C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Halltech CAI; Results & Review, stock 2016 C7 Z06 A8

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:40 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

After installing the HT CAI, I too got a CEL. There are some warnings on the install instructions about attempting to start the car with the hood up, etc... I was not guilty of any of that.... After driving it for 2-3 drive cycles it went away and has not returned yet. I think the car just had to adjust to it-- that's my theory anyhow.

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I, too, got the MAF code...but at idle. Initially, I attempted to clean it with CRC spray, but that didn't do the trick. After simply replacing the sensor, I never had the issue again. Who knows...maybe coincidence?!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:47 PM
ACS55
Pro

Count me in as a skeptic on the 140mph prediction, but if you want to "loan" me a TRIC ram air unit for testing... I will gladly test it and report back on the results... in the same manner that I have done (and will continue to do) on the CAI.

Before the TRIC gets installed, I will be returning to Temple/Academy dragway with the current setup to dispel any possibilities that the different track may have been the reason for me to pickup 0.15 ET, and 5+mph (even in a much much worse DA).

"In God we trust, ALL OTHERS BRING DATA!"

Andy

Originally Posted by Halltech
The OP is going to get his hands on the TRIC and back to the track. 140 mph? How many believers would there be? To run 135 mph @ 2000+ DA tells me that our TRIC, which provides ambient air temps at the IAT, and 12 PSI boost, we could see low 10s and 140 mph.

Our reward of $250 still stands for the first customer to run 9s with just our Stinger-RZ and TRIC. Drag radials and exhaust are ok, but no headers, tuning, or other power bolt-ons to qualify.
The following 2 users liked this post by ACS55:
ajrothm (11-29-2016), tail_lights (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 02:26 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I've had Halltech intakes in both my ZR1 and '15 Z06, and am contemplating putting it into my new Z06. The only issue I've ever had was related to a MAF sensor, which I was able to sort myself. But, I've always wondered what GM's position is on them. So, I asked my dealer to contact the area service rep for Chevy and find out. This is an excerpt for the email response I received this morning:

Official position on the intake is that any non gm modification to the vehicle could be subject to warranty block/denial. That being said the cases with intakes causing a warranty issue are typically related to hydrolocking (lock up due to water in the engine) which wouldn't be warrantable in any situation.

Having said that, I have no problem with any cold air intake and doing warranty related items as long as the intake itself doesn't become the repetitive cause. Water intake being the exception.

Perhaps someone smarter than me can answer whether hydrolocking really is a common problem with CAI's?
Glenn to answer your question about hydro-lock.

Over the years across the full spectrum of different type cars and different CAI manufactures there have been complaints of hydro-lock in some cases. And most all consider water ingestion as they design their CAI’s.

It can occur when a large amount of water is forced into the intake while the car is moving forward. This doesn't happen from rain or car washes or most normal circumstances for most CAI's. The reason is most CAI's on most cars are not low enough. Or they are not completely plumbed and sealed all the way from the front of the car to the engine.

However there are conditions and configurations that could lead to hydro-lock. That is if a particular CAI is low enough to "scoop" a large amount of water when the car hits a puddle or gets submerged in water high enough to get sucked in.

One thing to look for in sorting this out is whether the CAI is claiming to be "ram air". This quality alone should lead one to investigate further because it by nature means the ducting to the engine must be as sealed as possible in order to have any chance of "forcing" pressurized air from the cars forward motion into the engine.

This brings me to C7’s. The 2 major CAI's we discuss most here are the AFE and the Halltech. Both draw air from the fenderwell area much the same as the factory intake does. So your chances of hydro-locking even in the worst conditions are on par with the risk of the factory intake hydro-locking. Which as far as I know hasn't happened on a C7 yet. I am sure snuffy has done it somewhere though.

The Halltech + TRIC is a "ram air" CAI and theoretically could be subject to hydro-locking. However the chances of it occurring are still fairly low. This is because even with the TRIC there are areas within the C7 fenderwell that are not completely sealed. Even if it where (which some of have taken the time to do) the conditions to force enough water into the front opening to hydro-lock the engine are rare and easily avoided.

Or said another way ….One would have to darn near intentionally run into a puddle or high water at speed to scoop enough water to hydro-lock a C7. Can it be done? Surely snuffy could do it but with any shred of care and common sense it is highly unlikely.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by ACS55
After installing the HT CAI, I too got a CEL. There are some warnings on the install instructions about attempting to start the car with the hood up, etc... I was not guilty of any of that.... After driving it for 2-3 drive cycles it went away and has not returned yet. I think the car just had to adjust to it-- that's my theory anyhow.
Now that you mention it, I recall starting the engine with the hood up immediately after installing the CAI. Apparently I missed the warning in the instructions. I had been blaming this on poor installation but now feel vindicated that it was actually the cars fault...kinda

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Glenn to answer your question about hydro-lock.

Over the years across the full spectrum of different type cars and different CAI manufactures there have been complaints of hydro-lock in some cases. And most all consider water ingestion as they design their CAI’s.

It can occur when a large amount of water is forced into the intake while the car is moving forward. This doesn't happen from rain or car washes or most normal circumstances for most CAI's. The reason is most CAI's on most cars are not low enough. Or they are not completely plumbed and sealed all the way from the front of the car to the engine.

However there are conditions and configurations that could lead to hydro-lock. That is if a particular CAI is low enough to "scoop" a large amount of water when the car hits a puddle or gets submerged in water high enough to get sucked in.

One thing to look for in sorting this out is whether the CAI is claiming to be "ram air". This quality alone should lead one to investigate further because it by nature means the ducting to the engine must be as sealed as possible in order to have any chance of "forcing" pressurized air from the cars forward motion into the engine.

This brings me to C7’s. The 2 major CAI's we discuss most here are the AFE and the Halltech. Both draw air from the fenderwell area much the same as the factory intake does. So your chances of hydro-locking even in the worst conditions are on par with the risk of the factory intake hydro-locking. Which as far as I know hasn't happened on a C7 yet. I am sure snuffy has done it somewhere though.

The Halltech + TRIC is a "ram air" CAI and theoretically could be subject to hydro-locking. However the chances of it occurring are still fairly low. This is because even with the TRIC there are areas within the C7 fenderwell that are not completely sealed. Even if it where (which some of have taken the time to do) the conditions to force enough water into the front opening to hydro-lock the engine are rare and easily avoided.

Or said another way ….One would have to darn near intentionally run into a puddle or high water at speed to scoop enough water to hydro-lock a C7. Can it be done? Surely snuffy could do it but with any shred of care and common sense it is highly unlikely.
Excellent explanation...thank you. I typically hand wash my cars, but sometimes when I'm too lazy (or when my 4 year old wants to 'help') I choose instead to run my cars through a 'trusted' touchless wash. Based on your description, I'm a little worried about getting water into even the factory intake. Am I better off leaving washing duties to my four year old?

Last edited by Glenn Quagmire; 11-29-2016 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 06:11 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

"Excellent explanation...thank you. I typically hand wash my cars, but sometimes when I'm too lazy (or when my 4 year old wants to 'help') I choose instead to run my cars through a 'trusted' touchless wash. Based on your description, I'm a little worried about getting water into even the factory intake. Am I better off leaving washing duties to my four year old?"

Glenn; I wouldn't hesitate to use the car wash even with a "ram air" system.

The volume of water required to cause problems are way beyond what you are going to see in a car wash spray. The other thing is the engine has to be under a pretty heavy load and demanding large amounts of air to create a suction strong enough to pull water all the way from the front brake duct when the car is hardly moving.

Now if the engine is under load when you completely submerge the intake duct and create a seal at the intake opening (like sitting in a 2 foot puddle) Or if you hit a puddle or bunch of water at more than 10 or 20mph and force it up the intake ducting then that's another story altogether.

I have had Ram air intakes on my C4,C5,C6 and C7s over the years and haven't had any complications from water ingestion.
Perhaps others can chime in with their experiences, but the few hyro-lock issues I have heard of over the years where a perfect storm of events combined with questionable judgment.

By the way that's a fine looking future Vette driver you have there!!

Last edited by dar02081961; 11-29-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Count me in as a skeptic on the 140mph prediction, but if you want to "loan" me a TRIC ram air unit for testing... I will gladly test it and report back on the results... in the same manner that I have done (and will continue to do) on the CAI.

Before the TRIC gets installed, I will be returning to Temple/Academy dragway with the current setup to dispel any possibilities that the different track may have been the reason for me to pickup 0.15 ET, and 5+mph (even in a much much worse DA).

"In God we trust, ALL OTHERS BRING DATA!"

Andy
Your wish is my command. On the way.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Halltech:
phantasms (11-29-2016), RobWilson (11-30-2016), tail_lights (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 07:29 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

This thread just got even better !!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:38 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

^Right!

Old 11-30-2016, 12:02 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Awesome Jim, that's great!
Old 11-30-2016, 12:52 PM
gonzala
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is a question or two I have while they are not the most important issues with a CAI in this thread, I know. I have read that this CAI has some MPH improvements for daily driving or track. Any info on that? Also, any significant sound differences that have been noted? Thanks!!
Old 11-30-2016, 01:27 PM
ACS55
Pro

Based on on my personal experience:
1. The sound difference is not very noticeable, but slightly more noise.
2. Performance gain of my car not "noticeable" on the street, but I RARELY drive on the street... And when I do I drive somewhat conservatively (on the street).
3. Track: (drag strip) My car went 5+ MPH faster after installing this CAI.. In the trap speed of the quarter mile. It also picked up 0.15 seconds in the quarter mile time (faster).

Andy

Originally Posted by gonzala
Here is a question or two I have while they are not the most important issues with a CAI in this thread, I know. I have read that this CAI has some MPH improvements for daily driving or track. Any info on that? Also, any significant sound differences that have been noted? Thanks!!
gonzala (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 01:36 PM
ACS55
Pro

Jim,
Your generosity is very much appreciated.
I am sure that the forum members would also like to see another independent, honest and well documented review and performance evaluation of the TRIC ram air system.
These types of evaluations and analysis procedures are how I improve my business as well-- I actually enjoy the process.
I am very much looking forward to installing, and testing the TRIC ram air unit in the very near future!

Andy

Old 11-30-2016, 05:53 PM
gonzala
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Based on on my personal experience:
1. The sound difference is not very noticeable, but slightly more noise.
2. Performance gain of my car not "noticeable" on the street, but I RARELY drive on the street... And when I do I drive somewhat conservatively (on the street).
3. Track: (drag strip) My car went 5+ MPH faster after installing this CAI.. In the trap speed of the quarter mile. It also picked up 0.15 seconds in the quarter mile time (faster).

Andy

Thanks Andy!!!
I just noticed that I typed incorrectly MPH when I meant MPG. I guess I shouldn't do this during lunch at work. Anyhow, has anyone with the CAI RZ seen their MPG increase or decrease with any magnitude during DD or track? I cant wait to install my RZ...waiting for the Sox I ordered? woohoo!!
Old 11-30-2016, 07:37 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

The OP is going to get his hands on the TRIC and back to the track. 140 mph? How many believers would there be? To run 135 mph @ 2000+ DA tells me that our TRIC, which provides ambient air temps at the IAT, and 12 PSI boost, we could see low 10s and 140 mph.

Our reward of $250 still stands for the first customer to run 9s with just our Stinger-RZ and TRIC. Drag radials and exhaust are ok, but no headers, tuning, or other power bolt-ons to qualify.
Jim,

I am huge fan of your products but the 140 mph and low consistent 10s (10.1, 10.2 or 10.3) is not going to happen as you reference above with just those mods and a 9.9x will never happen. Of course you might see a hero run of 10.3x or 10.2x in mine shaft air and perfect track conditions (and prep), but not consistently and that trap speed (140 mph, no way).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-01-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:53 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar jimmy
jim,

i am huge fan of your products but the 140 mph and 9.9x et is not going to happen as you reference above with just those mods.
mir.....

Last edited by 123sugey; 11-30-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:03 PM
ACS55
Pro

Default Thank you Jim!

Thank you Jim, I received the TRIC ram air system, and I will fulfill my obligation to evaluate it thoroughly and fairly.
Andy

The following 2 users liked this post by ACS55:
Is2scooby (12-02-2016), phantasms (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 04:21 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

It would be awesome to see some same day results with that thing on.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech CAI; Results & Review, stock 2016 C7 Z06 A8

Old 12-02-2016, 05:36 PM
ACS55
Pro

I am a little too old to do this install at the dragstrip on my back with a floor jack. I will document it well, as I have done the CAI.

Originally Posted by CFHay
It would be awesome to see some same day results with that thing on.
Is2scooby (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 08:21 PM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

I am a little too old to do this install at the dragstrip on my back with a floor jack. I will document it well, as I have done the CAI.

What drag strip you going to?

Last edited by h3mpking; 12-02-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:04 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

Haha I know the feeling. I've got a set of hoosier slicks for the Z06 but I'm too lazy to haul them 120miles to the track and change them there. So going to just race on the factory tires. And buy a set of drag radials that I can drive on like Nitto 555Rs or something for next time.

Quick Reply: Halltech CAI; Results & Review, stock 2016 C7 Z06 A8