C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Halltech Stinger Intake observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Halltech Stinger Intake observations

Hey guys, I got a chance to look at a Halltech Stinger intake recently and though I have always been a Halltech I was not at all impressed.

Here are the notes I made:

As with many of the intakes the throat diameter is modified it would be interesting to see the LTFT's before and after using the system. The measurements I took are:
Throat Diameter (ID) at OEM MAF is 4.13" and Haltech 3.95".
App 9% Increase in Velocity

If I had to guess there appeared to be a slight decrease in DP on the intake tube but I wonder if anyone has logged the MAF before and after to verify.

The filter box was hitting the upper radiator hose so the owner zip tied the upper and lower hoses together.

The filter itself was wedged down into the box and you must use a small 1/4" ratchet to loosen the filter clamp. Then to remove it you had to bend the filter & box b/c the diameter was larger than the opening.

The box itself was not fitting very well against the fender opening in the car even after the owner removed the wire harness from the frame.

The castings were a bit rough and there was porosity between the (2) halves where it was mated.

The OEM box utilizes a small reservoir of sorts off the intake tube for the PCV. So if a slug of oil was sent through the PCV it would have some surge volume. This system was ported directly into the hump hose.

To install the system the owner had to cut the coolant vent line and patch in a few hoses but there was no good retention system for them when completed they just laid over the intake tube.

The clamps were very thin and not of a quality you would expect.

The hump hose was also quite thin, thought it was reinforced.

Where the intake hose entered the box the gasket was not formed round the edge rather adhered to the outside. This unit, which was quite new, was already starting to come loose.

I can say the Nomex burn sleeve was a clever idea but wonder if the convective thermal heat transfer reduction of the open nit would be effective but if I had to guess it would only a few degrees in the worst case conditions.

Last but not least there were no written instructions sent which seemed odd but he did say they referenced a Youtube video of someone installing on a car.

Again I am very sorry Halltech as I really enjoyed many of your builds but I really was disappointed. I wanted the intake to be good as I would have been interested in ordering myself. I hated to post this up but anytime I see a good or product that needs some help I submit as unbiased a report as possible.

Last edited by dsddcd; 02-16-2017 at 09:55 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dsddcd:
Paws (02-16-2017), SterlingDrive (02-19-2017), Toysrus (02-23-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Do you know when this one was made? While in my experience these are all good points I do know that the "second generation" one had a much better fit than the initial few batches. As far as tube diameter I assume that was OD. The factory unit seems to be made of thicker material so maybe the inner diameter is the same?

All these issues aside it seems you can't go wrong with either intake and from my wasting tons of time on this forum it seems as if there have been slightly more issues with the AFE than the Halltech but still the vast majority are happy campers for both...fitment issues aside.

So so what's your move now?

best,
gene
Old 02-16-2017, 10:01 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Originally Posted by phantasms

As far as tube diameter I assume that was OD.

So so what's your move now?
That was the ID, I just updated, thanks for catching! I used a bore gauge to check, the old trick was to modify the throat to lean out the cars, here though it appears they are enriching as the MAF would see higher velocity.

I am just going to leave the OEM, my only wish is for FlexFuel in hopes of reducing the heat issues.

Last edited by dsddcd; 02-16-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:29 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
That was the ID, I just updated, thanks for catching! I used a bore gauge to check, the old trick was to modify the throat to lean out the cars, here though it appears they are enriching as the MAF would see higher velocity.

I am just going to leave the OEM, my only wish is for FlexFuel in hopes of reducing the heat issues.
Keep your oem, and I will keep my HT.
I will also keep my 591RWHP/635RWTQ, and 10.39ET. :-)

And yes, I wrote a very detailed review on the intake (and posted it here) that also included many of the same observations as you.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:12 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

I installed my Halltech Stinger Intake, and I'm completely satisfied with the results. Yes it's a tight fit but what I expected with a larger than stock intake. I do not have the same fitment problems you observed.

Perhaps it was a poor installation of the product?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:16 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Just a tip; criticizing a forum vendor's product could put the op on the endangered species list. Some members have disappeared forever.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 383vett
Just a tip; criticizing a forum vendor's product could put the op on the endangered species list. Some members have disappeared forever.
I don't believe that to be true. Accurate and supported information can be provided without issue. It is only when you get on one of these threads and start making claims that have no basis in reality mainly because someone is overly upset. Being an owner of a Halltech, I fully agree with everything posted by the OP. I was okay with those issues until I installed a 2017 lid and wasn't happy with the resulting air/fuel at which point it came off.

The problem is that people cannot have intelligent discussions with disagreements.

Last edited by fleming23; 02-17-2017 at 11:03 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by fleming23:
Jimmyz28 (02-17-2017), SterlingDrive (02-19-2017), Toysrus (02-23-2017), Z06NJ (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:16 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by fleming23
I don't believe that to be true. Accurate and supported information can be provided without issue. It is only when you get on one of these threads and start making claims that have no basis in reality mainly because someone is overly upset. Being an owner of a Halltech, I fully agree with everything posted by the OP. I was okay with those issues until I installed a 2017 lid and wasn't happy with the resulting air/fuel at which point it came off.

The problem is that people cannot have intelligent discussions with disagreements.
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Best,
Gene
Old 02-17-2017, 01:27 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

I know you mean well, but we are living in a society that cannot tolerate anything but agreement and good news. At some point, there will be no discussion and really no need for a forum. Facts are a messy thing and their elimination only emboldens the ignorant and destructive. Best

Originally Posted by 383vett
The following users liked this post:
AdrenalineJunkiee (04-14-2021)
Old 02-17-2017, 02:04 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
I know you mean well, but we are living in a society that cannot tolerate anything but agreement and good news. At some point, there will be no discussion and really no need for a forum. Facts are a messy thing and their elimination only emboldens the ignorant and destructive. Best
I am just stating what I have observed in the past decade or so with this forum. I don't disagree with you that people should be able to voice their opinions. The fact is that forum vendors keep this forum alive. Criticism of their products has in the past resulted in sanctions. I'm not at all saying that is right or wrong.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Jimmyz28
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Does anyone remember the days of LS1tech and what we ALL use to say to one another?? This S*** is F***ing hilarious compared to that!! HaHaHaHa!!

Last edited by Jimmyz28; 02-17-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Originally Posted by fleming23

Thank you for sharing, as you mentioned I am just stating the facts and my opinions. The unfortunate truth is that per recommendations here and other sites I have purchased everything from Steak Knives to the Z06 itself and can attest that some items were "Not as Advertised" while others are better than expected. I have been approached by vendors to do reviews in the past but I always tell them it will be a review without bias. If they have a great product the strengths will be highlighted, on the other hand if it is subpar these will be pointed out.

Again there is nothing for me to gain or lose on this just hoping to pay it forward.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:46 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Thank you for sharing, as you mentioned I am just stating the facts and my opinions. The unfortunate truth is that per recommendations here and other sites I have purchased everything from Steak Knives to the Z06 itself and can attest that some items were "Not as Advertised" while others are better than expected. I have been approached by vendors to do reviews in the past but I always tell them it will be a review without bias. If they have a great product the strengths will be highlighted, on the other hand if it is subpar these will be pointed out.

Again there is nothing for me to gain or lose on this just hoping to pay it forward.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Reply

As with many of the intakes the throat diameter is modified it would be interesting to see the LTFT's before and after using the system. The measurements I took are:
Throat Diameter (ID) at OEM MAF is 4.13" and Haltech 3.95".
App 9% Increase in Velocity
Spelled Halltech, not Haltech; we can make the i.d. any size you think would provide better LTFTs than +-2%. As for the velocity, that is only one part of the equation. We provide 1 PSI more boost than stock, IATs are closer to ambient than the stock unit. Our Ram Air TRIC brings another 2 PSI to the party.

If I had to guess there appeared to be a slight decrease in DP on the intake tube but I wonder if anyone has logged the MAF before and after to verify.
We have over 200 dealers/installers that order our intakes on a regular basis. Do you think that they just install them and send their customer on his merry way? Katech Engine Development did all of the Halltech R&D initially, and if you look at their 2016 catalog, Halltech is the only intake they provide in their builds. Testing is ongoing, even after 2+ years on the market. Halltech owns a C7 Z06 that we developed the Stinger-RZ on, which is our $102,500 R&D tool.

The filter box was hitting the upper radiator hose so the owner zip tied the upper and lower hoses together.
You obviously did not read the instructions, or view the video instructions we sent to your friend. The pdf file is on his email invoice, and on our website under Install. One call to us, and we could have pointed you to our installation instructions showing how to deal with that hose line.

The filter itself was wedged down into the box and you must use a small 1/4" ratchet to loosen the filter clamp. Then to remove it you had to bend the filter & box b/c the diameter was larger than the opening.
We provide a proprietary wrench for that, just in case a small ¼” ratchet is not in your toolbox.

The box itself was not fitting very well against the fender opening in the car even after the owner removed the wire harness from the frame.
We send a small 48” adhesive seal for the F-Panel to airbox seal. That seal is probably in the box. The fit problem is the lower radiator hoses, which must be moved out of the way of our airbox.

The castings were a bit rough and there was porosity between the (2) halves where it was mated.
Polyethylene is plastic. We make the intakes in carbon fiber for those folks that look for higher quality.

The OEM box utilizes a small reservoir of sorts off the intake tube for the PCV. So if a slug of oil was sent through the PCV it would have some surge volume. This system was ported directly into the hump hose.
Our system was tested by GM at their Milford Proving Grounds, and approved by them since our original system was referred by one of their engineers to their Specialty Vehicle Program. We were not be able to supply enough systems to them due to our size and limited resources.

To install the system the owner had to cut the coolant vent line and patch in a few hoses but there was no good retention system for them when completed they just laid over the intake tube.
Yep, in the instructions, and we provide that line finished for those that do not want to do this themselves.

The clamps were very thin and not of a quality you would expect.
They are 316 Norma Stainless Steel hose clamps, which are among the highest quality hose clamps made. Lingenfelter has used the very same clamps for many years. Look up 316 stainless, and compare it to the material most hose clamps are made from. We are actually using top of the line parts. Our MAF screws are 8-32 SS screws with Viton washers for the standoff, and SS washers. OEM uses self threading 2 cent Zinc screws, with no washers.

The hump hose was also quite thin, thought it was reinforced.
We use three layer reinforced high temp silicone. One less layer than turbo spec hoses. In the past we have sold these very hoses to Lingenfelter when they ran low.

Where the intake hose entered the box the gasket was not formed round the edge rather adhered to the outside. This unit, which was quite new, was already starting to come loose.
This is a known issue, which is why we include an spare 15” gasket. It is 3M heat activated tape, which is supposed to stick, but at times can loosen. Permatex Weatherstrip adhesive, will restore the adhesion. We will supply replacements for those that need them.

I can say the Nomex burn sleeve was a clever idea but wonder if the convective thermal heat transfer reduction of the open nit would be effective but if I had to guess it would only a few degrees in the worst case conditions.
Yep, Nomex is very clever. Used by every drag racer that cares about safety.

Last but not least there were no written instructions sent which seemed odd but he did say they referenced a Youtube video of someone installing on a car.
The original customer, was sent a PDF install file and links to youtube videos. We are working on new instructions.

Again I am very sorry Halltech as I really enjoyed many of your builds but I really was disappointed. I wanted the intake to be good as I would have been interested in ordering myself. I hated to post this up but anytime I see a good or product that needs some help I submit as unbiased a report as possible.
You spent a lot of time being critical of our intake, and some of what you write is valid. I think the folks on the forum would take your comments to heart if you had mentioned even one good point.

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 02-18-2017 at 02:01 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Halltech:
123sugey (02-22-2017), Bad Dad (02-18-2017), BearZ06 (02-27-2017), SterlingDrive (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:12 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't care for how close the Halltech and AFE airboxes are to the radiator hoses. The stock design provides plenty of clearance.

Last edited by marcouvo; 02-19-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:24 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Thanks for chiming in! It is great to see vendors & manufactures on the boards and know that they take the time to read and review!

You spent a lot of time being critical of our intake, and some of what you write is valid. I think the folks on the forum would take your comments to heart if you had mentioned even one good point.

There is certainly one point and that is the intake makes power and this has been shown many times over. So as with many changes you must compromise, in this case I was not willing to compromise and was unable to find the details as mentioned above.

Thanks again for chiming in!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by marcouvo
Don't care for how close the Halltech and AFE airboxes are to the radiator hoses. The stock design provides plenty of clearance.
what would you guess is on the other side of that lack of clearance?

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Stinger Intake observations

Old 02-22-2017, 02:11 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
what would you guess is on the other side of that lack of clearance?
I would have to agree.

Most mods you do to the car for performance are going to be some sort of compromise.

Torco = more power but orange residue and more expense.
DR's = better traction, but wear out quickly and more expense and worse wet weather traction.
headers = more power more espense, and if you delete your cats, then the smell of gas.
Meth...
E85...
Pulley...
Lowering...

If the car satisfies you at stock 650HP level, then detail it, do some appearance mods, and then enjoy it.

It just so happens some people prefer to tinker with the car for more power, knowing full well that there will be compromises involved along the way.

I have had used pickups that I purchased in the past that came with CAI's and the first thing I did was go back to stock, because I was not willing to deal with the compromise for a few HP on a stock pickup, to each their own.

Concerning the CAI, was I happy that the radiator hose touched the air inlet hose? Hell no!
I wrote a very detailed review of the product here that detailed many of the issues with this product.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...c7-z06-a8.html

I say all of this to make my final point, what are the advantages AND disadvantages for using a product like this...

I think it's great that everyone posts their own experience and opinions about these and any other products, but it's important to post both sides of the equation... the advantages AND the disadvantages.

If you feel that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, then by all means express yourself. Don't get me wrong, I am CERTAINLY NOT trying to degrade anyone for posting their experiences here AT ALL.

I am just expressing my opinion that it's important to consider BOTH the advantages and disadvantages of every potential mod for your car.

Have a blessed day ya'all.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:30 PM
upcharger
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Lots of people talk **** about haltech fitment. Its true, the fitment could be better. But once you get it hooked up it is very effective. I love mine.

Last edited by upcharger; 02-22-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I haven't installed mine yet.

BTW! I have a complete Stage 1 kit for sale if someone wants it.

Last edited by Speedforhire; 02-22-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Halltech Stinger Intake observations