C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Inexpensive track cooling solution

Old 11-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Inexpensive track cooling solution

I've been asked by others to post what my company and myself have done to our 2015, M7, Z07 since new. After some back and forth with a couple engineers we came up with this simple yet effective cooling system. This may or may not work for others but it does well for us. There are many other cooling solutions that are much better obviously but not close to this for cost and the simple installation. Our objective was not to effect the cars warranty or the designed down force. I am posting it here so it may inspire other to do the same or similar.

After a successful summer tracking our car at Watkins Glen International we have not once gone into limp nor overheated. Below is a short clip from a hot August day there in the low 90's and humid. Our cars cooling is 100% stock from the factory, NO radiators or coolers added. Other than normal track prep we have theses CNC'd oil\water cooler fins attached with a thermal adhesive. These 5 fins double the surface area of the cooler. We get less than a 10% loss in cooling efficiency from the cooler to the fin edges. It is more of a heat sink now similar to what you see used with electrical components. We have DEI cat covers and DEI titanium header rap anywhere we can get to. This removes a lot of the heat radiation coming off them as they are located inches from the cooler, stupid!! We also run a 3 inch fresh air hose from the grill area to the cooler.

Most of the time my ECT temps are in the 215-220 range and EOT 250-260. The highest to date is 226 and 272 based on my SOLO AIM data recorder. My car does not have PDR. With out hard proof I do believe while others are overheating same track same day I am not! We did take some laser temps on the lift to see the temp loss across the fins as I posted here. 179 at the cooler body and 164 at the fin tip. Because there is oil and water going thru this cooler the fins should help both to dissipate heat. Yes I push the car, 2:10 lap times at WG in traffic @ 150MPH, sub 2.08's on an open track should be no problem on newer Cup'2s.... next year!

I have additional fins, adhesive, hose and aluminum bungs. We are also dealers for DEI Engineering of you are in need of catalytic covers or rap. Send me a PM

I am lucky to have a great friend and champion Corvette driver as a coach. I'm more comfortable with him in the car than without. The C6 Z06 race car was ******* me for a few laps here when I let him go. It was exciting how well we could stay with him after the pass. This was the last few laps of a hot afternoon session, notice the EOT & ECT's.

The half round cut outs in the fin allow the cooler to be removed with out removing the fins. The fins are installed without removing the cooler. We keep them ground rough to increase surface area. Fresh air duct dumps directly on the cooler to help.

Temp at fin tip 164.5, the body was 179.5. Shows good heat transfer we were happy our thermal adhesive is working!

DEI rap around the exhaust at trans area to help keep that cool. GM should of had shields here.

Fresh air inlet driver side grill

Fresh air hose routed thru the suspension.

Temp at cooler body 179.5. This was not taken at the track the only differences would be higher numbers.
The following 9 users liked this post by Mad Dog 24:
360Lemans (11-13-2016), cvp33 (11-12-2016), jbsblownc5 (11-13-2016), JCSIII (11-12-2016), MindBend (11-13-2016), racerx8 (11-13-2016), rsilver (11-14-2016), SterlingDrive (11-13-2016), tracer3030 (11-13-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-12-2016, 05:00 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Thank you for posting!
Old 11-12-2016, 05:53 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,866 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Are you keeping a template or building more?
Old 11-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't track my car, but this is very cool of you too share your ideas. Nice work too! Seems well thought out
Old 11-13-2016, 07:11 AM
MindBend
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Very nice post. I was actually at the track with my black Z the day before! I too have wrapped and covered as much as possibly, but didn't really consider the rear in order to keep the trans more cool. Thanks for the great write up!
Old 11-13-2016, 07:58 AM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Very impressed with the ingenuity and simplicity. If you ever decide to manufacture more, count me in!
Andy
Old 11-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!

Thanks for the compliments. There made on a CNC machine so the design is done, now it takes just a push of a button to produce more. I sold the kit to another tracker recently and wrote out install directions that I can reprint.

PM me those that want them I will get back to you on cost and how long. I may need to get more fins cut, order adhesive and more applicators, got to see at the shop what's there.

On a side note, someone here a while ago posted a hole in his oil cooler from a stone hitting it on the track. I think these fins should help protect them too as it does hang low. Our original idea was to Tig weld them to the cooler. We quickly found they are paper thin and not weld able. This skin helps dissipate the heat better too
The following users liked this post:
jbsblownc5 (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 11:31 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

very nice writeup with pics and ingenuity!
Old 11-13-2016, 11:56 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AORoads
very nice writeup with pics and ingenuity!

Thank you for sharing, and making the obvious improvements that need to be done for aggressive track driving in warm weather. GM has done some upgrades in my 17 car, and my first track day showed it could take 20 minutes of hard driving in 77 degree weather, but I want to be prepared for the inevitable hot days we get here in Socal...

Last edited by jbsblownc5; 11-13-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

This is great information, I'll have to try this out. What amazes me is the c7 doesn't breathe from the bottom as the previous c5/c6 did. I know it can create a drag and maybe even lift effect but it sure would allow a ton of more air to enter the coolers. The front opening is just to small on this car. Glad to see some inexpensive solutions.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:40 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Are there specific locations these fins need to be bonded to the cooler? I noticed you used 5 fins, and there appears to be plenty of room to add 4 more fins.. Just thinking of increasing the surface area even further?

FYI: Here's another thermal fin solution that I stumbled upon that is attempting to do the same thing.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...-arc-cool-fin/

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Thanks for the compliments. There made on a CNC machine so the design is done, now it takes just a push of a button to produce more. I sold the kit to another tracker recently and wrote out install directions that I can reprint.

PM me those that want them I will get back to you on cost and how long. I may need to get more fins cut, order adhesive and more applicators, got to see at the shop what's there.

On a side note, someone here a while ago posted a hole in his oil cooler from a stone hitting it on the track. I think these fins should help protect them too as it does hang low. Our original idea was to Tig weld them to the cooler. We quickly found they are paper thin and not weld able. This skin helps dissipate the heat better too
Old 11-13-2016, 04:09 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24

Do the fins have to be glued on with the oil 'brick' off the car, or can they be installed with it on?

TIA,
Bish
Old 11-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Bish, Yes they are best installed with the cooler brick on the car. It easiest to remove the chassis brace that's about it.

ACS55, Yes more could be used but our thought was theres a point of no return as enough air must pass over them. Good question.. maybe 1 or 2 more that's about it I would say. We try to angle then down in the front some to catch the undercar flow. Thanks for the article there are many on the subject of thermal heat reduction ideas and products.

Ltrain, You are 100% correct, the openings in the front grill area of these cars is what limits the cooling effectiveness of some great well made aftermarket coolers and radiators. Why we did not go that route.

JBSBlown, I have not seen a 17 cooler yet and they may have a different style. 15 and 16's are the size and shape of a brick. The bricks are also used on some Mopars and Vipers. I've seen a GM with a different configuration same design idea like a diamond somewhere but not sure on what. Maybe it was a Camaro???
Old 11-13-2016, 08:11 PM
WhiteSands
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

PM sent.
Thanks for your effort.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:11 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

FWIW I have used these mods on my 15 A8 Z07. I have not added the front air duct or wrapped anything but the cats. I have a 3 inch exhaust pipe duct directing air from the wheel well to the cooler. Not as efficient as Mad dog 24. WiTHOUT the cooling fins, I was actually able to run a couple of 20 minute sessions in 92 degree temps at HPR In colorado. Before that, in that ambient temp range, I would overheat ECT in 3 or 4 laps and I am slow. Sounds like I am about 5 sec off some Z06 owners who brought their cars out to this track. Point is, it overheated quckly not pushing the car, but after the mods I was able to get all the sessions at 92 degrees ambient.I have the fin kit and will install this winter. If I can test in spring I will post any improvements. Maybe enough to run in the 90's and get closer to the faster drivers without over heating. I missed a lot of track days this year because of ambient temps over 95 degrees making it not worth it to drive 6 hours round trip just to run and over heat.

Last edited by rsilver; 11-14-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Originally Posted by rsilver
FWIW I have used these mods on my 15 A8 Z07. I have not added the front air duct or wrapped anything but the cats. I have a 3 inch exhaust pipe duct directing air from the wheel well to the cooler. Not as efficient as Mad dog 24. WiTHOUT the cooling fins, I was actually able to run a couple of 20 minute sessions in 92 degree temps at HPR In colorado. Before that, in that ambient temp range, I would overheat ECT in 3 or 4 laps and I am slow. Sounds like I am about 5 sec off some Z06 owners who brought their cars out to this track. Point is, it overheated quckly not pushing the car, but after the mods I was able to get all the sessions at 92 degrees ambient.I have the fin kit and will install this winter. If I can test in spring I will post any improvements. Maybe enough to run in the 90's and get closer to the faster drivers without over heating. I missed a lot of track days this year because of ambient temps over 95 degrees making it not worth it to drive 6 hours round trip just to run and over heat.
Thanks Bob, I hope the fins give you some additional cooling so you don't miss any more track days next season. We just order some more fin kits as many CV guys have contacted me for them. While there not the final definitive fix all they sure cant hurt for many of us.

Have a nice Holiday
The following users liked this post:
rsilver (11-17-2016)
Old 10-03-2017, 03:00 PM
jkappel
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

nice! this is a pretty cool way to set things up

Get notified of new replies

To Inexpensive track cooling solution

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Inexpensive track cooling solution