C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Ramps vs lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:06 PM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch84
Your Ramps failed? How so? Cheap ugly Rhino Ramps? Or Fred's amazing Ramps? Kinda hard to believe you. Please give specifics how they failed ....
Since you are unable to comprehend what happened own your own, let me try to explain it to you. They were unable to support the weight. They were both SUV rated heavy duty ramps. If memory serves me correct both were 5000 lbs rated. The first set were not mine, the owner said he bought them at autozone. I bought the second set at O'Reilly auto. The vehicle on both sets of ramps was a 1996 chevy 1/2 ton pickup, regular cab, short bed, V8, and auto. Well below rated capacity. Bought a set of Rhino ramps after that and no problems. As I said earlier, lucky for you you weren't under them. Hope that clears it up for you. And good luck on your weatherman job.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 AM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Fred@ReverseLogic;1593494434]When you are ready to lower the car, how do you know that the hydraulics are still functional before you release the locking bar? You will not be able to release the safety catches until you lift the car up a small amount. That would show you that the hydraulics are functional. Of course your low profile ramps would be better for loading a low vehicle onto a flatbed towtruck or loading onto a trailer. Not saying your ramps will not work for service work because they will. How ever some of your high end sets are on the same price point as some hydraulic lifts. And when at the same price point, the lifts do have some nice features, such as being EZ to remove all wheels at once and doing suspension and brake work. No hard feelings just stating the obvious.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:38 PM
tracer3030
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Call Quick jack they have a black friday deal! 1-888-262-3880 Just ordered one
Old 11-23-2016, 04:40 PM
Mitch84
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tracer3030
How do you like it so far? How are the welds?
Old 11-23-2016, 04:48 PM
tracer3030
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just ordered it today so when it comes Ill give some feed back. For me it will work great I have a 4 post hoist for the big stuff. I did get the 3500 and the DC pump so I can use it anywhere. Its made by or for bend pak a big hoist seller

Last edited by tracer3030; 11-23-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Mitch84
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool so let us know .....
Old 11-23-2016, 05:38 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

It is a little bit of a pain to assemble, but not too difficult. Get yourself 3 quarts of Dexron III ATF. You will need it.

And be sure to bleed it. You have to raise and lower it about half way a few times at first to get the fluid through the lines, then bleed at the bleed screws. Also, it will be jerky at first with no load on it - this is normal. The instructions are pretty straight forward. I ran into a few hitches but it all worked out.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:37 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

How good is the deal? I might have to call from Afghanistan.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:17 AM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Saw a commercial last light for $100 off
Old 11-29-2016, 06:04 PM
diverman
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nekoz
Those with quckjacks, are you just parking your car over it daily?
I just wanted to know if I can just leave the quickjack there under the corvette to double up the garage space.
Yes
Old 12-06-2016, 01:11 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Is there enough room under the car on this thing to do long tube headers?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

I think I'm going to order the QuickJack this month, are there any other alternatives I should consider? My garage is a small 1 car, so space is an extreme premium.

If anyone is aware, would I be able to service the fuel line on a 2002 Trans Am (it runs alongside the drive side frame rail)
Old 12-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Larry M
I think I'm going to order the QuickJack this month, are there any other alternatives I should consider? My garage is a small 1 car, so space is an extreme premium.

If anyone is aware, would I be able to service the fuel line on a 2002 Trans Am (it runs alongside the drive side frame rail)
For the price, safety, space considerations and convenience, I wasn't able to find a better alternative.

As far as the fuel line work, there is a small amount of left-right adjustment available before you lift the car. It will ultimately be determined by the jacking points and the contact point of the rubber blocks they give you. The rubber blocks sit in a cradle on top of the unit, and can be moved to the inner side, allowing you to pull the unit out a small amount. As long as the rubber block makes full contact with the jacking point, you can lift the car. On my Vette, the unit extends under the car 9.5 inches from the edge of the side skirt. 7.5 inches from the outside edge of the rocker.

So I would think 10 inches of unusable space would be worse case scenario. Again, will depend on the jacking point.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:20 PM
jeffinsd
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just put mine (Quickjack) together today.

Really sturdy- easy to assemble and make work. Stows away nicely under the car. I repeated the thing the guy did on the video and TRIED to shake the car and it just doesn't budge. It's not balanced on top of the lift it's sitting on the jack points, just where you'd put the pucks. No doubt in my mind you could do just about anything to it. Easily as strong as jack stands.

I think Mitch is just having you all on - or bored out of his mind and looking for a dust up. It's easy to be aggravating when you don't have to face actual people to do it. Respect isn't very interesting but makes things work better. How about a little more of it, ok Mitch? Offer information when you have it, and keep mum when you don't.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:56 PM
nvydvr
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Mitch is trolling. I am done feeding him. He thinks you can change brakes on race ramps. Or he has never turned a wrench. Likely doesn't even own a Corvette either. Trolling me any way you cut it. No facts. No evidence. Just troll-talk.

I'm happy to answer any legitimate questions if anyone is actually interested though, which I thought was the point of this thread. Don't even know why people bother trying to help on here anymore.

With the quickjack, you can still back-up the entire operation with jack-stands and a jack if you really feel like it. The primary point is that you can raise the car and get all four wheels off and keep it that way indefinitely. And this is done in rapid fashion. Slide ramps, push button. 30 seconds later car is lifted. Makes things a **** ton easier to do alot of things. If you are still afraid to crawl under the car after the 5000lb rated locking bars are engaged, then you can easily slide some jack stands under it and a jack as well in about 5 seconds.
This is my first Corvette so this may be a silly question but... does the jack just seat on the frame or do you have to use some pucks? Do they make specifically designed ramps for individual cars or are they generic jacks that work on all cars? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by nvydvr
This is my first Corvette so this may be a silly question but... does the jack just seat on the frame or do you have to use some pucks? Do they make specifically designed ramps for individual cars or are they generic jacks that work on all cars? Thanks for the help.
Not a stupid question at all. I had the exact same question before I bought mine. As Jeff said above, it lifts at the jacking points.

It does not lift along the whole frame of the car, although it looks that way in pics. What happens is that they supply you with these rectangular, rubber blocks. There are a few sizes. They sit on top of the lift at 4 separate locations and can be moved around. These are the lift points.

So on a Vette, due to the fact that it is low and may have side skirts, you can also use jacking pucks. Using the pucks also makes sure that the rubber blocks don't touch the rockers. So the procedure is to install the pucks on the car, slide the lift under the car, then place the supplied rubber blocks on top of the lift and directly under where the pucks are. So basically the rubber blocks will lift exactly where the pucks are, onto the pucks. It can be done without the pucks as well if your car has enough room at the jacking points.

As far as I know, the ramps are generic and will likely work on most cars. They are rated according to weight. I have the 5000lb rated unit but they also make a 7000lb rated unit with an adapter for SUVs. I've used my lift on my Benz, both my Vettes (C6 and C7), my wife's Acura and my son's Nissan. All with no problem. Just locate the jacking points on the car, and arrange the rubber blocks to be below those points. I've used it with and without pucks.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Not a stupid question at all. I had the exact same question before I bought mine. As Jeff said above, it lifts at the jacking points.

It does not lift along the whole frame of the car, although it looks that way in pics. What happens is that they supply you with these rectangular, rubber blocks. There are a few sizes. They sit on top of the lift at 4 separate locations and can be moved around. These are the lift points.

So on a Vette, due to the fact that it is low and may have side skirts, you can also use jacking pucks. Using the pucks also makes sure that the rubber blocks don't touch the rockers. So the procedure is to install the pucks on the car, slide the lift under the car, then place the supplied rubber blocks on top of the lift and directly under where the pucks are. So basically the rubber blocks will lift exactly where the pucks are, onto the pucks. It can be done without the pucks as well if your car has enough room at the jacking points.

As far as I know, the ramps are generic and will likely work on most cars. They are rated according to weight. I have the 5000lb rated unit but they also make a 7000lb rated unit with an adapter for SUVs. I've used my lift on my Benz, both my Vettes (C6 and C7), my wife's Acura and my son's Nissan. All with no problem. Just locate the jacking points on the car, and arrange the rubber blocks to be below those points. I've used it with and without pucks.
Any adapters needed for pinch welds?

Get notified of new replies

To Ramps vs lift

Old 12-18-2016, 10:14 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

There are two kinds of pinch welds. American and Japanese cars typically have reinforced pinch welds. For these cars you lift the car directly on the pinch weld. Pinch welds on European cars (like Fiat or Audi) typically do not have reinforced pinch welds. The lift point on these cars is on the inboard side of the pinch weld.

If you are lucky enough to get an emergency scissors jack with your car, you can confirm the type of pinch weld you have by observing the way the vehicle jack engages with the pinch weld. For cars with a reinforced pinch weld, the jack will not have a very deep slot. For European cars, the jack will usually have a deep slot that straddles the pinch weld.

Using the wrong pinch weld adapter can either fold over the pinch weld, or dent the body on either side of the pinch weld.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:33 AM
peacekeeper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kwik Lift

IMG 6224
Old 12-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Depending on the width of the pinch weld, you can purchase an adapter that can go over it, and serve as the jacking point. Search google for: FIGS JACK JAW Frame Rail Armor

I think this one is good for up to 7mm.

Quick Reply: Ramps vs lift