C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What's to stop people from buying a space ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
All right you two. Go out, drive your cars and enjoy the day.
d d d d d drrrive it?????
Old 04-22-2017, 01:35 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
d d d d d drrrive it?????
Don't make me spank you Higgs.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:38 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

So you ask, is this practical, thread says no, you get mad.

That's how it looks to everyone else. People in general don't like it when you ask for advice then tell them they are wrong/debate them. Just buy the ECM and try it and let us know what you find out. I don't think many people have done that, if any....it's pretty clear all you will find here is anecdotal and it's up to you to provide something empirical. We would all appreciate your experiment and findings.

Anyways, have a nice weekend.
Thread didn't say "no". Thread didn't say anything besides "Don't try it" for undisclosed reasons.

I won't have a nice weekend until someone figures out that I am looking for the WHY.

I asked a technical question and got feelings. Repeating over and over that I should take this non-advice without question doesn't make sense to me either.

Remember, the thread title is literally "What is to stop people" from doing it, not "Does it make you feel warm and fuzzy if I talk about modifying my ECM".

Anyone has any semblance of a technical notion to add, I'm all ears. More fear and doom-and-gloom merely at the mention of the ECM is of no interest or use to me.

I mean other than 383Vette no one had any useful information. Your own answer was that I shouldn't because it's part of a big network of modules. Not really something I can chew on. So don't tell me that the thread gave me advice that I chose to ignore (that would be ignorant on my part). It gave me a -reaction-, not knowledge.

I'll let you know what I find out from the HPTuners forum (or their tech). I bet it'll be a little crisper. We shall see.

Last edited by davepl; 04-22-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Thread didn't say "no". Thread didn't say anything besides "Don't try it" for undisclosed reasons.

I won't have a nice weekend until someone figures out that I am looking for the WHY.

I asked a technical question and got feelings. Repeating over and over that I should take this non-advice without question doesn't make sense to me either.

Remember, the thread title is literally "What is to stop people" from doing it, not "Does it make you feel warm and fuzzy if I talk about modifying my ECM".

Anyone has any semblance of a technical notion to add, I'm all ears. More fear and doom-and-gloom merely at the mention of the ECM is of no interest or use to me.

I mean other than 383Vette no one had any useful information. Your own answer was that I shouldn't because it's part of a big network of modules. Not really something I can chew on. So don't tell me that the thread gave me advice that I chose to ignore (that would be ignorant on my part). It gave me a -reaction-, not knowledge.

I'll let you know what I find out from the HPTuners forum (or their tech). I bet it'll be a little crisper. We shall see.
My response was just in addition to, not instead of, the other replies you have gotten in this thread and in the first thread you started about the same topic last year, which leads me to believe you are more of a thinker than a doer, which is fine for you.

To make it easier for you so you don't go starting extra threads on HPT also:
https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...CM-Replacement
https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...eplacement+ecu

you can just make a post instead.

I really thinking you are trying to make mountains out of molehills here. No one is more passionate about it than you are. There's no doom and gloom and fear at all, you just prefer to interpret things that way I guess. Again, no one cares what you do with your car or your computers. ;-)

All anyone has said, collectively, is that because the computer network in the vehicle shares information and matches information in different modules, you will need dealer level tools or a dealer to make it work. Of course it's not impossible, the vehicles are serviceable, after all. Of course, if GM asks for an image of the status and history of the system as a whole, they may ask why the ECM is being swapped and there is no warranty claim to match it. Just sayin....

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 04-22-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:03 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

leads me to believe you are more of a thinker than a doer, which is fine for you.
Sorry I didn't get around to ECM hacking last year, I was busy finishing my 4-year frame-off restoration. Which I finished.

I certainly had a higher opinion of you before this thread. Now you've drifted into ad-hominem nonsense about whether I finish my projects? That's when I take my leave.

Enjoy whatever it was you were hoping to accomplish.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:04 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Or I could just light a forum fuse in my thread:

"Hmmm... should I trade up from a C6Z to a C7Z, is it better? Because I'm worried the C7Z will overheat, especially if I get the A8, but I'm not sure which transmission is better, and whether or not I should get the Z07 package with it."
Or chrome wheels vs black wheels. Or front license plates. Or Tadge said that ...
Old 04-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Sorry I didn't get around to ECM hacking last year, I was busy finishing my 4-year frame-off restoration. Which I finished.

I certainly had a higher opinion of you before this thread. Now you've drifted into ad-hominem nonsense about whether I finish my projects? That's when I take my leave.

Enjoy whatever it was you were hoping to accomplish.
It's about the journey, not the destination. I never hope to accomplish anything.

you think I care about your "projects"....You sure take everything the wrong way. be honest, are you hard to get along with? because I'm not. try it sometime.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"...Now I'm thinking I might order one and install it with my own tune just to be contrarian! Wonder what they cost? RockAuto has $165, it can't be THAT cheap and simple...

Just to be clear, it still might be a terrible idea, I just would prefer a concrete reason that it's a bad idea, not uncertainty. I do appreciate the advice and feedback, as I'm not a GenV guy, there's lots new in it."

I'm not the one to answer your initial question. All I'd like is for you to do (go out and buy, install a separate, new ECM) is get a new one, drive it for awhile and have a warranty issue pop up re the powertrain. Then, you can tell us from first-hand knowledge if the claim is honored, or not.

I doubt there are many, if any, who know the factual answer to your question. Or, any who will state the answer. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:54 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AORoads
All I'd like is for you to do (go out and buy, install a separate, new ECM) is get a new one, drive it for awhile and have a warranty issue pop up re the powertrain. Then, you can tell us from first-hand knowledge if the claim is honored, or not.
Had the community been helpful, or even encouraging, I'd be eager to try it and report back. Since it wasn't, watch how fast I go.

I've helped what, 600 people on this board? Then I ask a reasonable question and get hassled for the privilege? I don't think so.

Last edited by davepl; 04-22-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Had the community been helpful, or even encouraging, I'd be eager to try it and report back. Since it wasn't, watch how fast I go.

I've helped what, 600 people on this board? Then I ask a reasonable question and get hassled for the privilege? I don't think so.
oh brother. getting awfully dramatic in here.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:11 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Sometimes you get what you troll for, Higgs.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:42 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Sometimes you get what you troll for, Higgs.
a good time? you're right!

You think I am suffering or something??? You choose how to react to life, man. I didn't do anything to you, pal.

Let me know when you're ready for a hug, I'll be the first to open my arms.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:49 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Sub'd so I get immediate emails on this highly interesting and very engaging conversation. Refreshing the screen over and over to see the next insightful post is wearing out my F5 key. I am hoping for more of Dave's useful transcendental thinking and Higgs' highly refined, witty responses.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:21 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

You think I am suffering or something???
Deeply. But I didn't know it until yesterday.

You choose how to react to life, man.
Indeed, which is why I was able to remain calm while surrounded by idiots.

I didn't do anything to you, pal.
Nor for me.

In the end my technical question was answered on another forum where the measure of success is not how much you can annoy others without yourself suffering (that's a good metric for the baser animals, but not for man), all while I was out watching my kid's little league game on a weekend afternoon.

That's how stuff is -supposed- to work, but every so often I forget where I am.

unsub'd

Last edited by davepl; 04-22-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:46 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

In the end my technical question was answered on another forum
Glad I could provide the link that answers your question.

PS. Don't forget to click Like on my post above since I helped you.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:30 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Something that is confusing me about the whole part about the mileage difference being stored is:

What happens when you have to replace an ECM due to failure? If this is true, then there must be some method that is used to sync the mileage.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by NocarbutaVetteforme
Something that is confusing me about the whole part about the mileage difference being stored is:

What happens when you have to replace an ECM due to failure? If this is true, then there must be some method that is used to sync the mileage.
The dealer performs the task under warranty and GM knows about it so there is no issue.

If the ECM is replaced by an independent shop then it stands to reason it's out of warranty and then a moot point.
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (04-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To What's to stop people from buying a space ECM?

Old 04-23-2017, 01:29 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

If the ECM is replaced by an independent shop then it stands to reason it's out of warranty and then a moot point.
Incorrect. Google "right to repair" law and J2534. Any independent shop can flash your ECM. The law may require that they flash the latest OEM software from AllData or similar (ie: not a custom tune), I don't know that part.

The law requires that independent shops be able to flash modules on their own. It doesn't require that end users be able to, so the J2534 standard was developed as a compromise.

Also incorrect is the notion that you need GM to be involved with my original thread question, though my dealer was happy to assist and save me buying the cable.

The stuff about vehicle mileage in this thread is also wrong.

Last edited by davepl; 04-23-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:57 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Incorrect. Google "right to repair" law and J2534. Any independent shop can flash your ECM. The law may require that they flash the latest OEM software from AllData or similar (ie: not a custom tune), I don't know that part.

The law requires that independent shops be able to flash modules on their own. It doesn't require that end users be able to, so the J2534 standard was developed as a compromise.

Also incorrect is the notion that you need GM to be involved with my original thread question, though my dealer was happy to assist and save me buying the cable.

The stuff about vehicle mileage in this thread is also wrong.
You missed the point as usual. Your post has literally nothing to do with mine.

If you'd like to try again you are welcome to.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:45 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

You missed the point as usual. Your post has literally nothing to do with mine.

If you'd like to try again you are welcome to.
So the question and its implications, as I understand same, are: can you run two ECMs on a car, one tuned and one stock. If so, can you easily swap them and claim your car is stock, in the event of a warranty claim with GM. If the answer is no, what is the mechanism/method whereby GM can determine the subterfuge.

My question comes down to: is there a "trace log" that is kept on our cars that enables GM to know precisely what has been done? My guess is "yes".

Am I correct?

Last edited by HighBeta; 04-23-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: What's to stop people from buying a space ECM?