C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 ordered with Engine Build & Buyers Tour

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:41 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart
Good and Bad News today from Dealer

Good - Order# VDXH2T placed and at Event Code 1100 3/10/17

Bad - SM8 Custom Floor Lid Z06 Embroidered Logo not available with 3LZ Package
Explanation: 3LZ has real leather floor lid cover 1LZ & 2LZ do not, so embroidered Z06 logo on leather is not an option so I'm getting a $295 credit.

On the engine thing with the LT4, it's now not as automated (robotics & such) now they're all built by humans with the exception of some processes where robots are more skilled like RTV on the oil pan. I know all Z06 LT4 engines are identical, I believe (from what I have read) many of the the Z07's had a greater potential to be "tracked" so the factory wanted them hand assembled at Bowling Green so that extra QC from humans was decided as the best way.
OK, MJ, try this article on for size....

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016/...bowling-green/

....as far as hand built Z06 engines being assembled better and/or delivering more HP, or vice versa, that argument will never end. The procedures that were used when the LT4 S/C Z06 engines were being built in both locations were virtually identical....same specs, parts came from the same location, same tooling, assembly techniques were basically the same, build techniques, trouble areas, etc., were openly and continuously shared between the two locations. In fact, the LT4 S/C engines for the ZL1 Camaro and the Cadillac CTS-V are still being built in Tonawanda. The notion that there's some special magic in the B/G engine builds that makes the B/G engine build stronger for the rigors of Tracking or have more horsepower for the demands of racing, is clearly pure B/S. Go ahead and believe what you want, but the facts are pretty self explanatory. We all love the B/G plant and it's product, but don't sell the Tonawanda engine plant short....they were building all the 396 and 427 engines for Chevrolet back in the mid '60's and they are a quality operation with a lot of strong history....they would never want their reputation damaged or tarnished.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:07 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

You are right tzoid the engines have the same parts and clearances and are torqued the same. I have built engines in the past and I can't believe they charge $5000 to help assemble it.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:01 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

@mjdart

Just got order # and Level 1100 for my Z06/3LZ/Z07 yesterday. Also doing PBC/PD5 and R8C. Maybe we'll run into each other.

I found it interesting during the configuration at the Dealer that we were unable to delete XFM (PSC2) and add XFK(PSS) tires due to the Z07 Package. Not a very nice restriction given that I'll be driving my Z06 back to Washington state. Just means I have to put PSS on after Museum delivery.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:02 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

I'll continue pass on alot of details and photos from this option. I know what it's like when something gets your interest and you have a hard time finding interesting, informative details and photos about it. Someone I recently spoke with shared this, one of the neat things the factory gives you as part of the engine build experience, a piston trophy. Also the sign from the factory announcing your build experience to the rest of the Bowling Green employees, it looks like the one in photo

Build announcement sign

Piston Trophy

Last edited by mjdart; 03-11-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:34 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

mjdart,

I too am doing the PBC & PD5 along with R8C on my just ordered Z06/3LZ/Z07. Maybe we'll see each other at Bowling Green.

Last edited by DRTBYK; 03-11-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:37 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DRTBYK
mjdart,

I too am doing the PBC & PD5 along with R8C on my just ordered Z06/3LZ/Z07. Maybe we'll see each other at Bowling Green.
Awesome, very close, did you get your order number, I've read they input them to system on Saturday nights each week.

I was also told the factory has a small shop store that sells C7 & Z06 shirts and stuff with Bowling Green logo on them, bring cash as that's all they take and you can't get this stuff anywhere else.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:28 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, Order # and 1100 level status was posted Friday afternoon about an hour after we submitted the order. Looking forward to the "experience."

Last edited by DRTBYK; 03-11-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:36 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tzoid9
OK, MJ, try this article on for size....

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016/...bowling-green/

....as far as hand built Z06 engines being assembled better and/or delivering more HP, or vice versa, that argument will never end. The procedures that were used when the LT4 S/C Z06 engines were being built in both locations were virtually identical....same specs, parts came from the same location, same tooling, assembly techniques were basically the same, build techniques, trouble areas, etc., were openly and continuously shared between the two locations. In fact, the LT4 S/C engines for the ZL1 Camaro and the Cadillac CTS-V are still being built in Tonawanda. The notion that there's some special magic in the B/G engine builds that makes the B/G engine build stronger for the rigors of Tracking or have more horsepower for the demands of racing, is clearly pure B/S. Go ahead and believe what you want, but the facts are pretty self explanatory. We all love the B/G plant and it's product, but don't sell the Tonawanda engine plant short....they were building all the 396 and 427 engines for Chevrolet back in the mid '60's and they are a quality operation with a lot of strong history....they would never want their reputation damaged or tarnished.
Why do you believe I'm saying the LT4 engine is different if it's hand built or assembled by a robot? I don't believe any of that, GM wanted the extra QC for engines going into Z07 equipped Z06 cars because people choosing this option were more likely to track them and they wanted to head off reliabilty or warranty issues by watching closely the assembly process, it's that simple. My father was a 45 year GM reliability engineer, so I know abit about that. I'm not selling Tonawanda short, I grew up 90 miles away and worked with many guys from that factory when they had lay-offs and they came to my plant to work until they were called back. If there is any magic of any sort I would bet on Tonawanda as that's Hallowed ground for Chevrolet engine building!

Last edited by mjdart; 03-11-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:38 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Yes, Order # and 1100 level status was posted Friday afternoon about an hour after we submitted the order. Looking forward to the "experience."
We just may be in town the same week. They only take in one builder per day from what my previous builder friend told me but we could be back to back!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:42 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

MJ....you are getting way too excited about posters trying to understand and agree/disagree to what point you are trying to make. As a suggestion, it's fun reading the subject matter on this Forum that directly pertains to an issue or problem you may be involved with, to see how the other guy(s) are handling or dealing with it. Many times, these guys have the answer to your problem. Now, your comment....

...."GM wanted the extra QC for engines going into Z07 equipped Z06 cars because people choosing this option were more likely to track them and they wanted to head off reliability or warranty issues by watching closely the assembly process, it's that simple."

Now what "reliable source" told you that? Was it your father who had 45 years at GM as a reliability engineer? GM is a massive organization employing 225,000 people and selling over 10,000,000+ vehicles a year...I'm sure they have reliability engineers for everything involved in their businesses...probably hundreds, maybe thousands, of them in different departments and categories throughout the organization. Now, I find it extremely difficult to believe that one of these engineers was able to convince the production units that because the "Z07" option was designed for those owners who wanted to track their cars, hand building (which they really aren't, technically) the Z07 optioned cars' engines was the only way to go to insure reliability. The translation of that statement is that GM has or had, some reliability issues at Tonawanda and because of the "abuse" this engine will take in a Z06-Z07 application, we really have to build them at B/G.

Bottom line is I simply don't believe that story, no how, no way. I could be wrong, but the whole disagreement isn't important enough for me to go on a witch hunt to get to the real truth. If you or anyone else likes believing your reasoning is accurate, wonderful! I don't buy it........and from listening to a few Bowling Green engine builders who occasionally visit this site, they've clearly stated the processes are essentially the same at both locations....horsepower, reliability, paint job, etc., same-same.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

OP very cool and congrats. Wish I could've done it. Maybe next time. It's very cool that GM offers this experience.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Stentplacer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

So jealous! Enjoy the whole experience. Will be in BG mid April for NCM TOUR and VIP TOUR.
So excited to finally get to go.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Are you doing museum delivery too?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Are you doing museum delivery too?
Couldn't do Museum Tour because Aero Package I selected is a dealer installed option and if you select it, museum delivery is over-ridden as not an option.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:21 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Shopping insurance before it's needed, I found that Classic Car Insurance will insure Z06 Corvettes. They list them as exotics, but I thought the price ~ $1,150 per year for 6,000 miles per year driven as pleasure vehicle, occasional trip to work (to show co-workers your baby) wasn't too bad (car declared value was $109,000. I didn't count the engine build and buyers tour $7.5K and gas guzzler tax $1.3K as part of the value of the car. I am swapping (started process today) moving my 1964 Sting Ray Coupe (value $80K) over to Classic Auto Ins. for $612 per year 2,500 mile limit. I was with Hagerty same coverage for $658. This will make adding Z06 to policy much easier (existing policy). They will take new Corvettes alone on a new policy, you need to prove you have other cars as primary transportation (sent scan of current insurance declaration page).

I did call my insurance company (MetLife) for a quote, but they need the VIN number to do so. When I get that I will explore that option.

Last edited by mjdart; 03-13-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:32 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Couldn't do Museum Tour because Aero Package I selected is a dealer installed option and if you select it, museum delivery is over-ridden as not an option.
I got around that by just selecting the Z07 Package(FE7) Of course the down side is that I have not been able to get GM to swap tires to PSS rather than the PSC2's that are part of the Z07 Package - still a rather confusing restriction. Just requires me to buy a set of PSS's after I roll out the door of the Museum and ship the PSC2's home.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Shopping insurance before it's needed, I found that Classic Car Insurance will insure Z06 Corvettes. They list them as exotics, but I thought the price ~ $1,150 per year for 6,000 miles per year driven as pleasure vehicle, occasional trip to work (to show co-workers your baby) wasn't too bad (car declared value was $109,000. I didn't count the engine build and buyers tour $7.5K and gas guzzler tax $1.3K as part of the value of the car. I am swapping (started process today) moving my 1964 Sting Ray Coupe (value $80K) over to Classic Auto Ins. for $612 per year 2,500 mile limit. I was with Hagerty same coverage for $658. This will make adding Z06 to policy much easier (existing policy). They will take new Corvettes alone on a new policy, you need to prove you have other cars as primary transportation (sent scan of current insurance declaration page).

I did call my insurance company (MetLife) for a quote, but they need the VIN number to do so. When I get that I will explore that option.
USAA quoted me $708/yr @ 7000mi/yr. They even have the Z06/3LZ/Z07 listed in their system when I was configuring a quote. Love these guys! Of course they've been my insurer for almost 50yrs now.

Last edited by DRTBYK; 03-13-2017 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (03-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 ordered with Engine Build & Buyers Tour

Old 03-14-2017, 04:07 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Shane Webb from the Corvette Museum just called me. He is the Liaison between the factory and the buyer, he sets everything up and pairs you with a Corvette Factory engine builder. I scheduled my build date for April 25 and my Z06 will be assembled Wed & Thur., the 26th & 27th. Shane is sending a packet of information and he also emails the same. I was required to sign 2 release forms for being in the factory and also a publicity release in case they want to use photos and other material of me in advertising. See a few of 11 pages of information they sent me.

Welcome

Engine Build Agenda

Buyers Tour Overview
Old 03-14-2017, 05:07 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure which one of us he called first...

But... I'm scheduled on April 24th for Engine Build and 25-26 for Car Build.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:13 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Not sure which one of us he called first...

But... I'm scheduled on April 24th for Engine Build and 25-26 for Car Build.
He offered me the 24th and it was a Monday, thinking of the old saying you don't want a car (engine in this case) built on a Monday or Friday so I said Tuesday! Then I thought wait a minute I'm the one building the engine. We'll definitely see each other one of those days!!!

Quick Reply: Z06 ordered with Engine Build & Buyers Tour