C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Am I lugging my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Corvettepractical
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I lugging my engine?

Am I lugging my engine?

I’m a first-time corvette owner and my driving frame of reference comes from the only other two cars I’ve owned, a 95 Honda civic and a 2010 Toyota Prius.

In my civic, it was obvious if I was lugging my engine, in the Z06 there seems to be immediate acceleration in just about any gear I’m in (not complaining, just don’t know if I’m lugging my engine).

Under flat and normal driving conditions my typical shift pattern is around (+-3 mph) the following:
1st gear: 0-20 mph
2nd gear: 20-30 mph
3rd gear: 30-40 mph
4th gear: 40-50 mph
5th gear: 50-60 mph
6th gear: 60-70 mph
7th gear: 70 + mph

So I would like to ask the corvette community for their perspective on if:
1. My shifting habits are normal and
2. I am lugging my engine?

Or am I to believe what I found in other lugging threads where according to GM operating the vehicle under 900 rpm is considered lugging the engine.

http:////www.corvetteforum.com/forum...m-lugging.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...h-lugging.html

Your advice is much appreciated.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

When running around town I try to keep revs below 2000 rpm preferably below 1500. The Z06 has more torque at 1000 rpm (about 450), than the cars you mentioned have at their peak torque point. You can start in low gear just by letting the clutch out gently and never depress the throttle.

If you operate below 900 you are lugging the engine like GM says. As for what other people say I believe that GM is very conservative on what they recommend for the engine so if they say don't drive with the rpms below 900 rpm they mean it will do 900. I suspect they know more about it than the so called experts who don't know how the engine was designed.

One thing I have found out is that in Eco Mode my car seems to get an added 1 or more mpg just by driving in 6th gear Vs 7th at 70 mph. In 7th the only time the engine goes into V4 mode is when the vehicle is on a perfectly flat road or going downhill. In 6th the extra gear provided by 6th gear enables 4 cylinder mode more often and actually produces better gas mileage.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Corvettepractical (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't see how at those speeds in those gears, you'd be at 900 rpm or under, but yah, 900 rpm and under wouldn't be optimal and over time, would be more damaging than not.
The following users liked this post:
Corvettepractical (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:56 AM
Corvettepractical
4th Gear

Default Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
I don't see how at those speeds in those gears, you'd be at 900 rpm or under, but yah, 900 rpm and under wouldn't be optimal and over time, would be more damaging than not.
Sorry, didn't make myself clear FastestBusaAround. You are correct when traveling at posted speed per gear I'm around 2000 rpms.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Corvettepractical
4th Gear

Default Bill you the man !!!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When running around town I try to keep revs below 2000 rpm preferably below 1500. The Z06 has more torque at 1000 rpm (about 450), than the cars you mentioned have at their peak torque point. You can start in low gear just by letting the clutch out gently and never depress the throttle.

If you operate below 900 you are lugging the engine like GM says. As for what other people say I believe that GM is very conservative on what they recommend for the engine so if they say don't drive with the rpms below 900 rpm they mean it will do 900. I suspect they know more about it than the so called experts who don't know how the engine was designed.

One thing I have found out is that in Eco Mode my car seems to get an added 1 or more mpg just by driving in 6th gear Vs 7th at 70 mph. In 7th the only time the engine goes into V4 mode is when the vehicle is on a perfectly flat road or going downhill. In 6th the extra gear provided by 6th gear enables 4 cylinder mode more often and actually produces better gas mileage.

Bill
Thanks for the piece of mind, it will make for even more enjoyable rides now that I know I'm not screwing up my engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I lugging my engine?

Quick Reply: Am I lugging my engine?