C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DSC Sport Shock Controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
I've tried the OEM WEATHER mode and it does not provide anywhere near the level of comfort the DSC controller provides in PTM/WET.

I'm VERY curious about the the comfort level provided by the OEM controller in PTM/WET. I never tried the OEM controller in this setting on the highway before installing the DSC controller. As stated earlier, I just stumbled across the comfort level provided by the DSC controller as I was bored and playing with the vaious modes driving down the highway.

I'm just not sure I'm curious enough to swap out the controllers to find out...

Rick
Rick, I can't remember if your car is an FE7 or FE6 car. I will say that the OEM PTM Wet mode was softer but it was also super floaty. I'll have to try and dig up some old video but you could really see the hood lift and drop under acceleration.

The nice thing about the DSC controller though is when you put some G forces in to the car is automatically stiffens up in response. That way you're always able to respond if need to swerve to avoid an obstacle.
The following users liked this post:
Mad Dog 24 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 07:10 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
I've tried the OEM WEATHER mode and it does not provide anywhere near the level of comfort the DSC controller provides in PTM/WET.

I'm VERY curious about the the comfort level provided by the OEM controller in PTM/WET. I never tried the OEM controller in this setting on the highway before installing the DSC controller. As stated earlier, I just stumbled across the comfort level provided by the DSC controller as I was bored and playing with the vaious modes driving down the highway.

I'm just not sure I'm curious enough to swap out the controllers to find out...

Rick
I wouldn't be surprised if the OEM PTM/WET is considerably soft as well.

I'm also sure that GM won't soften the ride too much to prevent hitting the bump stops and destabilizing the car. Safety margins are more important for OEM systems than aftermarket.

Good find in any case. Is there also a way to have the throttle progression of Race mode with the soft suspension setting? I find this the ultimate drawback of the OEM modes. I want the Sport sound, Tour suspension, and everything else Track mode.
pdiddy972 (08-10-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 07:10 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Rick, are you controller only or did you do the tractive shocks too?
As my C7Z is 80% street I'm on OEM shocks for now. I'm not sure that I'll upgrade to the TracTive shocks. I might but not certain.

On my 997.2 911T race car I have both the controller and the TracTive shocks. The shocks are a bargin for what they offer. Suspension **** and a no brainer for a race car.

I can say that the DSC controller alone improves the C7Z OEM shock performance significantly more than the Porsche OEM PASM shocks. Much greater opportunity for improvement on the Corvette. The DSC controller really does transform the car. You have to drive one with it to appreciate what I'm talking about. Hugh improvement.

Last edited by rikhek; 01-03-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I wouldn't be surprised if the OEM PTM/WET is considerably soft as well.

I'm also sure that GM won't soften the ride too much to prevent hitting the bump stops and destabilizing the car. Safety margins are more important for OEM systems than aftermarket.

Good find in any case. Is there also a way to have the throttle progression of Race mode with the soft suspension setting? I find this the ultimate drawback of the OEM modes. I want the Sport sound, Tour suspension, and everything else Track mode.
Yup. Check out the link I posted earlier. You could load the entire tour suspension setting in for track mode or just set PTM Race to take some out of the shocks all together.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:17 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Rick, I can't remember if your car is an FE7 or FE6 car. I will say that the OEM PTM Wet mode was softer but it was also super floaty. I'll have to try and dig up some old video but you could really see the hood lift and drop under acceleration.

The nice thing about the DSC controller though is when you put some G forces in to the car is automatically stiffens up in response. That way you're always able to respond if need to swerve to avoid an obstacle.
Sean,

My car is an FE6. The car was just a tad floaty in PTM/WET with the DSC controller going down the highway. However, I'm nit picking. I hate a "floaty" car and it was by no means annoying. It was damn near perfect.

It was so good I want to copy the PTM/WET calibration tables into the TOUR mode.

Rick
Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If folks want to better understand how the system works here is a little tutorial on the software that I posted after I spent some time with Mike last week.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tutorial.html

I didn't talk about the launch control in this post because I wasn't sure if Mike was ready for it to be discussed publically. However, check out the acceleration table and you can get some feel for how it helps put the power down. The new software will have a couple of additional boxes to help with the additional shock when you launch from a dead stop and are in launch control mode.

Also, you can see in the PTM table where he takes 10% out of the shock in PTM Wet which helps with the ride.

This car is really killer with this suspension.
I've saw a comment in another thread where someone stated prior to the controller they would roast the tires in second and afterwards it simply put the power down. Can you provide any insight on this?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
I've saw a comment in another thread where someone stated prior to the controller they would roast the tires in second and afterwards it simply put the power down. Can you provide any insight on this?

Thanks!
Improved traction (dead stop launching and 0 to 60 mph) would be a major improvement.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks!
I think that was Mike that made that comment. I've had the system on my car for a year now so it's hard to remember how poorly it hooked up stock but I do know that how it put down power was one of my initial impressions.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html

If you look at the accelerator table in the link I posted earlier you can also see how the car can soften the rear when you smack the gas to help soften the blow to the tires. Launch control will do an even better job of stiffening the front and softening the rear so the car just squats and goes.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Thanks!
I started a thread about the DSC Sport controller helping put power down and Mike Levitas, owner of DSC Sport/TPC Racing commented on the subject. Mike developed the DSC Sport controller. Here's the first post from that thread followed by a link to the entire discussion. The link to the entire thread is below the alignment table:

In a different thread there's an ongoing discussion about the magnetic shock benefits realized with the DSC Sport suspension controller in road course and aggressive "twisties" driving. I have a controller on my Porsche GT1 997.2 911T race car and C7Z. I'm amazed at the improvements realized on both these cars. Others who have installed a controller express similar results.

Also discussed in the other thread is the difficulty putting power down from a standing or rolling start with the C7Z. Most don't realize the DSC Sport controller was designed to improve performance in straight line applications as well as road course and street driving applications.

Mike Levitas who owns TPC Racing is an accomplished racer and race shop owner. His credentials include winning the Daytona 24 Hours and numerous IMSA titles. He's also a long time Corvette nut and drag racing fan. The controller website is: www.dscsport.com.

Mike's a friend of mine and expressed some time back he was frustrated with difficulty putting power down with the C7Z. Additionally, he saw room for improvement from the magnetorheological shocks on road courses. Mike's chassis, suspension and setup knowledge from an engineering standpoint is world class.

I asked Mike to contribute his thoughts to the other thread. He was hesitant as he didn't want to seen as joining the discussion to promote sales of his controller. I convinced him his contribution would be welcomed.

I thought you folks would appreciate the post Mike contributed to the other thread specific to how the DSC Controller improves the ability to put power down in straight line applications:

Mike Levitas here. I thought I would chime in and try to give a few cool details about the DSC Sport controller. There are many features of the controller. One of note is the massive improvement in grip that translates in huge improvements in 60 ft times as well any speed roll-on.

My C7 Z06 M7 was so bad stock it would blow the rear tires off in 3rd gear. Now my car barely squeaks the tire.

How this is achieved is uncomplicated. The controller has an acceleration table that is used in throttle rate of change. There is a sensitivity feature so you can time the rate of change of the throttle to the compressor bypass valve in the blower.

This triggers a table that allows tuning of the magnetic dampers so you can soften low speed rear compression to soften the blow to the tire and increase low speed front rebound to slow down weight transfer so the tires are not overloaded. The result is the car flattens out with nice transfer so you don't blow off the tires.

That being said, please understand setup is critical. You must adhere to my setup on the rear uprights. Caster is king in controlling the toe curve. I'm not sure what GM was thinking with their suggested alignment setup but the car works way better with 0.75 degrees positive rear caster. Also, try to keep eccentric in the center.

I like 1.2 camber for most street cars leaving in all control arm washers. The rear toe loves to be out -0.5mm with this caster.

The secret sauce is the DSC controller so now the shocks can go way softer than stock so you don't blow off the tire. Road racing and drag racing are a lot the same in approach. I've spent time analyzing 100s of cars. Launching a good car just leaves no drama and no big weight transfer. The car just drops and leaves same as a good car off the corner and never even turns a tire.

There is so much power in the DSC controller your imagination is your only limit or lack there of. Please remember there is still the velocity tables that allow tuning of grip to the tires.

This is first digitally available aftermarket controller offered to enhance the car's capabilities.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ower-down.html

Last edited by rikhek; 01-03-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:02 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Can someone explain how a driver selects the different settings with this thing? Does the controller just revamp what each mode is in the DIC? So I still select Tour, Sport, Track or any PTM mode and the changes are all behind the scenes?
Old 01-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Can someone explain how a driver selects the different settings with this thing? Does the controller just revamp what each mode is in the DIC? So I still select Tour, Sport, Track or any PTM mode and the changes are all behind the scenes?
yes, and in the software for the DSC you can edit the suspension settings based on each Driving Mode: Touring, Sport, Track, and each of the Track PTM modes (as far as I can tell, mine is coming in today).
Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
yes, and in the software for the DSC you can edit the suspension settings based on each Driving Mode: Touring, Sport, Track, and each of the Track PTM modes (as far as I can tell, mine is coming in today).
Will be interested in your review of this product, particularly if you should make any softening changes to the Tour mode.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2092
Will be interested in your review of this product, particularly if you should make any softening changes to the Tour mode.
oh intend to really mess it up.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 PM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will be interesting to see what difference, if any, it makes on the track. Lap time comparos. My guess is not much as I think the OEM controller is pretty well optimized for track performance. GM's testing resources for that environment are well beyond the typical after-market vendor.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:07 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Is wifi or Bluetooth built into the V2 or something coming in a later version?

Last edited by spearfish25; 01-04-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. It might help to look at the screen shots I posted.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:20 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rsalco
Will be interesting to see what difference, if any, it makes on the track. Lap time comparos. My guess is not much as I think the OEM controller is pretty well optimized for track performance. GM's testing resources for that environment are well beyond the typical after-market vendor.
seen a few people reporting around 2 seconds a lap at various tracks.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Shock Controller observations

Old 01-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Rick, I'm interested with your opinions after a few track days as I know we are using similar track settings. My Z07 while comfortable enough to take on long trips in Tour, NY to FL.. I am getting old and notice this summer it would be nice for a bit softer ride. Interesting!

Just signed my wife up for here first track days this coming summer. Now how do I sell the need for the controller to a novice?
Old 01-04-2017, 07:21 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Yes. It might help to look at the screen shots I posted.
I did. It's mesmerizing, awesome, and intimidating all at once. I really don't want to get into tweaking both because I don't know what I'm doing in that department and I'm not really interested in spending any time on it. I'm more interested in plug and play improvement at the track with the potential to improve my comfort cruising ride as well.

Last edited by spearfish25; 01-04-2017 at 07:23 PM.
pdiddy972 (08-11-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm curious. If I got this I would essentially leave it stock as I'd probably just screw it up. However for the strip is love to get the launch control settings into some other standard mode such as tour. I'd want the best for weight transfer at the track however launch control is never the best way to get a very good 60 foot. Is this doable or is the launch control settings a whole other thing? Also, would this be dangerous for any reason to roll around in this modified tour configuration with LC weight transfer ability?

Thank you!

Best,
Gene

ps. Looking forward to hearing about aggressive street performance.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Shock Controller observations