C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DSC Sport Shock Controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I just loaded this into my controller and zeroed the shocks today. Should I adjust it if I'm running cup 2's at VIR. I'm guessing it doesn't need to be quite as firm. Thanks.

Herman
Is it a Z07? What mode do you normally run in? My initial reaction is to run it as is and play with the different PTM modes. Remember that Sport 1 will have a softer front than I liked so you might think our perfect. If you still want it softer than try dropping the front to 50 in whatever mode you prefer.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:18 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Is it a Z07? What mode do you normally run in? My initial reaction is to run it as is and play with the different PTM modes. Remember that Sport 1 will have a softer front than I liked so you might think our perfect. If you still want it softer than try dropping the front to 50 in whatever mode you prefer.
Thanks. It's just like yours a z06. I got a good deal on some take-off wheels and tires so I just bought the set. I have a set of the super sports and cups on factory wheels.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:22 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Poor-sha, are those the only changes? The PTM percentage overrides.... I saved the email as a reminder but haven't yet had a chance to take a look at the file. I was going to load it on mine but as I have a Z07 I'm not sure I want or need the front to be any stiffer than it is already. If those are the only changes, I'll likely leave mine alone.

Thanks,
Old 04-14-2017, 10:37 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
Poor-sha, are those the only changes? The PTM percentage overrides.... I saved the email as a reminder but haven't yet had a chance to take a look at the file. I was going to load it on mine but as I have a Z07 I'm not sure I want or need the front to be any stiffer than it is already. If those are the only changes, I'll likely leave mine alone.

Thanks,
We changed the high, med, and low speed compression in the velocity tab, the overall front shock curve in the shock table (stiffer), and the PTM modes.

Honestly, the more I push this car the more I think it needs the stiffer Z07 springs on track. I'm toying with swapping them out but I have the car working well now. I would think the stiffer shock settings would complement the stiffer springs.

My advice is still the same though, try it out and post up what you think. We should start to build a community around tuning to taste. Worst case just load the old settings after you've tried it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
badhabit_wb (04-15-2017), fleming23 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 10:41 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

We changed the high, med, and low speed compression in the velocity tab, the overall front shock curve in the shock table (stiffer), and the PTM modes.

Honestly, the more I push this car the more I think it needs the stiffer Z07 springs on track. I'm toying with swapping them out but I have the car working well now. I would think the stiffer shock settings would complement the stiffer springs.

My advice is still the same though, try it out and post up what you think. We should start to build a community around tuning to taste. Worst case just load the old settings after you've tried it.
Sounds like a plan. I'll be at VIR on the 10th of next month but I'm not sure if it will be the whole track or just part of it. Last year it was just the South course so that would be different. Should be a blast either way. I'll take my laptop and make changes after each session if it needs it and see what I like best.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Bullet Tooth
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

I am a very big fan of the DSC controller. I will give a full update with video early next week but I ran 1:22.5 yesterday at Hallett and multiple low 1:23s. I was able to get the power down so much more quickly.

Huge fan.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (04-16-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 06:28 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bullet Tooth
I am a very big fan of the DSC controller. I will give a full update with video early next week but I ran 1:22.5 yesterday at Hallett and multiple low 1:23s. I was able to get the power down so much more quickly.

Huge fan.
I haven't had a chance to get to a track but I noticed how much better it hooked up in 2nd. I didn't notice a lot of difference in 1st but when I hit second it just went. It probably didn't spin 10 feet.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 PM
WhiteSands
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I just noticed your post and I did change out my springs for the stiffer Z07. IMO was a big improvement. Much stiffer, but be aware the car will raise about 3/4" in ride height with the FE7 springs.
I later swapped out the shocks as well but could not really tell a difference. Then after all that I installed the DSC controller.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:43 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Trigger Pulled!

Excited to see if this thing makes driving the Z07 near the limit on the road a little more accessible and in turn more enjoyable. Will also welcome not having to switch to tour every time I come across a horrible patch of road. Also hoping this thing helps with my sad attempts at 60' at the track.

Best,
Gene
Old 04-18-2017, 05:04 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Trigger Pulled!

Excited to see if this thing makes driving the Z07 near the limit on the road a little more accessible and in turn more enjoyable. Will also welcome not having to switch to tour every time I come across a horrible patch of road. Also hoping this thing helps with my sad attempts at 60' at the track.

Best,
Gene
There is no way to explore the limits of a well set up Z06 on the street even without the DSC V2; not without killing yourself or someone else. Save it for some kind of track.

The ride characteristics in Tour mode are very comfortable even on my Z07; so much so that I drive it in Sport mode even more than I used to.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by thebishman
There is no way to explore the limits of a well set up Z06 on the street even without the DSC V2; not without killing yourself or someone else. Save it for some kind of track.

The ride characteristics in Tour mode are very comfortable even on my Z07; so much so that I drive it in Sport mode even more than I used to.
I'm sure you are correct. I know 98% disagree with me but this is why I personally found my old worked up Mini to be more fun. Nothing beats 4 wheel drifting that thing around a corner while barely breaking the speed limit.

I'm normally in sport or track so I figure it will just make that all the more enjoyable.

Best,
Gene

PS what kind of USB connection does the V2 use? Mini, micro??? Also what's a good length to pick up for running it into the car?

Thanks!

Last edited by phantasms; 04-18-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Is2scooby (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:31 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I'm sure you are correct. I know 98% disagree with me but this is why I personally found my old worked up Mini to be more fun. Nothing beats 4 wheel drifting that thing around a corner while barely breaking the speed limit.

I'm normally in sport or track so I figure it will just make that all the more enjoyable.

Best,
Gene

PS what kind of USB connection does the V2 use? Mini, micro??? Also what's a good length to pick up for running it into the car?

Thanks!
It's a mini, with a right angled end, 6 feet long. You need the right angled end. Also plug it in before you bolt the controller in.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 04-18-2017 at 07:37 PM.
phantasms (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:36 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

...PS what kind of USB connection does the V2 use? Mini, micro??? Also what's a good length to pick up for running it into the car?...
It takes a mini USB connector.

I think my cord is 5', and I wish I had AT LEAST another 2'!

Edit: I see badhabit responded while I was typing - and I agree you need the right angle connector. I installed mine after my controller had been in the car a couple months, and I did it without removing the unit - bad idea, it was a PITA!! I shoulda just removed the controller to install the connector, then reinstalled the unit.

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-18-2017 at 07:39 PM.
phantasms (04-18-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Not that it really matters but I put a straight mini connection on and had plenty of clearance,
Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Bump to the top as this should be a sticky.

Life has been hectic recently but when I have time I'll post a full review. This device has made me fall in love with the car all over again. This is singlehandedly the best mod that can be done to your car. There should be no one driving a Z06 without it no matter what you use the car for.

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 05-05-2017 at 10:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phantasms:
Dif (05-05-2017), george vee (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 AM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I would buy one today if DSC would answer some questions about Launch Control. I understand how it is activated and the decay rate. I want to know specifically if they have a baseline shock setting that is better the the stock Track/Race Launch Control that GM designed for "Drag Strip". I know you can individually set the shock bias with DSC, but does DSC have a preset bias that is purely drag strip Launch based and is proven better Launch traction than stock ???? Would buy it now.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:26 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by onfire
I would buy one today if DSC would answer some questions about Launch Control. I understand how it is activated and the decay rate. I want to know specifically if they have a baseline shock setting that is better the the stock Track/Race Launch Control that GM designed for "Drag Strip". I know you can individually set the shock bias with DSC, but does DSC have a preset bias that is purely drag strip Launch based and is proven better Launch traction than stock ???? Would buy it now.
If all you ever do is drag race I can't help. I will say that my car "hooks up" a lot better now than it did before. I also purchased the tractive shocks so that is probably some of it but it's a different car on the street. I drove 400 miles over the weekend and I saw improvements in handling and a better ride. Traction was improved in second gear by a large margin. I didn't see a lot of difference in first since the car seems to spin the moment I hit the gas but when I hit second gear the car just plants itself and hauls. It probably spins 10 feet but nothing like it was before.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Shock Controller observations

Old 05-05-2017, 10:45 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I don't think DSC really "drag races" so to say they have a preset or setting that is purely for drag racing seems unlikely. If you are a big racer, and have tuned on double or triple adjustable shocks, you most likely know what settings you want to change on the car to loosen the front rebound so the car transfers weight, or the rear to plant the tire harder (or softer). You can do all these same things from the DSC controller on your own. There are rebound and compression tables you can easily manipulate.

If what you are wanting is for someone to do all the work for you so you can just load the file, I'm not sure DSC as a programmer is the answer. Their hardware/software is still the right direction, but I think you'll ultimately need to find someone else who does soley drag racing to help you with set up. Mike, and DSC/TPC, are a group of road course racers at heart.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:50 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by onfire
While I can't specifically answer your question I can say that traction, even in first gear, is dramatically more than it was without the DSC. I'm not certain that the GM LC system does anything at all with the shocks. I can be rolling at 5mph in 1st gear and floor it and she hooks and takes off like a rocket. Never would that have been a possibility before the DSC. I can't wait to get back to the strip because I have no doubt this will be a tremendous help in getting the power down and cutting a much better 60'.

Best,
Gene
Old 05-05-2017, 10:53 AM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Hooking better in 2nd is a good indication their settings improved weight transfer. I've pm'd and emailed them 2 weeks ago. I did receive one pm explaining activation and decay. Logical. Since they developed their version of Launch Control they had to test it to develop it. Would be simple to share the results. Example: "on non prepped asphalt the GM LC in an automatic trans ZO6 measured 0-60ft in 1.8 seconds and 0-60mph in 3.4 seconds. Installed our box and 0-60ft was 1.6 seconds and 0-60mph was 3.1 seconds due to better weight transfer and shock management. " That test would take an hour. DSC, get me those numbers and I'll buy today if there is a reasonable improvement over stock.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Shock Controller observations