C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Check your 2017 Z06 paint over really well

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:13 PM
Moramoto
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Check your 2017 Z06 paint over really well

I recently purchased a 2017 Chevy Corvette z06. After around 400 miles and one wash, I discovered multiple paint defects on my new vehicle.

I am currently in the process of escalating this with chevorlet. I am heart broken that my front and rear bumper, as well as both of my front fenders, have paint bubbling, chipping, and flaws. Initially chevy wanted to paint the 4 panels, and I communicated that I could of bought a used Corvette with less paint issues. My wife's 2014 C7 has great paint (for Chevy standards). What a bummer, I feel like I've lost the appreciation for my new car, and I'm nervous the value will be dimisnished.

Chevy has a computer paint the body at the manufacturing plant when the car is built, my worries are if I had to get panels fixed, a person would have to paint the panels. Even the paint department at Chevy said no matter what, a good eye can tell a painted panel. I'm trying to get this one traded in, so I can get into another one without these tragic flaws.

Just a heads up to inspect your car thoroughly before driving off. I hope this updated 450 million dollar paint booth helps for my future Corvettes.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

I don't have anything as dramatic as that, but after poring over the car at the dealership and not seeing anything I found a problem on my hood Friday. First wash and when I was done the sun came out. I notice an area on the hood where the clear coat needs to be buffed. It's not readily apparent but under a bright light it shows and should have been caught at the factory.

Hope they get your sorted, one way or another.

Mike
Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Oh boy. What was the build date for yours?

I was told that 17's didn't have the fender paint push of the 16s?

man that sucks.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,589 Posts

It seems that this issue is hit or miss. Hopefully you get it resolved. GL.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 PM
IM3CPO
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I really hate seeing this, and totally understand your frustration; especially on a new car. I usually end up purchasing around 4 new cars a year (its a vicious cycle) and have had performance cars from Mercedes (AMG C63 5076 Edition), Ford (GT350, GT, couple GT500's), Dodge (Challenger Hellcat), Jeep (3x SRT8 Cherokees) over the last few years. NONE of them were "perfect" and while the fit and finish was best on the Mercedes, a close second was Ford.

I picked up a 2017 Z06 a couple weeks back and so far the paint looks good on mine. The last GM product I owned was a 1989 IROC-Z, so its been a while to say the least. I have the Z06 at a detail shop getting clear bra installed on the entire car, so I will definitely know whether I have similar issues. The car wont be ready for a couple weeks yet, but I will report back on any issues I find.

I know a couple people who have had good luck with GM fixing paint issues, so it may be well worth the roll of the dice. Maybe get them to repaint the affected areas and get them to pay you diminished value of your car? Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

Last edited by IM3CPO; 04-18-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I hate to tell you that there is a good chance the new one you get after trading this one in may be just as bad or even worse. The factory is letting out cars with bad paint jobs. and they know it Nobody should be accepting a car at delivery with paint defects. Until people get more critical the factory won't change their inspection process.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

People were going crazy with paint issues when the C7 came out and then it was quiet for a long time. Luckily none of mine have had any issues (my 16 Z did have the fender vent rub but I consider that a design flaw rather than a paint issue).
The following users liked this post:
TATPAD (02-09-2019)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:55 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

See if you can talk them into paying for a full re-spray of the whole car, and then have the painter add an additional clear coat and wet sand it.

You'll end up with a better paint job than the factory could ever put out.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Moramoto
I recently purchased a 2017 Chevy Corvette z06. After around 400 miles and one wash, I discovered multiple paint defects on my new vehicle.

I am currently in the process of escalating this with chevorlet. I am heart broken that my front and rear bumper, as well as both of my front fenders, have paint bubbling, chipping, and flaws. Initially chevy wanted to paint the 4 panels, and I communicated that I could of bought a used Corvette with less paint issues. My wife's 2014 C7 has great paint (for Chevy standards). What a bummer, I feel like I've lost the appreciation for my new car, and I'm nervous the value will be dimisnished.

Chevy has a computer paint the body at the manufacturing plant when the car is built, my worries are if I had to get panels fixed, a person would have to paint the panels. Even the paint department at Chevy said no matter what, a good eye can tell a painted panel. I'm trying to get this one traded in, so I can get into another one without these tragic flaws.

Just a heads up to inspect your car thoroughly before driving off. I hope this updated 450 million dollar paint booth helps for my future Corvettes.
Good luck with escalating this problem with Chevrolet. Their answer to your problem is to take it to your local Chevy dealer and let them repaint the panel or panels that have bad paint. These ******** already have your money and could care less about your problem. I have been down this road with these thieves.

Last edited by robertbruce; 04-20-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Moramoto

Originally Posted by robertbruce
Good luck with escalating this problem with Chevrolet. Their answer to your problem is to take it to your local Chevy dealer and let them repaint the panel or panels that have bad paint. These ******** already have your money and could care less about your problem. I have been down this road with these thieves.
add me to the list guys.

I know how you feel, years and years of saving money and dreaming for the day I own a Corvette. I knew about the 15/16 issues with the side panels so I waited to order my car.

Well, no issues with the side panel (yet), but my front bumper is a mess. Both ends are peeling where the bumper meets the hood area near the headlights. I'm so disheartened, so let down...I did everything I could to protect this car, wrapped in masking tape most of the car for the ride home, car went straight to XPel installer, waited over a month from build date for paint to cure for the XPel to be applied to the entire body.

Brought my car to the dealership on Saturday, they called me back earlier in the week but I wasn't available. Too upset to even talk to them.

Oh, and it's definitely happening post delivery. I inspected my car very well, washed it multiple times after XPel and Ceramic Coat treatment and never saw it.

Also 1 side started peeling first

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-20-2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry M
add me to the list guys.

I know how you feel, years and years of saving money and dreaming for the day I own a Corvette. I knew about the 15/16 issues with the side panels so I waited to order my car.

Well, no issues with the side panel (yet), but my front bumper is a mess. Both ends are peeling where the bumper meets the hood area near the headlights. I'm so disheartened, so let down...I did everything I could to protect this car, wrapped in masking tape most of the car for the ride home, car went straight to XPel installer, waited over a month from build date for paint to cure for the XPel to be applied to the entire body.

Brought my car to the dealership on Saturday, they called me back earlier in the week but I wasn't available. Too upset to even talk to them.
You wrapped your car in masking tape ? This is dedication and it must have looked strange for the ride home. It seems wrong that anyone spending big money for Chevy's most expensive ride has to resort to this kind of pampering for a brand new car. GM can do better and we know it.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Larry M
add me to the list guys.

Here are some phone numbers you can call but do not get your hopes up. Chevrolet Customer Service 1 800 222 1020, Mathew at 855 880 1400 Ext. 5914430.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
You wrapped your car in masking tape ? This is dedication and it must have looked strange for the ride home. It seems wrong that anyone spending big money for Chevy's most expensive ride has to resort to this kind of pampering for a brand new car. GM can do better and we know it.
Yes, I'm a little crazy

Old 04-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Moramoto
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Oh boy. What was the build date for yours?

I was told that 17's didn't have the fender paint push of the 16s?

man that sucks.

my build date was 2-17
Old 04-20-2017, 01:47 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I hate to tell you that there is a good chance the new one you get after trading this one in may be just as bad or even worse. The factory is letting out cars with bad paint jobs. and they know it Nobody should be accepting a car at delivery with paint defects. Until people get more critical the factory won't change their inspection process.
Perhaps a Class Action Lawsuit would get their attention.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 PM
BLUDVEL-Z06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbruce
Here are some phone numbers you can call but do not get your hopes up. Chevrolet Customer Service 1 800 222 1020, Mathew at 855 880 1400 Ext. 5914430.
What is Mathew's job title ?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:33 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Your paint looks terrible and I hope GM sets it right for you.

I have changed the way I bought my last couple of Corvettes. I don't order them but pick one off the floor of a dealership. That way I can examine the car very carefully and avoid the possible nightmare.

But that doesn't solve your problem. I do hope it gets solved to your satisfaction.

Get notified of new replies

To Check your 2017 Z06 paint over really well

Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

The pictures of the OP's paint are unbelievable. I have seen touch up jobs done with rustoleum rattle cans done better than that paint job on the OP's brand new Z.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 04-20-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I am confused? Why did you accept the car from the dealer when it arrived? Those are not small defects...how did you miss all that?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
I am confused? Why did you accept the car from the dealer when it arrived? Those are not small defects...how did you miss all that?
That is exactly what I was wondering. It's not like these are small "under the radar" flaws.

Quick Reply: Check your 2017 Z06 paint over really well