C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Anyone ever checked their CV shaft play?? (vids)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 03:36 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Default Anyone ever checked their CV shaft play?? (vids)

I started noticing an occasional "clunk" of large, slow speed bumps, got the car up on the lift today and the only thing I found that seemed loose was the CV shafts... Seems like there is a LOT more play in this CV shaft then there should be too me. Both shafts have some play but this left one seems really excessive....definitely seems like it could be the source of my noise. No vibrations or other noises...just a noticeable clunk from time to time.

Has anyone ever checked their CV shafts for play? I'm trying to decide if this is considered normal. I know my C5Z never did this. Play is both in/out and up/down.... more so up and down though. Left side is WAY more noticeable then the right side...

Thoughts?

I guess I will get it to the dealer but, that's like pullin teeth if they can't "replicate the problem" so....:ack

A8 car, 6500 miles.

Last edited by ajrothm; 04-23-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:35 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Mine started to clunk after they replaced the differential every time I let off the gas and then accelerate. I think it’s play in the ring and pinion but I’m going to jack it up and check the shafts.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
Mine started to clunk after they replaced the differential every time I let off the gas and then accelerate. I think it’s play in the ring and pinion but I’m going to jack it up and check the shafts.

Yeah this one has up and down play on both sides of the shaft, so it’s not in the diff...just feels like the ball bearings in the CV shafts are excessively loose. I could see “some” play in and out but...this seems aweful loose.

If you check yours out, please report back and lemme know if they shake and clank like mine. I have a hard time believing this is normal. I’d like to get it replaced before it blows and beats the car to death.

Last edited by ajrothm; 04-23-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever checked their CV shaft play?? (vids)

Quick Reply: Anyone ever checked their CV shaft play?? (vids)