C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Loud clicking noise from wheels when turning

Old 07-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
I have this also 2016 Z06 I don't hear it my son inlaw did standing outside car both front wheels. I'm not letting some new trainee pull my wheels off and skin them up. Is this warranty and how often and when it's out that's a pain in the *** for me 73 bad back and shoulder.
z51vett
Doug
If you can't trust the dealer to remove 5 bolts from a wheel what exactly can you trust them to do? Life is too short to worry about that. Save your back and shoulder and let the dealer check it out.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:28 AM
Jason900rr
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think I may have found the issue, well at least for my clicking! I was looking under the car the other day while cleaning the inner barrels of my rims and when I was in the front I started looking around to see where this "clicking" "buzzing" noise could possibly be coming from! I noticed that right behind the lower control arm there is a black plastic piece on both sides of the car that is about 1/4" at most behind it! I thought at a certain speed that this could be hitting the control arm so I decided to bend it back and hold it for a few seconds to kinda reshape it. I did this to both sides a few times until it was about 3/4" bent back from the control arm! Lowered my car back to the ground and went for a drive and my "clicking" "buzzing" noise has disappeared!
The following users liked this post:
OUT2SEE (01-03-2020)
Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 AM
IM4A2Z
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine just started doing it this morning when I pulled into the parking garage at work, I'm at 3,900 miles. Glad I found this thread! I'll pull the front pads this weekend and lube the shims.

Last edited by IM4A2Z; 08-31-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:00 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

i had it when i first got the car, but now it's not doing it any longer. odd.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:21 PM
gSwift
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Anyone still having this issue, or have a permanent fix? Haven't drove my Z in a couple weeks and I noticed on Monday that it was clicking.

I took it home and jacked the car up and it was still clicking just from turning the wheel by hand. So I went a step further and pulled pulled one pad on the driver side and the clicking stopped. So I put everything back together and the problem returned.

Dropped it off at the dealer on Tuesday and today I get the same BS answer from GM..."it's normal". The dealer did say that GM said they could cut the rotors and that they would cover that, but the noise will return. This seems far from normal to me.

My car has 3000 miles and has Carbotech pads. I did grease the pads when they were installed and haven't had an issue until right now. Guess i'll try to re-grease them.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Devereaux
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Mine is a '16. I routinely get the problem when I first pull out of the garage when turning the wheel. However, after the tires get warmed up, it is no longer there. I notice it more in the winter if I go out on a cold day. In the warmer weather don't see it much. When I return to the garage, no clicking when turning.

I have 6400 miles, tires are original, as are rims. Brakes did it with the original pads, and now also with the CarboTech pads.

Last edited by Devereaux; 03-30-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:16 PM
gSwift
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Devereaux
Mine is a '16. I routinely get the problem when I first pull out of the garage when turning the wheel. However, after the tires get warmed up, it is no longer there. I notice it more in the winter if I go out on a cold day. In the warmer weather don't see it much. When I return to the garage, no clicking when turning.

I have 6400 miles, tires are original, as are rims. Brakes did it with the original pads, and now also with the CarboTech pads.
Yeah mine is doing it though with the wheel off. So I know it’s not wheel or tire related. Oh well, guess I’ll see what’s it’s doing when I get it back from the dealer shaving the rotors.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:29 AM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

I have a 17 Z and my wife has a 16 Camaro SS. They both make the same clicking sound. I gave up on trying to fix it a long time ago
Old 06-13-2018, 09:54 AM
CaptainSlow
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Gretz
I have a 17 Z and my wife has a 16 Camaro SS. They both make the same clicking sound. I gave up on trying to fix it a long time ago
Reviving this thread as I also have the clicking sound on my 2017 Z06. It is especially loud in the garage where I work. I brought it to the dealer but they couldn't hear it. They performed the TSB anyway but the sound was back in a day. I will probably take it back one more time and then I guess I have to live with it.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 AM
Vette_17
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

strange how the fix worked for some and not others
Old 10-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Strobe89
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't seen any posts (didn't look too hard) about people having this issue on the newer cars. I have a 2019 Z06 that I bought new 2 months ago and the click when cornering developed at about 2300 miles. Taking the wheels off and cleaning the back of the mounting surfaces of the rotor hat and back of the wheel then retorque resolved the issue. I don't see how it could have done anything because the surfaces already looked clean. Just glad it was an easy fix and the dealer didn't have to touch it. Figured I'd share that the problem happened on a 2019 C7Z and that the proposed solution worked as another data point.

Last edited by Strobe89; 10-05-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:38 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

What cleaning process did you use? How can you clean something that doesn't look dirty and know that it is clean?
Old 10-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Strobe89
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djnice
What cleaning process did you use? How can you clean something that doesn't look dirty and know that it is clean?
When I took the wheels off the rotor hat had like a dusty outline of where the wheel was and a tiny bit of a greasy look to the hub lip. I cleaned the hub lip and rotor hat using an all purpose cleaner and some rags. Did the same with the back of the wheel where it mounts then put them back on. I highly doubt cleaning the dustyness did anything, but it's possible there was something that came off as I took the wheels off and I just didn't see it.
The following users liked this post:
djnice (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 01:41 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I will have to try cleaning mine better. I recently had them on and off a lot, changing brakes for the track, bleeding, etc, and had track wheel on. They all make noise. Started noticing it a lot more in corners on the track.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:35 AM
Ramii2005
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took mine in for the 3rd time. 19 GS, 4k miles. GM said to replace the passenger side hub, as that is a common issue/fix.. apparently.

Well, they are on strike, so I guess I'll see that hub in a year......
Old 10-10-2019, 12:54 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
This is a very common problem on most high performance sports cars. The fix is very, very simple! It almost always comes from the front brakes..not rear.

Pull the front brake pads out (very simple). Take super thick axle grease and spread a thin layer on the back of your brake pad. If the pad has "anti-squeak" shims, spread grease on both sides of it. The noise comes from the back of the pad rubbing against the caliper pressure point (metal to metal) under very high stress conditions. The rotors "float" so they shift a tiny bit when the brakes are applied. The grease eliminates the "clicking" noise this creates. Yes, the clicking noise as well as squeaks.

Do not be concerned about grease getting on your pads. It doesn't happen. Use a thick grease and thin layer.

I have done this on my Expedition, C6, Ferrari 360 and Lambo Gallardo all with 100% success!
Same experience. Brake pads. If you walk next to the front wheel while someone drives a slow tight turn, you can hear the pads tagging the slots on the rotors. I use grease but I have heard others putting a drop of Permatex on the back of the pads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud clicking noise from wheels when turning