Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Loud clicking noise from wheels when turning

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud clicking noise from wheels when turning

Old 03-22-2017, 07:56 PM
FastestBusaAround
CF Senior Member

Received 207 Likes on 132 Posts

Had it on my '08. Changed the OEM tires to non-runcraps and it never came back. Have it on my 16...

Don't have it on my 991 TTS, Viper or FGT's either...and none of them have those damn runcraps either.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:00 PM
David Kadish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Grand Sport ticking left front

Originally Posted by Gvettesc View Post
my 2017 GS is doing the same thing when I turn right or left it's been doing it since new? What's the fix cause my dealership is pathetic the guy couldn't even drive my car back into the shop stalled out twice.....I'd hate to have to go back to Hendricks chevy but it's my only option
I also bought mine at Hendricks and it has ticked since day one. They had it 4 four times and no fix they keep saying it is fixed. I even made an audio and sent to Chevrolet and they say since the dealer can't find it then it must be fixed..

please let me know what your resolution was.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Rob4092xx
CF Senior Member

Received 129 Likes on 44 Posts

Read my earlier post. Spread the grease very thin (use as thick and high temperature as you can find) and it will correct the clicking.

Originally Posted by 97C5driver View Post
see above posted by richierichzo6

the wheels need to come off and the surface that touches the rotors needs to be cleaned, as well as the rotor hat. I was going to pull the wheels and do it myself but the car is getting serviced right now so might as well have chevy do it.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:10 PM
FastestBusaAround
CF Senior Member

For a month...
Old 03-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Rob4092xx
CF Senior Member

Are you saying you tried it and it worked for one month?

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround View Post
For a month...
Old 03-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Jason900rr
CF Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

This TSB does not take care of it! I have the exact same problem with my car and the noise is very prominent when you're next to a retaining wall with your windows down! I brought mine to a chevy dealer and told them about the TSB and they performed the service and after I picked my car up, about a few minutes from the dealer I past a retaining wall with my window down and heard the buzzing/clicking noise and I turned around and went back to the dealer! I now have to wait for the weather to warm up as it's only in the 40's now! The service advisor also wanted me to put my stock lug nuts back on! The nice thing is I also had my steering wheel shimmy when I hit the brakes at high speed and loud brake squeal and 5mph and below so the mechanic that I took for a ride to show all these issues said most likely I will be getting pads and rotors when the car comes back! I hope the new rotors and pads take away the clicking/buzzing sound as some have stated on here that it's the brakes!

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 View Post
There is a TSB for that issue and it requires the wheels to be removed and the mating area between the wheel and hub to be cleaned thoroughly. It will make the noise go away for a while and then you will likely have to clean the area again.

#PI1498B: Clicking Noise from Front and/or Rear Wheels - (Aug 23, 2016)
Subject: Clicking Noise from Front and/or Rear Wheels

Models: 2014-2017 Chevrolet Corvette
2016-2017 Chevrolet Camaro

Attention: This PI also applies to any of the above models that may be Export from North America vehicles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI has been revised to add the Camaro model and the 2017 Model Year. Please discard PI1498A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on a clicking noise emanating from either the front or rear wheels location. This condition may be more predominate at low speeds (10-20 mph or 16-32 km/h) during full wheel lock turns on dry clean pavement. The clicking noise is generally noted as approximately 1 to 4 clicks per wheel revolution.

This may be caused by interaction between the wheel mounting face and the wheel mounting surface on the brake rotor.

Recommendation/Instructions
Important: Do NOT replace the wheels or brake rotors for this condition.

If you encounter a vehicle with the above concern, follow the procedure below.

 1. Remove all four of the wheels. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in SI.
 2. Clean all four of the wheels mounting surface as follows.
◦Using a clean cloth dampened with approved brake cleaner (ex. Part number 19287401 (U.S.), 88901247 (Canada)), wipe the mounting surface of the wheel(s) removing any residual grey or black material that has accumulated on the wheel mounting surface.
Note: All cleaning must be done by hand. Do NOT use pneumatic or power tools.

 3. Clean the wheel mounting surface of the brake rotors, or sometimes referred to as the brake rotor top hats, as follows.
◦Using a clean cloth dampened with approved brake cleaner (ex. Part number 19287401 (U.S.), 88901247 (Canada)) wipe the wheels mounting surface of the rotor (brake rotor top hat) removing any residual grey or black material that has accumulated on the rotors.
Note: During the cleaning process, be sure to clean the rotor near the wheel pilot at the center of the rotor.

Note: All cleaning must be done by hand. Do NOT use pneumatic or power tools.

 4. Reinstall all four of the wheels using the original wheel nuts and torque specifications. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in SI.
•Corvette 140 Y (103 lb ft)
•Camaro 190 Y (140 lb ft)
Important: Be sure wheels and rotors are thoroughly dry prior to installation.

Last edited by Jason900rr; 03-25-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:02 PM
DogTag-C7R
CF Senior Member

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Same issue in left front - Dealer tore apart- cleaned - reseated - good as new for about 2 months..... came back. gonna change my license plate to "Tick Tock" and live with it.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Devereaux
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am presuming none of these issues are tire crow-hopping. I get that with cold but it disappears with heat in the tires.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM
FastestBusaAround
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx View Post
Are you saying you tried it and it worked for one month?
I didn't...others who have posted here have. If you read my previous post...you see I changes tires to non runcraps to solve it. It's been an issue on Vettes through the C5/ C6 and C7's that I have had. It's the stupid run craps. It's not the fitment to the wheel, not for me anyway.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:15 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Exactly

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx View Post
This is a very common problem on most high performance sports cars. The fix is very, very simple! It almost always comes from the front brakes..not rear.

Pull the front brake pads out (very simple). Take super thick axle grease and spread a thin layer on the back of your brake pad. If the pad has "anti-squeak" shims, spread grease on both sides of it. The noise comes from the back of the pad rubbing against the caliper pressure point (metal to metal) under very high stress conditions. The rotors "float" so they shift a tiny bit when the brakes are applied. The grease eliminates the "clicking" noise this creates. Yes, the clicking noise as well as squeaks.

Do not be concerned about grease getting on your pads. It doesn't happen. Use a thick grease and thin layer.

I have done this on my Expedition, C6, Ferrari 360 and Lambo Gallardo all with 100% success!
Have done the same on 4 of my vehicles including A8 and this is the fix.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Speednet
CF Senior Member

Received 318 Likes on 167 Posts

I posted about this last year: My 2016 Z06 had clicking noises when turning, and after the dealer removed the wheels and inspected everything they found that GM forgot to trim the tails off of black plastic zip ties on each side. They clipped off the tails and the clicking went away. I guess they were slapping against the wheel spokes.

Last edited by Speednet; 05-20-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:02 PM
5thGear
CF Senior Member

Received 193 Likes on 122 Posts

I was hearing loud clicking / cluncking sound when I turn the wheel at low speed, going forward or in reverse. Even louder on an uneven surface. Its not tire hopping issue.
Took my car to the dealership last week. I replicated the sound for the technician. They called GM and GM asked them to refer to a bulliten regarding this issue. Basically they removed the wheels and cleaned the contact area between brake rotor and wheel. Two hours later I went to pickup the car and sure enough problem was solved.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Rob4092xx
CF Senior Member

That is great news! This solved clicking problems in several of my vehicles over the years and once I performed this fix, the noise never came back! It is super easy to do!

Originally Posted by ZeeOh6Nut View Post
Have done the same on 4 of my vehicles including A8 and this is the fix.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 AM
Thunder22
CF Senior Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 897 Posts

I have this happening now as well. Is the clicking damaging anything? i.e. do I need to get the car to the dealer asap, or can it wait?
Old 06-17-2017, 01:01 PM
JoyRider77

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got mine back from the dealer for a transmission issue and had them do this for the wheels also. The clicking has been going on for a while especially after a good mountain run with lots of brake use. I have found just loosening the wheels and re-torquing them will calm it down for a while but not completely stop it. Now that they were properly cleaned the clicking is completely gone. Here's a video of what it sounds like when at it's worst for those who aren't sure what is being discussed.

The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (03-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2017, 02:43 AM
Cubicinches
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I had my dealer perform TSB #PI1498B as RichieRich pointed out. So far, so good, though not much time has passed.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:37 PM
The_Gretz
CF Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 92 Posts

What’s funny is that my wife’s 2016 2SS Camaro does the exact same thing.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:53 PM
3L337 C6
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had this issue in my c6, they ended replacing a wheel hub, it fixed the issue.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Magister Ludi
CF Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm experiencing this problem for the first time since I took delivery in Oct/2013. I just returned from two track days at Laguna Seca with CARBOTECH pads. No clicking on track or way home. After putting my stock pads back in, clicking started. Makes me suspect the pad/caliper interface. I'm going to give the dealer a crack at it before I try the suggestions above. Thanks to all for the input.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:25 PM
z51vett
CF Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I have this also 2016 Z06 I don't hear it my son inlaw did standing outside car both front wheels. I'm not letting some new trainee pull my wheels off and skin them up. Is this warranty and how often and when it's out that's a pain in the *** for me 73 bad back and shoulder.
z51vett
Doug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud clicking noise from wheels when turning

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: