C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2016 Z06 M7 Review - rambling

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 02:38 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Default 2016 Z06 M7 Review - rambling

Coming up on 6k miles.

General rambling - I probably missed something. Glad I bought the Z06 instead of the Z51. I would have been putting mods by now. The Z06 is good to go a is for me.

2016 Z06 M7 2LZ
Stage 1
NAV
PDR
Color Top
Gloss Black Wheels

General ramblings:

Overall - the best car I have ever owned.

Shifter “notchy" when new - more like new and stiff. After around 2500-3000 miles it is much better.

Side Mirrors - Blind spot is a must on this car in heavy city traffic. Yeah, I know about setting your mirrors, etc. In city traffic - it would be nice.

Apple car is nice - wish Waze would make their app Car Play compatible.

Brakes are excellent

Brake dust is controllable - black wheels have to make it less apparent.

Fuel filler was jacked totally from new had to fill very slowly. — getting better - the upside down fuel nozzle seems to have helped get the anti-siphon valve into a better position.

Car is fast and smooth.

Rev match is awesome - I know how to heel toe, but man this system is sweet.

Hillstart is kinda cool - holds the brakes while you get the clutch out. Would be nice if the delay was adjustable.

Speaking of engagement - the engagement is short and quick. it is easy to stall this car. Much more so than my C4 & C5.

Dash configurations - is amazing - I like the track mode the best and have locked it to that mode.

The gear indicator is something I thought was cool fro video games but it is a nice touch and is actually useful. This car has such a wide range - you can forget what gear you are in especially if the exhaust is in quiet mode.

HUD is nice - bright, crisp, configurable.

The exhaust modes is nothing short of stellar. This single feature essentially gives you multiple cars. My C4 ZR-1 sounds like a race car at all times (even when you don't want it to). The Z06 I can have fun with loud exhaust and then dial it down so I can take conference calls via Car Play.

Battery tender port is nice - no wondering if you have it wired right, don't have to open the hood. Some people say they would rather wire one in under the hood. Whatever - been there, done that. This one works fine and is from the factory. Turn key battery tender - no brainer option.

Next GM should put a spot to power radar detectors that is up next to the mirror.

Memory seats seem brain dead - half the time it doesn’t work. Sound like maybe it is the seat back sensor or something. If I bring the seat back forward a tad and then hit the memory setting it works.

Memory mirrors - not that great. I seem to have to set them often.

I am debating turning the easy exit feature off so I don't have to mess with the memory stuff as often.

Fit n finish good. I see the post and some of them are pretty ugly about paint quality. I may have gotten lucky or maybe I am not as picky - I think I got a good one.

Splash guards - the car should come with some upgraded ones. I bought the larger GM fender lip moldings right after I got it home - big difference.

Leather is high quality - I think it will wear well.

I have the standard seats. At times the seat back bugs my upper middle back. I am not the smallest guy but I actually think the competition seats feel better even if you aren’t some little skinny thing.

Steering wheel - the D steering wheel is nice. Nice reference for bottom and more room when driving.

Front cameras is awesome - I wish I had figured out how to run it better before i scuffed my front spoiler. I have a new one waiting to go on but oh well. One trick I use is instead of trying to find the camera mode on the stereo - put the car in reverse and then back to forward - the front camera comes on automatically.

No side skirts - fine with me - I am sure I would be stepping on them, hitting my heels, etc. Then again I might love them. I don't have them, so I don't miss them. I guess they are standard now so I probably have a “rare” Z06.

Fuel economy good

Great daily driver - even in traffic.

PDR is really cool.

NO DVR on radio sucks - I want to be able to fast forward thru commercials or rewind things. Why cant they throw some flash memory in there and give me at least 30 minutes of buffer. My Ram 3500 has it and my CTS-V. They missed the boat on that one.

USB ports - everywhere - nice.

Storage behind stereo face is nice.

Wipers - work great. People might joke but that wasn’t always the case.

Weather mode - unbelievable - it is really handy in rain.

Rear storage - plenty of space.

I put weather tech floor mats and a rear cargo area mat in it - super nice, great fit, easy to clean.

Front license plate - I run a front plate. I wish I did not have to but when you get pulled over enough times you will too. The factory front mounting options work. I think it is better than the C4 & C5 for sure.

You will notice I don't mention C6. I really don't have any seat time in C6s. C4 and C5 I have over 250K miles or more. I suspect I will be putting a lot of miles on the C7 Z06. I like the car enough I already sold my C5 Z06 and the 94 ZR-1 will be up for sale soon.

Picked up a transparent top. It is great for non-summer time.

Head room - could use some more headroom. Transparent top helps.

Top comes off easy, is light, stows easily.

The pluses:
Exhaust
Speed
Flexiblity - different modes, etc.
Speed
Apple Car play
Lots of USB ports
Front camera
heat/cooled seats

The minuses:
Fuel Filler is hosed up.
Blind Spots
Needs more headroom - transparent top helps.
Memory seats/mirror is not great.

Wish List:
Blind Sport Mirrors.
DVR for the radio
Radar detector power port by the rear view mirror.
The following 5 users liked this post by ZR-1DUDE:
bills02 (12-06-2016), Blvdbrawler (12-07-2016), cyi1 (12-06-2016), silver74vette (12-06-2016), SterlingDrive (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 02:48 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Very nice write up, this is exactly why I come to the forum.

Thanks, Chris
The following users liked this post:
ZR-1DUDE (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 02:57 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

The auto memory seat recall doesn't work consistently when you start the car unless the parking brake is set. I'm not sure if that is the issue you are describing. Mine always works if I hold the button down. FWIW, my seat is all the way back and all the way down (I'm 6'2"). I have no issues using Easy Exit as it doesn't change my mirrors or my seat position. My exit seat position is set to where I drive (all the way back, all the way down). Easy Exit just raises the wheel for me.

Wiring a radar detector to your mirror is simple. I did it for free using an old black phone cord I had sitting in a box in my garage. See **HERE**

The 2017 cars do not come standard with the full length side skirts.

I think CarPlay sucks

I charge my battery using connections under the hood

You can add the camera icon to list of small icons at the top of the radio unit. You can also move it's position on the home screen. Personally, I hit home, then I hit the camera icon.
SterlingDrive (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Good write up, have you tried the heated seats yet? They are a lot better than the ones we had in our C7 stingray, but still are not the greatest. Sort of a nit picking point I guess, but I do like heated seats for my boney buns! We have about 600 miles on ours now, but the weather has garaged it for awhile. Overall a great car, and the power is awesome!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I find the memory seat and mirror system works pretty good. The system does need the parking brake set and if I use easy exit the seat will run forward to my driving position as soon as the car starts. However, if I use the button on the seat to run the seat back and get it up against the sensor in the rear then I have to move the seat forward a little bit before the memory function will work. One problem I do have with the system is it is difficult to change the memory once set. It took me three or four tries to get it to take a different setting than I had been using.

The side mirror blind spot is really a problem. I have quickly gotten into the habit of turning my head to the left every time I want to switch lanes to the left. Just using the mirror alone isn't enough. I never had as much of an issue with my C5s and C6.

Bill
Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

The side mirror blind spot is really a problem. I have quickly gotten into the habit of turning my head to the left every time I want to switch lanes to the left. Just using the mirror alone isn't enough. I never had as much of an issue with my C5s and C6.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Get one of the little convex stick on mirrors, they do help.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kyflyer:
SterlingDrive (12-07-2016), ZR-1DUDE (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Good review....I concur with most of the points...I have had 2 7M 2016 Z's and there is some consistency. Later 2016's had some different software than earlier ones (Android Auto, 0-60 timer that works, etc) ....I guess you can get updates from the dealer.

Regarding the fuel fill, my local BP station has the asphalt at a slight incline w/r/t level. When the car is parked for fueling such that the passenger's side is higher than the driver's side, it is practically impossible to get fuel into the tank without the shutoff constantly triggering. When I swing the car around to the other side so that the driver's side is higher than the passenger's side, I can fill the tank quickly, just like any other car.

Brake dust with the stock pads is typical for GM performance cars. I use armorall brake dust repellent with good results. Will replace the pads one of these days......
I am not a fan of the Nav system or the soundsystem....but that's not what sold me on the car so I won't complain.

The heated seats work fine for me. Not as hot nor as quick as the ones on my 2009 Suburban, but good enough......

Last edited by 6104696; 12-06-2016 at 04:01 PM.
ZR-1DUDE (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 6104696

Brake dust with the stock pads is typical for GM performance cars. I use armorall brake dust repellent with good results.
Thanks I wasn't aware that Amorall had brake dust repellent, I will give it a try!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree 100% with your review. I'm 6'1 and wish head room was like my c6z. This car is crazy but puts a smile on my face every drive.

My seat memory sucks too. I think it's cause the seat is all the way down and back, so it messes with the sensors. Oh well

Last edited by Dfwz06; 12-06-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:49 PM
mtaylor
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfwz06
I agree 100% with your review. I'm 6'1 and wish head room was like my c6z. This car is crazy but puts a smile on my face every drive.

My seat memory sucks too. I think it's cause the seat is all the way down and back, so it messes with the sensors. Oh well
Any recommendations on seating, I test drove a stingray and ordered a z06, the only real thing I didn't like as was the roofline and seeing stop lights.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:58 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The secret to setting Memory 1, 2 and Easy Exit is to go in Settings and turn off the Memory Seat Function. Then set Memory 1 for its FOB, Memory 2 for its FOB and where you want Easy Exit to go. But in that setting if you want it all the way back move it there but before you set it move it forward part of an inch again. Then set. Now go back into settings and turn on Memory Function.

I know, but if you really carefully read the manual and then realize they left out a sentence about doing the setting with it off, you will understand.
The following 2 users liked this post by pkincy:
SterlingDrive (12-07-2016), ZR-1DUDE (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbartick
The auto memory seat recall doesn't work consistently when you start the car unless the parking brake is set. I'm not sure if that is the issue you are describing. Mine always works if I hold the button down. FWIW, my seat is all the way back and all the way down (I'm 6'2"). I have no issues using Easy Exit as it doesn't change my mirrors or my seat position. My exit seat position is set to where I drive (all the way back, all the way down). Easy Exit just raises the wheel for me.

----

With a M7 I always have the parking brake on at start.

Wiring a radar detector to your mirror is simple. I did it for free using an old black phone cord I had sitting in a box in my garage. See **HERE**
----

I did a mirror tap, but still why not have a pigtail up there?

The 2017 cars do not come standard with the full length side skirts.
----

I thought the Z06 started that in late later 2016 production and the 2017. I may be mistaken.

I think CarPlay sucks
----

Are you using an iPhone or android. With an iPhone I think it is pretty slick.

I charge my battery using connections under the hood
-----

All good - I figure why have to open the hood when it is factory in the trunk.

You can add the camera icon to list of small icons at the top of the radio unit. You can also move it's position on the home screen. Personally, I hit home, then I hit the camera icon.
I did move the icon but with the way I do it I don't have to take my hand off the shifter. Come to s stop - into the reverse then back to 1st - comes right on. I could see how with an auto that could be a pain so the screen method is probably better.

D.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:50 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
Good write up, have you tried the heated seats yet? They are a lot better than the ones we had in our C7 stingray, but still are not the greatest. Sort of a nit picking point I guess, but I do like heated seats for my boney buns! We have about 600 miles on ours now, but the weather has garaged it for awhile. Overall a great car, and the power is awesome!
Heated seats work good. I cant leave them on high very long.

D.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:52 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I find the memory seat and mirror system works pretty good. The system does need the parking brake set and if I use easy exit the seat will run forward to my driving position as soon as the car starts. However, if I use the button on the seat to run the seat back and get it up against the sensor in the rear then I have to move the seat forward a little bit before the memory function will work. One problem I do have with the system is it is difficult to change the memory once set. It took me three or four tries to get it to take a different setting than I had been using.

Bill
I just had the recent airbag flash done with an oil change. So I turned off easy exit I will see if that works better for me.

On the set - just push tap the set buttons then the position you want to hold. For me the less I think about it the better it works.

Car should have blind spot sensors.

D.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by 6104696
Good review....I concur with most of the points...I have had 2 7M 2016 Z's and there is some consistency. Later 2016's had some different software than earlier ones (Android Auto, 0-60 timer that works, etc) ....I guess you can get updates from the dealer.

Regarding the fuel fill, my local BP station has the asphalt at a slight incline w/r/t level. When the car is parked for fueling such that the passenger's side is higher than the driver's side, it is practically impossible to get fuel into the tank without the shutoff constantly triggering. When I swing the car around to the other side so that the driver's side is higher than the passenger's side, I can fill the tank quickly, just like any other car.

I'll try the slope thing. I took my Z06 in for service today and they gave me a brand new Z71 to drive. Took the sticker off in front of me. I put some gas in it - same problem. The drivers side was lower. I'll pay attention to that and see what happens.

Brake dust with the stock pads is typical for GM performance cars. I use armorall brake dust repellent with good results. Will replace the pads one of these days......
I am not a fan of the Nav system or the soundsystem....but that's not what sold me on the car so I won't complain.

The heated seats work fine for me. Not as hot nor as quick as the ones on my 2009 Suburban, but good enough......

I think the brake dust is totally acceptable. My C5 Z06 would trash the wheels pulling out of the wash bay.

D.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:56 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dfwz06

I don't have any real C6 seats time. The only performance car I had that headroom wasn't a problem was my 2001 911 Turbo. You could wear a cowboy hat in that thing.

I turned the easy exit off. Heck as tall as I am - it doesn't go back much at all anyway.

D.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:56 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by pkincy
The secret to setting Memory 1, 2 and Easy Exit is to go in Settings and turn off the Memory Seat Function. Then set Memory 1 for its FOB, Memory 2 for its FOB and where you want Easy Exit to go. But in that setting if you want it all the way back move it there but before you set it move it forward part of an inch again. Then set. Now go back into settings and turn on Memory Function.

I know, but if you really carefully read the manual and then realize they left out a sentence about doing the setting with it off, you will understand.
Wow - that is an interesting point. Like setting the stops essentially on it.

D.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Z06 M7 Review - rambling

Old 12-06-2016, 10:58 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by mtaylor
Any recommendations on seating, I test drove a stingray and ordered a z06, the only real thing I didn't like as was the roofline and seeing stop lights.
On what seats to order?

I have the standard seats but if I had to do it over I think I would get the competition seats.

Transparent top helps with the stop lights. Like in Ft Worth they are so high - you cant see them with the solid top on. Transparent top - no problem. Also - it gives you more head room.

D.
SterlingDrive (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 11:00 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kyflyer

Bill
Get one of the little convex stick on mirrors, they do help.[/QUOTE]

Do you have them?

Where did you place them?

I might just order some off amazon tonight to try.

D.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:35 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
I did move the icon but with the way I do it I don't have to take my hand off the shifter. Come to s stop - into the reverse then back to 1st - comes right on. I could see how with an auto that could be a pain so the screen method is probably better.
I also have an M7 but I still find it more convenient to just hit the camera icon on the screen. Whatever works for you.

Quick Reply: 2016 Z06 M7 Review - rambling