C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DSC Sport Shock Controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by atterbud
Let me know how you get on at Little Bear with the alignment. I have the DSC controller, AMT camber plates, adjustable sway bar links and rear toe arms all sitting in my garage waiting for me to ever find the time to get them all fitted. I also have the stage 3 wicker bill, CF front winglets, Mamo TB, Burger air filter and Corsa X-pipe in the same pile. Working on my deck and recovering from a small surgery are driving me nuts!

I am in Ridgefield, so even closer to you than Gene!
Yo install party! I've got four bays. I can't get the Xpipe done but come by when Bond comes and we'll do a bunch of stuff and I'll take some sick photos too.

I'm on Deans Corner Road.

Best,
Gene
Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 AM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a new one for sale in the classifieds. Brand new, never installed. Asking $1200 shipped. Save a $100.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Yo install party! I've got four bays. I can't get the Xpipe done but come by when Bond comes and we'll do a bunch of stuff and I'll take some sick photos too.

I'm on Deans Corner Road.

Best,
Gene
Couldn't wait...had the alignment done and installed it in literally less than 10 mins by just turning the steering wheel all the way to the left, this gave me enough room to take off the mud guard and wheel well felt to install. Then I zeroed them and off I went.

All I can say is WOW! What a difference and I'm so glad I did this

Last edited by Nyvetteguy007; 06-08-2017 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

For those members in the NY Metro area, Little Bear Wheel Alignment in Buchanan NY has the tool to adjust rear caster and Brian and the crew over there do an awesome job period!

For detailed info on them, PM me...
george vee (06-27-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Speeddog
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just installed the V2 on my Z. Fabulous improvement as most everyone has said. ALL modes are vastly improved, including Touring.

Great mod
Old 07-22-2017, 04:35 PM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
I am very happy with the launch mode and it sounds like before you start launching the car need to download the latest UI user interface and get a handle on the data portion you can log the launch there is a separate section just for launch it even will map out the clutch release lot of data any questions and there will be just ask Im happy to help. also the launch works in the rolling mode also there is a section on that there is a lot of power available. you can even call here we will walk you into the section
DSC, I am thinking of getting your controller, I just got a 2018 Z06 convertible non Z07. I am in south Florida do you know of any shops here that can do the alignment?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by eric04
DSC, I am thinking of getting your controller, I just got a 2018 Z06 convertible non Z07. I am in south Florida do you know of any shops here that can do the alignment?
Ask the same question here from fellow FL owners:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southeast-42/

Bish
eric04 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

We have many race shops can't be all that difficult
The only challenge is rear caster
Old 07-23-2017, 01:36 PM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

We have many race shops can't be all that difficult
The only challenge is rear caster
yes that's is the point, I need one local that can also do the casters

I will try the local forum as suggested.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:18 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

yes that's is the point, I need one local that can also do the casters

I will try the local forum as suggested.
You can always call our race shop TPCRacing and let Tom Chan know where your at and see if there is a team or someone we may have that could help you in your area
410-799-7223
The following 2 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
eric04 (07-23-2017), thebishman (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 04:42 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

You can always call our race shop TPCRacing and let Tom Chan know where your at and see if there is a team or someone we may have that could help you in your area
410-799-7223
That's exactly what I did and you guys hooked me up in Raleigh, NC. Gabe at GT performance did a great job! It's amazing how much difference a good alignment makes.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:02 PM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

410-799-7223
Thank you I will call
Old 08-07-2017, 12:05 AM
WoodiC7
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alignment question: Toe of -0.5mm is equivalent to how many degrees?
Old 08-07-2017, 05:08 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by WoodiC7
Alignment question: Toe of -0.5mm is equivalent to how many degrees?
Converting .5mm to inches is approximately .020 inches.

Then you need to know the overall diameter of the tire. For the Z06, the fronts are 25.8" and rears are 26.6".

http://www.1728.org/toe-out.htm

So, -.5mm = -.020 inches = -.044 degrees for the fronts and -.043 for the rears.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:27 AM
WoodiC7
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
Converting .5mm to inches is approximately .020 inches.

Then you need to know the overall diameter of the tire. For the Z06, the fronts are 25.8" and rears are 26.6".

http://www.1728.org/toe-out.htm

So, -.5mm = -.020 inches = -.044 degrees for the fronts and -.043 for the rears.
Thanks... I should have been more specific in my question because there are different baselines for figuring this out - diameter of tire, diameter of wheel, length of the alignment tool. The question for Mike @ DSC Sport is what baseline are you using for the -0.5 mm toe measurement so I can convert this to degrees?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:59 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Thanks... I should have been more specific in my question because there are different baselines for figuring this out - diameter of tire, diameter of wheel, length of the alignment tool. The question for Mike @ DSC Sport is what baseline are you using for the -0.5 mm toe measurement so I can convert this to degrees?
alerted DSC, so hopefully Mike or someone else will respond
Old 08-07-2017, 12:50 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

I guess I don't understand. Wheel diameter doesn't matter, the overall diameter of the tire matters. This is just a simple trigonometry relationship. The diameters between the Z51 and Z06 Pilot Super Sport tires are slightly different, but not by much. And even though the fronts and rears are different as well it doesn't affect the angle by much.

I do wish DSC would provide a tolerance to their values, rather than just simply a hard value.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Shock Controller observations

Old 08-07-2017, 01:43 PM
WoodiC7
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
I guess I don't understand. Wheel diameter doesn't matter, the overall diameter of the tire matters. This is just a simple trigonometry relationship. The diameters between the Z51 and Z06 Pilot Super Sport tires are slightly different, but not by much. And even though the fronts and rears are different as well it doesn't affect the angle by much.

I do wish DSC would provide a tolerance to their values, rather than just simply a hard value.
Because some people measure toe with wheel diameter, not tire diameter. For example: http://www.smartracingproducts.com/s...able-cw-v3.pdf.

Some alignment machines assume a fixed wheel/tire diameter, so we'd need to know what that number is because it's arbitrary.

Using degrees for the toe measurement is the universal approach because it's an absolute number whereas using a linear measurement is relative to the alignment method you're using.

Last edited by WoodiC7; 08-07-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:45 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Yes the tires are the stock tires most machines do the conversion We are used to doing it all it mm because at the track its all done with machinist scales. So we keep it simple. I think it will work out to -.03 degree
Old 08-07-2017, 08:02 PM
mwlhrh
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

just put the DSC module in this afternoon for 2016 Z06 with Z07 package; ordered from Katech on Friday afternoon with touring-plush calibration file loaded and arrived today- that's service. I have not had the DSC-recommended alignment yet...

install notes:

i did the installation without removing the left front wheel but otherwise, mostly followed the forum install write-up. If i upgrade to ZR-1 and take the module with me, i will certainly remove the wheel. it is a tight fit and my left arm shows for it with grooves and light abrasions. I had several battery powered LED flash lights bathing the area behind the wheel well liner and predominantly visualized the work through the vent holes as looking from the wheel well opening was too restricted at the same time as my arm was in the work area. Also, removing the module tray by removing the 10mm bolt is the only way i could see how the OEM module could be removed from the module tray whilst the wheel in place. once everything was buttoned up, i found a 2 meter mini usb still too short-3 meter probably would have been best. Total install time: about 1.5 hr. Both USB port and wifi worked as advertised.

As for the payoff...WOW!

with the OEM module, i always found the tour mode strangely non-compliant; better than sport for long drives, but unsettled/rough road still made for a jostled ride. I never used track mode on street as simply too rough and no confidence in the tail end holding on whilst power applied. I usually stayed in sport mode and practiced caution with the throttle, especially in turns so as to not break traction. With the DSC operating, the power can be applied much more aggressively and traction control works without any drama at the tail such as wagging/sideways thrusting. Furthermore, in all modes, the compliance of the ride and the confidence inspired by the suspension work is considerably better than OEM. Even DSC sport and track modes are quite a bit more 'comfortable' on rough northwest Ohio roads than all OEM offerings and the tour mode is down-right impressive for cruising about. The DSC module truly is transformative for this car. I am looking forward to more seat time...

rob.
Jacob (08-07-2017)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Shock Controller observations