C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DSC Sport Shock Controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:51 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Gene, No alignment does not change. I would corner wt the car unless you marked the bolts and counted rounds so that each corner was changed the same amount. Every car we have corner weighted that was stock was money spot on. after its weighted align per our spec add DSC thats it
Thank you. I know for a fact it is not corner balanced. My old dealership did a questionable job at best lowering the car. SpeetSport will corner weight and align the car soon to get it ready for the controller.

Thanks again!

Best,
Gene
Old 03-11-2017, 09:25 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I've had several PM questions which suggest there might be some confusion regarding the ride provided by the DSC controller.

The DSC controller was originally developed for increased performance/lower track times on road courses. The controller also offers much greater car control on the street. The track performance gains also translate to greatly improved aggressive and normal street driving with NO downside.

I think a better way to describe the improvements as greatly increased tire contact patch at all times with the racing/road surface rather than a "softer" ride. The controller keeps the rubber on the road which helps in EVERY aspect of performance driving on the track, during aggressive street driving or just around town.

Better contact provides better turn in by keeping all 4 wheels planted and in contact with the track/road surface, handling through the corner, powering out of the corner and straight line acceleration.

This is all accomplished by making use of the excellent chassis Chevy developed for the C7. They just didn't make the most of the MRSC shocks and OEM controller.

In summary, the controler improves performance and control through the chassis. It does not turn the car into a floating, soft 1970 era Cadillac. It does greatly improve street comfort but I consider this just an added bonus...

Rick
Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 AM
atterbud
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Just received my AMT front and rear camber kit and it looks to be very nice quality with good detailed (and amusing!) instructions. I have also just received the DSC controller (ordered Friday and received Saturday, what service!) and have a Pfadt rear adjustable toe link on order.

i bought a set of aluminum hub stands from eastern Europe last year along with an accurate angle gauge and the caster bracket from waastab. When the weather gets a little warmer in the north east, I plan to fit the parts myself and have SST (a local mainly Porsche race shop recommended by Mike Levitas) to do an alignment and corner balance to Mike's specs.

I plan to use this baseline and try to use my new toys to learn how to perform any setup changes myself once I have leveled the garage floor. I have also invested in a couple of straight-line lasers and will try to build a laser string type of setup with an extruded aluminum frame, or maybe just strings if the lasers do not work out. I have a nasty habit of being a little over confident on these types of things so look out for a set of corner weight scales, hub stands and camber/caster gauges in May if this does not go as planned!

I have myself booked into the Ron Fellows school on 8/9 May so if everything works out, hopefully I can get a couple of track days in during the summer.

Wish me luck, I think I'm going to need it!
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (03-19-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

A friend who already installed his DSC controller came over this morning and helped me install mine. Went for a nice drive this afternoon on some twisty roads that I know have a lot of bumps.

All I can say so far is "Damn..." I played around in Tour/Plush and Sport - where I used to feel most bumps or railroad ties, now I only really hear them as the car goes over them. The car feels much "softer" while driving slow over these bumps - right afterwards I hit several tight corners in a row that state 15 to 20MPH corners. While the car "feels" soft going over the bumps, as soon as I started driving more aggressively in the corners, the suspension firmed right up - no discernible body roll like I thought there would be. In sport, even better! While just cruising, sport mode feels nicer than the OEM tour mode did.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say once the weather warms up around here and I'm more confident having fun in the car - my alignment to Mike's specs is happening next Tuesday and, having experienced very sudden oversteer in my C6, I've been waiting to really start exploring the car's capabilities until the alignment is done.

Thanks for an awesome upgrade, DSC! And to all who've tested and posted about this awesome product. Now I'm really looking forward to driving my car at Spring Mountain in June and hitting several track days around the PNW afterwards!

Aaron
Old 03-20-2017, 09:19 PM
MacManInfi
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Took my car to the autocross this weekend and was blown away by the performance. Handling/balance was perfect. No understeer and the car hooked up the whole time, even at full throttle in second gear with the Callaway 757. The DSC controller is the best money I've spent on the car. Though I do need to update the firmware so I can take advantage of the launch control setup!

It was the first autocross I've ever been to in the Z06 and my second run produced the top time in my class, even with the "street" alignment. And on the way home I got to ride in plush mode, enjoy the AC and cooled seats and listen to Pandora radio on an awesome sound system. You just can't ask for more. Loooooove these vettes!!!

Last edited by MacManInfi; 03-20-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Is2scooby (03-26-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

Nice run on the autocross! As you said, the car was very planted, even under hard acceleration.
MacManInfi (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:45 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

I would like 1 but $1200 is not for me,if it was about half that I would go for it just for the better ride.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:46 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lordofwar
I would like 1 but $1200 is not for me,if it was about half that I would go for it just for the better ride.
Not sure the purpose of your post but I offer a different way to consider the expenditure.

The controller is not a consumable item. As such, I would imagine it would sell VERY quickly in the For Sale sub-forum when you get rid of the car for about 75% of the initial outlay. If you got $900 for it used it would only have cost you $300.

As many, myself included, have stated it's the best performance mod I've ever done to any of my Corvettes regardless of price....

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 03-21-2017 at 10:50 AM.
thebishman (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 10:56 AM
donato
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's always been said, never skimp on tires and brakes, I would add suspension and handling to that list.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:16 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Not sure the purpose of your post but I offer a different way to consider the expenditure.

The controller is not a consumable item. As such, I would imagine it would sell VERY quickly in the For Sale sub-forum when you get rid of the car for about 75% of the initial outlay. If you got $900 for it used it would only have cost you $300.

As many, myself included, have stated it's the best performance mod I've ever done to any of my Corvettes regardless of price....

Rick
These stories have sold me. This mod sounds like the ticket to getting the best of both worlds - a more comfortable daily driver and more capable performance car.

Most sports cars are not driven because of their less than ideal ride/handling for daily errands and/or long journeys. I know of many people who have gotten rid of Vipers, GT3s, and corvettes because of their punishing ride - the common theme was that it was tiring to drive them and they just sat in the garage. While the mag ride shocks have improved ride quality, there is still room for improvement in achieving a smooth ride on bad roads.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:23 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
A friend who already installed his DSC controller came over this morning and helped me install mine. Went for a nice drive this afternoon on some twisty roads that I know have a lot of bumps.

All I can say so far is "Damn..." I played around in Tour/Plush and Sport - where I used to feel most bumps or railroad ties, now I only really hear them as the car goes over them. The car feels much "softer" while driving slow over these bumps - right afterwards I hit several tight corners in a row that state 15 to 20MPH corners. While the car "feels" soft going over the bumps, as soon as I started driving more aggressively in the corners, the suspension firmed right up - no discernible body roll like I thought there would be. In sport, even better! While just cruising, sport mode feels nicer than the OEM tour mode did.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say once the weather warms up around here and I'm more confident having fun in the car - my alignment to Mike's specs is happening next Tuesday and, having experienced very sudden oversteer in my C6, I've been waiting to really start exploring the car's capabilities until the alignment is done.

Thanks for an awesome upgrade, DSC! And to all who've tested and posted about this awesome product. Now I'm really looking forward to driving my car at Spring Mountain in June and hitting several track days around the PNW afterwards!

Aaron
Thats cool glad your having fun if you think the controller is bad *** the shocks take things to a new level
Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Thats cool glad your having fun if you think the controller is bad *** the shocks take things to a new level
Mike

On your recommended alignment settings you seem to have a range for front caster. Is there a specific setting that you think is best, as I'm getting everything set to your recommendations next week?

TIA,
Bish
Old 03-21-2017, 06:15 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thebishman
Mike

On your recommended alignment settings you seem to have a range for front caster. Is there a specific setting that you think is best, as I'm getting everything set to your recommendations next week?

TIA,
Bish
Bish,

You want to get as close to 7 as possible while keeping symmetry on both sides. Often you have to give up a bit of caster to keep them equal.

Rick
thebishman (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Just got back from 2 days at VIR. I'll post up a new thread but had a ton of fun using the PTM modes to dynamically change the balance of the car during a session without even slowing down. This system just keeps getting better!
The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
360Lemans (03-23-2017), Mu$cle (03-24-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I'll be interested to see how the DSC controller responds with the RT shocks I just ordered from Katech. Haven't seen anyone with a Z07 try them yet but hopefully the dynamic range improvements translate into quantitive improvements on track. Not to beat a dead horse but I really wish the wi-fi would release soon so I could update the tune and zero the shocks easier.
peterjank (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek

Rick
what I mean is I do not track my car,so the upgrade in handling would not justify the $1200 cost.but the better ride because of crappy roads in upstate ny would justify me spending about half that.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:42 AM
peterjank
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
I really wish the wi-fi would release soon so I could update the tune and zero the shocks easier.
Same here.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Shock Controller observations

Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by lordofwar
what I mean is I do not track my car,so the upgrade in handling would not justify the $1200 cost.but the better ride because of crappy roads in upstate ny would justify me spending about half that.
don't / won't track my C7.R either (probably - VBG) and the difference in handling can NOT really be described adequately in my feeble mind! Let's just say "seat of the pants" in taking an exit ramp that I typically took at around 40 (posted speed 25) I can NOW safely take at 60! With the controller the car just squats like it should in the turns and really NO roll, etc. that you typically get / expect. Of course this NOT a scientific response. And, yes I do drive the C7.R very aggressively when I take her out.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Well I kept sitting on the sidelines but called TPC late this afternoon. I decided to get the controller and the RT shock package. I think that will probably be overkill but I can't wait to get the parts installed. While I was on the phone Mike overheard the guy that was talking with me and got on the phone. Wow. He walked me through what I could expect as far as the shocks and controller and also through how to set up the alignment. His enthusiasm is contagious! He even helped me out with a local shop to get the alignment.
Shaun I sent you a pm over the weekend but I think I got all the answers I needed before I get the shocks installed but I'm sure I'll have a lot more afterwards. Can't wait to get it set up.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 03-23-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:15 PM
MacManInfi
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm jelly. Congrats!!!
badhabit_wb (03-23-2017)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Shock Controller observations