C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2017 Z06 supercharger lid installed on 2016 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 12:10 AM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested as well. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:15 AM
big bollas
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I will start a new post soon and have all the details and pics.
The following users liked this post:
360Lemans (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:35 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How did you get the intercooler bricks separately from a supercharger body? Did they just bolt in or was there some massaging that had to take place? I am interested in doing this. Not to gain power but to reduce misfires and other problems that cause a drop off in engine power during long periods of wide open throttle high rpm operation on a track.

Bill
Bill,
After all the posts you are finally admitting loss of engine power / misfire / and other problems on track??? Oh so your not contemplating replacing the bricks for power gain, just to gain back the power you lost.

Your Welcome
Marc

Last edited by 360Lemans; 12-06-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:51 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by big bollas
Thanks!! This will definitely increase power with changing out the bricks and new 2017 lid. I was not a fan of just changing out the lid, no gain in performance.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:51 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
Bill,
After all the posts you are finally admitting loss of engine power / misfire / and other problems on track??? Oh so your not contemplating replacing the bricks for power gain, just to gain back the power you lost.

Your Welcome
Marc
My guess he is not saying anything of the kind. He probably thinks that like a lot of us with pre 2017 cars that if a used set of these HE's can be picked up reasonably why not opt for a little more safety margin. My experience here Bill is a straight up guy who shares his track experience freely.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Bill,

Your Welcome
Marc
Marc,
It seems to have stopped the misfiring I was getting once I made sure almost all of the air was out of the intercooler system. Now I don't see the 10-12 mph drop off in top speed that I was getting with the misfiring. What I see now is about 5 or 6 mph drop off in speed from the best early run of the day to the last run of the day. I was thinking if I could bring the intercooler bricks up to the same level as the 17 and newer cars it would help bring that drop off under control. However, I am not going to spend $4K to do that. If there is no low cost way forward I will just run what I have.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-07-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:52 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Marc,
It seems to have stopped the misfiring I was getting once I made sure almost all of the air was out of the intercooler system. Now I don't see the 10-12 mph drop off in top speed that I was getting with the misfiring. What I see now is about 5 or 6 mph drop off in speed from the best early run of the day to the last run of the day. I was thinking if I could bring the intercooler bricks up to the same level as the 17 and newer cars it would help bring that drop off under control. However, I am not going to spend $4K to do that. If there is no low cost way forward I will just run what I have.

Bill
Bill
I hear you!! If I hade the M7 like you I would look into the 2017 larger bricks and lid. Living in N.C. you probably can get by with just that mod especially if your looking at controlling the loss of power toward the end of your run. You are running 2:07 VIR full course! that's pushing your Z06 very close to the limits of extremely high IAT. Looking at your times you will eventually have to go with larger front supercharger heat exchanger and the 2017 upgrade at the least.
Yes $4k Sucks but The LG Motorsports Super Cool Track Package is the bomb!! I ran two sessions VIR Full back to back and all day long with no power loss or limp mode at all. If you remember I could only get 3 to 4 laps before limp mode last year with my A8 Z07. What I was not expecting with the upgrade was improved fuel mileage on track, yep less trips to VIR tanks!!. I did not know my Z was pulling as much timing and fuel with the High IAT temps. Also this upgrade removing the heat exchanger from the front of radiator and helped with lower coolant temps. If you change your mind the LG upgrade is on sale now for $3,506. I will even make a trip down to Charlotte and help you with the install.

BTW I'm glad you finally cured the misfiring problem, I know that was frustrating for you. You know I have to harass you just a little, your my nemesis LOL. So don't ever take my post's personal it's all fun.
Marc
Old 12-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Bill
I hear you!! If I hade the M7 like you I would look into the 2017 larger bricks and lid. Living in N.C. you probably can get by with just that mod especially if your looking at controlling the loss of power toward the end of your run. You are running 2:07 VIR full course! that's pushing your Z06 very close to the limits of extremely high IAT. Looking at your times you will eventually have to go with larger front supercharger heat exchanger and the 2017 upgrade at the least.
Yes $4k Sucks but The LG Motorsports Super Cool Track Package is the bomb!! I ran two sessions VIR Full back to back and all day long with no power loss or limp mode at all. If you remember I could only get 3 to 4 laps before limp mode last year with my A8 Z07. What I was not expecting with the upgrade was improved fuel mileage on track, yep less trips to VIR tanks!!. I did not know my Z was pulling as much timing and fuel with the High IAT temps. Also this upgrade removing the heat exchanger from the front of radiator and helped with lower coolant temps. If you change your mind the LG upgrade is on sale now for $3,506. I will even make a trip down to Charlotte and help you with the install.

BTW I'm glad you finally cured the misfiring problem, I know that was frustrating for you. You know I have to harass you just a little, your my nemesis LOL. So don't ever take my post's personal it's all fun.
Marc
I have actually recorded a couple of 2:03 laps along with a bunch of 2:04s and 2:05s. Funny thing is I got the 2:03 laps when the engine was noticeably misfiring (instead of just feeling loggy I could feel it buck a little) on the back straight. One thing I have been thinking about is adding a G Speed Cheek cooler (with fan) behind the front fascia on the passenger side for some additional intercooler cooling without touching the supercharger at all. I have traded a couple of messages with G Speed and it might provide a better way to get the intake charge temps down on the two rear cylinders by just dropping the intercooler temps a few more degrees. Even on the hottest days I have run my engine coolant and oil temps are running about 35 degrees lower than the overheat temps that put a car into limp home mode.

Bill
360Lemans (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:43 PM
Z06Brucey
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you have to retune for this larger lid if one already has a custom tune?
Old 12-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Z06Brucey
Do you have to retune for this larger lid if one already has a custom tune?
The taller lid in of itself doesn't do anything so you shouldn't need to retune. Even if you install the 17 bricks inside the S/C you shouldn't need to retune,

Bill
jstewart (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Z06Brucey
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The taller lid in of itself doesn't do anything so you shouldn't need to retune. Even if you install the 17 bricks inside the S/C you shouldn't need to retune,

Bill
Thanks!
Old 05-30-2019, 07:03 AM
Patastic
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by big bollas

i guess this never got done, was hoping to see procedure
Old 11-27-2021, 09:49 AM
Harleyryder02
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lid

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06
$574 on Trunk Monkey. That's where I got mine.

http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/oe-gm/12670730
gone up considerably, probably because all 15 & 16 owners want to upgrade. Sad they do that. Supply and demand I guess. Not true Vette enthusiasm

Quick Reply: 2017 Z06 supercharger lid installed on 2016 Z06