C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DSC Sport Shock Controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:38 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default DSC Sport Shock Controller Observations

Note there is a parallel thread discussing the DSC Controller in the C7 General Forum. It provides a great deal of additional information, comments and buyers critiques. Here's the link:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ervations.html

I have a DSC Sport magnetic shock controller on my 17 C7Z. In my opinion it is the best modification available for our cars. It's game changing and truly transforms the cars performance. I have a hard time putting into words just how transformational the DSC Sport Controller is in EVERY driving situation. The handling gains during aggressive street driving and on the track are shocking. Hugh improvement over the OEM controller. Just truly amazing.

I was out in the country yesterday testing/playing on fun roads with the various modes and observed something "new" I found very interesting/useful just cruising down the highway. Traveling to the fun roads took about 1.5 hours each way on the highway. While cruising I killed the boredom by playing with ALL the shock setting modes.

I was astonished at how comfortable/compliant the ride was while cruising the highway in RACE/PTM WET mode. It was GREATLY better than non-PTM TOURING or non-PTM WEATHER settings. Amazingly good at smoothing out everything including small bumps and expansion joints.

I was surprised enough at the ride that I called DSC Sport from the car on my way home to discuss. They were at first surprised at my observation but then said it makes perfect sense. They said their calibrations in RACE/PTM WET are softer than other OEM settings which results in a much better highway ride. They had just never considered trying that setting on the highway.

Bottom line, my "new" go to setting for going up and down a highway is RACE/PTM WET. Very, very comfortable. Not good for aggressive performance driving but game changing for boring highway cruising.

Just wanted to share my observations. C7 owners with magnetic shocks owe it to themselves to get one of the controllers. It truly provides game changing performance improvements. Not "slight" improvements you "think" you can feel but HUGH, real world performance improvements.

FWIW, I'm not affiliated with DSC Sport but am a very satisfied customer. They are a Forum supporting vendor:

http://www.dscsport.com/

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 02-23-2017 at 10:22 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by rikhek:
BEZ06 (01-03-2017), fmcokc (01-03-2017), Is2scooby (03-11-2017), Lyn Go Fast (03-10-2018), Mad Dog 24 (01-04-2017), Mikec7z (03-26-2019), MTPZ06 (01-03-2017), phantasms (01-03-2017), The Yav (02-16-2017), thebishman (01-03-2017), WzUpDoc (01-03-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

01-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I wanted to pull my controller out this weekend to take it up to TPC Racing for a firmware update and decided this was a good opportunity to do a quick write-up on how to install the DSC controller.

First of all, please pay no mind to the fact that I have the suspension all torn apart on my car - that was for a different project and you should be able to do this with the wheel on and turned or worst case just pull the wheel. Now let's get started.

First, gently pull on the splash guards at the rear of the left front wheel well to pull them free from the clips. Note that there is small slot mid way up the splash guard that slips in to the liner and a 7mm bolt on the bottom under the car and just behind the wheel well you will also need to remove.

Now remove the (3) T-15 screws that were behind the splash guard. You can see them loose in this picture.

Followed by removing the 4 push pins. You will see 3 of them loose in this pic. The 4th one I also removed was just above the area I took a picture of.

Now peel back the wheel liner and you will see the suspension control module in the wheel well (it's the white box in the picture). Mine is already a DSC module so the OEM unit will look a little different and it won't have the USB cable plugged in to it like I do.

The black bracket that the white controller sits in has two little plastic tabs at the top. Just push those back and pop the controller out of the bracket. Then pull it out of the wheel well towards you with the wiring harness still attached.

Now pull from the back of the wiring harness to remove the clip securing it to the controller. Then pull the controller from the harness.

Now plug in your new DSC Sport controller, close the clip, put it back in the bracket, and put the wheel well screws and pins back in.

This really is a super easy mod to install so don't let the install sway you from getting one. Enjoy!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:01 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by rikhek
I have a DSC Sport magnetic shock controller on my 17 C7Z. In my opinion it is the best modification available for our cars. It's game changing and truly transforms the cars performance. I have a hard time putting into words just how transformational the DSC Sport Controller is in EVERY driving situation. The handling gains during aggressive street driving and on the track are shocking. Hugh improvement over the OEM controller. Just truly amazing.

I was out in the country yesterday testing/playing on fun roads with the various modes and observed something "new" I found very interesting/useful just cruising down the highway. Traveling to the fun roads took about 1.5 hours each way on the highway. While cruising I killed the boredom by playing with ALL the shock setting modes.

I was astonished at how comfortable/compliant the ride was while cruising the highway in RACE/PTM WET mode. It was GREATLY better than non-PTM TOURING or non-PTM WEATHER settings. Amazingly good at smoothing out everything including small bumps and expansion joints.

I was surprised enough at the ride that I called DSC Sport from the car on my way home to discuss. They were at first surprised at my observation but then said it makes perfect sense. They said their calibrations in RACE/PTM WET are softer than other OEM settings which results in a much better highway ride. They had just never considered trying that setting on the highway.

Bottom line, my "new" go to setting for going up and down a highway is RACE/PTM WET. Very, very comfortable. Not good for aggressive performance driving but game changing for boring highway cruising.

Just wanted to share my observations. C7 owners with magnetic shocks owe it to them selves to get one of the controllers. It truly provides game changing performance improvements. Not "slight" improvements you "think" you can feel but HUGH, real world performance improvements.

FWIW, I'm not affiliated with DSC Sport but am a very satisfied customer.

Rick
Hey Rick - when you called DSC did they indicate they had a new download that provides "launch control" settings? Reason I ask, was at DSC on Friday and Mike installed DSC controller and "new load" on my C7R - have not had a chance to play with chitty weather here in Repulik of Maryland
Old 01-03-2017, 12:39 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
Hey Rick - when you called DSC did they indicate they had a new download that provides "launch control" settings? Reason I ask, was at DSC on Friday and Mike installed DSC controller and "new load" on my C7R - have not had a chance to play with chitty weather here in Repulik of Maryland
I was told they're hoping to have the new download available this week. A users guide is also nearly complete.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:43 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Definitely sub'd
Old 01-03-2017, 12:48 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Sub'd!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

sweet, mine will be here tomorrow! :-)
Old 01-03-2017, 01:12 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

That's interesting news. I'm a pretty tolerant sports car owner but driving my Z for 400 miles over some nasty highway expansion joints was enough to ruin my day. Even in non-PTM Touring I was getting pretty tired of the bone jarring.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:25 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spearfish25
That's interesting news. I'm a pretty tolerant sports car owner but driving my Z for 400 miles over some nasty highway expansion joints was enough to ruin my day. Even in non-PTM Touring I was getting pretty tired of the bone jarring.
Exactly my feelings as well. I couldn't believe the very significant difference I experienced driving the boring miles to the fun roads where I want to get chassis feedback. It gets old....

Once you get to the fun stuff you just turn the **** and you're provided the needed feedback without getting beat up on the way.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:52 PM
samwisemueller
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This is very exciting news! I have my car at TPC as we speak having a unit installed. Mike said the latest updates include launch control (I won't use that) and wi-fi, not 100% on what wi-fi means until I talk to him again.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:59 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by samwisemueller
This is very exciting news! I have my car at TPC as we speak having a unit installed. Mike said the latest updates include launch control (I won't use that) and wi-fi, not 100% on what wi-fi means until I talk to him again.
what wi-fi will provide is the capability to download/upload updates, etc. direct to the controller rather than needing to have a cable connection to do the upload - at least that is what Mike told me on Friday. Again, haven't had a chance to play with chitty weather here in Republik of Maryland
Old 01-03-2017, 03:59 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by samwisemueller
I think it might actually be Bluetooth so that you don't need the USB cable to upload the latest updated software.
Bish
Old 01-03-2017, 04:31 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thebishman
I think it might actually be Bluetooth so that you don't need the USB cable to upload the latest updated software.
Bish
Bish,

No, it's Wi-Fi and a reliable source told me yesterday it's nearly ready. They don't want to release until they're sure it's ready to go without bugs. The blow back from a product with bugs is worse than not offering the feature at all.....

I personally really don't think I'll even use the Wi-Fi as a wired connection is always better. I have a somewhat long USB cable run from the controller through an existing grommet/firewall hole to near the OBD port. I just extend the USB cable to the passenger seat and the laptop.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 05:06 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Any word on how launch control works or what it does exactly with this controller?

I'm probably going to buy one once all these get implemented.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:47 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I had a long talk with them during the holidays and will have LG setup to carry them as well as develop our own "tunes" for the shocks. Looks very promising and from the customer feed back it seems like a very well done product.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm seriously considering this mod. Can you say more about how it transforms the car on the fun roads or speeding on highway sweepers? Also, are they going to charge more to activate the wifi once it's available? Sadly I'm not able to get to the track these days so I'd like to hear about the benefits of street performance other than the added comfort? Is your car also a Z07?

Thank you very much!

Best,
Gene
Old 01-03-2017, 06:29 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

good info to know might be worth checking out if putting on lots of highway miles
Old 01-03-2017, 06:35 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Have you tried the OEM wet modes to compare?

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Shock Controller observations

Old 01-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

If folks want to better understand how the system works here is a little tutorial on the software that I posted after I spent some time with Mike last week.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tutorial.html

I didn't talk about the launch control in this post because I wasn't sure if Mike was ready for it to be discussed publically. However, check out the acceleration table and you can get some feel for how it helps put the power down. The new software will have a couple of additional boxes to help with the additional shock when you launch from a dead stop and are in launch control mode.

Also, you can see in the PTM table where he takes 10% out of the shock in PTM Wet which helps with the ride.

This car is really killer with this suspension.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:52 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Rick, are you controller only or did you do the tractive shocks too?
Old 01-03-2017, 07:01 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Have you tried the OEM wet modes to compare?
I've tried the OEM WEATHER mode and it does not provide anywhere near the level of comfort the DSC controller provides in PTM/WET.

I'm VERY curious about the the comfort level provided by the OEM controller in PTM/WET. I never tried the OEM controller in this setting on the highway before installing the DSC controller. As stated earlier, I just stumbled across the comfort level provided by the DSC controller as I was bored and playing with the vaious modes driving down the highway.

I'm just not sure I'm curious enough to swap out the controllers to find out...

Rick

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Shock Controller observations