C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A lap at Sonoma Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickC
Mike,

We all go to Speed SF, with Wa and a bunch of Gt3s and vipers. They all run about the same laptime as I do. Generally, the drivers in Advance group there are much faster than HOD with the same safety standard. And since most cars in that group are running similar lap time, traffic wasnt an issue.

My Cup 2 only last for six sessions and the fronts are done. Front brake pads have only 50% left. I have just switched my CCB disc to steel discs, and they are much cheaper to replace! (Same as brake pads!) Check out Girodisc.com
On my C6Z the cup 2's wear on the front more than the rear. That's Thunderhill and Sears so it wasn't track specific.

They don't last long if you're gonna go at a fast pace. 2 days max. You start building up understeer as they wear down? I found that to be their common trait regardless of alignment.

On the alignment side on the cup2's, atleast for me, going toe out created a lot more wear than adding more camber. The turn in felt soooo good when they were new but didn't make it a whole day
Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 AM
PatrickC
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Robert,

Yes. It was understeering badly as the tires worn out, the front tires are done after six sessions with stock alignment. I am looking for other tires alternative.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Robert,

Yes. It was understeering badly as the tires worn out, the front tires are done after six sessions with stock alignment. I am looking for other tires alternative.

Sadly that's pretty normal for cup 2's. That's how they wear.

Couple of things I learned about the cup 2's.

- Don't try to run a full session hard. You'll destroy them faster. I learned that warm up, 2-3 fast laps, cool down lap, 2 fast, cool down, etc is the best way to keep them alive. The problem I had doing this was running into traffic and having to break rhythm trying to get faster but having to manage the tires so much
- While you can get them upto temp quick. Example, I'd was full on at Thill by T7 on a warmup lap. But that will accelerate that tearing you see on the tires
- Overall, I think the cup 2's are nice tires for a few fast sessions when new but that's about it
- I never found a cure for the understeer
Old 04-28-2017, 05:43 AM
PatrickC
Heel & Toe

Robert,

Thanks for your info. Have you tried wider front tires for the understeering issue? My Plan is to try out 305 F / 325 R Compound and see if handling improves.

My Porsche friends with Cup 2 lasts at least 4 events, I am very disappointed with the C7 Cup 2.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Robert,

Thanks for your info. Have you tried wider front tires for the understeering issue? My Plan is to try out 305 F / 325 R Compound and see if handling improves.

My Porsche friends with Cup 2 lasts at least 4 events, I am very disappointed with the C7 Cup 2.
The stock sizes rubbed the front on my c6z z07 package, so I didn't dare go up in size. If you do try a larger front, please share your feedback as to how the handling changes.

The Porsche Cup2's seem to be a different build/compound than what's on the vettes. Theirs do hold up better and taper off more slowly than on our cars.

I think Chevy might have just gone with super aggressive tires to win magazine track time battles. Similar to the ACR-E with it's tires.

I think you'll probably end up with Hoosiers at the end of the day.

Last edited by Robert R1; 04-28-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:12 AM
PatrickC
Heel & Toe

I have done another testing at the track with track alignment. Car feels so much better and handle very well. I really don't want to go with the Hooiser route as I do not want to carry wheels to the track.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3981202-pb-lap-at-thunderhill-west-no-overheating-20-mins-session-track-alignment.html#post1594642998

Originally Posted by Robert R1
The stock sizes rubbed the front on my c6z z07 package, so I didn't dare go up in size. If you do try a larger front, please share your feedback as to how the handling changes.

The Porsche Cup2's seem to be a different build/compound than what's on the vettes. Theirs do hold up better and taper off more slowly than on our cars.

I think Chevy might have just gone with super aggressive tires to win magazine track time battles. Similar to the ACR-E with it's tires.

I think you'll probably end up with Hoosiers at the end of the day.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:35 AM
Federot
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

May I ask whats increasing TC? Traction Control?
Yes, you are using Sport 1 in both of your videos (Sears Point and THill). Have you tried the other settings?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:41 AM
REDHULK
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by texhawk0
i went to a driving school there when it was called sears point raceway and bob bondurant was there. Do they still have schools there?
i live 5 mins from this track, yes it used to be sears point, to me it will always be sears point, its now sonoma raceway, and yes they have tons of diff schools there, track days etc, even have an amazing go cart track up top, this is a tough track, not alot of room to make mistakes
Old 05-03-2017, 01:12 AM
PatrickC
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Federot
Yes, you are using Sport 1 in both of your videos (Sears Point and THill). Have you tried the other settings?
I wasn't confident enough for Sport 2 for my first two track days with this car. I did feel stability control kicks in and shut power, I was trying to drive smooth enough so it won't kick in before I move to Sport 2.
I will definitely going to try it next time.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:27 AM
PatrickC
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by REDHULK
i live 5 mins from this track, yes it used to be sears point, to me it will always be sears point, its now sonoma raceway, and yes they have tons of diff schools there, track days etc, even have an amazing go cart track up top, this is a tough track, not alot of room to make mistakes
Yes indeed!

Quick Reply: A lap at Sonoma Raceway