C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tony Mamo Ported TB installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:47 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Man....when I get new sexy go fast parts and I cant wait to rip the package open....LOL

You have more self control than I do!!

Maybe you can just open it on Xmas to check it out!

Cheers,
Tony
I may do that. I have a leaky clutch slave so I had to pull the main cat off to tighten it. Instead of getting better it got worse. Now I'm thinking I have to pull everything from the motor back out! That's the only reason I haven't already tried it.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MlwYlw
looks like prices went up from the $299 on earlier pages this year to $390. I will wait for a gently used on on the classifieds.
Just for clarification that price was an introductory special I offered a year ago that didn't include freight (my current shipped price of $390 does include freight).

It was clearly stated at the time prices were going higher and that my special introductory pricing was meant to jump-start the market in an attempt to get some feedback right away about a product I knew was going to do extremely well. This TB is a game changer on the 7th Gen Vette as most of you who have installed one already know. Its the best low buck mod on the planet for these vehicles without question as it cures a major issue from GM which is the horrible cast shape of the TB in stock trim.

Anyway....Im not going to rehash the half a dozen upsides to installing one but I wanted to clarify the price situation posted above. Also, due to supply and demand and GM switching vendors mid year, the price of the new cores are alot higher now as well which also drove the price up a couple of times last year and that was also explained to you guys over the course of this thread and I prepared you for those price increases the few times it happened.

My current price wont move unless GM decides to move prices again and they very well might as they review and change pricing based on the laws of economics once a month (literally).

The SOTP gains and "fun factor" experienced from this upgrade are worth 3X the cost and as a reminder to perhaps a new potential buyer considering this mod, I offer a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't feel it was worth every penny send it back to me for a full refund.....I stand behind the product.

That's it guys....hope all of you are having an awesome Xmas and want to wish all of you Happy Holidays

2017 was an exciting year and 2018 is shapping up to look just as promising!

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 12-25-2017 at 08:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
AllFlash (02-11-2018), MarkRacerX (01-09-2018), Paul R (01-10-2018), Zap City (01-09-2018)
Old 12-26-2017, 09:27 AM
Vyper340
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This upgrade cannot be understated - it is by far the best one of the "low cost" ones to do (CAI, X-pipe, etc.) regardless of the price. Without a dyno and only a seat of the pants feel, I can only say that it feels much more spirited. I cannot keep the tires hooked up most of the time even in Track Sport 1 which is how we drove at Spring Mountain with no issues. There is a definite improvement with the TB and this upgrade is SO SO SO worth it! Thanks Tony!!
Old 12-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Tony, thank you so much for the great product! The throttle response is so much better on the m7. Unbelievable it doesn’t come from the factory like this, such an awesome mod.

Last edited by Cercone; 12-26-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:19 PM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Christmas install

Even though I received it just days after ordering it from Tony I waited to open it on xmas day with my lil girl since it said from Santa. What a work of beauty as you can see the difference between stock and Tony's. Well worth it as you have read about the flow testing and others testimonies.
The following users liked this post:
MarkRacerX (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 05:32 PM
MarkRacerX
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, big dif!

Looks great, I had one of his on my CTS-V, made huge dif in daily driving even, looking fwd to doing the same for my Z06 !

Keep up the great job Tony !!
Old 01-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Paul R
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I know that I am just reiterating what so many others have said, but I got my TMPT in mid December and installed it over Christmas. It smoothed out any hesitation and lag in throttle response that I had in my M7 Z06. Very noticeable difference. I always knew there was a bit of hesitation when upshifting in low gears at part throttle, but did not realize how extreme it was until I installed this TB. Totally eliminated the hesitation and accelerates much more smoothly.

This mod is truly a game changer.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:15 AM
BeardWS6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice, which CAI do you guys recommend also. I just bought my 2017 ZO6/ZO7 A8. Love it!!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:41 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default A8 does not need a ptb (IMO) but I tried one for PERFORMANCE!

IMO you don't need one if you have an A8; no clutch to let out which may bog/stall the engine. You just give the A8 more throttle if you want to accelerate more which in slow bumper to bumper traffic you may not want to do.

I have an A8 and I tried one for 'performance purposes' with the machined down shaft which makes the throttle opening truly larger. All the PTBs are not made any larger from the throttle plate/blade on back so by machining down the throttle shaft it does increase the throttle body opening size. That PTB worked great, it gave me more off idle response in normal driving due to more air flow sooner which with the A8 would of only required pressing on the pedal a little more. I found at the drag strip where you go from idle to the floor with the pedal in a heart beat that I picked up zero in the 60' & 1/4 mile. So I took it off and now it's back in the box and on the shelf.

I have seen a thread here lately which I believe the brand mentioned here the most did pick up power down low due to the higher air flow just off idle on the dyno, but after that bump it made the same HP the rest of the way up the chart as the stock throttle body.

I got to thinking that the extra air flow/power at that throttle position may not be good in the long run for the A8 transmission 'factory programing' (to much to soon) and that is the real reason I remove it.

Bottom Line:
At the drag strip it did not give me any gain and in the real world with an A8 if you want to accelerate faster than just push down on the pedal more.

Here's a time slip without a PTB but I did have an AFE cai with the 'low flow filter' installed.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 01-12-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:46 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
IMO you don't need one if you have an A8; no clutch to let out which may bog/stall the engine. You just give the A8 more throttle if you want to accelerate more which in slow bumper to bumper traffic you may not want to do.

I have an A8 and I tried one for 'performance purposes' with the machined down shaft which makes the opening truly larger. All the PTBs are not made any larger from the throttle plate/blade on back so by machining down the throttle shaft it does increase the throttle body opening size. That PTB worked great, it gave me more off idle response in normal driving due to more air flow sooner which with the A8 would of only required pressing on the pedal a little more. I found at the drag strip where you go from idle to the floor with the pedal in a heart beat that I picked up zero in the 60' & 1/4 mile. So I took it off and now it's back in the box and on the shelf.

I have seen a thread here lately which I believe the brand mentioned here the most did pick up power down low due to the higher air flow off idle on the dyno but after that it made the same HP the rest of the way up the chart as the stocker.

I got to thinking that the extra air flow/power at that throttle position may not be good in the long run for the A8 transmission 'factory programing' (to much to soon) and that is the real reason I remove it.

Bottom Line:
At the drag strip it did not give me any gain and in the real world with an A8 if you want to accelerate faster than just push down on the pedal more.

Here's a time slip without a PTB but I did have the AFE cai with the 'low filter' installed.

Just so I understand. You're saying you tried a different throttle body form another vendor so you don't think this one will help with an A8?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:23 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Just so I understand. You're saying you tried a different throttle body form another vendor so you don't think this one will help with an A8?
I don't think an 'A8' needs a PTB regardless of where you purchase it. They all increase air flow 'just' off idle, however sometimes if done by a human hand they may mess up and remove to much which also causes problems.

Just to let you know I am not a stranger to using burring tools, grinders, files, etc. and "I" rarely made mistakes.

Here's some of my home 'tig' welding and file work on a header flange (low area) before finish work done on a large belt sander.

Filing done to make sure there are no 'low spots' before belt sanding.

PS: I could of done my own throttle body porting but to do a really clean job on the 'throttle shaft' it needs to be machined (can't do that at home) so I bought the brand that does that and also if I did not like it I could go back to stock.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 01-12-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Shostopper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does this work with the stock LT4 supercharger snout?
Old 01-12-2018, 03:09 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Shostopper
You just swap out the stock one and bolt it on. You get a new throttle body that has been modified and keep your old one. Everything other than the porting is identical. I installed mine over the holidays but haven't had a chance to run it because of the weather.
Shostopper (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

I have an A8 and I tried one for 'performance purposes' with the machined down shaft which makes the throttle opening truly larger. All the PTBs are not made any larger from the throttle plate/blade on back so by machining down the throttle shaft it does increase the throttle body opening size. That PTB worked great, it gave me more off idle response in normal driving due to more air flow sooner which with the A8 would of only required pressing on the pedal a little more. I found at the drag strip where you go from idle to the floor with the pedal in a heart beat that I picked up zero in the 60' & 1/4 mile. So I took it off and now it's back in the box and on the shelf.

I have seen a thread here lately which I believe the brand mentioned here the most did pick up power down low due to the higher air flow just off idle on the dyno, but after that bump it made the same HP the rest of the way up the chart as the stock throttle body.

Bottom Line:

Here's a time slip without a PTB but I did have an AFE cai with the 'low flow filter' installed.

Last I checked this thread is based on customers feedback from a TONY MAMO PORTED TB.....which I know for a fact you haven't tried or experienced yet.

Ported heads...ported manifolds....ported TB's.....they all sound and read the same on paper but their execution, function, and most importantly the R&D that goes into them can and will yield very different real world results. Bottom line....the results from a ported TB from Vendor XYZ cannot be generalized into ported TB's in general. I'm fairly certain I know which vendor's TB your running and know for a fact that particular TB does not improve (as dramatically) the part of the curve most people care about who are looking for an improvement in drivability (the "dead zone" off idle and general part throttle responsiveness etc.).

Someone not in the know would read what you posted and potentially look at this upgrade in a very negative way and that would be a shame because it happens to be the best low buck mod on the planet for ANY 7th gen Corvette as most people who have actually installed my throttle body....a product unique to itself....would attest to and agree with 100%.

Your comment about it making the same power as a stock TB is also way off base.....an additional 15% more airflow in front of that hungry blower snout (1000 CFM ported vs 850 CFM stock) is worth a solid gain in power and torque as seen below in this independent back to back dyno test (same day....15 minutes apart....the TB was actually swapped with the car sitting on the rollers).

Also A8 cars will see the exact same benefits of M7 cars....the engine is a mechanical device clueless to the transmission bolted behind it. Your dead spot off idle will be removed....you will have a much more linear and responsive throttle (it will feel much more intuitive now) and you will make a solid chunk of extra power and torque across the entire RPM range all for a few hundred dollars invested. Its certainly more in your face with an M7....the deficiencies and poor design of the unported OEM TB, but the A8 guys are going to get ALL the same benefits and many I have helped have reached out to thank me not even realizing the "goodness" they were missing until they installed my ported throttle body. In fact I get alot of folks that email and PM me back so thrilled they decided to purchase my TB and I appreciate that as this profession is not just about the almighty dollar for me. Im a passionate gear head and I genuinely enjoy helping out other passionate gear heads achieve the "nirvana" I also enjoy....the fact I can make a living doing so just makes it a little sweeter.

Not to blow my own horn but the reality is I am an expert in the art of airflow....I designed cylinder heads and manifolds for one of the most well known performance companies in the industry for over 15 years (AirFlow Research aka AFR) before launching Mamo Motorsports in 2014. If you haven't followed my career the last 20 years or so I would encourage you to Google my name and get more familiar. I have invested countless hours and research into throttle body design the last 5 years or so (since 2012 I really stepped up my commitment to that particular R&D activity) and I offer a 30 day money back guarantee. You guys that buy my product don't feel it was worth every penny I will refund you the cost of the part 100%. In fact Im even willing to cover the freight if you mention this thread and this post. You now have nothing to lose and all to gain by trying my product....a product that many of your piers have already tried and have posted glowing reviews if your willing to take the time to read the reviews of the folks that are running MY product.

This is hands down the biggest no brainer mod your likely to come across in your lifetime if you evaluate it on a money/time versus results scenario. Its inexpensive....makes a tremendous improvement in your part throttle experience which you can appreciate every time you drive the car even normally and it adds a really solid gain in your peak torque and horsepower including dramatically fattening the entire power curve. If all this wasn't compelling enough the install takes a whopping ten minutes....four bolts and an electrical connector.

Did I mention Im offering a 30 day money back guarantee?? LOL

That's it guys....this isn't a conspiracy I assure you....I didnt pay the 100 guys who have raved about this product to post....I swear I think because this is such an awesome deal half of the people reading think its too good to be true and in some respects it almost is....but that's only because the results are completely so off the hook good....the cost is minimal and the install a breeze. In fact you will wish there were another mod than can improve your ride the way this one will for similar money spent (and similar install time) but I don't know of much else that could accomplish that and I have been building and modding cars for 35 years!

One last thing....it was one of the recent independent reviews of my product left in this very thread that deserves another look as it was brief but very well said IMO (and I thank the poster for taking the time to share it).

Originally Posted by Paul R
I know that I am just reiterating what so many others have said, but I got my TMPT in mid December and installed it over Christmas. It smoothed out any hesitation and lag in throttle response that I had in my M7 Z06. Very noticeable difference. I always knew there was a bit of hesitation when upshifting in low gears at part throttle, but did not realize how extreme it was until I installed this TB. Totally eliminated the hesitation and accelerates much more smoothly.

This mod is truly a game changer.

Cheers guys.....look forward to helping you.

PM or email is the best way to contact me if your interested (or have further questions) about any of my products

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-12-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Shostopper
Works perfectly....the physical dimensions of the casting and the blade are not altered. Whats altered dramatically is the shape of the throttle body housing bore....its MUCH more streamlined internally and as such offers you all the advantages and perks discussed in this thread. There are good pictures of stock versus my ported stuff in the early pages of this thread....lots of pictures actually so you can better appropriate the significant difference form the porting work.

Plug and play....no retune required....simple 10 -15 minute swap including taking out your tools and putting them away!

Regards,
Tony
Old 01-12-2018, 11:29 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default Wow!

Tony, I am sorry that I caused you to take the time that it took to post your response to what I put up.

But everything that I posted I believe to be true.

Best Regards,

Bill

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 01-13-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Tony, I am sorry if I caused you to take the time that it took to post your response to what I put up.

Best Regards,

Bill
And I appreciate your response....

Hopefully you also have a better understanding or appreciation of the fact that modified parts from different vendors don't look or perform the same....and that's the point I felt compelled to make.

At the end of the day if the time I spent to help clarify this helps a few guys that may have been on the fence then its all for the best anyway.

I do appreciate your response

Good luck and happy modding down the road....at some point give me a crack at earning your business....you get what you pay for in life I assure you

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-12-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tony Mamo Ported TB installed

Old 01-13-2018, 01:49 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Tony, I am sorry that I caused you to take the time that it took to post your response to what I put up.

Best Regards,

Bill
Many believed the world to be flat, didn’t make it true.

Your results contradict the results of many others. You are one contradictory data point of a much larger sample.

Might be time to stop continually trying to push your tired world is flat agenda.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:36 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default Correction! I was wrong.

I went looking for that 'post' that I said I "believe" the brand was the one most mention here which made more power off idle but then made the same HP the rest of the way up the chart as the stocker. Well that statement was incorrect it was 'not' Tony's throttle body in that post but it's also clear that I did not use Tony's throttle body in my testing. My Bad but My Results still stand.

PS: Now I 'may' do some porting and then some back to back TB track testing. Hell, I may even post a TB pic too.

Oh, check my 'time slip' out again; just think how fast I would be if I was not a knuckle dragging flat earth-er!!!

History lesson:
Flat earth-ers when this concept began centuries ago were the educated. They thought C.C. was an idiot, only a fool would think the earth was round! However C.C. spent a lot of time around the water front and he noticed that he would see the top of a ship's mast first before the rest of the ship.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 01-14-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:39 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

I went looking for that 'post' that I said I "believe" the brand was the one most mention here which made more power off idle but then made the same HP the rest of the way up the chart as the stocker. Well that statement was incorrect it was 'not' Tony's throttle body in that post but it's also clear that I did not use Tony's throttle body in my testing. My Bad but My Results still stand.

PS: Now I 'may' do some porting and then some back to back TB track testing. Hell, I may even post a TB pic too.

Oh, check my 'time slip' out again; just think how fast I would be if I was not a knuckle dragging flat earth-er!!!

History lesson:
Flat earth-ers when this concept began centuries ago were the educated. They thought C.C. was an idiot, only a fool would think the earth was round! However C.C. spent a lot of time around the water front and he noticed that he would see the top of a ship's mast first before the rest of the ship.
Back to back testing on the track or on the dyno the same day is preferable. Scientifically, 3 tests with sample A, 3 test with sample B and 3 more tests with sample A to verify that the baseline has not moved.

Pretty hard to get done at the track and not have track or weather conditions introduce a variable. Heck most people can't even get 3 tests on the dyno to repeat on C7 Z06s.

I look forward to seeing scientific results in your own thread and not hijacking someone else's.

We now return to the regularly scheduled "Tony Mamo Ported TB Installed" content.
badhabit_wb (01-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Tony Mamo Ported TB installed