C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Boostane vs Torco test results

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:58 PM
BOOSTane
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
As you "most likely" know I have tried both brands, Torco & Boostane. I read a lot on here about Torco so I gave it a try first then Boostane. Well it really only took one trip to the track with your brand to make my mind up.

I did pull a plug after trying both brands and that alone settled it for me but I also felt that Boostane had the better punch too.
Well, sir. Thank you for the vote of confidence. If you ever have any questions about blending or performance, feel free to call in anytime.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:52 AM
NorthernZ
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mmt

Originally Posted by BOOSTane
BOOSTane Engineer here. Let us know if we can answer any of your questions.
Welcome Boostane Engineer! Do any Boostane products contain methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT)?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:11 AM
BOOSTane
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by NorthernZ
Welcome Boostane Engineer! Do any Boostane products contain methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT)?
Yes they do! All of our products contain various amounts of MMT depending on application. (i.e. BOOSTane Premium has a lower concentration versus Professional, as it is designed for on road use)

However, while this is a huge hot topic in our industry, let me see if I can dispel some rumors and offer a bit of knowledge on the subject, as there are tons of "garage chemist" that proclaim to be experts that have put a lot of misinformation out there.

First, MMT. The ingredient of concern is Manganese just as Lead is with TEL (Tetra Ethyl Lead). Both fantastic for increasing octane, lubricating engine components, and delivering performance, but if mismanaged or abused can cause negative side-effects (MMT, not TEL).

We have seen and experienced octane booster/race fuel companies blend it with medium like toluene, which then people pour directly in their gas, or even people blend MMT directly with their fuels. The issue with this, especially at higher concentrations, is the density of MMT. Manganese is a metal, it is much heavier than the mediums being used by companies like Torco to deliver the product, or even the gasoline that it is being blended with. So, what happens, is that once the booster or MMT is blended it immediately begins to settle out of solution and fall to the bottom of either the bottle, gas can, or worse gas tank. Once it has coagulated and done so, it can never be reblended into the solution. Therefore, when this clumpy/mucky "active ingredient" is pulled through your fuel system, it comes a a very inefficient and ultra-high concentrated form. This is when plugging of injectors and filters or fouled plugs takes place, which is what I am sure all of you have read about.

This is where our engineers took a different approach. Instead of looking how to increase octane, we took the angle of how do we keep the varying densities of all of our active ingredients (MMT is not the only one we use, and no its not lead) and allow them to stay in solution indefinitely.

Through a method of molecule cross linking, we developed a carrier that enables us to do so. Giving BOOSTane that ability to deliver solutions evenly and efficiently, regardless of how long the fuel sits. Allowing us also to avoid the negative side-effects as well.

A good example of this is on youtube here:

A test we ran over the course of 12 hours that shows the settling of product without our proprietary carrier.

This is a very long convo, but I am happy to continue it if there needs to be any further clarification.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:23 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DogTag-C7R
how are you coming to that conclusion? You use LESS boostane and use MORE torco to get same octane......I'll give you one dollar and you give me 6 quarters because a qtr is cheaper than a dollar and you win what's the source?
If this is true, then the other product must contain More MMT then Torco per quart, since they both have MMT in them...

Torco clearly states that it is important not to expose their product to light, by storing it in a glass container or the like, this will cause the separation. As long as it is kept in the metal can and jugs prier to putting it in your "dark" gas tank, it will not separate. It seems this open admission by Torco was possibly used as a promo by another company to beat them up. Yes, they appear to use different "carriers" for the MMT, but if one holds onto the the MMT better then the other, does it have a tougher time mixing with the regular fuel once it hits your gas tank...

Torco has been around for 19 years, and has proven itself over time to be one way among many, to stay off KR. Again, I've had success using it for well over a decade now, and run it in all three of my vettes in every tank full, I'm tuned on it, with no down side. Torco is not the only game in town, just a very good/proven option that I will continue to rely on.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:29 AM
BOOSTane
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
If this is true, then the other product must contain More MMT then Torco per quart, since they both have MMT in them...

Torco clearly states that it is important not to expose their product to light, by storing it in a glass container or the like, this will cause the separation. As long as it is kept in the metal can and jugs prier to putting it in your "dark" gas tank, it will not separate. It seems this open admission by Torco was possibly used as a promo by another company to beat them up. Yes, they appear to use different "carriers" for the MMT, but if one holds onto the the MMT better then the other, does it have a tougher time mixing with the regular fuel once it hits your gas tank...

Torco has been around for 19 years, and has proven itself over time to be one way among many, to stay off KR. Again, I've had success using it for well over a decade now, and run it in all three of my vettes in every tank full, I'm tuned on it, with no down side. Torco is not the only game in town, just a very good/proven option that I will continue to rely on.
I may be able to shed some "light" on this matter. I recently replied to this thread explaining the chemistry of MMT and its affects with regards to carriers and delivery.

In short to what I explained earlier, the delivery is what our engineers to find to be the most crucial part. If a product such as Torco doesn't have a carrier to keep active ingredients such as MMT suspended throughout the life cycle of that fuel, it will lose effectivity. Versus a product that has developed a proprietary carrier, the efficiency goes up exponentially, enabling lower amount of "active ingredients" to be more effective.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:28 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Hi Boostane - since you're the technical guy, I have a bit of a random question about octane. Often (at least years ago) you'll see aromatics like toluene or xylene added to fuel to increase octane.

What if one goes to a paint store, buys a quart of toluene or xylene, and dumps it into a full tank of gas. Would that even work? How effective would it be for octane?

It's purely a curiosity question, as I'm sure Boostane or Race-Gas is more effective, and likely cheaper, it's just something I've been curious about from before we had quality concentrates to choose from.

Last edited by davepl; 05-02-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:58 PM
BOOSTane
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Hi Boostane - since you're the technical guy, I have a bit of a random question about octane. Often (at least years ago) you'll see aromatics like toluene or xylene added to fuel to increase octane.

What if one goes to a paint store, buys a quart of toluene or xylene, and dumps it into a full tank of gas. Would that even work? How effective would it be for octane?

It's purely a curiosity question, as I'm sure Boostane or Race-Gas is more effective, and likely cheaper, it's just something I've been curious about from before we had quality concentrates to choose from.
This is where I usually say, "There is more than one way to skin a cat", and you are right, for many years adding products like this into the fuel have varying affects on a fuels octane rating. However, this is not an exact science. Depending on concentration levels tuning can become an issue, as you could be leaning out the fuel. There is also a "dryness" to these fuels that you also run the risk of increase wear on the engine.

In a pinch, one could use these products to increase octane, but without testing, there is no sustainability or ratios that you could depend on.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:32 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

These tests are subject to the same variables as a dyno, maybe even more.

I think this is good data, but you have to consider signal to noise ratio. The variations we're seeing between the three fall within the noise limits and need to be factored out.

In other words, all three fuel solutions came out close enough that they should be considered the same.

Having said that, I've been using 100 octane mixed 3:1 with 91 octane here in California.

If I get it exactly right (which I probably don't) that math = 93.25 octane.
At that octane with my scan tool plugged in, I get ZERO knock retard / spark retard.

Not sure if that's true for everyone but the car seems to be capable of it.

I also have a 2017 Z06, I've heard the 2017 has a different tune and different cooling which could affect timing regardless of octane.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:43 PM
BOOSTane
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by angryBits
These tests are subject to the same variables as a dyno, maybe even more.

I think this is good data, but you have to consider signal to noise ratio. The variations we're seeing between the three fall within the noise limits and need to be factored out.

In other words, all three fuel solutions came out close enough that they should be considered the same.

Having said that, I've been using 100 octane mixed 3:1 with 91 octane here in California.

If I get it exactly right (which I probably don't) that math = 93.25 octane.
At that octane with my scan tool plugged in, I get ZERO knock retard / spark retard.

Not sure if that's true for everyone but the car seems to be capable of it.

I also have a 2017 Z06, I've heard the 2017 has a different tune and different cooling which could affect timing regardless of octane.
Angrybits, you are probably accurate on your math. The issue comes when you dont have 100octane readily available to blend with? 3:1 ratio would mean that you have transport a few gallons of 100 octane in your trunk if you want to drive any sort of distance?

This was an issue that we ran into for years. Availability and reliability in regards to convenience. We had to make sure that we could always make it back to the garage, otherwise would be stranded until someone would bring us pails of race fuel.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:37 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Thanks for the welcome. I am sure we can figure something out to help take care of avid enthusiasts such as yourselves, but I am one of the development engineers, therefore my focus will be answering fuel questions, etc.

That being said, as a chemical engineer, I am happy to offer information outside of BOOSTane as well, i.e. octane ratings, ethanol, heavy metals, future of fuels, engine tech with regards to fuel, etc.

I know some of your initial concerns was cost and depositing. With respects to BOOSTane our costs comes primarily from the proprietary carrier that our team developed. As I am sure all of you know there are million ways to increase octane. Ferrocene for example is a very inexpensive way of doing so. However, ferrocene comes from iron, so as you can imagine this would lead to oxygenation. Therefore, we worked to develop a product that not only increased octane but did so reliably and sustainably, thus our carrier.

Our ability to keep active ingredients suspended indefinitely in solution allows for better/more efficient delivery as well as combating phase separation from varying densities while also stabilizing todays fuels from the hygroscopic nature (water absorption) of ethanol in our fuels today.

Anyway, feel free to fire away.
As the label on the can states, BOOSTane has undergone independent tests to confirm the claims on the can. Can you post the independent tests? Torco posted their independent test so it would seem BOOSTane can match them.

Your post above never addressed the use of MMT or not and several people have asked, can you confirm MMT isn't in BOOSTane?

Finally, with reference to the bolded in your post above...ferrocene is a complex compound produced by several methods and iron is just one of the elements, ferrocene doesn't come from iron. I also don't understand the rest of your bolded comment...what would lead to oxygenation of what? Maybe some things were lost in translation by trying to simplify your explanation...

Octane boosters have a reputation as snake oil because they deserve it, that's an unfortunate thing for the ones that actually work like Torco and BOOSTane. I stand behind my earlier comment that the best octane boosters are only good for a 2-3 octane number increase which is actually a very good accomplishment for a 32 ounce can of liquid. I'm looking forward to seeing the independent report.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:50 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Angrybits, you are probably accurate on your math. The issue comes when you dont have 100octane readily available to blend with? 3:1 ratio would mean that you have transport a few gallons of 100 octane in your trunk if you want to drive any sort of distance?

This was an issue that we ran into for years. Availability and reliability in regards to convenience. We had to make sure that we could always make it back to the garage, otherwise would be stranded until someone would bring us pails of race fuel.
For sure. Not disagree with you at all. I was only referring to what someone had said earlier about the car pulling timing w/ 93 octane. My car doesn't seem to pull timing w/ 93 octane.

As for your point about availability, I think Torco is a great option. In fact, I'm considering it out of convenience as well. The gas station that provides 100 octane gas is about 30 minutes away and it costs $7.50 per gallon. I end up filling 4 x 5 gallon cans in my trunk plus I hyper saturate my tank to about 50:50 mix. which means I'm hauling about 30 gallons of 100 octane fuel This combo lasts me about 6 tank fills or about 6 weeks. Not bad but too pricey and also very messy.

Torco can be delivered to my door and I'm dealing with a 32oz can rather than a 5 gallon can. I do worry (slightly) about the longevity effect on the spark plugs though.

Last edited by angryBits; 05-02-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:08 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Yikes, did a quick search and saw this. Maybe I don't want torco?

I'd love to hear some accounts from those that have run it in an engine for 10+ years

Old 05-02-2017, 05:11 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm assuming these are extreme pics of the MMT (orange) deposits? I only use Torco when I go to the track to help bring my octane up 3-4 points. I also do not believe that a can of either product will bring octane from 93 to over 100. I would like to know if running Torco or Boostane will harm anything if it's used 5-6 times a year?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:45 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
I'm assuming these are extreme pics of the MMT (orange) deposits? I only use Torco when I go to the track to help bring my octane up 3-4 points. I also do not believe that a can of either product will bring octane from 93 to over 100. I would like to know if running Torco or Boostane will harm anything if it's used 5-6 times a year?
I just found those pics from a quick google search.

I'm considering using 8oz of Torco with every tank. But I don't want to if those photos are going to happen to my car.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:13 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Everyone must ultimately decide what's ok and not ok for them, but if you do a search on me, you'll see I've been running Torco in EVERY tank for well over a decade, and have NEVER had one negative outcome from using it. I also drive all three of my Corvettes (all tuned on Torco/91) VERY hard, and enjoy racing them on the road course, runway, and up and down the mountain roads where I live...

I'm considering using 8oz of Torco with every tank. But I don't want to if those photos are going to happen to my car.

Remember, who knows how much of what these folks used and put in their tanks, all I can say is it not only works for me, but does it with out any negative side effects.... Many other have been using torco for the last year and a half in their BRAND new C7 Z06s, and I have not seen anyone complain yet.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:15 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Try it and report back.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

There is no reason to run octane boosters or any other additives in your car. Ever.

If you want a little more octane because you are going to use it and NEED it, like you are trying to set a record at your local track, then ok, buy some race gas for that one time.

If you think Torco or Boostane will help you make it home before your milk expires.....use that money to just buy more milk.

Seriously. Huge waste of money and this is coming from a guy that loves messing with cars. You just don't need it, it's worse than putting stickers on your car. It's worse than putting lights under your car.
The following users liked this post:
The Yav (05-11-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Boostane vs Torco test results

Old 05-02-2017, 11:52 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
There is no reason to run octane boosters or any other additives in your car. Ever.

If you want a little more octane because you are going to use it and NEED it, like you are trying to set a record at your local track, then ok, buy some race gas for that one time.

If you think Torco or Boostane will help you make it home before your milk expires.....use that money to just buy more milk.

Seriously. Huge waste of money and this is coming from a guy that loves messing with cars. You just don't need it, it's worse than putting stickers on your car. It's worse than putting lights under your car.
Higgs, all due respect but I've seen my time slips with and without Torco at the drag strip. These cars need octane! I run a mix of 93/100 when possible but it's not available for everyone and it's pretty expensive. Maybe I should just pull my plugs and see for myself
Old 05-03-2017, 12:55 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Higgs, all due respect but I've seen my time slips with and without Torco at the drag strip. These cars need octane! I run a mix of 93/100 when possible but it's not available for everyone and it's pretty expensive. Maybe I should just pull my plugs and see for myself
Like I said if you go to the strip and are trying to break a record, personal, internet, track, whatever, then yes, I have said many times 93 is not enough for full spark lead.....

What I am saying is that if you are bracket racing or just using the car on the street then don't waste your time or money.

And yes, unleaded race gas is the right way to do it but to each their own.
The following users liked this post:
The Yav (07-08-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 05:51 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Yikes, did a quick search and saw this. Maybe I don't want torco?

I'd love to hear some accounts from those that have run it in an engine for 10+ years

Is there a way of knowing whether those deposits are due to the MMT, or if they're deposits from other causes, which have simply been colored orange by the MMT?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-03-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Boostane vs Torco test results