C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Are these new photos the ZR1 or a "Z06X"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 11:47 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

Default Are these new photos the ZR1 or a "Z06X"?

Many of my latest threads have been pretty intense - so here's something light...

I personally believe that the ZR1 will be saved for the mid engine car.
GM did mention the possibility of creating a "Z06X" - ACR-like version of the C7 Z06.

With all the issues and lack of NBR laptimes etc - is it possible that these are what is in the spy pictures we are seeing?

It DOES look like there is a bigger hood bulge - so likely a 2.3 SC - but all that aero isn't what the ZR1 is known for - it has always been more of an all round GT car (with the Z06 as the track car).

Of course the car could be the ZR1 - thoughts?

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/28/2...spy-shots-z07/

Last edited by vtknight; 11-29-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:49 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

There are currently plenty open threads on this topic. Fyi.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:52 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

The rumors of a ZR1 debuting (these came before these spy pics) at Detroit in January and trademark filings point towards a ZR1 but the formula of this particular car goes with the Z06X so who knows. It's still a mule but I wonder if the fenders will change aside from it looking to have molded flares.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:53 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by JackTripper
There are currently plenty open threads on this topic. Fyi.
I know - but most are discussing what the new car may have versus what it is...I don't think many are questioning whether this is in fact the ZR1.

My point is that the Z06 is usually the track specific car - which is why I believe this may be a Z06 ACR-like variant.

The ZR1 has always been more the GT car - although highly capable (and ultimately faster than the Z06).

Originally Posted by CFHay
The rumors of a ZR1 debuting (these came before these spy pics) at Detroit in January and trademark filings point towards a ZR1 but the formula of this particular car goes with the Z06X so who knows. It's still a mule but I wonder if the fenders will change aside from it looking to have molded flares.
Molded flares would be a nice addition.

I'm interested in that front end and whether GM has made it compatible with the Z06...

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-01-2016 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-30-2016, 12:22 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Chevy did trademark L88 a short time ago... Except the L88 was more of a drag racer, but who knows.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:47 AM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by four0nefive
Chevy did trademark L88 a short time ago... Except the L88 was more of a drag racer, but who knows.
This goes back to my point of the extreme look of the car - huge wing like the ACR. I know they are saying this could be like the "Z07" package - but it just looks more like an ACR challenger than a ZR1. Then again - the ZR1 did compete with the Viper. I still believe the ZR1 is supposed to be more the GT car - very GT350 to GT500 - and Z06 to ZR1...
Old 11-30-2016, 01:32 AM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by vtknight
Molded flares would be a nice addition.

I'm interested in that front end and whether GM has made it compatible with the Z06...
I'd be surprised if the fenders didn't bolt on but I'd assume the cooling setup behind the new bumper would interfere with the 15-17 cars current configuration.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:38 AM
vtknight
Drifting

I'd be surprised if the fenders didn't bolt on but I'd assume the cooling setup behind the new bumper would interfere with the 15-17 cars current configuration.
I am sure we are all going to watch the testing/reviews closely. If its a better setup - which I am sure it is as the underhood circulation is a disaster on the C7 Z06 - maybe its worth a swap.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:57 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I don't see the camo's car having the same formula as the Z06X(I'm assuming you are referring to the C6 Z06X concept car).

The C6 Z06X could not meet federal safety crash requirements, thus it could only be sold with a serial number instead of a VIN(and not be able to be licensed for the street) if GM had brought the concept car to market.

GM is not going to make a ultra low volume Z06X like they do with the COPO Camaro.

They might bring a variation of the Z06 to market that has more horsepower, downforce, etc(that the spy photos' indicate) and call it a ZR1(or a Zero, or a Zora). But it will meet all federal regulations and have a VIN.

The cars in the spy photos do appear to have a wider front fascia thus it stands to reason that new front fenders are required, and GM has wisely decided to have them with full flares(that have some design sophistication) instead of the Jeep/truck styled black plastic fender extensions(AKA spats). It also looks as if GM is toning down the C7's hood with it's JC Whitney Boy Racer looking hood vent, and has actually designed a good looking vent that has some design sophistication.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-30-2016 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:30 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

If indeed there is a mid engine car in the near future for the Corvette line, why would they invest in a ZR for such a short time?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:31 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
If indeed there is a mid engine car in the near future for the Corvette line, why would they invest in a ZR for such a short time?
Perhaps a last hurrah - last big hp (biggest) hp front engine rear drive Corvette before the mid-engine (Zora?) and the mid-engine C8?

I dunno - just guessing.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:51 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Good question.
Perhaps it will be awhile before the ME.
If that turns out to be the case, GM will have spent a helluva long period of time hinting about a Corvette mid-engine car (which would be silly IMO).

Last edited by sunsalem; 11-30-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:20 AM
TRT SR
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 102 Posts

OnPoint, think you are on point! Big HP large engines are soon going away like they did in the 60's/70's. This car whatever its going to be called is the last of the big monsters in my opinion. The mid engine car will follow other super cars, Mclaren for example that makes do very well with a small V8 under 3.0l with twin turbos. GM knows how to do turbos on small motors and they must meet the high MPGs that are looming on the horizon......Enjoy our engines now, won't be around long.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:27 AM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't see the camo's car having the same formula as the Z06X(I'm assuming you are referring to the C6 Z06X concept car).

The C6 Z06X could not meet federal safety crash requirements, thus it could've be sold with a serial number instead of a VIN(and not be able to be licensed for the street) if GM had brought the concepts car to market.

GM is not going to make a ultra low volume Z06X like they do with the COPO Camaro.

They might bring a variation of the Z06 to market that has more horsepower, downforce, etc(that the spy photos' indicate) and call it a ZR1(or a Zero, or a Zora). But it will meet all federal regulations and have a VIN.

The cars in the spy photos do appear to have a wider front fascia thus it stands to reason that new front fenders are required, and GM has wisely decided to have them with full flares(that have some design sophistication) instead of the Jeep/truck styled black plastic fender extensions(AKA spats). It also looks as if GM is toning down the C7's hood with it's JC Whitney Boy Racer looking hood vent, and has actually designed a good looking vent that has some design sophistication.
im not talking about the C6 Z06X. GM spoke about (possibly) doing a Z06X for the C7. With the success of the ACR and the lack of track accolades for the C7 Z06 - I wondered whether this could be GM's ACR answer...

The camo pics look ACR track-focused - and again - ZR1's have typically been GT cars - extremely capable GT cars - but not overly track focused (that was what the Z06 was for - at least originally).

So I wonder if this is a track focused C7Z06 variant versus a ZR1.

Last edited by vtknight; 11-30-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Lets not forget we've also seen convertible test mules so I doubt this is exclusively a track focused model.
The following users liked this post:
Movie Muscle (12-01-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 12:28 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Because "invest" might be a new front fascia and wing. That's nothing for GM. Unless it's got a new motor, and it may not, there's not that much cost involved.

If this is just a Z track pack, it could be entirely aero.

I've not seen the convertible version, that is a bit of a conundrum with a wing!

Last edited by davepl; 11-30-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:29 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by vtknight
im not talking about the C6 Z06X. GM spoke about (possibly) doing a Z06X for the C7. With the success of the ACR and the lack of track accolades for the C7 Z06 - I wondered whether this could be GM's ACR answer...

The camo pics look ACR track-focused - and again - ZR1's have typically been GT cars - extremely capable GT cars - but not overly track focused (that was what the Z06 was for - at least originally).

So I wonder if this is a track focused C7Z06 variant versus a ZR1.
I wouldn't put too much weight on the ZR1 name being linked to a GT type of car. Up until the C7 the Z06 was a N/A track car, only to be given a blower and basically made into a ZR1 like car (mag ride, blower with lots of power, etc).

Get notified of new replies

To Are these new photos the ZR1 or a "Z06X"?

Old 11-30-2016, 03:48 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Lets not forget we've also seen convertible test mules so I doubt this is exclusively a track focused model.
You bring up a good point.
The following users liked this post:
Movie Muscle (12-01-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:23 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
I wouldn't put too much weight on the ZR1 name being linked to a GT type of car. Up until the C7 the Z06 was a N/A track car, only to be given a blower and basically made into a ZR1 like car (mag ride, blower with lots of power, etc).
I agree - I still believe this is a C7 Z06 variant. If the extra hood bulge does hide a larger SC - then the chances for a ZR1 are increased as I don't see an engine change if it's still a C7 Z06 variant.

It simply seems like this is the ACR response from GM. Very track focused.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
They used the L88 in both road course cars and drag racers. There were even a few Yenko built 66 coupes that had an early version of the L88 and were road raced in the Northeast. This was back in the day when people actually drove their cars to the road course, raced them and then drove them home.

Bill

Quick Reply: Are these new photos the ZR1 or a "Z06X"?