C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Trailer to tow my 2015 ZO6 /ZO7

Old 04-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Jsmall
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer to tow my 2015 ZO6 /ZO7

I am looking to purchase a trailer for my 2015zo6 with z07 option. I would also like a tire rack on it as well. does anyone have a suggestion
Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,337 Likes on 882 Posts

Do you want an enclosed trailer or open trailer? New or Used?

What type of truck do you have to pull it?
On the enclosed trailer, do you want the side door to exit the car?
What length are you looking at?
Look at axel strength. 5000lb or 7500lb
How many D-rings for tie down

Trailex makes an all aluminum trailer but it's $16K.
http://www.trailex.com/enclosed_sports_car_trailers.cfm

Look at craigslist in your area. Depending on what you want, you could probably get a nice, clean enclosed trailer for $6k ~ $8k. There's probably cheaper ones if you search.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I have a featherlite 3182 with the airdam, toolbox, and tire rack. It is super easy to tie the car down on and very light. I do use a set of race ramp extenders to make sure I don't drag the splitter.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:00 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Way too open of a question to answer. I had an $8k Aluma 18' tilt that works, and now have a $32k inTech enclosed. How much money do you want to spend. You can get by with a few thousand dollar cheap steel trailer and a set of race ramps, just be sure the trailer is 8.5' wide fender to fender.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:17 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 271 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Por-sha

I also went with the 3182 feather lite, it's a new design which is 6 inches wider between the fenders which really helps with the wide body Z06. I went 18ft, tire race, air damn, and 6000 winch... I have never trailed before so I went open aluminum as I wanted something light and easy to handle

I leased a Ford F-150 XLT with max trailer two package and backup pro assist which uses a **** on the dash to control backing trailer up for you! Your hands stay off the steering wheel and you look at the screen check out the demonstration videos on YouTube, glad I have this feature on the truck, also got the integrated brake controller

i pick up the trailer in 10 days it was completed at feather lite now awaiting shipment

If you want something easy to handle go open aluminum
Old 04-13-2017, 05:39 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 479 Posts

I guess they make trucks like boats now...joysticks for docking to simplify the process.

The trick with backing a trailer was to grip the BOTTOM of the steering wheel with one hand. Then turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to move while backing up.

Last edited by spearfish25; 04-13-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
I guess they make trucks like boats now...joysticks for docking to simplify the process.

The trick with backing a trailer was to grip the BOTTOM of the steering wheel with one hand. Then turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to move while backing up.
I have this feature on my F-150 as well and while I have plenty of experience backing a trailer it really is handy. The main difference compared to doing it your self is that it is self centering and can detect changes in the trailer's direction before you would ordinarily see them in the side mirrors. Turn it on, and start backing up, and it always goes in a straight line until you turn the ****.

As far as buying a trailer is concerned - width matters. I originally bought a 3100 open trailer and with the track wheels on it the trailer was too narrow. Also, the 3110 had a lip around the edges which could catch the sidewall if you weren't careful. The lip also means you have to reach over the lip, then under the CF side skirts, to hook up the frame hooks which was a bit of a pain. A true flat deck like on the 3182 make that much easier.

I've had enclosed trailers as big as a 34' gooseneck. However, the open trailer is much easier to load and unload. No crawling around trying to hook up straps or climbing out through the roof.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:08 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had a number of trailers, open and enclosed, big and small I've never had a trailer I like as much as my current Trailex enclosed trailer. I have most of the options available on it however the two most important ones that I wouldn't want to do without would be interior height of 6'(especially with the tire rack option) and the swing up side doors on both sides. Its as easy to load and unload the car as with an open trailer. It pulls great with a half ton PU and can be pulled with an SUV.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:13 AM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

This is what I have for mine. I would say this is about average (not cheap but not overly expensive) but the choice you make may depend on how often you intend on using it. We decided on the enclosed trailer so that we can use it for other things besides hauling a car when needed. The interior measurements on this trailer are 20'6" long, 8' wide, and 6'7" in height. The trailer is called a Super Race Coach by Interstate and weighs 3790 empty with a GVWR of 10k. The MSRP on them is listed around 17k but they are always on sale for around 11k. Not saying "get this", just showing you an option to consider depending upon your situation.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:21 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Good looking, and reasonable trailer ^^^^^

Can you open your driver's door with that escape door? On my last enclosed it would clear the door but not the metal lip that framed the door, unfortunately. I could have solved it by driving on a 2x10 or something but instead relied on my winch to get the car in and out.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:44 AM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I did not have an issue opening the door; however, I have not tried it again since I lowered the car all the way down so hopefully I won't have an issue. I have a Bendpak lift in the garage and before I lowered the car, I could just drive over it but now I put a section of 2x12 up front to keep it from scrapping the lift so I will see how it goes in the trailer the next time I put it in there. I also have a winch for the car but I have not used it yet. I put it in there more for loading a car that is not operational but we will see if I need it.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer to tow my 2015 ZO6 /ZO7

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer to tow my 2015 ZO6 /ZO7