C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Interior trim hatch peeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Darkvet
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Interior trim hatch peeling

So I go to get my windows tinted today and before they start we see a small area in the hatch that looks like the paint peeled. 350 miles on the car never put anything back there . What paint can I buy to touch it up? It's like an ebony color so I don't want to use just black.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 PM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Your sure that's not protective wrap they forgot during pdi?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Darkvet
Racer

Originally Posted by 01Defense
Your sure that's not protective wrap they forgot during pdi?
Positive it is not.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

If the dealership won't help under warranty, I would try one of those mobile leather/vinyl repair companies. I know they have the over-the-counter stuff, but I would want this done right. We had a leather chair repaired as one the corners got damaged during a move and the company matched up the grain and color perfectly. It cost $75 but the result is a lot better than if I tried doing it with a $25 over-the-counter kit.

However, try the dealer first. They may be able to fix or replace under warranty.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Darkvet
Racer

Well it would have to be the entire panel replaced because it's all one piece. I'm just worried about them causing more damage and is it worth it or just touch it up. I have a great relationship with the deale so they'll do what I ask but is it worth the risk.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:15 PM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkvet
Well it would have to be the entire panel replaced because it's all one piece. I'm just worried about them causing more damage and is it worth it or just touch it up. I have a great relationship with the deale so they'll do what I ask but is it worth the risk.
how about having the underside wrapped, could do it in CF or Carbon Fiber
The following users liked this post:
Darkvet (04-19-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Yes, it is worth the risk. It is an obvious workmanship problem and that part is made to be replaced so it shouldn't be an issue for a shop with the proper tools and training.

Bill
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

black majic marker.nobody will see it anyway.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 PM
Darkvet
Racer

Originally Posted by lordofwar
black majic marker.nobody will see it anyway.
I'm thinking the same but I'll have them touch it up so they make record of it on an RO in case this **** gets worse.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I had a couple of places along the bottom corners of my rear glass where they just missed painting. Could really only notice it in rear view mirror. I just bought some semi-gloss black model paint at the hobby store, and touched it up.
I thought first the paint was peeling too, but it was just a poor job of painting and has not changed.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 04-20-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Isn't it ironic that we own $90,000+ cars and most of us are concerned about taking our cars back to the dealership because we're afraid they'll screw things up even more. I can only hope that someone at GM in Detroit occasionally visits this site to hear what their customers are thinking. "Perception is reality. If you are perceived to be something, you might as well be it because that's the truth in people's minds."
~ Steve Young
Old 04-21-2017, 08:29 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Most of us have concerns going back to the dealer because most of us have dealers that don't excel at doing repairs on our cars. Sure there are exceptions but unless you have a dealer that sells lots of Corvettes they just don't have good experience with these cars. All dealers are not created equal.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

OP, my car came w/touch-up paint from the factory in a spot similar to yours... I was able to fix what looked worse than their poor attempt to conceal. Why they decided to put a glob of paint as opposed to replacing is beyond me...

Nonetheless, you'd be better off getting yourself some matte black touch-up paint and fixing it yourself.

Last edited by sTz; 04-21-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:48 AM
Darkvet
Racer

Originally Posted by sTz
OP, my car came w/touch-up paint from the factory in a spot similar to yours... I was able to fix what looked worse than their poor attempt to conceal. Why they decided to put a glob of paint as opposed to replacing is beyond me...

Nonetheless, you'd be better off getting yourself some matte black touch-up paint and fixing it yourself.
This is exactly what I did and you can barely see it. Of course I'll be the only one that knows it's there but it's just a bitch that when you spend this much money **** should be perfect.

Plus I'm a factory rep for another brand and I know all my dealer techs very well. Let's just say I know who I would want working on my car and where not to go. I just don't have that insight with Chevy.

Last edited by Darkvet; 04-22-2017 at 12:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior trim hatch peeling

Quick Reply: Interior trim hatch peeling