C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is the NCM Bash a big enough stage for Corvette new product announcements?

Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Raisin Man
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Is the NCM Bash a big enough stage for Corvette new product announcements?

Pardon the length of this post, but this issue has been rolling around in my head for awhile.

In the last couple of years, it’s apparent that Corvette has been less than forthcoming about announcing or disclosing new or different (or improved) product for the immediate model year ahead at the NCM Bash. Until the last couple of years, it seemed that Corvette was comfortable disclosing Corvette product plans for the new model year ahead at the NCM Bash, without too much in the way of reservation or qualification.

In April 2016, Corvette was reluctant to discuss plans for the 2017 ZO6 (which represented a considerable percentage of overall Corvette sales) in much detail pending rumored product improvements in cooling and production delays related thereto. I traveled a considerable distance to attend the 2016 NCM Bash in anticipation of detailed 2017 ZO6 information from the Corvette program, but not much information was offered on mechanical changes or upgrades to the ZO6 platform. It’s noteworthy that 2017 ZO6 mechanical changes and upgrades to the ZO6 platform were announced in more detail later for model year 2017 – just not at the NCM Bash.

In April 2017, Corvette cognoscenti once again face the prospect of exciting 2018 product mechanical changes and upgrades in the form of ZR1 (or whatever it’s called) but once again – likely not at the NCM Bash – even though I’m willing to bet (famous last words!) ZR1 ends up being designated a 2018 model year vehicle.

Is this a trend or a short-lived anomaly? Even if all the detail isn’t made available on Corvette plans for the year ahead, why are Corvette and GM reluctant to discuss exciting plans with the faithful the NCM Bash at the end of the current model year? Do you think GM and Corvette believe there’s more cachet rolling out significant new product announcements elsewhere throughout the year? A few recent significant product announcements – think Ford GT and Corvette Grand Sport were unveiled to much larger audiences at NAIAS and Geneva, respectively. I’m sure the NCM Bash will continue to be important, but my sense is it’s becoming somewhat less important venue for new Corvette-related product introductions.

What do you think?
Old 04-04-2017, 02:45 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Agree with your assessment. The bash seems to focus on upcoming changes to current production, not new models.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

If GM has a new model of Corvette to show off, they'll likely wait till a large, international auto show. That's where the eyes and attention are. No one in the automotive world knows much nor cares much about the Birthday Bash in Bowling Green. That's really a Corvette-only thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by jvp:
DAC17 (04-04-2018), Jus Cruisin (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Been to quite a few Bashes.......... I did not see any press around there like the big car shows. So no big announcements at BG IMHO.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

^^^jvp, My feelings exactly....

Last edited by Jus Cruisin; 04-04-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:33 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

GM's marketing for the Corvette is all about letting social media do it for them and it has turned into a very profitable event for the museum and the businesses in Bowling Green. We have been going to this event for years and the program is very repetitious with a few changes like an art class with wine. It has turned into a Club reunion event, try to get a room at a decent price it you are not in a club.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:01 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've have press passes for the NY auto show next week. They unveiled the Z06 vert there. I'll keep my eyes open. That said I already knew the vert was going to be there a few weeks before hand and haven't heard any inside news this time around. I'm not expecting much but would love to be surprised.

Best,
Gene
Old 04-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by OVR60
GM's marketing for the Corvette is all about letting social media do it for them and it has turned into a very profitable event for the museum and the businesses in Bowling Green. We have been going to this event for years and the program is very repetitious with a few changes like an art class with wine. It has turned into a Club reunion event, try to get a room at a decent price it you are not in a club.
Yes its not the event back in the day when the C5 registery established it. Lot more fun parking lot full of vendors. Only "club" even back then was someone would organize restaurant events by car colors.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:29 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Yes its not the event back in the day when the C5 registery established it. Lot more fun parking lot full of vendors. Only "club" even back then was someone would organize restaurant events by car colors.
even when c5 registry was the "host" it was NOT geared to announcements of new product, etc. - it was still billed as a bash to get people to the museum
Old 04-04-2017, 02:47 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

only thing really revelaed at bash is new colors or options packages during mid year cycles it seems
Old 04-04-2017, 02:52 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
only thing really revelaed at bash is new colors or options packages during mid year cycles it seems
Or plant upgrades. I'm sure we'll hear more about the new paint system but unfortunately not enough about new model changes.
The following users liked this post:
Raisin Man (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by jvp
If GM has a new model of Corvette to show off, they'll likely wait till a large, international auto show. That's where the eyes and attention are. No one in the automotive world knows much nor cares much about the Birthday Bash in Bowling Green. That's really a Corvette-only thing.

^^^ This.....
Old 04-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Will they announce a A10 for the 2018????
Old 04-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,565 Likes on 859 Posts

There's also an old saying sell what's on the truck. Announcing new products too soon can impact existing sales. Also the R&D work may not be completed yet so final design/configurations may not be done yet. Nothing pisses off a consumer more then telling them you're going to do X and then do Y.

As someone said with NEW models you want the biggest impact (all about brand recognition/marketing) so announcing a new model at a Corvette show not so much.
Raisin Man (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Raisin Man
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Some good comments! I was probably behind the curve in thinking that the special relationship between NCM and the Corvette program still extended to (and included) the privilege of being the go-to venue for most new product announcements as with prior generations of the car – but recent Corvette product introductions suggest otherwise.

The NCM Bash historically has been a decent show and offered the opportunity to actively research a planned Corvette purchase in real-time with members of the Corvette team close aboard for questions, etc. I agree some of this is less important given the wealth of information available via the web. Obviously, NCM will always retain a special role with enthusiasts for Corvette product information and promotion, but Corvette product development cycles and other marketing issues dictate the use of other venues to promote the brand.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by Raisin Man
Some good comments! I was probably behind the curve in thinking that the special relationship between NCM and the Corvette program still extended to (and included) the privilege of being the go-to venue for most new product announcements as with prior generations of the car – but recent Corvette product introductions suggest otherwise.

The NCM Bash historically has been a decent show and offered the opportunity to actively research a planned Corvette purchase in real-time with members of the Corvette team close aboard for questions, etc. I agree some of this is less important given the wealth of information available via the web. Obviously, NCM will always retain a special role with enthusiasts for Corvette product information and promotion, but Corvette product development cycles and other marketing issues dictate the use of other venues to promote the brand.
I have found if you want to press the flesh with folks from gm that Carlisle is the place. At the museum the dudes are only there for a limited time and lot of folks after them. At Carlisle I have had many questions answered by the folks who design features and can answer questions.

Two examples a couple years ago I had a good discussion with the young engineer who designed the navigation system. Nice guy open to ideas. I chased a problem in a c5 for several years with lot of opinions. Got the real answer from an engineer at Carlisle. Sometimes it's great to just easedrop on conversations.

In the gm tent at Carlisle there are maybe a dozen cars and the same amount of knowledgeable gm employees there. Plus they give seminars too but too many folks at a seminar asking basic questions.
Raisin Man (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Will they announce a A10 for the 2018????
Not sure, however there is a seminar on the agenda that reviews the transmission evolution up through the A10. Coincidence?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Raisin Man
I was probably behind the curve in thinking that the special relationship between NCM and the Corvette program still extended to (and included) the privilege of being the go-to venue for most new product announcements as with prior generations of the car – but recent Corvette product introductions suggest otherwise.
The NCM shows have never been used by GM to announce new models of the Corvette. Ever. They've only ever displayed things that have already been announced, or on certain occasions displaying some of the options or colors available for the next MY. Again: the NCM show is small potatoes in the grand automotive scheme of things. It's not even on anyone's RADAR.
The following 2 users liked this post by jvp:
mdb917 (04-04-2018), Raisin Man (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 04:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
There's also an old saying sell what's on the truck. Announcing new products too soon can impact existing sales. Also the R&D work may not be completed yet so final design/configurations may not be done yet. Nothing pisses off a consumer more then telling them you're going to do X and then do Y.

As someone said with NEW models you want the biggest impact (all about brand recognition/marketing) so announcing a new model at a Corvette show not so much.
Very good thought on this.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the NCM Bash a big enough stage for Corvette new product announcements?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the NCM Bash a big enough stage for Corvette new product announcements?