Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Check your 2017 Z06 paint over really well

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your 2017 Z06 paint over really well

Old 02-09-2019, 11:04 AM
tzoid9
CF Senior Member

All this commentary on paint defects with a C7. Several years ago, I remember a lot of Forum discussion about the multi million dollar paint booth that was scheduled to be installed at Bowling Green for the newer model Corvettes, starting sometime in 2017. Supposedly, this new paint operation would be "state of the art" automotive painting and all those comments about crappy paint work that pop up from time to time would disappear.
Does anyone know if this hot shot paint booth was ever built and being used or was this story just some one's fantasy and "fake news"?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:07 AM
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tzoid9 View Post
All this commentary on paint defects with a C7. Several years ago, I remember a lot of Forum discussion about the multi million dollar paint booth that was scheduled to be installed at Bowling Green for the newer model Corvettes, starting sometime in 2017. Supposedly, this new paint operation would be "state of the art" automotive painting and all those comments about crappy paint work that pop up from time to time would disappear.
Does anyone know if this hot shot paint booth was ever built and being used or was this story just some one's fantasy and "fake news"?
They built it and from what I've seen there's been a big improvement in consistency as far as paint. My 15 z has a great paint job but I've seen others that don't. The newer paint jobs are probably better than mine and from what I've seen consistently better as in I have seen any bad paint from the new shop.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:54 PM
tzoid9
CF Senior Member

Not sure what you are saying here, Badhabit....."and from what I've seen consistently better as in I have seen any bad paint from the new shop." Are you saying the paint work is consistently better with the new shop or that you have still seen bad paintwork out of the new shop or maybe something different??
Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 PM
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member

Sorry if I was being confusing. I haven't seen any bad paint out of the new shop. I seen lots of bad paint out of the old shop.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:07 PM
tzoid9
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb View Post
Sorry if I was being confusing. I haven't seen any bad paint out of the new shop. I seen lots of bad paint out of the old shop.

That's great news....thanks!
Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 AM
tlegend
CF Senior Member

i saw 2019 in the showroom and paint quality sucks ***...

Last edited by tlegend; 02-10-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:40 AM
robertbruce
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,161 Times in 801 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb View Post
My paint chipped around the front fender vents in my 16 Z06. I touched it up and lived with it. My 18 Z06 was painted in the new paint shop. I thought the chipping problem on the front fender vents on the Z06 was fixed. WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Six months after I took delivery the paints chips around the fender vent was back. This time I had the chips airbrushed by a local body shop which did a perfect job and in my opinion this is the best way to fix the problem. Keep watching your seams on your cars painted in the new paint shop. This problem did not go away.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:00 AM
ukester
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

You guys probably used acid car wash-dont you know you never ever wash a corvette...As far as writing the ceo you will get someone from the exec customer relations department and then it goes right back to the hack that didnt take care of your problem the first time out. It is very unfortunate that great customers get s---t on-GM went bankrupt once and looks like they will do it again. Getting a lawyer involved takes intestitude fortitude because GM has lots of time and great lawyers to wait your case out..Best of luck to you.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 AM
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about the bad paint. My 15 has great paint and I'm careful washing it. I did coat the whole car with xpel ultimate so that probably makes a difference. I'm at VIR at least once a month and I knew the front end would need painting every year if I didn't use the xpel.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:18 PM
16/C7Z
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,158 Times in 897 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbruce View Post
My paint chipped around the front fender vents in my 16 Z06. I touched it up and lived with it. My 18 Z06 was painted in the new paint shop. I thought the chipping problem on the front fender vents on the Z06 was fixed. WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Six months after I took delivery the paints chips around the fender vent was back. This time I had the chips airbrushed by a local body shop which did a perfect job and in my opinion this is the best way to fix the problem. Keep watching your seams on your cars painted in the new paint shop. This problem did not go away.
I agree Robert. And the new fender vents on the Z06 (on mid 19s forward) are the 4th iteration which are smaller in dimension so they do not come anywhere near the fenders AND have little protruding nubs on the back side in 4 or 5 places to keep the vent OFF the fenders.

The body shoo that airbrushed my vents did a fantastic job you cannot tell the difference. Amazing.

As for the other areas? They can probably air brush the same way. More labor intensive but worth it.

My dealer paid them to do the fenders but asked them airbrush only. This way they make out the same way as opposed to the lesser amount to just touch them up.
The Following User Says Thank You to 16/C7Z For This Useful Post:
robertbruce (02-10-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check your 2017 Z06 paint over really well

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: