Car won't start without a known fob inside, even with the clutch safety bypassed). Automatics can get away with this using specialized OEM circuitry that I'm pretty sure will not be accessible in your manual car, but I'm not 100% on that.

But if you're already onto figuring out a clutch safety bypass, I'm guessing you've probably already figured the fob part out?

Last edited by Kent1999; 12-03-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:27 PM
FLgrandpa
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a note, on the 2019 models you have to press the clutch pedal AND the brake pedal to start so it’s a little more complicated yet. I don’t know if it’s that way on all 2019 model cars (maybe some new federal mandate ?) but sure is on my 1LT.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by FLgrandpa
Just a note, on the 2019 models you have to press the clutch pedal AND the brake pedal to start so it’s a little more complicated yet. I don’t know if it’s that way on all 2019 model cars (maybe some new federal mandate ?) but sure is on my 1LT.
GROSS!! I know automatics are doing the "press the brake" crap, which I don't get. Just a couple of years ago you just got in and turned the key and as long as it was in park, it turned over. Sure am glad I don't have a 2019 then!!
Old 12-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Not just a bypass relay for the clutch... You'll also need a relay to temporarily power an extra keyfob that will need to be hardwired and stay in the car at all times. (Car won't start without a known fob inside, even with the clutch safety bypassed). Automatics can get away with this using specialized OEM circuitry that I'm pretty sure will not be accessible in your manual car, but I'm not 100% on that.

But if you're already onto figuring out a clutch safety bypass, I'm guessing you've probably already figured the fob part out?
I actually thought of that, but figured that couldn't be the case because if you leave a key fob in there, anyone just just get in and crank the car at any time. Not to mention it would be stupid annoying with the triple beep that sounds every time you get out of the car and close the door with the fob inside. I assumed you could do whatever magic the automatics have. The shop said they had no issue doing it, so I assumed they took that into account. Guess I'll have to ask.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

There are some aftermarket solutions (I think Viper may still be an option) but is an engineering nightmare for all of the reasons listed. Zero option with the factory fob...

If you want remote start in an M7, get ready to spend a lot to override Federally mandated safety regulations that most installers won't tackle. I say this researching remote start for my previous C6 and decided it was not worth the expense and hassle.

Bought an A8 Z06 C7 instead and love the option of starting via a fob or my phone, along with countless other benefits!

Allen

Last edited by Allen_B; 12-03-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket remote start for M7?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

I actually thought of that, but figured that couldn't be the case because if you leave a key fob in there, anyone just just get in and crank the car at any time. Not to mention it would be stupid annoying with the triple beep that sounds every time you get out of the car and close the door with the fob inside. I assumed you could do whatever magic the automatics have. The shop said they had no issue doing it, so I assumed they took that into account. Guess I'll have to ask.
I can tell you the exact DIY way, with links to both commercial parts and method, to handle all the issues you care about (clutch interlock, sensing parking brake engaged and in neutral, remote starter activation, and even the key fob security issue without the annoying three beeps when you leave it in the car) specifically for the C7 Corvette, with the same available system that has been installed on a manual Viper ACR and a prior gen Corvette..

But I'm not going to... why?

Because you keep asking the same question (you did in ~May 2017) without apparently listening to anything people were/are saying (reread the old thread you linked).
Plus you seem like one of these guys who would remote start the car into the wall, or let it run down the driveway.

Don't bother PMing me either!

Last edited by Parcival; 12-03-2018 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HighBeta (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:21 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Can it be done? Yes, and it has been done. And yes, it involves a spare fob permanently being in the car in an altered state. But it is an ugly hack of the 1st order, and as others have said, you'll have to bypass a LOT of safety systems designed to keep accidents from happening and your car from being stolen.

One day, you WILL forget to leave it in neutral (yes, you will -- everyone makes mistakes), and your car kills someone by running them over when you remote-start it. The least of your problems will be that your installer has hacked (and I do mean hacked in the worst sense) into your very-complex C7's super-sensitive electronics. If you ONLY end up chasing mysterious dead battery or other electrical gremlin incidents, you'll be very lucky.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
HighBeta (12-03-2018), Parcival (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 06:54 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Parcival
I can tell you the exact DIY way, with links to both commercial parts and method, to handle all the issues you care about (clutch interlock, sensing parking brake engaged and in neutral, remote starter activation, and even the key fob security issue without the annoying three beeps when you leave it in the car) specifically for the C7 Corvette, with the same available system that has been installed on a manual Viper ACR and a prior gen Corvette..

But I'm not going to... why?

Because you keep asking the same question (you did in ~May 2017) without apparently listening to anything people were/are saying (reread the old thread you linked).
Plus you seem like one of these guys who would remote start the car into the wall, or let it run down the driveway.

Don't bother PMing me either!
Uhhhhh.... I don't recall asking this question last year. That thread I linked wasn't started by me. But thanks for the vote of confidence in my competence to keep my car from being destroyed! :-)

Also, I HIGHLY doubt you know how to do it. YOU seem like one of those kids on the school bus that says "I know but I'm not gonna telllllllllll you" because you actually don't know, you just wanna be a dick.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 12-04-2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: had to add a troll for the troll

Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start for M7?