C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 PM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Oil Cooler

Anyone find a better way of cooling the oil by way of removing stock oil cooler and installing a more traditional oil cooler?? And if so did it help??
im currently modded to 700RWHP and I made 3 hard pulls from a dig getting used to launching this bad boy. I was out on a desolate road and by the 3rd run the oil temp was hotter than hell!! Didn't go into limp mode or anything like that but seems to me like the current setup does a better job of the oil heating the water than the water cooling the oil.
Anyone????
Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Gspeed
The following users liked this post:
GSpeed (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

There is a new thermostatically controlled adapter that was recently released. Use that in conjunction with a stand alone air/oil cooler and you should be fine. Just need to figure out where to place the core, which isn't easy. Good luck!
Bish

Last edited by thebishman; 01-05-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:34 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyC7Z06
Anyone find a better way of cooling the oil by way of removing stock oil cooler and installing a more traditional oil cooler?? And if so did it help??
im currently modded to 700RWHP and I made 3 hard pulls from a dig getting used to launching this bad boy. I was out on a desolate road and by the 3rd run the oil temp was hotter than hell!! Didn't go into limp mode or anything like that but seems to me like the current setup does a better job of the oil heating the water than the water cooling the oil.
Anyone????
The only solution we've found that REALLY works (not just for a few pulls, but at full power for an extended period of time) is to move the intercooler radiators out under the headlights which improves airflow to both the engine radiator and intercooler radiators, and putting oil coolers behind those intercooler radiators. It would be great if there was a way to give the oil coolers fresh air as well, but given the higher fluid temperatures, there's still enough delta-T in the air coming off the back of the intercooler heat exchangers to effectively cool the oil.

Even then, if you want to run full track sessions in 100°+ summer weather, the radiator needs to be much larger. Our Stage II cooling system actually breaks the radiator up into two pieces in a "V" arrangement to get as much airflow as possible.

"Conventional" oil coolers like you're talking about are a step in the right direction, but just aren't enough to provide significant improvement.

Yeah, it's a problem the aftermarket shouldn't have to solve for GM, but we solved it anyway.

Here's the Stage I Cooling System we sell, with links to the development thread and upgrades for engine oil coolers, Stage II radiators, and transmission cooler upgrade for the A8 cars.
WzUpDoc (01-07-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 02:43 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Anyone????
Highway runs? 1/2 mile stuff? or Road course work?

Really depends on what you are doing with the car as to what parts might be NEEDED to solve the issue on the car.

Also, manual or automatic?

Is it just the oil that is getting warm? Of course on the dash that and engine water temp are the only ones you are really going to see, the blower temp is going to require HP Tuners or similar to read those temps.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...torsports.html

Cooling packages on this car is something we have been working on since summer of 2015 and have sorted and a number of different options.

(complete package shown below)

We also have a stand alone oil cooler too, for those that might not need something so elaborate too.

WzUpDoc (01-07-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 PM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow! I can't believe I overlooked the thread on this product!! I'll be in touch so we can discuss. Thank you!!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 AM
ptcohen
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Another option is Dewitts air to oil cooler... It works so well that I am installing a thermostat since I can't get oil temps above 160...
Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Highway runs? 1/2 mile stuff? or Road course work?

Really depends on what you are doing with the car as to what parts might be NEEDED to solve the issue on the car.

Also, manual or automatic?

Is it just the oil that is getting warm? Of course on the dash that and engine water temp are the only ones you are really going to see, the blower temp is going to require HP Tuners or similar to read those temps.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...torsports.html

Cooling packages on this car is something we have been working on since summer of 2015 and have sorted and a number of different options.

(complete package shown below)

We also have a stand alone oil cooler too, for those that might not need something so elaborate too.

Any recommendations on where your stand alone air/oil cooler could be located?

TIA,
Bish
Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ptcohen
Another option is Dewitts air to oil cooler... It works so well that I am installing a thermostat since I can't get oil temps above 160...
Could you tell us where the DeWitts oil cooler is located?

Thanks,
Bish
Old 01-06-2017, 12:43 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by thebishman
Any recommendations on where your stand alone air/oil cooler could be located?

TIA,
Bish
We mount it laying down in front of the radiator, where the secondary radiator would sit.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Anyone????
What is hotter than hell? Maybe what you think is hot and what is actually hot are two different things. I ran my stock car in low to mid 90s temps for 20 minutes at a time making quite a few WOT pulls per lap and never saw the oil go higher than mid 270s. That is far from being over temp. Starting at an oil temp of 150 degrees 3 hard pulls wouldn't gotten the oil near that level. Hard to see how 45 seconds of hard pulling with a 700 RWHP engine can get the oil hotter than 20 minutes of doing the same with a stock engine.

Bill
Old 01-06-2017, 02:46 PM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What is hotter than hell? Maybe what you think is hot and what is actually hot are two different things. I ran my stock car in low to mid 90s temps for 20 minutes at a time making quite a few WOT pulls per lap and never saw the oil go higher than mid 270s. That is far from being over temp. Starting at an oil temp of 150 degrees 3 hard pulls wouldn't gotten the oil near that level. Hard to see how 45 seconds of hard pulling with a 700 RWHP engine can get the oil hotter than 20 minutes of doing the same with a stock engine.

Bill
Hotter than Hell to me is defined as the temp needle being just below the top white tick, I'll call it 300degrees. And as far as starting with an oil temp of 150degrees I never saw that. I cruised to the location and Oil temp was 200-205degrees (that's normal to me) 220-250degrees max is also ok but anymore than that and I'm concerned.
I have a wheel setup for drag racing in the garage but I also am looking into Open Road racing and for that I'd like to keep full Aero installed. So basically I was out testing my rig to see what it can take and where it would have weaknesses. So with full aero I went out to make full throttle runs on a 2-1/2 to 3 mile desolate stretch of road that is in excellent condition. I wanted to see my max mph with full aero before I ran out of road and have to slow down. I broke 190 and stayed on it a few more seconds and let off, I immediately slowed turned around pointed at opposite direction glanced at gauges and let it rip. I made it up to 170 and totally knew I wasn't gonna be anywhere close to previous run and I also knew that the SC was gonna get hot also. I slowed down to a 50mph cruise looked at gauge and saw the Oil temp gauge at the top white tick so I pulled over when gauge oil cooled down to middle of gauge. I pulled over and opened hood and was smacked by the unmistakable smell of Hot engine oil. I lit a smoke and let her cool off before the drive home.
The system by G-Speed is exactly what this car would need in the application that I am still pondering and not sure if I want to commit to. But I am still on the fence on that because I personally feel that in that particular application Turbo's would be better as you wouldnt have to worry about keeping supercharger cool for extended periods of time.
I know I asked about Oil cooler but after much thought Oil temp wasn't going to be my only problem. I know IAT's were high so goes the rat killing. One at a time! Thanks everyone for your input as always this forum is awesome!!
Old 01-06-2017, 02:56 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Suggestion: When you are making your high speed runs, put the dash display in touring mode and select performance. You will see an actual digital readout of the important engine parameters instead of the analog gauges being "at the top of white tick."
Old 01-06-2017, 08:16 PM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 383vett
Suggestion: When you are making your high speed runs, put the dash display in touring mode and select performance. You will see an actual digital readout of the important engine parameters instead of the analog gauges being "at the top of white tick."
Good suggestion thanks! I hadn't thought of that since I never have it in touring and I have everything set up to link to mode so next week I'll try that once I remove all aero and see how stabil the car feels at high speed. Forums are good for info but something's you just have to find out yourself.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Could you tell us where the DeWitts oil cooler is located?

Thanks,
Bish

http://www.dewitts.com/collections/c...ducts/1139114m

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 01-06-2017 at 08:43 PM.
WzUpDoc (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 01:04 PM
vette.uae
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Tom does this fit c7z A8? Would you still recommend it for warm weather at Average of 96F for track use?

I am interested in a single best solution with budgetary limitations ..
Old 01-07-2017, 05:17 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
We mount it laying down in front of the radiator, where the secondary radiator would sit.
Ah, unfortunately my A8 secondary transmission radiator is already there. Wish there was a bracket to 'sandwich' these two.

Bish

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Cooler

Old 01-07-2017, 05:34 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by vette.uae
Hi Tom does this fit c7z A8? Would you still recommend it for warm weather at Average of 96F for track use?

I am interested in a single best solution with budgetary limitations ..
For 96F ambient track use in A8 Z06 this will not do it. Look for GSpeed solution which uses Dewitt coolers. They have a very detailed thread on this topic. Cooling A8 Z06 at the track is more complex than you think.
GSpeed (01-09-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:18 PM
ptcohen
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ah, unfortunately my A8 secondary transmission radiator is already there. Wish there was a bracket to 'sandwich' these two.

Bish

Mine is installed in front of the A8 cooler and it works really well....
thebishman (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:02 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Tom,
I have a few questions.
Can this oil cooler be used on a '16 C7Z A8?
Can this oil cooler be used in conjuction with the "improved racing oil cooler thermostat"?
Is your annual 15% OFF sale going on at this time?
(I am wanting to get the oil cooler kit and the gen2 Rad)
Thanks, Andy

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler