C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Suntek vs the rest

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Suntek vs the rest

Good day . Just got back from local dealership . Found out that they have someone there that installs Suntek film on cars . How does Suntek Compare to 3m and Xpel ?
The car ( 2015 Z06 ) is home here sitting in garage waiting for spring . Stone chips from previous 2 summers are driving me mad , only to know that there will be more coming this year owing to the area where I live
( dusty and appalling roads ) .
Old 04-01-2017, 02:47 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

I have my entire car wrapped in Suntek and love it. It is not as thick as the other PPF's, but if you're not planning on tracking the car its fine. People don't even notice it on mine. The most important thing is making sure the installer does proper paint correction before installing and is a qualified installer.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by BOBSZ857
I have my entire car wrapped in Suntek and love it. It is not as thick as the other PPF's, but if you're not planning on tracking the car its fine. People don't even notice it on mine. The most important thing is making sure the installer does proper paint correction before installing and is a qualified installer.
That's sorta why I'm a worried . Guy works for the dealership but hes one of the car salesmen there . He wraps the front ends of lots of pickups , seems to do a decent job but I don't think he's a qualified installer . As for the paint correction , what does that entail ?
Old 04-01-2017, 07:28 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazman1960
That's sorta why I'm a worried . Guy works for the dealership but hes one of the car salesmen there . He wraps the front ends of lots of pickups , seems to do a decent job but I don't think he's a qualified installer . As for the paint correction , what does that entail ?
Depending on the condition of the original paint, it is the process of going over the entire car with a multiple step process to eliminate imperfections in the paint. Could be swirl marks, orange peel, minor scratches. It needs to be done properly or they will still be visible after the film is applied. When I got mine done, the installer also stated that the C7 is a difficult car to do because of the body lines on it,especially the hood and front fenders. My suggestion to you is to find a reputable installer who has experience with paint correction and go with them. Hopes this helps and good luck.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:48 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Kaz my old friend! You need to make a trip down and get her covered Lol... You know my opinion on CPel as I have it it on since we bought new. The only thing I might mention if you can get XPel is their 10yr warranty if you can find a qualified installer. You may be limited to the Suntek up there. I also believe there is a smoother end look to the Suntek.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:14 AM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Suntek on my last 3 corvettes - awesome film, self healing, crystal clear and from my experience very durable. I'd recommend it.
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (04-07-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 AM
hawk02
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
Suntek on my last 3 corvettes - awesome film, self healing, crystal clear and from my experience very durable. I'd recommend it.
I second that on the Suntek. I have it covering the entire front end of my ZL1. Can't tell what areas are covered with film and what areas are not.
Attached Images  
mjdart (04-07-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 09:31 AM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Beautiful ZL1! Looks stunning in black.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by hawk02
I second that on the Suntek. I have it covering the entire front end of my ZL1. Can't tell what areas are covered with film and what areas are not.
Awesome looking car
Old 04-02-2017, 10:18 AM
hawk02
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
Beautiful ZL1! Looks stunning in black.
Awesome looking car
Thanks to both of you.

This is my first experience with paint protection film. I decided to go with it because of a concern that the black color would really show off paint chips. I got estimates for Xpel, Llumar and Suntek. Decided on Suntek because it's considered by many to be the smoothest and clearest of all the major films. The positive reviews on this forum didn't hurt either.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,538 Likes on 526 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Let me be honest I've had both on multiple cars and half car was done in one vs the other. You can't tell the difference between xpel and suntek. They are both awesome products. Use what your installer prefers that is the better question to ask. If equal, go with the cheaper one, whichever that may be!
Old 04-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Let me be honest I've had both on multiple cars and half car was done in one vs the other. You can't tell the difference between xpel and suntek. They are both awesome products. Use what your installer prefers that is the better question to ask. If equal, go with the cheaper one, whichever that may be!
Great answer , my worry is , the guy who does the installs just does it on his own . He works for the dealership but I don't think hes what you would call a " Pro " . They do the front end s of lots of trucks up here, again , due to the state of our roads and where we live . Checking my car today , I have some chips on there already again due to the dust bowl we live in up here .
Old 04-03-2017, 11:42 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

IMHO never use an installer recommended by a dealership, unless it's perhaps a Porsche type of one; and even then do your research. The installer is so much more important than the film, and trust me you normally really do get what you pay for.

I would check with your local Corvette, Porsche PCA, BMW CCA clubs etc. to see who might be recommended. Check their BBB status, as well as other on-line reviews.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Psyence
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I am having Suntek installed as we speak on everything except the rear fascia and rear trunk (until I have a paint issue fixed).

I do have some current info... when I was there, there was a black Z06 getting done. It had dealer installed Xpel. While I was there they had some parts of my car done in Suntek. The Suntek is definitely crystal clear. The Xpel looked almost cloudy to me and definitely more ripples in the finish. He also told me that Xpel can yellow over time and said the Suntek does not. He installs both and the Suntek is cheaper so I don't think he has much to gain by stating these things.

The warranty on the Suntek is 10 years and same with Xpel as well. I know some people have been wondering.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Psyence; 04-03-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Kazman1960 (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by Psyence
I am having Suntek installed as we speak on everything except the rear fascia and rear trunk (until I have a paint issue fixed).

I do have some current info... when I was there, there was a black Z06 getting done. It had dealer installed Xpel. While I was there they had some parts of my car done in Suntek. The Suntek is definitely crystal clear. The Xpel looked almost cloudy to me and definitely more ripples in the finish. He also told me that Xpel can yellow over time and said the Suntek does not. He installs both and the Suntek is cheaper so I don't think he has much to gain by stating these things.

The warranty on the Suntek is 10 years and same with Xpel as well. I know some people have been wondering.

My 2 cents.
Thanks for that reply , my biggest decision is either stay in town and get the Suntek applied or drive for 8 hrs to get Xpel . I would have no worries getting the Suntek IF the installer was a pro , however hes not . He sells cars at the dealership by day , installs the Suntek as a second job . Like I said , I just saw a 2017 Z06 that he did , looks OK but ...........
Old 04-03-2017, 08:46 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Thanks for that reply , my biggest decision is either stay in town and get the Suntek applied or drive for 8 hrs to get Xpel . I would have no worries getting the Suntek IF the installer was a pro , however hes not . He sells cars at the dealership by day , installs the Suntek as a second job . Like I said , I just saw a 2017 Z06 that he did , looks OK but ...........
You are right on target with your thoughts. I have Xpel because of the supposedly greater durability Xpel has over Suntek. Where I live, the roads are almost always spotted with debris, mostly very small stones like pea gravel, so I wanted that durablity. From a shine standpoint, I've heard they are both equal and also heard the Suntek is a tad more brilliant. Don't see how that's possible, but on my black Z06, it looks every bit as good as that other poster's Suntek job on his ZL1 Camaro. All that's fine and dandy, but believe me, the installer is the magic. Get a certified, factory trained by the film's manufacturer, to install whichever you decide to buy. You will definitely be happier with the job and it will come with the full manufacturer's warranty, no questions asked. Good luck and follow your advice!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Psyence
Instructor

Another thing I will mention is... Most installers here use pre-cut pieces to install either Xpel or Suntek. You can see these on the Xpel web site here.

I also saw them installing some when I was there and it isn't rocket science. Wet the car down with whatever solution they use, smooth out the pieces. The big thing is that they wrap edges when they can from what I can tell but most of the pre-cut pieces just fit the panel on the face with the exception of the hood and i'm sure a few other areas.

I am no expert as this is my first time getting it but did my research and went with the guy that I could see his work first hand. I will post detailed photos when mine is done if that will help.. Should be picking it up tomorrow night.
Kazman1960 (04-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Suntek vs the rest

Old 04-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Another thing I will mention is... Most installers here use pre-cut pieces to install either Xpel or Suntek. You can see these on the Xpel web site here.

I also saw them installing some when I was there and it isn't rocket science. Wet the car down with whatever solution they use, smooth out the pieces. The big thing is that they wrap edges when they can from what I can tell but most of the pre-cut pieces just fit the panel on the face with the exception of the hood and i'm sure a few other areas.

I am no expert as this is my first time getting it but did my research and went with the guy that I could see his work first hand. I will post detailed photos when mine is done if that will help.. Should be picking it up tomorrow night.
That would be great if you can post some pics .
Old 04-03-2017, 09:07 PM
Psyence
Instructor

That would be great if you can post some pics .
Anything specific you'd like to see?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Anything specific you'd like to see?
Couple of close ups around rear , say from door / gas cap area back to rear spoiler , also front end views

Quick Reply: Suntek vs the rest