C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Viper vs. Vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 12:19 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
GM needs to seriously upgrade its color pallet when the new paint shop comes on line.
You got that right!!!!!
Old 12-20-2016, 12:52 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by gymdoc
If they only made a convertible gen5..
A major screw-up that helped kill the car...as well as the lack of an auto.
Had there been one, it would be in my garage right now.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
CONGRATS OP I am glad that your love you new sweet looking C7 Z and hope you enjoy it in good health!

I did the exact opposite of you and recently bought a 2010 Snakeskin Green ACR, with black tapered stripes in front, 1 of only 4 made, and I could not be happier with this bad azz machine, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!! After the A8 trans. on my 2016 Corvette Z06 had a catastrophic failure and was replaced with a brand new trans., I lost confidence in the C7 Z and traded it for my new Viper. I have to admit compared to the Viper that C7 Z was also boring with the auto A8 trans. M7 is the trans. to get in C7 Z, makes driving SO MUCH funner and less likely to fail!

Don't get me wrong the C7 Z is an awesome looking, super fast, corvette super car, but I just prefer the much more exotic, super rare, in your face, Gen IV Viper ACR, that has ZERO nanny controls. I also like considerably more the Gen IV Viper over the Gen V Vipers b/c the exterior styling on the Gen V Viper is way less aggressive looking (to me) than the exterior body lines of the Gen IV and the Gen V has all the nannies (which I don't like).

This is my second Gen IV Viper as I traded in a 2009 VOI Viper Coupe for the C7 Z06 (big mistake) but everything happens for a reason, as that ultimately led to me getting behind the wheel of my ALL TIME favorite Viper, the 2010 Snakeskin Green ACR that I just bought! The car I bought was PERFECTLY modded by Viper Guru Dan Cragin current owner of Specialty Performance. I am a hardcore go fast guy and my new baby is a complete animal with the following go fast mods. with ZERO nanny controls that has been perfectly modified by Viper Guru Dan Cragin.

1. Belanger Headers and High Flow Cats.
2. Ported and Polished Cylinder Heads
3. Ported Intake Manifold
4. Ram Air Carbon Fiber Kit with K&N Filter
5. Mopar Performance Computer
6. Last but not least rear end ratio upgraded from stock 3.07 to 3.73 gears (simply outrageous).
7. Another great bonus is car was upgraded to an awesome Alpine Stereo system with kick azz speakers and blue tooth which sounds incredible (when I am not just listening to that V 10 engine purring).

This car is a complete beast and incredible looking, puts a HUGE smile on my face whenever I drive it, love it way more than my 2016 C7 Z06 with the A8 trans. (which was boring to drive versus my new to me 2010 Viper ACR.

Now only if it wasant December in the suburbs of Chicago with 7 inches of fresh snow on the ground with sub-zero temps.

Just 3.5 months though until April 1st when the Snakeskin Green Venom Machine will be back out hunting on a full time basis!

Didn't know that was supposed to be a rare color combo. My neighbor has the same combo on his viper
Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Jimmy,

Congrats - great color. Enjoy and be safe.

GM needs to seriously upgrade its color pallet when the new paint shop comes on line.
Thank you my friend!
Old 12-20-2016, 03:38 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Congrats on the Viper Jimmy..

I also love Vipers. If it wasnt for the impending doom of Vipers next year, I was seriously contemplating buying a 2016 GT earlier this year. Bolt ons/tuning/e85 and they'll kill lightly modded C7Zs on the highway. I just didnt want to worry about parts availabilty after they stop production... (I just went through that crap with my wife's G8 we bought new, traded it for a 16' 2SS camaro).

There is definitely an "exotic" air about them.
The following users liked this post:
Mopar Jimmy (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 05:14 PM
rw99
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll stop by this thread to say I'm a Viper troll that's here soaking in all the great Z06 info... might close the deal on one today, with the intent of daily driving the crap out of it

I'm surprised at how much the C7's looks have grown on me, particularly in the Z06/Z07 trim. And the true kicker is the VALUE... typically 20% off new 2016 Z06s right now. If there were more Gen V Vipers around with really low miles, I might've gone after one... but I do like a flappy-paddle auto for daily driving and other elements of the C7 (e.g. HUD, front camera, CarPlay) are preferable to the Viper.

That said, I don't think I'll ever part ways with my Gen IV ACR. It's my track buddy and it'd be hard to let it go even if I had a big bag o'money to spend on a brand new ACR. And like Mopar Jimmy said: I kinda like knowing that there's no stability or traction control helping me drive my Viper.

We love the rarity of the car, but that also means that we've had to watch the Viper die a couple of times since '92. Unfortunately, I think we've reached a final end of the road: while there may be a car in the future that bears the Viper nameplate, it won't be a big honkin' NA V10 under the hood

Rich

Old 12-20-2016, 06:21 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

RW99,

Very very nice, looks like a 2009 to me in of course snakeskin green with a black top and one big black solid stripe running down the hood and deck lid of the car?

The ONE thing I miss that the Viper does not have it he HUD.

You will enjoy the C7 Z for a daily driver its a great car and great value as you point out!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-20-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:31 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Beach
Didn't know that was supposed to be a rare color combo. My neighbor has the same combo on his viper
What year is your nieghbors a 2009 or 2010?

In 2010, only 4 Snakeskin Green ACR were made with the factory black tapered stripes shown on mine. 1 was wrecked on a race track and the I just located a guy in San Diego who has the 1 also (so there is 1 out there somewhere in addition to mine).

I bet your neighbors is a 2008 or 2009 ACR and if its a 2010 with my same exact tapered stripes then we just located the last one that has to be running around somewhere.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-20-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:27 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

I've had two of them and loved them both, got lots of stares, smiles and compliments thrown at them. But, I do believe my '016 Z06 M7 is a better car, all the way around....performance, ride, build quality, the whole deal. The only thing the newest Viper has my Z06 beat in is resale value...if you have the financial strength and can find a Generation V, buy it and throw it into storage....it will be an excellent investment within the next decade.
Mopar Jimmy (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 08:27 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
I did the exact opposite of you and recently bought a 2010 Snakeskin Green ACR, with black tapered stripes in front, 1 of only 4 made, and I could not be happier with this bad azz machine, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!
Wow, that car is awesome! Best of luck with it. I tried to do a 2016 Viper GTC 1 of 1 build before I ordered my C7Z but unfortunately the Viper's cost exceeded my budget. Deals were hard to find.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rbartick
Wow, that car is awesome! Best of luck with it. I tried to do a 2016 Viper GTC 1 of 1 build before I ordered my C7Z but unfortunately the Viper's cost exceeded my budget. Deals were hard to find.
Thank you my friend.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:51 PM
upcharger
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

My two favorite cars that are reasonably affordable. Both are bad to the bone!
Mopar Jimmy (12-21-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by rw99
I'll stop by this thread to say I'm a Viper troll that's here soaking in all the great Z06 info... might close the deal on one today, with the intent of daily driving the crap out of it

I'm surprised at how much the C7's looks have grown on me, particularly in the Z06/Z07 trim. And the true kicker is the VALUE... typically 20% off new 2016 Z06s right now. If there were more Gen V Vipers around with really low miles, I might've gone after one... but I do like a flappy-paddle auto for daily driving and other elements of the C7 (e.g. HUD, front camera, CarPlay) are preferable to the Viper.

That said, I don't think I'll ever part ways with my Gen IV ACR. It's my track buddy and it'd be hard to let it go even if I had a big bag o'money to spend on a brand new ACR. And like Mopar Jimmy said: I kinda like knowing that there's no stability or traction control helping me drive my Viper.

We love the rarity of the car, but that also means that we've had to watch the Viper die a couple of times since '92. Unfortunately, I think we've reached a final end of the road: while there may be a car in the future that bears the Viper nameplate, it won't be a big honkin' NA V10 under the hood

Rich

Sweet ride, doing what it was made to do. As for the Viper's future, the Bondurant reps I talked to at Laguna Seca this year weren't a bit concerned about the future of the Viper. What form it will take is another story, but they were confident that it'll live on.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:03 AM
gymdoc
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm told Chrysler pulled the plug because they couldn't fit the side curtain airbags into the gen 5 therefore it would not meet the 2018 mandated safety standards..
Old 12-21-2016, 12:49 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I'm told Chrysler pulled the plug because they couldn't fit the side curtain airbags into the gen 5 therefore it would not meet the 2018 mandated safety standards..
I read that too- probably here. With a clean slate I'm sure they can make it happen, as long as the funding is there. The guys I talked to said they have assurances that the Viper will be back before their current stock is worn out. I understand this is only word of mouth, so take it for what it's worth. The guys smiled as they spoke of it- kind of a wink and a nod. Again, for what it's worth.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:10 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I read that too- probably here. With a clean slate I'm sure they can make it happen, as long as the funding is there. The guys I talked to said they have assurances that the Viper will be back before their current stock is worn out. I understand this is only word of mouth, so take it for what it's worth. The guys smiled as they spoke of it- kind of a wink and a nod. Again, for what it's worth.
Wishful thinking...

The car only sells in the hundreds per year.
Marchionne has said it must make $$$ or it dies.
Chrysler/Fiat is not in the charity business.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:30 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by sunsalem

Wishful thinking...

The car only sells in the hundreds per year.
Marchionne has said it must make $$$ or it dies.
Chrysler/Fiat is not in the charity business.
Those in the know say Viper is certainly done after the 2017 model. On a positive note I think that is going to really stabilize deprecation of thees great American exotic Icons and will even help increase the value of the more highly desirable Vipers, like the ACRs, as Vipers will be even more exclusive than they already are.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-21-2016 at 02:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Viper vs. Vette

Old 12-21-2016, 02:57 AM
gymdoc
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

bought a used gen 3 viper for $55k with 8k on it.. 6 years later sold it for $44k with 50K on it.. granted it got nicely massaged over the years..

Definitely doubt my Z07 is going to keep its value like that! and I'm sure I wont get any extra for any mods!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:56 AM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by h3mpking
I had a brand new 2014 Viper GTS for exactly one week before I got rid of it. I couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Compared to the C7 Z06, it is obsolete. Great looking car and great color. Welcome.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Starblaster
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The looks of the Viper have been watered down when they stopped producing the GenII which is still unequaled in raw beauty and exclusivity. When it comes to track days the new ACR can't be beat. Yes, I enjoyed my GenIV and the Viper could still be king but like Dodge, Fiat will not invest any money in R&D. Imagine if Dodge would have thrown money into the Viper the way GM supports the Vette. The Viper would then be heads above the competition. I can honestly say at this point they are only equal in the HP dept.

Quick Reply: Viper vs. Vette