C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Rear ride height difference

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Rear ride height difference

Guys...New 17 Z....I noticed that the rear ride heights are almost 3/4" different from left to right side...Measured from a level floor to the outside edge of the fender arch through the center of the wheel. Drivers side is lower....Fronts are equal to each other. Is this just a normal "luck of the draw" difference or is it intentional. Drivers side rear measures 28.5"....Passenger side is a hair under 29 1/4"....Should I get it closer to equal? Prefer to take the high side down if I adjust....What do ya think?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Why not drive the car for a while and let the suspension settle? Also unlike the C5 and C6 GM does provide measurements for height of the wheel wells above ground. They are listed in the FSM.

When making the measurements follow this procedure:
Distance from ground to top of wheel opening through wheel center.
Note: L/R dimensions differences should be no more than .39"
1. Push front bumper down 1" & release x 3 & measure.
2. Lift bumper 1" & release x 3 & measure.
3. True height is the average of measurements taken in steps 1/2.
3. Repeat above steps for rear.

What you want to focus on are the P Height and R Height measurements since you don't have the tools for measuring the Z and D Heights which are what GM mechanics use to set correct ride height.

Bill
The following 4 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
AK JOEY (02-11-2017), Is2scooby (02-10-2017), Kyflyer (02-09-2017), SterlingDrive (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why not drive the car for a while and let the suspension settle? Also unlike the C5 and C6 GM does provide measurements for height of the wheel wells above ground. They are listed in the FSM.

When making the measurements follow this procedure:
Distance from ground to top of wheel opening through wheel center.
Note: L/R dimensions differences should be no more than .39"
1. Push front bumper down 1" & release x 3 & measure.
2. Lift bumper 1" & release x 3 & measure.
3. True height is the average of measurements taken in steps 1/2.
3. Repeat above steps for rear.

What you want to focus on are the P Height and R Height measurements since you don't have the tools for measuring the Z and D Heights which are what GM mechanics use to set correct ride height.

Bill
Awesome response Bill...I appreciate that very much...Car does have 900 miles on it so saying new was misleading. I will follow the procedures and specs for both P & R...Thanks again
Old 02-09-2017, 12:54 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

If there is that much height difference (3/4") and it is lower on the driver's side with no driver, I would take it to the dealer and have them address the issue.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I just took mine in about a week ago. The front driver's side was almost 3/4 on an inch lower than the front right side with no one in the car. They put the car on a front end alignment lift and made the necessary adjustments. He then drove the car and put it back on the front end alignment rack. He made a minor adjustment and then did a full 4 wheel alignment. Raising or lowering any wheel makes a big difference in the alignment. The cars sits level now and tracks straight. My Z06 has 650 miles on it and was covered under warranty.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks for the GM specs. Bill
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

sitting level does not mean it is corner balanced. to increase weight on a corner you raise it. being lower on the driver side makes sense.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:22 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Old 02-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

I was at the factory last fall and got into a discussion with them about alignments. I was surprised to find out that every day they put a so called perfect 14 C7 on the 2 alignment racks available. The racks are then recalibrated to that car.

I will guess if that 14 is getting out of spec well so are all the others! At the time I was there I noticed the steering wheel did not appear straight with the front wheels on the 14, wife agreed. Z06's and all models run through this system so one is to assume all C7's get the same set up. Surprised the flag ship performance models don't get a tweak here or there or maybe they changed. Bet a Porsche GT3 gets a tweak of the stockers.

My ride height was off on our 15 too. Good excuse to lower it some to get rid of the AWD look. Good info Bill
Old 02-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
I was at the factory last fall and got into a discussion with them about alignments. I was surprised to find out that every day they put a so called perfect 14 C7 on the 2 alignment racks available. The racks are then recalibrated to that car.

I will guess if that 14 is getting out of spec well so are all the others! At the time I was there I noticed the steering wheel did not appear straight with the front wheels on the 14, wife agreed. Z06's and all models run through this system so one is to assume all C7's get the same set up. Surprised the flag ship performance models don't get a tweak here or there or maybe they changed. Bet a Porsche GT3 gets a tweak of the stockers.

My ride height was off on our 15 too. Good excuse to lower it some to get rid of the AWD look. Good info Bill
Yep, you are correct about the GT3, but you pay for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear ride height difference

Quick Reply: Rear ride height difference