C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What is the best air intake for Z06

Old 01-30-2017, 03:16 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 584 Likes on 515 Posts

Halltech !!!!!!!!

Contact us for pricing!

-Josh
Old 01-30-2017, 06:49 PM
gonzala
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The bad: I must say again that I watched the you tube haltech install videos many times!!! I loosened the radiator hose clamp and twisted the radiator hose as far away from the air box as possible. Your video said be careful not to twist it too much as it could cramp the hose. And yes, still, the hose is touching the air box. So, what is your video going to suggest to fix this? This is not my first CAI install on a vette. I took my time and since im a perfectionist, wanted to get it right. Seems no matter what I did to follow the many different vids out there. It isn't perfect. My hood is still raised on the passenger side and the rad hose is significantly touching the box. The good: no codes where showing and the car is very much different. Worried this summer the touching of the hose and box could negatively effect the temps and it will run less well.

Last edited by gonzala; 01-30-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzala
The bad: I must say again that I watched the you tube halltech install videos many times!!! I loosened the radiator hose clamp and twisted the radiator hose as far away from the air box as possible. Your video said be careful not to twist it too much as it could cramp the hose. And yes, still, the hose is touching the air box. So, what is your video going to suggest to fix this? This is not my first CAI install on a vette. I took my time and since im a perfectionist, wanted to get it right. Seems no matter what I did to follow the many different vids out there. It isn't perfect. My hood is still raised on the passenger side and the rad hose is significantly touching the box. The good: no codes where showing and the car is very much different. Worried this summer the touching of the hose and box could negatively effect the temps and it will run less well.
I am known for finding ways to make impossible things happen... and let me just say, I spent hours trying to get the radiator hose twisted, tweaked, torqued, zip tied in multiple locations, even got it crooked on the water neck to try and get it away from the air box...to no avail.
I have the solution in my head now, but I am not going to break the coolant seal until I install my 70mm dewitt radiator and lower temp therm., a few weeks down the road. I will drain the coolant and do my "lower radiator hose mod" at the same time. It is going to involve cutting the lower radiator hose, extending, or using a different 90 deg hose section, or something.
After all of my initial effort, the box and the air inlet tube still RESTED against the lower radiator hose. Because of this, i COMPLETELY covered the lower radiator hose with heat insulation, and then doubled up on the insulation where the box and tube rested against the radiator hose. As I said before, i will be addressing this later and fixing it for good.

Originally Posted by Halltech
What was your best speed with the TRIC and Stinger-RZ?
My best MPH with the Halltech CAI and the TRIC was 134.53mph @ +255DA on 1/28/17 @ Temple Raceway.
(I will say that my car MPH's 2 mph faster at San Antonio, vs. Temple Raceway. I will be trying to get down there very soon, to San Antonio.)

+73 RWHP
+92 lb-ft
10.39 @ ?
Call me at 262-965-4300
This specific run was 10.39@133.29

Originally Posted by bob53
I too was told it was my install error after I had fitment issues - the fit is marginal, particularly how the box is sealed against the post-filter intake tube and how the box seals against the bulkhead.

I think the theory behind the Halltech (biggest filter, velocity stack) is superior but the design, execution, and installation documentation of the AFE is better.

My input re: how to make the Halltech better would be as follows:
1. Design a spacer into the box and stack to ensure the radiator hose does not directly contact the intake wall
2. Redesign the airbox with a flange to seal against the bulkhead that also permits attachment of the TRIC on the other side of the bulkhead.
3. Design a better seal between the box and velocity stack.
4. Create more comprehensive instructions that are done before product release - these should be on a PDF or in a single online video.
I agree with all of the above:
Design is superior.
1. I agree the hose needs to NOT touch the box or air inlet tube. Modification of the hose will be my permanent fix for this, but this is not user friendly.
2.a. I also agree there should be a flange where the box fits against the apron. Mine did not fit flush, and the weatherstrip was insufficient to seal the underhood air out, so I purchased 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick automotive foam weatherstrip and sealed it myself. Still, a properly formed flange would be a far better finished product.
2.b. As far as a positive seal from the HT CAI to the TRIC, it just is NOT THAT EASY. There are many huge cavernous air leaks and obstacles between where the Halltech Air Box attaches to the Apron, and where the TRIC attaches (12" lower). Remove your air box and remove the inner fender liner and look up in there and you will see what I mean.
It is "near impossible" to get a air tight seal between the TRIC and the HT CAI.
3. I also noted the seal issue in my review of this product. The seal is not tight and there is an open seam on the end. This should be a ring seal and should fit more snugly to positively seal all engine compartment air out of the box.
4. Instructions: There were no instructions supplied with the box that I received new. I still like to read paper instructions... The do not need to be "published", but simply several copied pages stapled together would suffice for me. If this is not practical or possible, at least print a sheet of paper that clearly shows where to find videos and PDF instructions. I watched the video instructions but still ended up "reinventing the wheel" (having to do it my way) in several ways. The lower radiator hose, the hard plastic line, etc.
5. I have had the Halltech CAI off and back on a few times since my first install... I purposefully push down on the box while tightening the bolts, etc... but my hood will still not close on the passenger side with a gentle drop, but instead you have to close it a bit harder to make both sides engage... or go over to the passenger side and push down on the corner of the hood.

I am still gathering track data on the TRIC, my first visit to the drags after installing it, my car actually ran SLOWER than I expected (of course it was at a track I had never visited before or since). The last to trips to the drags, my car was significantly faster than before the TRIC. I am going to get one more drag strip visit in, and this time to San Antonio, before I do my final analysis.

I will state it again, I am definitely a believer in the Halltech CAI. My own experimentation and documentation has convinced me, simple as that.
The following 2 users liked this post by ACS55:
AZGASSER (01-30-2017), gonzala (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:21 PM
gonzala
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Fantastic write up sir!!! Thank you for your detail and goal of precision. I feel better that I am not alone with my frustration yet pleased with the performance despite the difficulty. I don't feel like taking the unit on and off but may need to do so to follow your lead and put heat insulation tape on the hose and box. The air tube does not seem to be touching the hose. Many thanks AC!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:19 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 301 Likes on 138 Posts

1) Good idea, but the video will show how to move the hose far away from the airbox.
2) We provide a 44" seal with each kit that seals the F-panel where it is attached to the airbox entrance.
3) This is one of our goals. The 3M tape we use is heat activated, and we have no problem getting it to seat and seal with our giant flamer. The customer does not have ready access to this type of heat, unless a hair dryer is used. It will stick when applied correctly, but only once, then it is ruined. The only way to resurrect it is to use Weatherstripping sealant once it has been removed.
4) We have had the video instructions available since day one, and a pdf file shortly after that. We might have to revisit this to make things clearer, or more comprehensive.

By the way. Halltech has been a forum sponsor for almost 18 years, and has purchased 12 Corvettes in that time to get this right for the forum. We obviously need improvement here, which I think you will see with the video of the airbox clearance. By comparison, our competition borrows a car for their intake, then returns it to the owner. Why would the forum decide to purchase intakes from a non-supporting vendor that could care less about sales here. The forum represents 99% of our sales.

One P0106 code and it ends sales? Really? The fellow that posted that issue was one of our first customers, back in 1999. We spoke by phone and email about his code at length, and my advice was to start by replacing the sensor. He replaced the MAF sensor instead. That code is related to the Manifold Absolute Pressure. https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-john-nelson Have I missed the other members that have posted this code with our intake?

We spent $102,000 on our Z07 (granted we went overboard, but that was the only one available at the time). We have been long term testing now for 2 years and 8600 miles, trouble free.

We have a 17 Z06 in our shop that we are installing the TRIC and Stinger-RZ package, and will get an improved video and pdf instruction manual. Then we the snow stops here in WI, we'll get some road testing.

Jim
Jim, please understand I (and others here) are trying to provide constructive feedback, not negative reviews. Many of us feel the theory behind your product is superior but I can tell you my airbox has never sealed well against the bulkhead nor the velocity stack. It should not require the end-user to tinker - it should just work.

FWIW I have an engineering background, grew up restoring muscle cars, and in my "free time" I advise a fortune 500 company re: product development and R&D. I'm sure there are more accomplished auto mechanics here but if someone like me has a hard time with the finer points of this install, I'm guessing I am not alone.

I appreciate your commitment to your product and your dedication to this forum. I just think there is room for improvement on the last 5% to make your product end-user proof.
The following users liked this post:
Halltech (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 12:13 AM
2highpsi
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
AFE all the way. Fitment is perfect.

Does the AFE seal to the inner fender just like the stocker?
Old 01-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by h3mpking
Jim, I also had the P0106 several times with my 2017 Z06 at speed. Once at an event where I waited 4 hours in line to run the standing mile, once at a half mile event, and once in the street. Every time a reduced engine power warning was displayed at speed around 130ish MPH. After the 3rd time of getting the warning, the intake came off until there is a solution.
What other mods do you have other then the Halltech CAI?

Just trying to help with determining what's going on with 2017Z's

We know that 2017 Z's have a slightly different tune, taller Super Charger Lid and redesigned location of the intercoolers.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2017, 10:48 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,528 Likes on 521 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by phantasms
Sadly yes.

I was one of the first buyers of their CAI. It had a number of fitment issues. I was told I was doing it wrong. They later said they messed up first batch and it was all good now. I bought the newer one. Much much better fit but still way too close to radiator hoses no matter what I did. I was told I'm doing it wrong. Now I heard they are redesigning the box to fit better. Do I dare purchase a 3rd one from them??? They should offer to change out the box I currently have for free. We'll see what happens.

It sure does make serious power though. Transforms the car and makes it more fun to drive. That said, it's sitting on my shelf and I'll probably sell it like I did the last. Maybe I'll go filter till I hit 100k miles and then game on.

My only worry with filter only is that people seem to say it's better at first but gets clogged more and faster than the stock filter so over time its worse than stock. ...but people say a lot of ****.

Best,
Gene

I'm looking forward to your impressions as I'll probably go this way if convinced.

Best,
Gene
Gene, have you thought about trying the aFe intake since consensus is that it fits better, although the halltech maybe by design yields a couple extra hp? But the aFe is still a larger gain over stock?
Old 01-31-2017, 12:04 PM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

My AFE fit perfect! Customer Service is top-notch!
Old 01-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Radiator Hose Position Provides Airbox Clearance

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 01-31-2017 at 12:24 PM.
phantasms (02-06-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 12:25 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Does the Nomex Sock actually do anything?

Old 01-31-2017, 12:33 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

My AFE fits very well and it is flush to the fender.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:54 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

I chose AFE after speaking with manufacturer, and this was in 2015, when first buying the car. I now have 12,000 miles on the car (I have several cars, so drive each reducing time spent in any one) and have had no problems, but clearly feel the difference. Putting it on was very easy and it fit well. Best

Originally Posted by 2017Z06
Hello,

I just received my new 2017 Z06 a few weeks ago. What is the best air intake that provides most power? Looking to buying a kit very soon.

Last edited by RBK; 01-31-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:54 PM
See06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

A friend of mine took his Halltech off and I helped him install the AFE and fits 100% better. The Halltech looks a larger diameter which is why it may make more power. Keep in mind a lot of the power is coming from it learning out the AFsand not just the intake. The tube is larger than the factory diameter which the factory MAF is calibrated for, basically more air is going in than the amount of fuel that is added= Leaner
Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default The best

The best quality and fit:

https://www.halltechsystems.com/Prod...uctCode=HSTCFV
Old 01-31-2017, 04:25 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for the videos and further clarification, Jim.
I will be giving this a go.
Either way, I will not be removing my HT CAI. I am now addicted to the power, and I want more.
Halltech (01-31-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Bowtie52
Acct suspended by request 11 April 2019

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017Z06
Hello,

I just received my new 2017 Z06 a few weeks ago. What is the best air intake that provides most power? Looking to buying a kit very soon.
I have a 2017 Z06 M7 and I have the AFe and no codes thrown and I'm happy with it.
Al3x_666 (02-01-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best air intake for Z06

Old 02-01-2017, 04:52 PM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie52
I have a 2017 Z06 M7 and I have the AFe and no codes thrown and I'm happy with it.

Do you go 125+ MPH often?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:00 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Gene, have you thought about trying the aFe intake since consensus is that it fits better, although the halltech maybe by design yields a couple extra hp? But the aFe is still a larger gain over stock?
I have. I dunno maybe I'll go in that direction. I was overall turned off to the intakes when, despite the car feeling very strong, I had a very unsuccessful go of it at the track. MPH was way down at a great track with a low DA and yes I very much can drive. I got a code there as well. I was wishing I brought along the stock intake the whole time. Also I'm a little afraid of the lean conditions that these things tend to do. I figured I'd hold off on the intakes until I finally say F it and tune the thing. Then again maybe I'll try out the old AFE...people do seem happier as a whole. Anyone want to buy a gold heat shield wrapped Halltech 2nd gen with a couple thousand miles?

Originally Posted by z06_Juan
"but people say a lot of ****" hahah

by sitting too close to the radiator hoses; what do you mean by this? how does it negatively effect the intake?
Sitting too close is one thing. Hoses touching are another. I moved the hoses a large amount upon install and got a bit of room. Some time later on I opened the hood while the car was hot and saw the hoses were pushing right on the box. This can't be good for a number of reasons.

p.s. is ACS55 3Z06ZR1??? I'm just playing. ACS55 is awesome and a hell of a driver.

Best,
Gene
Old 02-01-2017, 05:52 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

That made me chuckle, Gene I don't think 3Z'd be caught dead in an auto though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the best air intake for Z06