C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Installing a harness bar, quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:11 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Installing a harness bar, quick question.

What is the part number for the interior panels that need to be cut?

I know I've seen it here somewhere. I did a search and can't seem to find it again.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:48 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Depends on the harness bar you are installing. The BK bar modifies the upper panel, Shark and others, cuts the lower.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fleming23
Depends on the harness bar you are installing. The BK bar modifies the upper panel, Shark and others, cuts the lower.
Oops, should have included that.

Shark.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
Oops, should have included that.

Shark.
I just ordered the precut panels from Vetteworks. That way I saved the original quarter panels for when I take the bar out. I found out with my C6Z that GM made small changes to the interior quarter panels over the years. I was lucky that I saved my original panels since I would have needed to modify things to get newer ones to fit.

It is highly likely that when you sell your car you will sell the bar separately and potential buyers aren't going to be very happy spending money on a car with holes in the interior panels.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-23-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:06 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Bill I know you measured before picking your shark bar. Where did the harnesses angles end up with the shark vs BK bars on the Competition seats? Wondering which will be within spec or if both work.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I just ordered the precut panels from Vetteworks. That way I saved the original quarter panels for when I take the bar out. I found out with my C6Z that GM made small changes to the interior quarter panels over the years. I was lucky that I saved my original panels since I would have needed to modify things to get newer ones to fit.

It is highly likely that when you sell your car you will sell the bar separately and potential buyers aren't going to be very happy spending money on a car with holes in the interior panels.

Bill
Thanks Bill,

I greatly value your opinion.

I plan on keeping my original panels virgin for just that reason.

I have the ability to buy GM stuff at a pretty good price and I'm a machinist by trade. I was going to order a new set of panels and machine them myself, just need the GM part numbers.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Bill I know you measured before picking your shark bar. Where did the harnesses angles end up with the shark vs BK bars on the Competition seats? Wondering which will be within spec or if both work.
I didn't have a lot of info on the BK bar when I made the purchase. With the Shark Bar I had a fair number of pictures showing the installation of the bar and where it was located. With that info I drove out to HMS Motorsports and had them help me make some measurements before I purchased the bar. They laid some things in the back of the car to represent our best estimate (from the pictures) of where the top of the bar was located and had me sit in the seat and ran a straight edge from my shoulders (with HANS on) to the top of the bar. Then one of them used his iPhone to measure the angle. It came out to 22 degrees below my shoulders (Vs Schroth Spec of 20 degrees). They said the degree angle was a guide and being within 2 degrees will work. That is when I ordered and installed the Shark Bar and the BK lap/sub belt mounts. After everything was installed I went back to HMS and we checked the installation with some belts in place. That is where I found I needed to move the seat back forward to get a clear path from my shoulders to the top of the bar. So I sit with my knees close to the dash knee bolster with the seat bottom angled upward in the front as they taught at Spring Mountain and I have the seat back inclined somewhat forward to provide clearance for the belts to go from my shoulders to the bar. If I don't tilt the seat back forward the shoulder belts hit the top of the seat pass through and the seat back becomes part of the restraint system which isn't strong enough to do.

The seat back isn't tilted very far forward so isn't uncomfortable to me but it is further forward than when I am driving on the street using the 3 point belts.

The reason this has to be done is because the pass through holes in the seat back are very low compared to a regular race seat.

I am about 5' 10" tall so people that are much taller than me may not be able to use the Comp Seats with race harnesses. You can only tilt the seat back forward so far before it would become uncomfortable or force taller drivers heads into the roof panel.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Dabigsnake (01-24-2017), rsilver (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I found the part numbers for the black panels. Ordered from my local dealer, received and verified they are correct.
Less than $50.00 each online.
Hope this helps someone else.

Left side WHEELHOUSE TRIM #23446109
Right side WHEELHOUSE TRIM #23446111

Last edited by Rookieracer; 03-22-2017 at 07:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rsilver (03-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a harness bar, quick question.

Quick Reply: Installing a harness bar, quick question.