C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by ACS55
Tom,
I have a few questions.
Can this oil cooler be used on a '16 C7Z A8?
Can this oil cooler be used in conjuction with the "improved racing oil cooler thermostat"?
Is your annual 15% OFF sale going on at this time?
(I am wanting to get the oil cooler kit and the gen2 Rad)
Thanks, Andy
Yes
Yes
Not yet, Jan 16th
Old 01-08-2017, 12:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyC7Z06
Hotter than Hell to me is defined as the temp needle being just below the top white tick, I'll call it 300degrees. And as far as starting with an oil temp of 150degrees I never saw that. I cruised to the location and Oil temp was 200-205degrees (that's normal to me) 220-250degrees max is also ok but anymore than that and I'm concerned.
I have a wheel setup for drag racing in the garage but I also am looking into Open Road racing and for that I'd like to keep full Aero installed. So basically I was out testing my rig to see what it can take and where it would have weaknesses. So with full aero I went out to make full throttle runs on a 2-1/2 to 3 mile desolate stretch of road that is in excellent condition. I wanted to see my max mph with full aero before I ran out of road and have to slow down. I broke 190 and stayed on it a few more seconds and let off, I immediately slowed turned around pointed at opposite direction glanced at gauges and let it rip. I made it up to 170 and totally knew I wasn't gonna be anywhere close to previous run and I also knew that the SC was gonna get hot also. I slowed down to a 50mph cruise looked at gauge and saw the Oil temp gauge at the top white tick so I pulled over when gauge oil cooled down to middle of gauge. I pulled over and opened hood and was smacked by the unmistakable smell of Hot engine oil. I lit a smoke and let her cool off before the drive home.
The system by G-Speed is exactly what this car would need in the application that I am still pondering and not sure if I want to commit to. But I am still on the fence on that because I personally feel that in that particular application Turbo's would be better as you wouldnt have to worry about keeping supercharger cool for extended periods of time.
I know I asked about Oil cooler but after much thought Oil temp wasn't going to be my only problem. I know IAT's were high so goes the rat killing. One at a time! Thanks everyone for your input as always this forum is awesome!!
Problem solved if you do what Bill does when he goes to the track.

Just drive to where you are going to do your pulls. Shut the engine off. Stand around for a couple of hours watching the Longhorns eat grass. Start you engine when the oil temp is down to 150 degrees and then make your pulls. Then repeat watching the Longhorns eat each time you want to make another three pulls.

See how simple that is.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Problem solved if you do what Bill does when he goes to the track.

Just drive to where you are going to do your pulls. Shut the engine off. Stand around for a couple of hours watching the Longhorns eat grass. Start you engine when the oil temp is down to 150 degrees and then make your pulls. Then repeat watching the Longhorns eat each time you want to make another three pulls.

See how simple that is.
Yeah, but I like most people don't pull over we just keep running for 20 minutes. I am not sure how much waste heat he is generating at his power level but he may also need to determine how efficient his power mods are at producing his higher power levels. I am reminded of what an upstate NY engine builder I knew a long time ago said. He could build an engine that would have equivalent power of the engines built by the NASCAR Cup teams. However, he also said since he couldn't do it as efficiently as they could and his car would start to slow down after a few laps due to heat build up they weren't seeing. In his case he said the efficiency difference was in the air flow through the heads he could achieve Vs what the top engine builders were achieving.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-08-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Yeah, but I like most people don't pull over we just keep running for 20 minutes. I am not sure how much waste heat he is generating at his power level but he may also need to determine how efficient his power mods are at producing his higher power levels. I am reminded of what an upstate NY engine builder I knew a long time ago said. He could build an engine that would have equivalent power of the engines built by the NASCAR Cup teams. However, he also said since he couldn't do it as efficiently as they could and his car would start to slow down after a few laps due to heat build up they weren't seeing. In his case he said the efficiency difference was in the air flow through the heads he could achieve Vs what the top engine builders were achieving.

Bill

No way you can keep running for 20 minutes after getting your temps to 290 degrees and your coolant and oil temp drop to 150 degrees like you earlier posted....."Starting at an oil temp of 150 degrees". You would have to stop your car and turn off the engine. and wait, and wait. The engine coolant thermostat won't let the coolant temp drop to 150 degrees while driving, thus the oil temp can't drop to 150 degrees, since the engine coolant cools the engine oil.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-08-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:15 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by thebishman
Ah, unfortunately my A8 secondary transmission radiator is already there. Wish there was a bracket to 'sandwich' these two.

Bish
We move it to the back of the car....start stacking stuff and you just keep adding weight to the nose and blocking more and more air flow.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (01-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler