C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:26 AM
Hotdogone
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clutch question

Hi everyone
I really hate posting this again but I know the guys with a stick have had your foot on the clutch pedal at sometime. I'm sure your vette wasn't your first stick. Now with that being said, I have a new 2016 Z07 and there is NO clutch free play.

I've talk to some people I know and they say that's normal. Hey I'm over 60 and never had a clutch pedal with no free play.

I have been a lurker for a couple of years and me buying this vette is a whole different story. How's this one I'm writing this from a nursing home. No BS

Again I sorry for posting this again but I would like to get an answer before I put any miles on it. I hope everyone understands.

Thanks much
Old 03-08-2017, 05:04 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Can you explain what you mean by 'free play'?

I'd definitely say the C7Z clutch needs to be on the floor when you shift. There's no cheating a shift with a partial clutch depression unless you want a little grind.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:47 AM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotdogone
Hi everyone
I really hate posting this again but I know the guys with a stick have had your foot on the clutch pedal at sometime. I'm sure your vette wasn't your first stick. Now with that being said, I have a new 2016 Z07 and there is NO clutch free play.

I've talk to some people I know and they say that's normal. Hey I'm over 60 and never had a clutch pedal with no free play.

I have been a lurker for a couple of years and me buying this vette is a whole different story. How's this one I'm writing this from a nursing home. No BS

Again I sorry for posting this again but I would like to get an answer before I put any miles on it. I hope everyone understands.

Thanks much
The nature of hydraulic operated clutches is there is no free play similar to a mechanical linkage where you have some pedal movement before you feel any resistance. If you want some there is probably an up stop on the clutch pedal linkage which would allow some free play before the clutch master cylinder piston rod is moved. I'm guessing about this as I haven't looked under the dash.

Mechanical linkages required some free play to ensure the clutch disk was fully released. With a hydraulic system the pressure plate springs just push the fluid back into the master cylinder from the slave cylinder.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I think the OP may be asking about engagement point. Some cars engage when the pedal is released just a bit but others engage when the pedal is almost fully up. There does not seem to be a lot of consistency.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:13 AM
Hotdogone
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clutch question, free play

spearfish

what I'm talking about is when the clutch pedal is at the top (no foot on the pedal) and as you begin to depress the pedal you can feel the throw out bearing engage the fingers on the clutch.

What I was concerned about is without free play the throw out bearing is two things 1 if the throw out bearing is always in contact with the fingers you fry the bearing or 2 how do you know the pressure plate is fully engaged.

I hope I didn't cloud the issue. I would have made a crappy teacher and I used to run blown nitro race engines. But that was 30 year career that's another story.

Chuck
Old 03-09-2017, 07:28 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Tolerances in stack height of clutch assembly, engine block, flywheel, crank shaft and bearing can all add up to possibly amounting to enough if all off in the direction of increasing the gap or narrowing it for a noticeable difference. Though I'd try bleeding the clutch first to see if it helps the play in the peda feel as air or contaminated fluid will alter the engagement of the slave cylinder actuated by the clutch master cylinder. Initial break in, no lift shifts and clutch dumps will accelerate the fluid getting contaminated with clutch disc material as the "sealed" slave cylinder isn't immune and fluid needs to be periodically changed if driven aggressively. If not bled from bleeder then by the "Ranger" way atleast.

Hope that helps, Chris

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 03-09-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:44 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

Freeplay exists in both mechanical and hydraulic linkage clutch systems. It is the distance, usually measured in fractions of an inch, that the clutch pedal can be depressed before it starts to 'work,' or disengage the clutch. You can barely feel it -- it's the point at which you first feel clutch resistance. Original intent was to prevent clutch slippage. My MY Z06 has freeplay -- and I can feel it. But far less noticeable than in any other manual transmission car I've ever owned.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I think that most of this is due to the engagement being at the top rather then the floor
Old 03-09-2017, 09:02 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Hotdogone, get the heck out of the nursing home and drive the darn thing. Everything is fine. It is because of the hydraulic clutch.

I own two 1930 Chevys, one 1931 Chevy and a 1963 Corvette all with stock clutches so I know what you are talking about.

So get out and drive it. It is FINE.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
fpfaeth (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 AM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfwz06
I think that most of this is due to the engagement being at the top rather then the floor
Right. I should have added that.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch question

Quick Reply: Clutch question