C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 ordered with Engine Build & Buyers Tour

Old 04-12-2017, 08:31 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Sounds exciting, hope you have a great time!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:20 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart
I will write him right now! That's a big deal...wow!

Just talked to salesman, yes it's a real deal, if only they (dealer) gets invoiced before the deadline is my concern now!
I can't believe that GM would let us build the Engine and then Produce the car before Invoicing the Dealer. I'm expecting a VIN# (Invoice) this week or early next week.
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (04-22-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

Did two Buyer Tours with Al.

Great guy and very knowledgeable.

Have a great time.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:26 PM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart
Just received this update about the buyers tour which comes after the engine build:

I wanted to share some information regarding your upcoming Buyers Tour. Here’s where things stand as of today (4/11).

The car is estimated to be at trim (start of your tour) on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 and estimated to come off-line (end of your tour) on Thursday, April 27, 2017.

As it stands right now, your tour is scheduled to begin 9:30 AM (CDT) on 4/26/17. This is the time you and your (1) guest would need to be at the Plant to meet your guide.

Mr. Al Hurlbutt has been scheduled to be your guide/photographer. He will meet you at the Plant at 9:30 AM (CDT) on 4/26/17.
It's time to get very excited! Here are 2 pictures of my (hand built) engine and car coming down the line. I now have 9k miles on it and it still runs, but my Cup2's are down to the last miles.
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by VetterFlyer:
DRTBYK (04-13-2017), mjdart (04-19-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 07:52 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by VetterFlyer
It's time to get very excited! Here are 2 pictures of my (hand built) engine and car coming down the line. I now have 9k miles on it and it still runs, but my Cup2's are down to the last miles.
Wow, that's what I'm talking about, members cars being build, very cool thanks for posting those!!!

Got another update from museum today:

Lori Bieschke
9:41 AM (10 hours ago)

Hello Michael,

Just wanted to check in with you.

Here’s where things will stand as of Tuesday (4/18) morning. Please note the time change regarding your tour.

The car is estimated to be at trim (start of your tour) on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 and estimated to come off-line (end of your tour) on Thursday, April 27, 2017.

As it stands right now, your tour is scheduled to begin 11:15 AM (CDT) on 4/26/17. This is the time you and your (1) guest would need to be at the Plant to meet your guide.

Mr. Al Hurlbutt has been scheduled to be your guide/photographer. He will meet you at the Plant at 11:15 AM (CDT) on 4/26/17.

As I am made aware of any changes I’ll be in touch with you.

Please contact me directly for any questions regarding your upcoming tour.

Regards,

Lori

Last edited by mjdart; 04-17-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Did you get your VIN# yet? Just received a email from Lori with mine.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:03 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Corvette Museum just sent me my VIN........thanks Lori...!!!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:54 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have this nagging feeling that we may get screwed out of the J57 Rebate. According to my Dealer, J57 is good through end-of-business on 1MAY. It appears as though GM Invoices at Level 4150 which is just prior to Vehicle at Dealer - which would be NCM. That shortens the time frame significantly but I'm not sure that will be enough to make the J57 deadline.

If the Invoice level (4150) is reached before Midnight on 30APR the Dealer will have the Invoice in the Globe Dealer system on or before Monday 1MAY. Sure hope R8C speeds up the Status Level process once the vehicle is produced.
mjdart (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Yeah I know we're cutting it close on discounts, I also have my C2 Sting Ray "owner loyalty $2K that expires at the same time and my GM Master Card has a $1K bonus discount expiring 5/1/17. Maybe the will carry on incentives into May....I hope!

Got another update, my build start is moving around quite a bit, latest update today.

Hello Michael,

Just checking in with you.

Here’s where things stand as of morning (4/19). Please note the time change regarding your tour.

As it stands right now, your tour is scheduled to begin 9:45 AM (CDT) on 4/26/17. This is the time you and your (1) guest would need to be at the Plant to meet your guide.

Mr. Al Hurlbutt has been scheduled to be your guide/photographer. He will meet you at the Plant at 9:45 AM (CDT) on 4/26/17.

As I am made aware of any changes I’ll be in touch with you.

Please contact me directly for any questions regarding your upcoming tour.

Regards,

Lori

Last edited by mjdart; 04-19-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:50 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah, my Buyers Tour start time has been fluctuating as well. I think the production schedule slipped a bit due to the Easter Weekend and now it is catching back up.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

More info....

Michael,

The dinner associated with the PD5 option will be the evening of April 26th at 6:00 PM (CT) at Montana Grille. Chuck Valentini (Body and Paint Manager)and Al Hurlbutt your photograper will be joining you.

The address for the restaurant is below.

1740 Scottsville Rd.

Bowling Green, KY 42104

Shane Webb
National Corvette Museum
Delivery Department Manager
Phone: 1-800-205-4248 or 270-777-4505
Email: Shane@corvettemuseum.org

Ahhh...Having dinner with the Corvette Body & Paint Manager, I'm confident the paint on the my Z06 will meet the high standards all of us expect!

Last edited by mjdart; 04-21-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Hi Michael,

Here’s where things stand as of this morning (4/21). Please note the time change regarding your tour.
The vehicle build with associated Buyers Tour start is a constantly moving target, kudos to factory providing information daily to Corvette Museum representatives.

As it stands right now, your tour is scheduled to begin at 12:00 PM (CDT) on 4/26/17. This is the time you and your (1) guest would need to be at the Plant to meet your guide.

Mr. Al Hurlbutt is still scheduled to be your guide/photographer. He will meet you at the Plant at 12:00 PM (CDT) on 4/26/17.

Regards,

Shane Webb
National Corvette Museum
Delivery Department Manager
Phone: 1-800-205-4248 or 270-777-4505
Email: Shane@corvettemuseum.org
Old 04-24-2017, 02:53 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Well I made it to Bowling Green. Drove right up to factory and found parking spot for Engine Build also where you enter for buyers tour and regular plant tours. My hotel over looks the factory! You can see by the wheels on my caddy why I ordered the chrome Z06 wheels.

Parked at Americas Best Value Hotel overlooking Corvette Assembly Factory

harmRSP (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:56 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

That's DRTBYK's rental in the parking spot, he's in building his engine right now! I don't know what those other two parking spots are all about?
harmRSP (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:22 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

And a terrific day it was!!! Kathy Walker was my Engine Guide and I think she is going to be yours tomorrow as well. She's a hoot! Everything went really well and I managed to finish up the assembly by 1:40PM. The HOT test is...well, you'll see. If you're even close to being a 'motor-head', this engine is about as high-tech a design as you can get for a single cam, pushrod two-valve configuration.

What a great day. Have fun tomorrow.
mjdart (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 12:56 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DRTBYK
And a terrific day it was!!! Kathy Walker was my Engine Guide and I think she is going to be yours tomorrow as well. She's a hoot! Everything went really well and I managed to finish up the assembly by 1:40PM. The HOT test is...well, you'll see. If you're even close to being a 'motor-head', this engine is about as high-tech a design as you can get for a single cam, pushrod two-valve configuration.

What a great day. Have fun tomorrow.
Looking forward to it, I had dinner with a guy and his son I ran into and they were watching you build, they thought Kathy was you your wife cause they said "she seems to be showing him how to do a lot of things, she must be mechanically inclined"...lol...I couldn't tell them any different. Now hearing that it wasn't your wife it was Kathy I'm really laughing!
harmRSP (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 AM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I think I know the group they were in. The tour-guide was making all kinds wise cracks that we could hear in the PBC. I won't mention what Kathy's response was. I've built quite a few engines up in my 68yrs - twins, triples, fours, inline Sixes and V8's - none as sophisticated as the LT4. Nice to have someone to pull the torque sheets for you. But, I was able to do all build operations in pretty good time. Hope you had the same terrific day!
VetterFlyer (04-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 ordered with Engine Build & Buyers Tour

Old 04-25-2017, 06:00 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Great experience today, welcome by the plant engine builders and many from the management team all of whom were warm and welcoming. Kai Spande the Plant Manager came to meet with me and spent quite some time with me as we swapped stories, they were all very appreciative for my participation. Bryan Lee the Performance Build Center Area Leader has a great group and he should be proud. One of the builders has been reading the post and came over to meet me. My engine builder Sarah was great, she takes pride in what she's doing and she got me going, as at first its information overload as you begin building and performing QC checks on the piston assembly and rods as you give proper orientation to the rings, install bearings and oil the components. Al Hurbutt my photographer took hundreds of photos of every operation I performed building the engine.

We ran extensive testing on the engine to make sure all QC points are checked and double checked and then buddy checked. Then they use extensive computer monitored testing including leak testing by pressurizing the engine with air and watching leakdown rates on both water and oil sections of the engine.

Then they take in and attach it to a stand and spin it up monitoring vibration data on many parts and also thing like the oil pump.

After being unplugged it's taken down to the hot stand where fuel pumped in pressurizing the rails, plug wires are installed and lots of other details. Then they spin it up and add ignition and it fires to life. After a minute or so they pulled off the exhaust connections and ran it with open headers, that sounded really good. The engine is the put by itself on a stand waiting to join up with the car as they begin building it Wednesday after noon. Looks like I'll be watching the build all day Thursday as well and then into Friday as it will roll off the line.

The photo below is of the nameplate I attached to my engine and the one my builder Sarah attaches when she builds one.

I got to take place in an emergency evacuation of the plant drill, after we all mustered outside, I took the opportunity to sneak back in side, climb the partition to see shat that secret project is they're working on, everyone will be quite pleased

Once I get my photos and my book they will put together after the build. I'll post much more with details.

Last edited by mjdart; 04-25-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:58 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Poster sign that greeted me when I arrived at the Performance Build Center

Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

One of the neat gifts given to me at the completion of the build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 ordered with Engine Build & Buyers Tour