C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Questions about Z06 purchase

Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM
AMFRC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Z06 purchase

A couple of questions I have from a buyer stand point - I would like to rent one to see what I think but I cannot seem to find a Z06 for rent just a Z51. How much of a difference between the 2 am I looking at? I guess the dealer would have a used z51 to test drive but am I getting all the feels of a z06 in the z51?

My thought was doing lease with buyout option at the end - any foresight on seeing this to be a problem later on after my lease ends?

I am in Atlanta and would like if someone is able/available to give me a in depth tour of their z06 and a ride around, I would enjoy that - ill pay.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

I drove a Z51/M7 looking at fit/finish, ergonomics, seating position, amenities, etc. If you're you haven't done that I'd start there first.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

A lot of this depends on your previous driving experience and how powerful the cars you have driven previously have been. What I mean by how powerful I mean how much torque do they provide in the 1000 to 2500 rpm range. A Z51 will give you the overall experience from a street driving standpoint. It will have more torque in those low ranges than most any street car has total. However, the Z06 has over 100 lb-ft more torque than the Z51 in the same regions and the Z51 won't be able to demonstrate to you the large low end torque advantage the Z06 has.

From a manual transmission standpoint both cars are easily capable of driving around in 4th gear at 25 mph and accelerating hard with just a push of the gas pedal. The Z06 just does it much more forcefully. Running in the first 3 gears is a little different as the Z51 is geared down from the Z06 through those first 3 gears which helps compensate for the torque deficiency. Be advised though when driving in lower gears the Z06 can get inexperienced drivers into trouble since they aren't used to things happening, NOW and can easily get behind the car.

Bill
Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Z51, rolling hard into the gas from idle: "Wow, this is impressive acceleration"

Z06, rolling hard into the gas from idle: "Why is the world coming to an end? Why is this car sideways? And what is that beautiful sound?"

The Z06 makes close to 600 ftlbs at 2000 rpm. The Z51 is closer to 375 at that point, so the difference is even greater, I think, than what Bill calls out.

By peak horsepower they're within 200hp of each other but it's the mid-throttle RPM range where the real difference lies.

But the Z51 is still a fine car. Just completely different.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Z06Shark
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

You could always sign up for the Spring Mountain Resorts 2 Day Z06 Performance driving school and get 2 Days of real world experience. (~250 miles of driving) You would know 100% by day two if it's for you.
Cost ~$3800 and some of the best money spent imho.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:17 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

OP either car you buy, look at the Penfed auto payment saver loan. 3yrs. Like Lease but with the perks of ownership. Cost 13 bucks to join and service is spectacular.

1.74% loan. The balloon in 3 yrs. Allows you to do multiple things.

1. If car is great and u r happy, refinance or buy outright (through pen fed their longest used loan is maybe 3%).

2. U don't like it or want new? Trade it in take advantage of the 60k plus in tax credit.u own it (leasing you don't have that advantage).

3. Refinance keep it another year or two whatever and change then.

the residual on Leasing is very good which equates to bad for purchasing. Meaning you'll pay large monthly payments and STILL owe alot at end if lease.

​​​​​​the payment saver option. Is same payments but what you owe on backside will be less as they umder value our cars after 3yrs. For example a 3yr old Z06 buyout is 49k. Yeah. And a lease buyout is around 60 to 65k.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 02-17-2017 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
OP either car you buy, look at the Penfed auto payment saver loan. 3yrs. Like Lease but with the perks of ownership. Cost 13 bucks to join and service is spectacular.

1. If car is great and u r happy, refinance or buy outright (through pen fed their longest used loan is maybe 3%).

2. U don't like it or want new? Trade it in take advantage of the 60k plus in tax credit.u own it (leasing you don't have that advantage).

the residual on Leasing is very good which equates to bad for purchasing. Meaning you'll pay large monthly payments and STILL owe alot at end if lease.

​​​​​​the payment saver option. Is same payments but what you owe on backside will be less as they umder value our cars after 3yrs. For example a 3yr old Z06 buyout is 49k. Yeah. And a lease buyout is around 60 to 65k.
BEST advice I have seen wrt PENFED!
Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AMFRC
A couple of questions I have from a buyer stand point - I would like to rent one to see what I think but I cannot seem to find a Z06 for rent just a Z51. How much of a difference between the 2 am I looking at? I guess the dealer would have a used z51 to test drive but am I getting all the feels of a z06 in the z51?

My thought was doing lease with buyout option at the end - any foresight on seeing this to be a problem later on after my lease ends?

I am in Atlanta and would like if someone is able/available to give me a in depth tour of their z06 and a ride around, I would enjoy that - ill pay.

Thanks
I sure there in Atlanta GA there will be a c7 Z06 on a used car lot that you can try out
Old 02-17-2017, 01:52 PM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Just my opinion but this seems like terrible advice, in that it has a lot of risk. Just like buying a house with a balloon payment.

There are two main advantages to leasing that I can think of.

1) you don't own the car so can walk away after a fixed time period
2) you don't own the car and thus don't (usually) pay tax on the purchase price

What you suggest has neither advantage. And it has the distinct disadvantage of a balloon payment. In three years interest rates could be sky high and the value of your car could be in the toilet - who knows? In that case this arrangement puts you in a pickle, as you are forced to refinance. I don't see any guarantee that they will refinace the balloon payment either.

To me there is no value in owning the car, only risk. With a lease you can always buy the car anyway if you so desire. That said I financed for 6 years at 1.49%, but I would be happy to jump on a lease if I could find favorable terms.

Last edited by etekberg; 02-17-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:03 PM
AMFRC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to talk with a sales rep at Rick Hendrick. He said Leasing was 2k, but the payment for the buyout for the z06 I built on Chevy website w/ 10k down was $1800. Either way, I am just going to build and buy and hopefully get close to 0%. I have to check USAA rates to see whats going on in their realm prior but anything under 2% is okay with me. He also let me know I could test drive a z06 with similar options and I think I am still going to rent a Z51 for a few days and do a few hundred miles to see what I think.

My love has always been a C6 Grand Sport but I think I want to jump over and dive into a c7 z06. I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the replies guys and the great information, it is always welcomed and much much appreciated.

Last edited by AMFRC; 02-17-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:08 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

16/C7Z,

Can you explain #2? What do you mean by "take advantage of the $60K tax credit"?
Thanks,

Last edited by 427Z0SX; 02-17-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:09 PM
etekberg
Drifting

BTW, I've never heard of a lease that doesn't let you buy the car for per-arranged price. In other words, I think all leases are like that.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 PM
etekberg
Drifting

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
16/C7Z,

Can you explain #2? What do you mean by "take advantage of the $60K tax credit"?
Thanks,
He means that some states (not all) give you a deduction (not credit) from your sales tax if you trade in a vehicle.

In other words, buy a $100k car from a dealer with a $50k trade-in, you pay sales tax on $50k, not $100k.

It's not an advantage over leasing as when buying you already paid that tax. With a lease you never pay the tax in the first place (usually).
The following users liked this post:
427Z0SX (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 PM
yetman
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I just came out of a Z51 7 Spd equipped stingray and into my 2017 Z06 7 speed. I can tell you that there is NO comparison in horsepower, braun, grit and seat of the pants fun between the two.

The Z51 is a great car and is very fun to drive. I don't want to take away from the stingray at all. I enjoyed driving that vette a lot - but its a different car from the Z06. If you are happy with that version of the car, then by all means, get one and enjoy it.

The Z06 is an awesome car and is the car I want to drive. To go from 460 HP/460 torque to 650 HP/650 torque is HUGE! Its quick off the line and it will snap your head back into the seat when you put your foot in it.

Either way, you can't go wrong. There both VETTES!
Old 02-17-2017, 04:09 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

You should hear from someone in your general area that is willing to take you for a ride, and maybe even drive, so I would do that first. You need to experience the same very car you are considering. I learned this lesson the hard way. I bought a 15 Z06 M7 and hated it. After driving an A8 Z06 I sold my 15 and ordered my 16 that I dearly love. Cost me about 30K to learn that lesson.

BTW at the time I bought that 15 there weren't any dealers allowing you to sit in a new Z06 much less drive one. The moment I drove that car off of that lot I knew that I had made a big mistake.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 02-17-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:41 PM
TurboJunky
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

I have used PenFed in the past and never knew about this option.

I will look into it. Thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by AMFRC
I was able to talk with a sales rep at Rick Hendrick. He said Leasing was 2k, but the payment for the buyout for the z06 I built on Chevy website w/ 10k down was $1800. Either way, I am just going to build and buy and hopefully get close to 0%. I have to check USAA rates to see whats going on in their realm prior but anything under 2% is okay with me. He also let me know I could test drive a z06 with similar options and I think I am still going to rent a Z51 for a few days and do a few hundred miles to see what I think.

My love has always been a C6 Grand Sport but I think I want to jump over and dive into a c7 z06. I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the replies guys and the great information, it is always welcomed and much much appreciated.
Coming from a C6 GS I think you need to consider the design parameters of the C7. GM designed it so it wouldn't lose out to a C6Z on performance. The LT1 torque and hp curves are identical to the C6Z curves up to 4K rpm and then it starts to fall off. To help the Stingray/Z51 overcome the 200 lb weight disadvantage they put in the C6 GS transmission ratios. How does you C6 GS run against a C6Z up to the 4K rev point? You will see about the same difference between the GS and the Z51. After that point the difference will be less as peak HP of the LT1 is only 30 more than the LS3.

The C7 Z06 weighs at least 300 lbs more than the C6Z (at least my Z07 does) but it has a lot more torque throughout the rpm range so even though it can't rev to 7K rpm like the LS7 it has a lot more torque and 105 more peak HP which occurs at about the same rpm point as the LS7 (6400 rpm).

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about Z06 purchase

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about Z06 purchase