C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

WING at the RING '18 ZR1!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Again, it's too cool and simple!

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Earlier test/mule pics showed both a high wing and a low wing.

Probably will be able to get either.
Both (It easily could be strong enough, look at spacing!)!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by CFHay
There will be a wing delete option, it's called the Z06. It will be a good 20k cheaper too! Imagine how much wax and gaudy add ons that could buy!
Hey, we can't all be track superstars like you. As if you are a good enough driver to extract the extra performance that wing adds. I'd almost bet my house you are the type of guy that would show up with an ACR or riced out vette only to get lapped by a modified miata. That is, if you have ever visited a race track.

...and yes, I wax my car, but I also prefer a streamlined car with a clean look. Not everyone wants that wing so they can shave off .05 seconds on their lap time.

The ZR1 interests me because I much prefer the new front bumper and hood styling (probably the side fender styling too). I am also not a huge fan of the LT4 so the prospects of a different engine really intrigues me as well. So, a delete option on that wing, or the ability to remove it for street use, for me, would be nice. I think many others would also appreciate that option.

The options should not be, ZR1 with functional but ugly wing or buy a ZO6. If it is, I'll stick with what I have. Yes, I have seen the smaller wing, but that is strange looking too...
Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Sure! ;)

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Hey, we can't all be track superstars like you. As if you are a good enough driver to extract the extra performance that wing adds. I'd almost bet my house you are the type of guy that would show up with an ACR or riced out vette only to get lapped by a modified miata. That is, if you have ever visited a race track.

...and yes, I wax my car, but I also prefer a streamlined car with a clean look. Not everyone wants that wing so they can shave off .05 seconds on their lap time.

The ZR1 interests me because I much prefer the new front bumper and hood styling (probably the side fender styling too). I am also not a huge fan of the LT4 so the prospects of a different engine really intrigues me as well. So, a delete option on that wing, or the ability to remove it for street use, for me, would be nice. I think many others would also appreciate that option.

The options should not be, ZR1 with functional but ugly wing or buy a ZO6. If it is, I'll stick with what I have. Yes, I have seen the smaller wing, but that is strange looking too...
Plastic hole plugs for youse that have Never been quite about this issue! The minimal wing surely has a minimal effect, but, at 200 MPH you better have it!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-19-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Plastic hole plugs for youse that have Never been quite about this issue!
Honestly, I don't even think it would be possible as this car seems like it will be far more of a dedicated track car than the previous ZR1. Far more like the ACR. The ACR tells you in the owners manual to not remove the rear wing (even for street use) because the car would become very imbalanced, even at lower speeds. I am sure that will be the case here.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 04-19-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Bitching about a wing on a track focused car is like buying a truck then complaining about the bed not being enclosed. The front bumper and splitter is designed with the wing in mind, one without the other is going to make throw to throw off the car.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Bitching about a wing on a track focused car is like buying a truck then complaining about the bed not being enclosed. The front bumper and splitter is designed with the wing in mind, one without the other is going to make throw to throw off the car.
I simply stated it would be nice to have an option that made it removable, but I acknowledged that would probably not be possible as this 7th gen ZR1 is far more track dedicated than its C6 ZR1 predecessor...

Hey, I am standing by in Central Florida if you want to race me on a track. My car's all shined up and loaded with gaudy add-on's. I am sure a track guy like you would mop the floor with me.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 04-20-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Low wing version

The following users liked this post:
johnglenntwo (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I simply stated it would be nice to have an option that made it removable, but I acknowledged that would probably not be possible as this 7th gen ZR1 is far more track dedicated than its C6 ZR1 predecessor...

Hey, I am standing by in Central Florida if you want to race me on a track. My car's all shined up and loaded with gaudy add on. I am sure a track guy like you would mop the floor with me.
It's the 'ring or nothing
Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default The previous ZR1 had no special track alignment.

Honestly, I don't even think it would be possible as this car seems like it will be far more of a dedicated track car than the previous ZR1. Far more like the ACR. The ACR tells you in the owners manual to not remove the rear wing (even for street use) because the car would become very imbalanced, even at lower speeds. I am sure that will be the case here.
This thing will probably end up with completely adjustable spool valve shocks and all. An auto still could have it really streetable if the big wing was removed. But yes keeping it under 100 MPH would be mandatory!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-20-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey, I am standing by in Central Florida if you want to race me on a track. My car's all shined up and loaded with gaudy add on. I am sure a track guy like you would mop the floor with me.
I'm with you you the wing. What's funny is its track purpose but everyone knows even the track enthusiast is going to drive primarily on the street. Its a track purpose production car not a race car! I'm sure they'll offer an alternative wing or aero option. If they don't there going to sell maybe a couple thousand instead of the 3-4 thousand plus they want to sell, and they'll end up having a bunch sitting on lots.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

And to think that back in 1963, people complained about not being able to see out the rear window because of a single narrow vertical bar splitting the rear window.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Wrongo!!!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
And to think that back in 1963, people complained about not being able to see out the rear window because of a single narrow vertical bar splitting the rear window.
These wings only cover a narrow band, which is kind of cool driving, and there is no need for clear plastic!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-20-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Profound!? ;)

Originally Posted by Garret
This setup looks to be riding higher, and GM's going to tell you how much!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-20-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:41 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

With the controversy regarding the wing, high or low, I'm wondering if I can order my car with both, so I can drive around with a 2 tiered setup.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default No Controversy! ;)

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
With the controversy regarding the wing, high or low, I'm wondering if I can order my car with both, so I can drive around with a 2 tiered setup.
This is the stuff GM is out to beat up on the competition with! IE MB GTR, and ACR (both have no answer now!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-20-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:52 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

"Morphable!?"

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-20-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I personally hope they offer a "wing delete" version for no better reason than it will give the waxers and Cars + Coffee guys a reason to buy the car, which boosts sales and supports the brand. Same with A8. It is a good marketing plan, and without offering options the brand dies, just like the Viper. At a minimum the Z06 with no wing will remain available, so if you don't like the wing and there is no delete option then a Z06 it is for you.

But there is nothing "rice" about a purpose built track car with a functional wing providing usable, measurable downforce when complemented with the correct other aero. Only a very ignorant person would claim it isn't advantageous to have it on the track.

I will take one with the largest, most obscene wing possible and drive the living **** out of it at Watkins Glen. I really don't care if a waxer doesn't like it, but I sure hope he can buy one without a wing. I think the chances are low though, as GM cannot cater to every person with every car (although if you read these forums you would assume they should). And people will always find a reason to complain about almost anything.

Get notified of new replies

To WING at the RING '18 ZR1!!!!

Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

The ring time won't be all that fantabulous if it's not faster than the Lambo Huracan Performante.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:53 PM
cplabaunza
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
This is the stuff GM is out to beat up on the competition with! IE MB GTR, and ACR (both have no answer now!)
I wouldn't say the ACR is out of the Ring Time Competition yet = https://www.gofundme.com/take-back-the-ring-record

Last edited by cplabaunza; 04-20-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

It's the 'ring or nothing
Call me when you get there.

Quick Reply: WING at the RING '18 ZR1!!!!