C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Confused in buying C6 Z06 or C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:48 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

I think the question is silly. It should be a C6ZR or C7Z.

the C6Z is clearly a level down in all areas. Which it should be. Every generation the car one ups itself so to speak.

Nothing wrong with the C6Z. Other than it got old and a newer more sophisticated and better one came along.

do you yearn for your tube tv back? Or 480p resolution? Come on man.
The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
sunsalem (04-26-2017), Z0HS1CK (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 11:16 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
Impossible to keep it stock? I don't understand this thought process. If you insist on modding something you have never even driven then I would go with the cheaper, less complex, and larger displacement C6Z.
Agreed.
If looking for just a track car, the C6Z is the way to go (for the reasons you mentioned).
Old 04-25-2017, 04:52 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,142 Posts

Originally Posted by JY85
I'm not insecure about what I have. I applaud the people who purchased the C7Z! However, it's not about the money. Both of my cars are paid off and I have a three car garage to house them.
That's good. Then what i said doesn't apply to you.

I agree the C7Z is the superior performer, however that doesn't mean I will give up both my cars for one. I drove one, and it is ok. I wouldn't say it leaps and bounds better looking than my 427 Convertible. I had the choice to add the 427 or C7Z to the stable and I chose the 427. It's more collectible, rare, and sounds better imo. The interior is the same in both cars to me...not Audi level.
Interior is the same in the C7Z and your 427??? That is flawed big time.

If you find the 427 to look better from the outside, then that's pure opinionated but to say the C6 interior is the "same" as the C7 is laughable. Obviously not audi level, why are we even bringing up german cars? First the other clown to mention the M4, now audi?? No one is comparing to german cars. We're comparing both corvettes. The C7 destroys the C6 interior in every aspect you can think of.

But, let's be real, most Corvette buyers not lovers, buy the latest and greatest to impress the Jones down the street.
Another flawed statement.

So basically your logic is, first time corvette owners HAVE to start from the older generations to be "pure corvette enthusiasts", and not get the newest one otherwise they just want to impress people??

I had a C6 before. It was incredible. Had the long tubes, i lowered it. Had nice wheels. It look menacing. I got the C7Z because i wanted a better corvette experience. A better car. Something faster. SOmething with a warranty. Something that looked better. The C7Z fit the criteria perfectly. Has nothing to do with something "new". It's already 2017 with the 2018 models coming out and my Z is a '16, doesn't mean i'm gonna trade it for a newer Z. Well actually let's see what the ZR1 looks like lol

Enjoy that C7Z, as you should, but I will park my 427 next to yours with as much pride knowing I could have purchased either one and chose the 427.

OP, pick the one that makes your heart skip a beat! Either Z will do that! My C5Z still does that after all these years.

Plus, two vettes are always better than one in my humble opinion. Buy the C5Z and C6Z for the price of one C7Z🤘
I am going to enjoy my Z, i already put on 4600 miles of all smiles and gotten soo much more attention in those little miles than my C6 did in the 15k miles or so i put.

Like i said before. GM really grand slammed the ball into another zip code with the C7Z. Can't wait for the ZR1.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Maximus68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Almalek
Dear members,

Im confused in buying c7 z06 or c6 z06. The problem is that I saw some racing videos on youtube, where the c6 z06 beats the c7 z06.

I like the new z06 from its look and ride, but what if someone beats me with an old z06 then I will be disappointed . I dont mind to modify it but at least if it gets modified it will have high performance.

My question is should i go with the new vette z06 or the old one?

If its the new one, can I modify it in a safe way ?

I need somone to convince me.

Kindly regrads,

Ali
There is ALWAYS gonna be someone with a faster car. Get the C7 Z06. You'll be glad that you did. There is no comparison and you'll be sorry you got a C6.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

The c6 is the next c4, think about it.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 AM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
The c6 is the next c4, think about it.

The C7 Z06 is using 71% more gas than the C6 Z06 at the track(C6 Z06 gets 6 mpg and the C7 Z06 gets 3.5 mpg). I am not sure if I can say that translates directly into 71% more heat the cooling system has to dissipate, but I think we all can agree it is substantially more heat that the cooling system has to dissipate. Now it should be painfully obvious why the C7 Z06 has such an overheating problem. On top of that the C7 Z06 has the intercooler radiator setting in front of the engine radiator. Not only does the intercooler radiator slightly restrict airflow to the engine radiator but it is heating up the air before the engine radiator gets it. After market Radiator manufactures have tried higher capacity radiators with little to no effect because of the issues I have mentioned above with the intercooler radiator and the large belly pan further restricting airflow. The only way a higher capacity radiator can work is if there is a sufficient flow of cool air. LG and GSpeed are putting additional openings in the front of the car with separate air inlets for each radiator/cooler. I think they will eventually be successful in solving the cooling problem, but unfortunately they will have created 3 new problems. The new air inlets will create substantially more drag and lift and the additional radiators/coolers with add weight in front of the front tires skewing the balance of the car. The Chevrolet engineers are no dummies and I am sure they have already looked at this approach and discarded it because of all the new problems that it creates. So what you will see from Chevrolet are more band aids like the rear mounded cooler, power steering scoop, and larger hood openings in the 2017 Z06. None of which totally solve the problem. The Chevy engineers got themselves into a vicious circle of adding Comfort features>Weight>Performance features>Weight>Supercharging>Weight>Gas mileage enhancements>Weight>Cooling solutions>Weight, so you guys are wasting your time and money.

The C7 will go down in history, much like the C4, a car to avoid!

Last edited by grcor; 04-26-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Come on, track mileage estimates into guesses of thermal efficiency? You guy are just making stuff up now. Here's a picture of my C4 to keep you happy. I don't know why anyone would upgrade to those fat new fangled C5s and C6s.

Is it a 94 or a 95? Oooh, it's been modded so it's hard to tell.

(BTW the auto C4 had heat issues at the track as well, the trans would boil and puke coolant/oil out! But it was way cooler than the C5.)
Attached Images  

Last edited by davepl; 04-26-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Maximus68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by grcor
The C7 Z06 is using 71% more gas than the C6 Z06 at the track(C6 Z06 gets 6 mpg and the C7 Z06 gets 3.5 mpg). I am not sure if I can say that translates directly into 71% more heat the cooling system has to dissipate, but I think we all can agree it is substantially more heat that the cooling system has to dissipate. Now it should be painfully obvious why the C7 Z06 has such an overheating problem. On top of that the C7 Z06 has the intercooler radiator setting in front of the engine radiator. Not only does the intercooler radiator slightly restrict airflow to the engine radiator but it is heating up the air before the engine radiator gets it. After market Radiator manufactures have tried higher capacity radiators with little to no effect because of the issues I have mentioned above with the intercooler radiator and the large belly pan further restricting airflow. The only way a higher capacity radiator can work is if there is a sufficient flow of cool air. LG and GSpeed are putting additional openings in the front of the car with separate air inlets for each radiator/cooler. I think they will eventually be successful in solving the cooling problem, but unfortunately they will have created 3 new problems. The new air inlets will create substantially more drag and lift and the additional radiators/coolers with add weight in front of the front tires skewing the balance of the car. The Chevrolet engineers are no dummies and I am sure they have already looked at this approach and discarded it because of all the new problems that it creates. So what you will see from Chevrolet are more band aids like the rear mounded cooler, power steering scoop, and larger hood openings in the 2017 Z06. None of which totally solve the problem. The Chevy engineers got themselves into a vicious circle of adding Comfort features>Weight>Performance features>Weight>Supercharging>Weight>Gas mileage enhancements>Weight>Cooling solutions>Weight, so you guys are wasting your time and money.

I guess 100,000 C7 Z06 owners are wrong
Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 AM
grcor
Racer

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Come on, track mileage estimates into guesses of thermal efficiency? You guy are just making stuff up now.
The track fuel mileage came from forum members.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-session.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-session.html

As far how great you think C4's are, you need to read what reviewers where saying about car when it was in production.
Just do a google search on “corvette c4 flex” and you will see page after page of complaints.
“When engineers began developing the fifth-generation Corvette, they studied the fourth generation to determine what needed improvement. They discovered that the car's steel structure would flex under spirited driving conditions. ” http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vemp-1104-corvette-frames/

Here are a couple of quotes from Car and Driver magazine “The Corvette's body, on the other hand, tends to crash, bang, and shiver over ridges and potholes. The car performs a kind of belly dance, and its instrument panel groans and creaks.http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...perfect-page-4

“the Corvette still shivers over bumps and creaks its way through life.” http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...erpoint-page-4
Old 04-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The C7 Z06 is using 71% more gas than the C6 Z06 at the track(C6 Z06 gets 6 mpg and the C7 Z06 gets 3.5 mpg).
Please provide the source of this data to include conditions and lap times.
If you can prove that a C7 Z06 and a C6 Z06 lap the same track at the same pace on the same day under the same conditions with this data, it's worthwhile. Otherwise, it's just you spewing unsubstantiated garbage, as usual.
You've tried to make these claims before and I've called you out on them because you have ZERO reliable data to support them and thus, no credibility. You rely on visual estimates of fuel gauges and off-handed comments from people who actually track their cars.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592791453

S.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Do you know WHY the C4 became the car to avoid?

Because the C5 was revolutionary not evolutionary and moved the Corvette brand into contention with the best cars available at the time. The C4 came to represent the old Corvette brand, lifestyle, connotations, gold chains, etc and the C5 and newer was a legitimate sports car instead of a poser.

The C7 is the best Corvette generation to date with regards to performance and tech. Yes, they are heavier, but EVERYthing is heavier, thanks Obama. Yes, it's harder to cool 650/650 but not every car overheats, it is not a problem with the car's existence, it is an issue of specific geographical use. Is it bad press? For sure!! And it sucks if it happens to you, I am sure.

But overall, all things considered, taking into account performance, design, technology, useability, etc, there is not a better Corvette today. The C6 was better than the C7 in June of 2013, but after that, not so much.

Of course if you base it on style or auction value or nostalgia or some other arbitrary factor then it just goes down to whatever one prefers and why they buy anything they buy at all, much like paintings and photos on the wall, everyone is unique and no one is wrong.

But saying that a high ambient 10/10ths track only cooling issue dooms the C7 is borderline retarded. It's an easy fix not unlike how easy the fix is when 400 HP isn't enough people spend way more money "fixing the issue" with aftermarket parts to get 500 (or whatever) HP and it never fails they always state, "This is how the car should have come from Chevy." Same thing with suspension changes or tires (who likes the run flats?) or whatever example you want to use.

The point is, any car you buy, when you want to use it at any type of limit, even a Jeep Wrangler off road isn't all that good without lifts and 35s and so on and even has a tendency to overheat when crawling, will find the limits of the weakest link and require an upgrade. Big deal, it's nothing new.

Condemning a generation of Corvette because it literally has ONE shortcoming from being absolutely perfect has to be the most short-sighted notion proposed. Open your eyes, put in eye drops if needed. The C7Z is compared with, and often bests, cars 3 or 4 times it's price range, that says A LOT. And even those cars aren't perfect. 911's need whole engines, C6Z's need head work (or engines), and so on and you want to complain about a minor, fixable, non catastrophic, low percentage on track heat management issue.

The following 3 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
ajrothm (04-26-2017), BOBSZ06 (04-26-2017), Z0HS1CK (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:41 AM
grcor
Racer

Originally Posted by Maximus68
I guess 100,000 C7 Z06 owners are wrong
Yes, you are correct. Bob Lutz confirmed that The original program was to develop a mid-engine Corvette C7 and a mid engine Cadillac XLR for 900 million. The program was moving forward, they had a full size fiberglass model of both cars, then bankruptcy hit and the program was canceled. Coming out of bankruptcy Tadge got 200 million, "do the best you can". Lets face it 200 million is really not enough to do it right, but what is the alternative? No Corvette at all! So the C7 is what it is, a compromised design to appeal to widest audience.

Just look at what C6Z owners are saying about their C7Z!
Why is the C7Z the most criticized Vette I've owned? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-ve-owned.html

The design philosophy on the C6 was correct, but wrong on the C7. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-the-c7.html

Anyone else miss their ZR1 ? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...their-zr1.html
Old 04-26-2017, 11:43 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Same exact threads were around 10 years ago when c6z came out. That is nothing new or special.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:09 PM
grcor
Racer

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Do you know WHY the C4 became the car to avoid?:
See post #129

The C7 is the best Corvette generation to date with regards to performance and tech. Yes, they are heavier, but EVERYthing is heavier, thanks Obama.
Then why is the current ATS, CTS, Camaro, and Malibu 200 to 300 pounds lighter that the previous generation. Yet the C7Z is 300 to 350 pound heavier than the C6Z?

But overall, all things considered, taking into account performance, design, technology, useability, etc, there is not a better Corvette today. The C6 was better than the C7 in June of 2013, but after that, not so much.
See post #133

Condemning a generation of Corvette because it literally has ONE shortcoming from being absolutely perfect has to be the most short-sighted notion proposed. Open your eyes, put in eye drops if needed.
ONE shortcoming? Overheating(coolant, engine oil, intercooler air temperature, power steering, automatic transmission oil), Over weight, warble noise, paint(over spray, orange peel, 50 shades of grey), oil consumption, PDR green tint, etc. Do I really need to go on?

Last edited by grcor; 04-26-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:37 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by atvBob
I saw some videos on youtube that showed Elvis was still alive, too. (Translation: C6 Z06 wasn't stock if it beat a C7 Z06 or the C7 driver was an idiot).

Stock Z06:

C6 LS7 505 HP/470 LB/FT @ 3,130#
C7 LT4 650 HP/650LB/FT @ 3,523#

You do the math.
C6Z - 393# lighter, 100% better looking, zero hideous brake lights etc etc.

C7 was probably in limp mode. Pissing itself all the way back to the paddocks
Old 04-26-2017, 12:50 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Same exact threads were around 10 years ago when c6z came out. That is nothing new or special.
That's why I posted my old C4, I guess it was too subtle ;-)

I don't know which is funnier, the amount of butthurt the C6 people have because they know how much better the C7Z really is, or the amount of butthurt some C7Z guys experience when not everyone believes it!

Just in case you need the official stack ranking, here it is. I would trade up each leg of this ladder (excepting financial values, certain special cars, etc).

C7
C2
C6
C3
C4
C5
C1

Last edited by davepl; 04-26-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM
ChrisM4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
That's good. Then what i said doesn't apply to you.

Interior is the same in the C7Z and your 427??? That is flawed big time.

If you find the 427 to look better from the outside, then that's pure opinionated but to say the C6 interior is the "same" as the C7 is laughable. Obviously not audi level, why are we even bringing up german cars? First the other clown to mention the M4, now audi?? No one is comparing to german cars. We're comparing both corvettes. The C7 destroys the C6 interior in every aspect you can think of.

Another flawed statement.

So basically your logic is, first time corvette owners HAVE to start from the older generations to be "pure corvette enthusiasts", and not get the newest one otherwise they just want to impress people??

I had a C6 before. It was incredible. Had the long tubes, i lowered it. Had nice wheels. It look menacing. I got the C7Z because i wanted a better corvette experience. A better car. Something faster. SOmething with a warranty. Something that looked better. The C7Z fit the criteria perfectly. Has nothing to do with something "new". It's already 2017 with the 2018 models coming out and my Z is a '16, doesn't mean i'm gonna trade it for a newer Z. Well actually let's see what the ZR1 looks like lol

I am going to enjoy my Z, i already put on 4600 miles of all smiles and gotten soo much more attention in those little miles than my C6 did in the 15k miles or so i put.

Like i said before. GM really grand slammed the ball into another zip code with the C7Z. Can't wait for the ZR1.
You're the biggest clown on this forum.. dont you have something better to do than post on forums every second of your life? Go clean the pleather in your c7 you joke

i wish you werent a little girl hiding behind the computer screen and actually put your money where your mouth is and lets run heads up... i didnt buy a corvette for interior so i dont know why you keep mentioning interior.... people buy corvettes to race...

Last edited by ChrisM4; 04-26-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Confused in buying C6 Z06 or C7 Z06

Old 04-26-2017, 01:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Do you know WHY the C4 became the car to avoid?

Because the C5 was revolutionary not evolutionary and moved the Corvette brand into contention with the best cars available at the time. The C4 came to represent the old Corvette brand, lifestyle, connotations, gold chains, etc and the C5 and newer was a legitimate sports car instead of a poser.

The C7 is the best Corvette generation to date with regards to performance and tech. Yes, they are heavier, but EVERYthing is heavier, thanks Obama. Yes, it's harder to cool 650/650 but not every car overheats, it is not a problem with the car's existence, it is an issue of specific geographical use. Is it bad press? For sure!! And it sucks if it happens to you, I am sure.

Of course if you base it on style or auction value or nostalgia or some other arbitrary factor then it just goes down to whatever one prefers and why they buy anything they buy at all, much like paintings and photos on the wall, everyone is unique and no one is wrong.

But saying that a high ambient 10/10ths track only cooling issue dooms the C7 is borderline retarded. It's an easy fix not unlike how easy the fix is when 400 HP isn't enough people spend way more money "fixing the issue" with aftermarket parts to get 500 (or whatever) HP and it never fails they always state, "This is how the car should have come from Chevy." Same thing with suspension changes or tires (who likes the run flats?) or whatever example you want to use.

The point is, any car you buy, when you want to use it at any type of limit, even a Jeep Wrangler off road isn't all that good without lifts and 35s and so on and even has a tendency to overheat when crawling, will find the limits of the weakest link and require an upgrade. Big deal, it's nothing new.

Condemning a generation of Corvette because it literally has ONE shortcoming from being absolutely perfect has to be the most short-sighted notion proposed. Open your eyes, put in eye drops if needed. The C7Z is compared with, and often bests, cars 3 or 4 times it's price range, that says A LOT. And even those cars aren't perfect. 911's need whole engines, C6Z's need head work (or engines), and so on and you want to complain about a minor, fixable, non catastrophic, low percentage on track heat management issue.

Great post!

Maybe some of the other C6 trolls here will read/recognize this as well...
The following users liked this post:
BOBSZ06 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Old 04-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Getyup
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I had to click to see why so much posts on this thread. The op was done by like post 20 max saying he was going to get a C7. After that the trolls took over. Your in the C7 forum of course you will get a bias leaning anyone towards a C7. Shoot a guy who posts mostly on off topic any time a newer car comes up he brings up his GTR. That it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Nothing can touch it on the street. I feel the same thing with my car as well though I know it isn't the case. I wonder if op asked on the C6 forum? I bet he'd get a different answer.😎

Quick Reply: Confused in buying C6 Z06 or C7 Z06