C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Electronic parking brakes are straight out of idiocracy.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 01:14 AM
StreetLegalH2R
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Electronic parking brakes are straight out of idiocracy.

Whatever maroon came up with the idiotic idea of a parking brake operated by an electric switch needs to go to the same hell as the intellectual infant who though push button electric doors were an improvement. Remember idiot lights? I'm inventing a new term; idiot switches.

Keeping a parked car from rolling away is only ONE of the three primary functions of the parking brake. Unfortunately without a handle attached to a physical cable that can be modulated, almost all of the usefulness of a parking brake is eliminated. For those millennials who don't know, we used to call it an E brake when the E stood for 'emergency'. If there is some catastrophic hydraulic failure, that lever attached to a steel cable would allow the driver to manually operate the rear brakes and bring the car to a controlled stop. The other thing it was good for was taking off on steep inclines with a manual transmission; one foot on the clutch, one on the gas and one hand on the parking brake to eliminate roll back. None of which we can do with the new idiot switch.

The other thing I don't get is; why would you remove the E brake handle on a sports car? Sure, in an SUV that pedal down by the kick panel is fine, but most guys in sports cars (at one point or another) use them to do fun stuff - especially these days when drifting is practically an Olympic sport.

I just don't get the electronic parking brake. In fact, I hate them with a fire to burn a thousand suns. I hate them almost as much as I lothe and despise 'infotainment systems'. Seriously, stop fixing stuff that isn't broken GM and stop putting features that should be relegated to minivans in the Corvette.

Last edited by StreetLegalH2R; 03-04-2017 at 01:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StreetLegalH2R:
John Lord (10-21-2018), Ptrick57 (04-07-2023)
Old 03-04-2017, 03:29 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Welcome to today's world. Most modern cars, sports or not have an electric parking brake. What does the color maroon have to do with anything?
The following 3 users liked this post by 383vett:
atvBob (06-25-2017), jbsblownc5 (01-31-2019), jon c (03-19-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 04:28 AM
StreetLegalH2R
Racer

Originally Posted by 383vett
Welcome to today's world. Most modern cars, sports or not have an electric parking brake. What does the color maroon have to do with anything?
Its a Bugs Bunny-ism. He used to say 'what a maroon' when he was insulting someone. That said, 'modern' doesn't necessarily mean improved. Are movies today any better than they were 40 years ago? Are books? Schools? Dating? Society? Time marches on but we continue to regress socially and intellectually. Hence the reference to Idiocracy. It wasn't broke, they shouldn't have fixed it. In doing so they made it worse.

Last edited by StreetLegalH2R; 03-04-2017 at 04:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jbsblownc5 (01-31-2019)
Old 03-04-2017, 04:28 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I've never used a parking brake to prevent rollbacks and I've never used it to drift, so I'm ok with the E-Brake. I rarely use it.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:31 AM
StreetLegalH2R
Racer

Originally Posted by rbartick
I've never used a parking brake to prevent rollbacks and I've never used it to drift, so I'm ok with the E-Brake. I rarely use it.
Congratulations. I guess since you don't need it, no one does. Sarcasm aside, you'll wish you had it the first time you go for the brakes and the pedal hits the floor.

I hope you at least appreciate the irony of still calling it an E-brake, which is short for 'emergency brake' - a function it no longer actually performs.

Last edited by StreetLegalH2R; 03-04-2017 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:17 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

The car does not have an emergency brake. It has a parking brake with HSA, and no I won't miss an emergency brake because I'm not into the Fast and Furious style of drifting with a parking brake. IMO, this is not something worth complaining about.

The following users liked this post:
Blvdbrawler (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 06:34 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

I prefer a hand brake. But I think it will actually stop the car if you pull on it while moving.

A few few months ago someone claimed that it would. And that he had done it.

I have not had the inclaination to try. But if it will, the emergency function is intact.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I like the E E brake.
If you need to start up a hill, the car has hill assist built in.
You're maybe a little too upset bout this.
Did you forget to pull it and your car roll away?
Also, leave the car in gear and it won't roll away.
I see no issues but to each their own.
Carry on
Old 03-04-2017, 06:54 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetLegalH2R
Whatever maroon came up with the idiotic idea of a parking brake operated by an electric switch needs to go to the same hell as the intellectual infant who though push button electric doors were an improvement. Remember idiot lights? I'm inventing a new term; idiot switches.

Keeping a parked car from rolling away is only ONE of the three primary functions of the parking brake. Unfortunately without a handle attached to a physical cable that can be modulated, almost all of the usefulness of a parking brake is eliminated. For those millennials who don't know, we used to call it an E brake when the E stood for 'emergency'. If there is some catastrophic hydraulic failure, that lever attached to a steel cable would allow the driver to manually operate the rear brakes and bring the car to a controlled stop. The other thing it was good for was taking off on steep inclines with a manual transmission; one foot on the clutch, one on the gas and one hand on the parking brake to eliminate roll back. None of which we can do with the new idiot switch.

The other thing I don't get is; why would you remove the E brake handle on a sports car? Sure, in an SUV that pedal down by the kick panel is fine, but most guys in sports cars (at one point or another) use them to do fun stuff - especially these days when drifting is practically an Olympic sport.

I just don't get the electronic parking brake. In fact, I hate them with a fire to burn a thousand suns. I hate them almost as much as I lothe and despise 'infotainment systems'. Seriously, stop fixing stuff that isn't broken GM and stop putting features that should be relegated to minivans in the Corvette.
Ah. What's up, Doc?

I too miss the manual brake and yes, I too used it for keeping me from rolling backwards at stop lights when the maroon behind me left me little to no rolling room. It was how I was taught to drive...

I gave in to the clear signal that it was time to buy the A8. Nice tranny, but certainly a less engaging way to drive. I grump about it occasionally but I focus instead on the 650/650 available to my right foot. 🙂
Old 03-04-2017, 07:52 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I too dislike the electric switch. I'm sure it's possible to have a pull handle that still operates in an electric pull-by-wire system allowing modulation (probably with less feel). But this binary on/off sucks. If the engineers really wanted brownie points they'd have put a handle operated hydraulic brake in.

Last edited by spearfish25; 03-04-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

The electric parking brake on my 2015 Chevrolet Impala LTZ went bad at around 10,000 miles. I was on my way to the VA hospital one morning and I get an idiot light in the instrument cluster. I must be an idiot because I had never seen it before and had no idea what it was. Anyway, I get to the hospital and have to pull the manual out of the glove compartment to see what the light is for. The manual says it's the electric parking brake and it should be serviced immediately. Long story short, it was at the dealership for several days. They had to pull the dash apart to repair something with the wiring. I'm with you. Whatever happened to good old fashioned "lever" parking brakes?

Last edited by DevilDog II; 03-04-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:59 AM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by HighBeta
Ah. What's up, Doc?

I too miss the manual brake and yes, I too used it for keeping me from rolling backwards at stop lights when the maroon behind me left me little to no rolling room. It was how I was taught to drive...

🙂
By reading the owners manual you will discover that if you use the electric brake it will automatically disengage when you start to move the car by applying some throttle.

It does this with an M7. Since I don't have an A8 I have not tried it with that transmission.

As to hill assist it only keeps you from rolling backwards for a short time, like a second or two. If that is not long enough for your tastes or you want to take your foot off the brake while waiting on a hill, use the parking brake.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:49 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
I have owned three c7's and have never used the emergency brake on any of them.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:46 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Those with the M7 ought to have the car with a hand-brake so they can bond and be more engaged with the "emergency brake". Us with an A8 don't need a E-brake!
Old 03-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,193 Likes on 2,140 Posts

I don't miss the old hand brake.

On my C6, as the months went by in ownership, it would wear out. Then i would have to pull the e-brake so far up, the stick is almost looking up at the roof of the car lol.

The other stuff you mentioned about doing a e-brake assist on hills or doing drifting pertains to a very SMALL crowd.

I have never use an e-brake to drift, (in a RWD car?? lol) and i never used an e-brake on an hill.

Actually wait i take it back. I used it ONCE EVER. And this was about a year into me driving manual and the hill was like a 45 degree incline in rush hour traffic. Which was the worst drive home from work i ever had btw lol.

Other than that, the electronic parking brake is the best thing.

That's the innovation of cars for ya.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I also think the electric parking brake is stupid! But what the hell do I know?

Jim
Old 03-04-2017, 11:24 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Congratulations. I guess since you don't need it, no one does. Sarcasm aside, you'll wish you had it the first time you go for the brakes and the pedal hits the floor.

I hope you at least appreciate the irony of still calling it an E-brake, which is short for 'emergency brake' - a function it no longer actually performs.
I don't mind it either. And you'll never lose hydraulic brakes in a dual-circuit master anyway, unless you deserve to (ie: you screw up the brakes somehow).

In that case you simply pull the switch. Yes I've tried it and yes it works. It's not as easy to modulate as a mechanical lever, but since those ratchet anyway, you're not modulating anything in your hypothetical "emergency" braking situation anyway, I don't think.

Some cars allow you to automatically set the brake upon parking, which you can't (easily) do with a mechanical lever.

They could also use it for hill-start assist, perhaps they do, I don't know. So there are actual benefits to the electronic system as well.

That said, I'd probably prefer a manual parking brake (it's not an E-brake) if the handle were discreet (or beautiful) but it's not an all-consuming passion for me.

Last edited by davepl; 03-04-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic parking brakes are straight out of idiocracy.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:48 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The parking brake on a C5 or C6 will not stop it from speed. It is too small. Will just heat fade. Kinda like spring brakes on big trucks. You loose the air you will crash. But cars have dual hydraulic systems. So not much chance both will fail..
Old 03-04-2017, 12:06 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
By reading the owners manual you will discover that if you use the electric brake it will automatically disengage when you start to move the car by applying some throttle.

It does this with an M7. Since I don't have an A8 I have not tried it with that transmission.

As to hill assist it only keeps you from rolling backwards for a short time, like a second or two. If that is not long enough for your tastes or you want to take your foot off the brake while waiting on a hill, use the parking brake.
Yes, I knew it had an electric brake before I bought it and yes, I knew that it would automatically disengage. The action is identical to the GTI's electric brake. Still wasn't a fan of the change from the C6Z's hand brake.

I got over my diaappointment the moment I fired up the LT4 in track mode and almost hurt myself by smiling "too big".
Old 03-04-2017, 01:50 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

All of the cars I purchased in the past few years have the e-brake...including my Z and my 911 TTS. I have no issue with them...and it takes up less space in the cabin, which I appreciate.

I rarely use it, as when you come to a stop, if the rotors are hot...the e-brake can cause them to warp. I got used to not using them with my steel-braked cars and have never bothered with my CCB cars.

I don't need (and never did) the hill assist function.

Also never liked when the cables rusted and stretched out from over tension or lack of usage.

E-brake is just fine for me...cuz I'm a maroon, and it's definitely a huge improvement over the manual cable brakes of yore.

Last edited by FastestBusaAround; 03-04-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Electronic parking brakes are straight out of idiocracy.