C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tony Mamo Ported TB installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:19 PM
young_gun05
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 16 z06/7 with the halltech car and corsa x-pipe. I installed the TM throttle body about 6 - 8 months ago. Before the TB I found there was a significant throttle lag (mostly starting from a complete start) that was so bad I nearly stalled the car more in a few months than any other manual car I've ever owned. Also, when I got my z I was coming from a 16 z51 m7 and when compared to my z51 the z had horrible lag off the line. The TM TB was the last mod I added but should have been the first! I don't know if there were any power gains (though several people claim there are gains) but strictly judging based on drivability the TM TB is a must!!! The lag is 100 times better off the line (& through the entire power band) and I have had 0 issues with the mods; no driveability, lag, or CEL issues. Great product!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:53 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

Tony, care to comment on your TB v a 103mm one. I have p/p TB and have been very happy with it. I also have a Haltech, pullies, headers, so my airflow is up there. Any advantage to going with a larger TB?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 904 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
Tony, care to comment on your TB v a 103mm one. I have p/p TB and have been very happy with it. I also have a Haltech, pullies, headers, so my airflow is up there. Any advantage to going with a larger TB?
Thanks in advance.
Assuming we are discussing a boosted LT4 application, the larger TB will not work without porting the entry of the blower and also running on a factory tune is completely out of the question

Its alot more work than most people are up for and it seems the majority of the folks I help are looking for an upgrade that doesnt need or require a tune which can void a warranty potentially. That eliminates the 100+ mm TB's almost immediately from most consumers looking

The OEM TB properly ported is a huge upgrade as many of your fellow forum members have tried to convey and describe....someone called it a "game changer" in one of their reviews and I felt that was a very appropriate description....it really should be one of the first mods you consider for a 7th gen Vette. It improves the drive quality, responsiveness, and enjoyment of the car immensely and the car is legitimately faster after the install (your butt meter isn't lying guys). A 15% increase in airflow in front of the blower adds about 12-15 RWTQ and HP to the bottom line.....I have seen some independent testing show a great deal higher than that but Im going to call it conservatively 12-15 RWTQ and RWHP across the curve.

Also just wanted to thank the guys that own my product that took the time to post up.....much appreciated!

-Tony

PS.....Here was a good A/B test on the same dyno....same day.....TB literally switched from stock to my ported unit right on the dyno.....very ideal conditions to monitor changes/improvements etc.

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 03-18-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:53 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Assuming we are discussing a boosted LT4 application, the larger TB will not work without porting the entry of the blower and also running on a factory tune is completely out of the question

Its alot more work than most people are up for and it seems the majority of the folks I help are looking for an upgrade that doesnt need or require a tune which can void a warranty potentially. That eliminates the 100+ mm TB's almost immediately from most consumers looking

The OEM TB properly ported is a huge upgrade as many of your fellow forum members have tried to convey and describe....someone called it a "game changer" in one of their reviews and I felt that was a very appropriate description....it really should be one of the first mods you consider for a 7th gen Vette. It improves the drive quality, responsiveness, and enjoyment of the car immensely and the car is legitimately faster after the install (your butt meter isn't lying guys). A 15% increase in airflow in front of the blower adds about 12-15 RWTQ and HP to the bottom line.....I have seen some independent testing show a great deal higher than that but Im going to call it conservatively 12-15 RWTQ and RWHP across the curve.

Also just wanted to thank the guys that own my product that took the time to post up.....much appreciated!

-Tony

PS.....Here was a good A/B test on the same dyno....same day.....TB literally switched from stock to my ported unit right on the dyno.....very ideal conditions to monitor changes/improvements etc.

I looked at your sight but did see a price. Can you tell me how much and if the OEM one is sent back to you?
Old 03-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I looked at your sight but did see a price. Can you tell me how much and if the OEM one is sent back to you?
I just PM'ed you

-Tony
The following users liked this post:
cheapthrills (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 PM
RULOOKIN
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default mamo

Finally got time to install mine on my 2017 Z06 , !! install went smooth, car started right up , no codes , weather is not corvette friendly up here in Canada yet , but all good so far idles and revs nice !
Nice work on porting tony !!
Old 04-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Chad-Z06
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

-Tony

Im interested in the Ported TB. I have a 16' Z06 W/ (200cell) AFE High-Flow main cat pipes, Borla X-pipe & Halltech CAI. Would adding this along with the other mods cause a lean condition?

Last edited by Chad-Z06; 04-06-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:41 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

I'd like to see a comparison between TM and Katech's ported TBs in terms of HP gains and actual feel. It appears Katech goes a little farther and flattens out the blade mount and screws (not sure if this has any more of an advantage over just ported the inlet diameter, and they also claim it doesn't need a tune), and Katech's is also cheaper. TM = $390, Katech = $299 (and they may even take off a little more if you send in your core). Scratching my head trying to figure out what the advantage of paying $100 more for TM is when Katech is cheaper and seems to do more work on the TB. Hopefully someone can give some insight to this including Tony. Weapon-X also has a version that looks like does the same as TM, and is only $250 if you send them your TB.

See below for comparison between Katech (on left) and a stock TB (on right).

Last edited by DomLS3; 04-06-2018 at 05:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C7Me (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 05:43 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts
Default Ptb

Do a Google search or just read this complete thread and I think you'll find what you need
Old 04-06-2018, 06:30 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 480 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Old 04-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Chad-Z06
Im interested in the Ported TB. I have a 16' Z06 W/ (200cell) AFE High-Flow main cat pipes, Borla X-pipe & Halltech CAI. Would adding this along with the other mods cause a lean condition?
No....your MAF would see the extra air from the TB and command the ECU to dwell the injectors longer to compensate.

In a speed density system however this kind of upgrade would be a problem but just about every GM performance car I know is MAF based so there is a device in line actually measuring the airflow consumed.

Hundreds of guys out there with a big grin after installing my TB....30 days to try it yourself risk free. This is one of those (not typical to come across) no brainer mods....don't over think it

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 04-06-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:42 AM
RoketRdr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

No....your MAF would see the extra air from the TB and command the ECU to dwell the injectors longer to compensate.

In a speed density system however this kind of upgrade would be a problem but just about every GM performance car I know is MAF based so there is a device in line actually measuring the airflow consumed.

Hundreds of guys out there with a big grin after installing my TB....30 days to try it yourself risk free. This is one of those (not typical to come across) no brainer mods....don't over think it

Cheers,
Tony
Tony, not sure that you caught it but he has high flow main cats. Would those or main cat deletes cause a problem if using high flow filter/CAI, X-pipe and ported TB? That's going to be too much flow and setting constant codes isn't it?
Old 04-07-2018, 05:13 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
Tony, not sure that you caught it but he has high flow main cats. Would those or main cat deletes cause a problem if using high flow filter/CAI, X-pipe and ported TB? That's going to be too much flow and setting constant codes isn't it?
At some point you have too many mods and the engine is moving more air at certain throttle position(s) than the GM engineers allowed in their parameter code and the ECM throw a dash code/CEL etc. Knowing what all this guy has already done I would have sent him a slightly more conservative version of my TB to give him the best chance he has at sneaking under the radar so to speak (I sent him an email stating that btw).

However the TB should be one of the first things done and everything else piled on top of that until the engine says "Uncle" and throws a code because without a doubt the approach I take to modifying and porting the housing bore (which is proprietary to my TB's of course) is hands down the biggest SOTP improvement your going to get if you would individually check and evaluate every mod mentioned here simply on its own merit.

The OEM TB is flawed from the factory with an abysmal shaped housing bore....so badly in fact that non car guys notice the lag and how wrong it feels out of the box having to almost relearn driving a manual transmission just to do a work around of sorts due to all the inherent problems with the OEM TB. It's reeeaaallly bad in OEM trim....about as far from a performance TB as I have ever seen (because it was a stocking GM item installed on trucks making half the power and was never designed with any performance intent in mind).

Thankfully all my shouting from the rooftops pay off in some respects (no doubt I have sold quite a few of these) but I just cant stress how good a single improvement it is.....Alot of times Im forced to type the same things over and over again because most people unfortunately are lazy and don't even take the time to read the threads and educate themselves more before shooting off a bunch of questions that have been answered 5X or more in the very same thread they are posting in. The guys that really get it are the guys that actually installed it on their car and I thank all of you who have taken the time to post and share their feedback. It gets a bit tiring always carrying the ball yourself and trying to punch it through the end zone on your own every time.....LOL

OK...Im stepping off the soap box now

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 04-07-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:18 AM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 480 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Tony, as jtpolosi posted above what would make yours better than Katech’s PTB for the price difference?

Last edited by C7Me; 04-07-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:16 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I believe the price difference is because its a outright price, no core charge. I could be wrong
Old 04-07-2018, 03:40 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I've only used the TM but I love it. It's a one time expense that has made driving the car a pleasure. I have an m7 and it was well worth it to me. I can't tell you what's better. Here's a thread that compared the 2 and there are a few more if you search.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vs-katech.html
Old 04-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

I went with katech because it was readily available where as TM the turn around time was way long because i believe he said he didn't have any TB's in stock to port to send out so i had to send my own. That would have taken way too long as i was on vacation from work so i wanted to drive the car while i was off. That was a big part of why i went with katech.

Also katech was much cheaper and this is no offense to TM. I've watched his posts for a while now and he definitely knows his stuff. But katech is such a reputable name, it's a no brainer to go with a big name company. Regardless if the porting work is "the same".

1 full year and about 4000 miles later, the car hasn't skipped a beat. No leaks, no codes, no hiccups. It's great.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 04-07-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tony Mamo Ported TB installed

Old 04-07-2018, 05:06 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkbyteLT4
I believe the price difference is because its a outright price, no core charge. I could be wrong
No core charge on either...
Old 04-09-2018, 09:43 AM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

Still waiting on an answer between TM vs Katech? I'm looking to order this week.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:14 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I'm guessing you're going to have to figure this one out with a little research. I doubt either of these vendors would badmouth the other. They're both great to deal with. I have purchased products from both and been satisfied with their products and their service. There are a lot of reviews on both and people that have purchased both.

Quick Reply: Tony Mamo Ported TB installed