C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

OK, SRT Viper vs Z06-let's hear some stories

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BEZ06
At an HPDE at Daytona earlier this month there were just a few cars that could pass the C7 Z06 - several Vipers there that were very fast, a couple of full race-prepped Ferraris, and forum member William Hubbell's DP car.

Forum member Snorman used to run a C7 Z06 A8, but got rid of it and got a fantastic Viper ACR-E. I talked with Sean briefly at Daytona, but the car lost the clutch early in the event and he headed home early.

I looked on his youtube page (Snorman9), but he doesn't have any Viper Daytona video up. He does have some at other tracks, his C7 at Daytona and elsewhere, and a neat video of him in a Chump car at the Chump race at Daytona the first weekend of this month.

Sean was very fast in his C7 Z06 - he was turning sub 2-minute laps!! I'm sure his Viper was even faster than the C7 Z06!!

The fastest lap in my C7 Z06 in pretty clear traffic so far has been 2:00.18 - I'll be pushing for sub 2-minute next Daytona event in Oct!!

Bottom line - the Viper ACR-E is a VERY fast car!! It looks absolutely WICKED!!! But it doesn't look quite as comfortable as my C7, or a car that I would think would be as nice as the C7 for a long x-country road trip (but, I haven't ridden in one).

Both cars are great cars - just quite a bit different in design.

Hey Bob, good to see you at Daytona.
Yes, unfortunately after a late start Thursday (the first day), my ACR suffered a pretty severe clutch failure coming into the bus stop when I clutched in and the pressure plate released the clutch. It appears that one of the (dual) discs failed and basically disintegrated. A good friend is the tech who is servicing the car discussed with an FCA engineer after he placed he claim and they agree. It's uncommon with the Gen V Vipers but oh well. FWIW...I ran exactly 3 laps...1 to warm the tires, the next to set start/finish on the vBox and one stuck behind a Ferrari Challenge Car. That lap was a 2:00.2 basically lifting off the throttle all through the infield and bus stop since the Ferrari wouldn't give a point by. Halfway around the 4th lap the clutch expired.
I've also had issues with both exhaust tips shifting and burning/melting the surrounds and paint on the sills. And it's gone not only through front tires very quickly but both front and rear pads (don't believe the hype that CCB pads last sooo long on-track...they don't).

Agree with others. The paint on the car is absolutely beautiful. Perhaps some of the best on any production car. Panel fit is okay. Interior quality is about the same as my C7Z. I do love the seats and the thin, racing-type shells. It's awesome how easy it is to install harnesses. It's pretty much got all the same creature comforts as the C7Z except for heated/cooled and power seats.

A fantastic and fun car on-track. Fluid temps remain under control and the car is a joy to drive. It stays consistent throughout an entire session except for the battle to keep the tire pressures and temps in check. But it doesn't have the bandwidth of the C7Z. It's less-friendly on the street, the interior is smaller (anybody who disagrees with this must be kidding), very limited storage and a tight footwell. The pedal spacing is perfect for heel-toe downshifts. The Viper is louder (inside and out) and the ride is clearly firm. I'll qualify the ride-comment, as my car is an ACR-E with fully adjustable coilovers. I run full-soft on the street, and it's still much stiffer than my C7Z was in any mode. The HK stereo sounds great, maybe better than the Bose in the C7Z. The ACR is just a really neat car. But in the end the C7Z is a more friendly, inviting choice that works well on-track (if temps are controlled) and is exceptionally comfortable on the street for a car with that kind of performance.

The ACR-E has turned out to be a great choice for me and I'm VERY happy with the car.
S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snorman:
MISTERZ06 (04-20-2017), sunsalem (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:18 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
why don't you stop with your childish bullchyt already and grow the f up....I didn't mention profit or anything like that so who's is twisting whos words around. I stated the number of Vipers made are few and this has been since the beginning....reason being, it was never meant to appeal to a large piece of the market and I'm sure Dodge had an idea of this going in....you among a few here have made it clear you cant discuss other cars (Viper in particular) without turning it into some childish nonsense...OP inquired about Vipers and experience, not sales nor profits or other BS...some here have the ability to talk other cars with maturity and enthusiasm...try it sometime
Kellyanne...is that you?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Hi Sean - yes, good to see you at the track, and hope to see you at Daytona again, maybe the PDG event early Oct.

Originally Posted by Snorman
...That lap was a 2:00.2 basically lifting off the throttle all through the infield and bus stop since the Ferrari wouldn't give a point by....
Yikes!!! if you were held up that much I'm sure you would have been waaayyy under a 2 minute lap in the clear!!

I've also had issues with both exhaust tips shifting and burning/melting the surrounds and paint on the sills.
Dayum!!! I remember your C7 Z06 melted the "Corvette" and crossed-flags on the rear fascia. I've only melted my plastic license tag frame!

(don't believe the hype that CCB pads last sooo long on-track...they don't)
I put a new set of pads on my C7 Z06/Z07 CCB setup before the event. I didn't run the first session Thurs (first day) because it was still raining. And in the 3rd session Fri I blew the Bus Stop at the end of the session because the brakes just weren't doing what they had been doing all during the event. I pulled into the garage and took a look and the pads were looking awful thin, so I didn't run the last session.

So....Six 30-minute sessions and I ran through a set of brand new pads!! I was running Sport 1 most of the time and I'm not sure that maybe active handling wasn't squeezing on a little brake much more often than I thought it would. I'm only gonna run in Sport 2 or Race in the future.

The pedal spacing is perfect for heel-toe downshifts
I'm a great heel-toe downshifter, but I don't have to do it anymore. I really LUV the M7 Active Rev Matching!!!

I'll qualify the ride-comment, as my car is an ACR-E with fully adjustable coilovers...
I also really LUV the way the PTM driving modes change the mag shocks for different driving conditions. I also got the DSC Sport mag shock controller, and it is FANTASTIC!! It gives an even better street/highway ride, and much better in the Track modes.

Hope you get the clutch problem solved, but it sounds like it will be a warranty repair.

Looking forward to seeing you at track in the future.

Bob
The following users liked this post:
Snorman (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanAutoSports
Looking at the debut of the Demon the other day, showed things haven't changed much. The rollout was nothing short of embarrassing. I had to shake my head and just say, no wonder FCA is seeking a partner...it NEEDS one.
The marketing of the Demon was excellent. The 12 or so weeks of teasers along with all of the animations were very well done. I watched the live reveal and I wasn't as disappointed as you were. I'm no fan of Wiz Kahlifa, but I really didn't care that he was there.

Compare the marketing of the Demon to the marketing of the C7 Z06, C7 ZR1, Camaro ZL1, etc.. GM's marketing sucks.

http://www.dodge.com/en/ifyouknowyouknow/

The Viper has always been a great sports car and it has always been more exclusive than the Corvette.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:35 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Whoever said you can't daily drive a viper is flat out incorrect. I've daily driven my Viper for over two years now including many 6-7hr trips. I drive it in the rain, in the morning and afternoon commute and regularly in Florida 100+ degree days in bumper to bumper traffic. The car and I stay cool, the ac works great, the clutch is as light as my last Z06, the pedal position is perfect and not crazy off center like earlier generation vipers,the seats a comfortable and the fit, finish, quality and craftmanship are second to none and easily overshadow the vettes plastic production interior. The viper carbon fiber sabelt leather seats are the best seats I e sat in - with loads of side bolstering and high quality leather. The double French hand stitching on the dash, seats, headliner etc is superb. The paint.. wow.. the paint is spectacular! Rivals many show cars... absolutely ZERO orange peel. Access to the engineering and design team is fantastic. The suspension on the non ACR/TA is very plyable and equal to a c6 z06 in ride quality (easy to drive on the typical well manicured Florida road).excellent electronics suite and no overheating issues.

The down sides for me are few... it can be a bit loud if you're trying to have a Bluetooth conversation above 80mph, if something does go wrong parts take some time to arrive...(days), it's tough finding a decent local Viper tech as there Are so few vipers made many don't have solid exposure to one - so it's a learning curve, the owner knowleadge base is nowhere near as deep As the vette as evidence by the large discrepancy in forums, I'm not a fan of the double action hatch opening or exposed hood release latch, and lastly very limited tire selection.

If you've always wanted one.. go get one.. you can daily drive it, it won't melt in the rain or cook you in the summer and is a wonderfully sexy dream car to own.

Last edited by Z06_BluByU; 04-18-2017 at 10:36 PM.
MISTERZ06 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:04 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by docb
I've have had both cars and I love the Vette, but the Viper's fit/finish and refinement are superior IMO. Not nuff said.
his words not mine. Sorry if "nuff said" offended you somehow. But I stand by what a CURRENT GEN 5 owner said to me after our ride in my C7Z. The look on his face during and after? Priceless. Remember he came fron a C6Z. Believe me he was in awe of the C7Z. Was that more to do with his former C6Z or his current Viper? Idk.. I believed at the time it was his disappointment in not buying the C7Z instead.

I was surprised by the reaction. I believe I used the word "really" numerous times.

that's one man's opinion, but given the responses fron such respected corvette forum members who have owned both or still do subsequent to my post, I believe it's the consensus that:

The Viper is the racer bar none.

The C7Z is the part time racer and full time cruiser,
A jack of all trades and a master at nothing.

Wherein an automobile is a benefit not a curse.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 04-18-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 PM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
his words not mine. Sorry if "nuff said" offended you somehow. But I stand by what a CURRENT GEN 5 owner said to me after our ride in my C7Z. The look on his face during and after? Priceless. Remember he came fron a C6Z. Believe me he was in awe of the C7Z. Was that more to do with his former C6Z or his current Viper? Idk.. I believed at the time it was his disappointment in not buying the C7Z instead.

I was surprised by the reaction. I believe I used the word "really" numerous times.

that's one man's opinion, but given the responses fron such respected corvette forum members who have owned both or still do subsequent to my post, I believe it's the consensus that:

The Viper is the racer bar none.

The C7Z is the part time racer and full time cruiser,
A jack of all trades and a master at nothing

Wherein an automobile is a benefit not a curse.
As you mention, different thoughts. Pet peeve that people follow up their opinion with "nuff said".
FWIW, I found the Viper a fine daily driver. Biggest issue was stepping over the doorsill to get in and out.
Got the Z06 largely for the convertible. Both great cars.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Just to clarify, I owned a C7Z equipped with the 3LZ package. So sueded headliner, A-pillars, upgraded leather, etc..
The interior in the 3LZ and my '17 Viper ACR (with the ACR Interior package) is very comparable. Functionally, IMO the Corvette is far superior with more storage nooks, a MUCH lower and narrow console and much more interior room. Unless you buy a vent-mount holder, there isn't even anywhere to put a cell phone in the Viper, lol.
I've been in Laguna-equipped Gen V's, and I don't think they're much, if any, better. Again IMO.
S.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page news!

Here's another classic 'vette/viper match-up...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ette-vs-viper/
MISTERZ06 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:31 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Thanx for the video.
Unfortunately, there isn't any mention of mods.

Quick Reply: OK, SRT Viper vs Z06-let's hear some stories