C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Major issues with my A8 transmission in 2016 Z car towed to dealership!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:31 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Kind of ironic but we never hear of this issue out of Cadillac. My V has an 8 speed that has been faultless.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:45 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Kind of ironic but we never hear of this issue out of Cadillac. My V has an 8 speed that has been faultless.
I was just thinking that last night. Its got to be a bad batch from Mexico. (they sleep in the afternoon) maybe that's it!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:55 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
I was just thinking that last night. Its got to be a bad batch from Mexico. (they sleep in the afternoon) maybe that's it!
Isn't it the transaxle configuration of the Vette (having components in the rear that would traditionally be in the front to save weight) be why?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:11 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
Old 12-05-2016, 09:13 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Isn't it the transaxle configuration of the Vette (having components in the rear that would traditionally be in the front to save weight) be why?
If it is, shame on GM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:48 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
That's it! The tranny thinks it's going backwards in a CTS V
Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
I bet not...too many complaints here alone about it. And from my own experience with it, I have nothing great to say about it...and it's not just a few that have issues...(me included).

There's simply no reason they should have the bugs in them that they do...

I have driven more than one A8...and they all behave badly...software issues or otherwise, they are not great by any standards.

1st time in my life I have these stupid transmission issues in a vehicle I own...and I've owned many.
No issues with my A8. 2016 Stingray Z51, built 10/2015.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:16 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Not much break in necessary....

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Or do you drive it like you stole it so the computer learns to make the car nice and extra fast?

Just playing.
Hey Jimmy...

Not much break in necessary.... With engines I always like to be somewhat easy on them for the first 500-1000 miles, but

for the trans, (or when the trans is replaced) maybe 500-700 miles.

Fact is, with a new car, if you're trying to be nice to the ENGINE for the first 1,000 miles then the trans gets

a free ride cause clearly you're easy on that too.

Earlier in this thread, I saw someone mention about the HYPE, DISAPPOINTMENT, & FURIOUS POSTING by some of those

people disappointed that their NEW, EXPENSIVE car which developed a bad transmission....

We see a lot of it on the forum lately....And I think it's somewhat justified.

BUT, the reason for my post here is that people should NOT get all worried about their ZO6 TRANS or the A8 itself.

So far as I've seen, The trans is GREAT and we've had fantastic luck with it both in the CAMAROs, CORVETTES, and the TRUCKS.

-------------------------------------

Now, here's the issue I see that everyone should note:

The trans is a new design and the software needed some time to get the bugs worked out of it.

We have a few customers with 15' A8s and last I looked there was upwards of 7 or 8 different versions of software available for

those vehicles. Now that most of the bugs seem to be worked out of the GM software side of things, the transmissions

seem to be working GREAT and the TUNING makes them MUCH BETTER!

So, what this means.... You don't just get a letter in the mail when your car needs a software update for the engine or trans.....

They simply wait till you come in with a problem or complaint, and then the tech does some diag and hopefully decides to give

your car the current software that it needs.. Really simply, YOU DON'T ASK..... YOU DON'T GET.

So, Now you got this new car...and you're doing the diligent break in like a responsible person should.

You notice some funny shifts and strange behavior.... But, you assume "things will learn and work themselves out"

That's how these things go... You jump on it a bunch of times..... "WHAT THE HECK! It's WARRANTIED!" you say.

AND NOW THE TRANS IS BROKEN.

You are really not to blame, but to look back at it.... there were problems....and you continue to drive it....and eventually jump on it.

It's no surprise that some of these A8s end up getting replaced, but from everything I've seen it mostly appears to be

software control related much more than poor design or abuse.

ie: You can't operate a sophisticated trans like the A8 and expect it's going to last if the control software has issues.

GM did an amazing job with the A6 and I believe the A8 is only better and stronger than the A6 was.... Great products.

However, I don't think the consumers know enough about the importance of the software updates they require to live and

work properly.

To sum this up, I'm going to say that there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO AVOID THE A8 TRANS.

In fact, I think it's far nicer and more durable than the stick.... BUT it does NEED to be updated to the latest software.

(2015s seem to be the most needy in this department)

and there is also NO SUBSTITUTE for a good A8 tune such as what we offer.

Many people complain about the TAP shifts and the LAZY feeling trans and we got that all worked out.

In addition to all that, regardless of the software your car has in it presently, I always update everyone to the LATEST

version for your model and year car so there we're NOT putting a good tune on top of software that is not updated.

I think that's the key. BTW, with our AutoCal device I can do the software updates from anywhere in the world using the

internet and your e-mail just the same way we do all of our other mail order tuning. NO NEED to remove or ship PCM/TCM for the C7s.

So again, Nobody should opt-out of an A8 car for a stick cause the A8 is much better.... Just be sure SOMEONE properly updates

your car to the latest trans software and for those that ARE UPDATED and you feel that the car lacks spunk and performance....

GIVE US A CALL!
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 12-07-2016 at 03:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck CoW:
djnice (05-01-2017), Mopar Jimmy (12-07-2016)

Quick Reply: Major issues with my A8 transmission in 2016 Z car towed to dealership!