C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Frustration of side skirts and the lack of them....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:53 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Frustration of side skirts and the lack of them....

I've seen a number of posts where numerous members are looking to GM to offer up a retro fit kit on 2015-2016 Z06's to modify their supercharger arrangement to the 2017 design and thus help prevent, or minimize or eliminate, cooling system issues. Up to this point, the "don't hold your breath" response seems to be in order, regardless of what some people believe Tadge inferred months ago. My question is from the same church, but a different pew. Probably most owners know of the "stone blasting" the rear brake intakes (and beyond) take on a C7 Z06 unless, it appears, the car has side side skirts and probably splash guards...but without the side skirts, there is nothing one can do to prevent this phenomenon. Chevy/GM must have gotten the message regarding the magnitude of this problem, especially for those of us owners who didn't realize the need for side skirts and weren't told by the dealer to add them on the order. Now, for 2017, order a 2017 Z06, any flavor, and side skirts are standard....gee whiz, go figure! So has anyone without the skirts, who has experienced the terrible experience of the stone blasting, been able to get some kind of deal from his dealer in acquiring the skirts after they have taken possession of their car....not free, but perhaps the same price as they would have been if ordered with your new car? This whole issue is a huge PIA and had I been told that the car needed these skirts, I would have added them to the order! Thanks for any help in this area!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:05 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrol...position=right

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrol...&position=left

These parts are cheaper than the factory price.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

I have the splash guards only. I have zero impacts back there. To have one or the other I would choose splash guards as they protect width and length. Side skirts are for length (underside kick ups) only.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 04-17-2017 at 08:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
427bob (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 PM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
I have the splash guards only. I have zero impacts back there. To have one or the other I would choose splash guards as they protect width and length. Side skirts are for length (underside kick ups) only.
Same. OReilly.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
I don't know where you live and the road conditions in your area, but in my area, splash guards alone do not do the trick...the stone blasting is subdued to a point, but far from being eliminated. I've spoken to several Z06 owners in my area of PA, where we still have anti skid (crushed stone) on the roads, and they have been successful at virtually eliminating the "blasting" by having side skirts and larger splash guards. Wish I could go along with what you're seeing. Besides Oreilly splash guards, I've additionally Xpeled the brake duct areas and I'm still getting nicked by the stones...in only 200 miles! Unfortunately, it seems the side skirts are my last resort.....
Old 04-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

Skirts are a must on a Z06 or GS.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:33 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by tzoid9
I don't know where you live and the road conditions in your area, but in my area, splash guards alone do not do the trick...the stone blasting is subdued to a point, but far from being eliminated. I've spoken to several Z06 owners in my area of PA, where we still have anti skid (crushed stone) on the roads, and they have been successful at virtually eliminating the "blasting" by having side skirts and larger splash guards. Wish I could go along with what you're seeing. Besides Oreilly splash guards, I've additionally Xpeled the brake duct areas and I'm still getting nicked by the stones...in only 200 miles! Unfortunately, it seems the side skirts are my last resort.....
then they are installing them incorrectly. If they are low to the ground ie hang under the car and stick out far enough they cover everything the front tries can throw their way. I'll show you any Saturday you feel like driving to Lakewood, nj.

the roads here suck. Gravel and Sand everywhere. My Buddy refused to put them on. After the blasting started he folded. Now he also has no (additional) impact marks since the install. I cannot take the credit as I learned from others here.

there's a post where the pic is shot from the rear brake duct. It shows where the mud guards have to be. As for height. It's about a 2x4 flat and one finger width roughly. This way you cannot see the tread from the rear either. I posted a quick vid of how I did mine. They work 100% better than all others and the rocker extensions aka side skirts of any kind. $10.99 at advanced auto figured that out after I purchased mine from amazon for $16.99.

I also have xpel installed in key locations as well as above the mid quarter panel exactly where the blasting occurs. Now it's basically a waste.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...uACqri25mktPUP.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 04-17-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:40 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

16/C7Z, I understand what you are saying and I too, have the Oreilly splash guards...and they are terrific, the best deal on the 'net for any Z06 splash guards (see picture). My question to you is your stated measurements. You said laying a 2X4 flat (which I would guess means the 4" side is flat on the floor) so the 2" side is vertical...that would be around 1 7/8" on a standard 2X4....add a finger width, probably 3/4", so your distance from the road to the bottom of the Oreilly splash guard is approximately 2 5/8", give or take a wee bit. Mine are set at 3.5" above the ground area, so that's where the issue may be. As mentioned, I've got the rear quarter panels (including the brake ducts) and the lower rocker panel between the front and rear wheel wells, XPEL'd, and I am picking up some stone chips at 200 miles on the car after that work was done. My info on the Oreilly's was to be sure to have an absolute minimum of 3-3.5" off ground level because they could get tortured/damaged from speed bumps or other such things, even if you would crawl over them at an angle....and that is why I have mine set at 3.5". Maybe my info was wrong...what's your experience?
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

16/C7Z, I understand

My question to you is your stated measurements. You said laying a 2X4 flat (which I would guess means the 4" side is flat on the floor) so the 2" side is vertical...that would be around 1 7/8" on a standard 2X4....add a finger width, probably 3/4", so your distance from the road to the bottom of the Oreilly splash guard is approximately 2 5/8", give or take a wee bit. Mine are set at 3.5" above the ground area, so that's where the issue may be.
if you can find a long board thin, say a piece of base or door molding that can reach from the front tire underneath the tread then direct it up towards rear (have a buddy hold it up so you can see from sode first and get an idea of what im saying, easier to show than articulate) you'll see how low they have to hang to protect the quarters.

yes, at 3.5" you're an 1" to 1.25" high.

I came up with that height due to SEEING the tread with the guards against the car before install and again, realizing that if I can see tire tread fron the quarter under the car the debris can still be slung uo there. So lower and wider is key. Especially the lower part.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

16/C7Z, I understand what you are saying and I too, have the Oreilly splash guards...and they are terrific, the best deal on the 'net for any Z06 splash guards (see picture). My question to you is your stated measurements. You said laying a 2X4 flat (which I would guess means the 4" side is flat on the floor) so the 2" side is vertical...that would be around 1 7/8" on a standard 2X4....add a finger width, probably 3/4", so your distance from the road to the bottom of the Oreilly splash guard is approximately 2 5/8", give or take a wee bit. Mine are set at 3.5" above the ground area, so that's where the issue may be. As mentioned, I've got the rear quarter panels (including the brake ducts) and the lower rocker panel between the front and rear wheel wells, XPEL'd, and I am picking up some stone chips at 200 miles on the car after that work was done. My info on the Oreilly's was to be sure to have an absolute minimum of 3-3.5" off ground level because they could get tortured/damaged from speed bumps or other such things, even if you would crawl over them at an angle....and that is why I have mine set at 3.5". Maybe my info was wrong...what's your experience?
are those trimmed or is that the shape/size they come in?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:17 AM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pineapple Devil
are those trimmed or is that the shape/size they come in?
not trimmed, basically the size. You'd have to mount them lower them in the wheel well to get the 2.5" that he is talking about. Then you risk the possibility of ripping them off or damaging them if you went over an obstruction like a speed bump. That's why it looks like side skirts coupled with the guards are the only cure. That's what many other owners are saying.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:31 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

I've seen a number of posts where numerous members are looking to GM to offer up a retro fit kit on 2015-2016 Z06's to modify their supercharger arrangement to the 2017 design and thus help prevent, or minimize or eliminate, cooling system issues. Up to this point, the "don't hold your breath" response seems to be in order, regardless of what some people believe Tadge inferred months ago. My question is from the same church, but a different pew. Probably most owners know of the "stone blasting" the rear brake intakes (and beyond) take on a C7 Z06 unless, it appears, the car has side side skirts and probably splash guards...but without the side skirts, there is nothing one can do to prevent this phenomenon. Chevy/GM must have gotten the message regarding the magnitude of this problem, especially for those of us owners who didn't realize the need for side skirts and weren't told by the dealer to add them on the order. Now, for 2017, order a 2017 Z06, any flavor, and side skirts are standard....gee whiz, go figure! So has anyone without the skirts, who has experienced the terrible experience of the stone blasting, been able to get some kind of deal from his dealer in acquiring the skirts after they have taken possession of their car....not free, but perhaps the same price as they would have been if ordered with your new car? This whole issue is a huge PIA and had I been told that the car needed these skirts, I would have added them to the order! Thanks for any help in this area!
The side skirts are NOT standard on ALL 2017 Z06's.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by 427bob
The side skirts are NOT standard on ALL 2017 Z06's.
Oh really, I thought I read that in 2017, the 3/4 side skirts would be standard on Z06's. Could you tell us which models don't have them? Might it be the base model with the standard 1LZ option package?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:40 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Standard on ALL 2017 Z06 and GS models. See http://www.corvettemuseum.org/wp-con...eringGuide.pdf and you will find it near the top of the first page. They are referred to as molded rocker extensions.

I had ACS skirts installed on my 2016 Z06 before it left the museum.

Last edited by NSC5; 04-26-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:44 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by NSC5
Standard on ALL 2017 Z06 and GS models. See http://www.corvettemuseum.org/wp-con...eringGuide.pdf and you will find it near the top of the first page. They are referred to as molded rocker extensions.

I had ACS skirts installed on my 2016 Z06 before it left the museum.
That's what I remembered. Corvette/GM got the message that a lot of owners were b*tching pretty loudly that the design of the Z06 body was throwing stones up from the front tires and wiping out the rear brake ducts....gee, no foolin'?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

That's what I remembered. Corvette/GM got the message that a lot of owners were b*tching pretty loudly that the design of the Z06 body was throwing stones up from the front tires and wiping out the rear brake ducts....gee, no foolin'?
This isn't an issue just with the C7s. The stock side skirts do little to stop the debris from hitting the rear quarter. I know this has been an issue on Corvettes since the C3s were introduced. I don't think the C1s and C2s had as much of an issue. C4s were better than the C3, C5, C6 or C7 as the lower rocker panel took the abuse but protected the quarter and doors. I used to show my 86 and would have to repaint the rockers every year. My 71 took so much abuse I had to rebuild the rear of the door opening as the road crap literally wore away the fiberglass after 80K miles. C5s were terrible with wheel well paint damage, complete lower side damage and rear quarter damage. C6s were better since the front wheel wheels had protective plastic guards but the sides and rear quarters were just as bad as the C7s especially on the wide body cars.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 04-26-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:38 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Oh really, I thought I read that in 2017, the 3/4 side skirts would be standard on Z06's. Could you tell us which models don't have them? Might it be the base model with the standard 1LZ option package?
You are correct! I have the base model 1LZ that I bought last week. It did not come with the side skirts. I actually called the GM customer line (that was a waste of time), and after 2 dum-de-dum's BS'd me around for 15 minutes (most on hold) they connected me to my dealer. Then I sent a text to a friend at Bowling Green and he confirmed to me that the base car DOES NOT get the side skirts.
I would like to know where these other "know-it-alls" get their Fake News!!! haha!!!

Last edited by 427bob; 04-26-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Frustration of side skirts and the lack of them....

Old 04-26-2017, 10:17 PM
VettScience
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427bob
You are correct! I have the base model 1LZ that I bought last week. It did not come with the side skirts. I actually called the GM customer line (that was a waste of time), and after 2 dum-de-dum's BS'd me around for 15 minutes (most on hold) they connected me to my dealer. Then I sent a text to a friend at Bowling Green and he confirmed to me that the base car DOES NOT get the side skirts.
I would like to know where these other "know-it-alls" get their Fake News!!! haha!!!
Whoever you talked to is wrong. All 2017 Z06's and GS's get 3/4 length side skirts. I bought my '17 without any aero options, and it has 3/4 length side skirts.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:11 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

See: http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NAS...ehicleID=20103 and also go to the Chevrolet site to build a 2017 while it is still up. The build photos will show you the shorter rocker extension (i.e. skirt) that comes stock on all 2017 Z06 (and GS) and if you add one of the ground effects packages you will see the longer rocker extension/skirt that comes as part of that package. I think the confusion you are getting from the dealer and Bowling Green is the difference between the smaller skirt which is standard for all trims and the longer skirt which comes with the ground effects options. You can also look at the compare trim levels on the Chevrolet order site and you won't see the rocker extension/skirt listed on those screens because it has NOTHING to do with trim level.

And on edit, take a look at this 1LZ at MacMulkin with no optional ground effects which has the stock skirts that should have been included with yours. Call one of the big dealers to get the correct info: http://www.macmulkin.net/VehicleDeta...-NH/2889069193

Last edited by NSC5; 04-27-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:07 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

not trimmed, basically the size. You'd have to mount them lower them in the wheel well to get the 2.5" that he is talking about. Then you risk the possibility of ripping them off or damaging them if you went over an obstruction like a speed bump. That's why it looks like side skirts coupled with the guards are the only cure. That's what many other owners are saying.
They're not low enough to get ripped off. I've been over speed bumps. Worst is a slight scrape of the bottom of the 10 dollar mud flap lol.

Worst noise I hear is coming uphill onto street over a raised curb leaving my buddy's shop. It's a little crrrrrrrrrrr' sound. They look none the worse me if they ever do it'll be a quick run the store, trace and install again.. done

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 04-27-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Frustration of side skirts and the lack of them....